PDA

View Full Version : Bush in new book: 'I do a lot of crying in this job'

SteelersMongol
09-04-2007, 04:46 AM
(CNN) ? A new book about President George W. Bush claims former deputy chief of staff Karl Rove discouraged the president from naming Dick Cheney as his running mate, and suggests Rove objected to nominating former White House counsel Harriet Miers to the U.S. Supreme Court.

In the book, ?Dead Certain: The Presidency of George W. Bush,? to be released Tuesday, journalist Robert Draper describes dissent among some of the President's closest advisers even before Bush reached the White House. CNN was able to purchase a copy of the book on Monday.

On selecting Cheney as the vice presidential running mate in 2000, Draper, paraphrasing Rove?s thinking, writes, ?Selecting Daddy's top foreign-policy guy ran counter to message. It was worse than a safe pick ? it was needy.? But, Draper writes, ?Bush didn't care. He was comfortable with Cheney.?

Draper claims that when Rove raised objections about Miers, he was "shouted down.? The book also claims that Chief Justice John Roberts suggested Miers as a possible Supreme Court nominee.

Kathy Arberg, a spokeswoman for the Court, categorically denied this passage, telling CNN, "The Chief Justice did not suggest Harriet Miers to the president. The account is not true."

The White House had no comment on the book as well as any specific allegations.

In researching the book, Draper interviewed President Bush six times. He includes some very intimate details about the president?s life. Bush is quoted as saying that ?self-pity is the worst thing that can happen to a presidency.? But the president is quoted as saying first lady Laura Bush reminds him that "'I decided to do this.'"

Draper says President Bush also admits that he cries. ?I've got God's shoulder to cry on. And I cry a lot. I do a lot of crying in this job. I'll bet I've shed more tears than you can count, as president," Bush told Draper.

After he leaves office, President Bush is quoted as telling Draper that he wants to build what he calls a "Fantastic Freedom Institute" in Dallas. He describes it as being a place where young leaders can come, write and lecture.

But first, Bush tells Draper, he wants to make some money to "replenish the ol' coffers,? noting he can make "ridiculous? money on the lecture circuit.

?I don't know what my dad gets. But it's more than 50, 75 [thousand] ? Clinton's making a lot of money," the president is quoted as saying.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2007/09/03/book-bush-does-a-lot-of-crying-in-this-job/

SteelersMongol
09-04-2007, 04:50 AM
How can anyone not cry while getting a news about young men and women are dying pretty much everyday because of his own decision. :pity:

Mosca
09-04-2007, 08:35 AM
It's nice that he is devoting at least a little bit of his thoughts toward his own personal remuneration. And that he doesn't like the pay.

Atlanta Dan
09-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Fantastic Freedom Institute? :sofunny:

Hopefully there will also be a Hall of Super Heroes.

83-Steelers-43
09-04-2007, 05:08 PM
How can anyone not cry while getting a news about young men and women are dying pretty much everyday because of his own decision. :pity:

Oh you haven't heard? Bush doesn't feel anything for the families or friends of those who died. He's inhumane. Just ask the likes of Mr. ESPN Keith Olbermann. :rolleyes:

Stlrs4Life
09-04-2007, 08:59 PM
But first, Bush tells Draper, he wants to make some money to "replenish the ol' coffers,” noting he can make "ridiculous” money on the lecture circuit.

LOL! Who is he going to lecture? Special Olympics?

Well, I have 1 thing in common with him, I cry alot while he is in office also.

MasterOfPuppets
09-04-2007, 09:04 PM
[QUOTE=Stlrs4Life;287989]But first, Bush tells Draper, he wants to make some money to "replenish the ol' coffers,” noting he can make "ridiculous” money on the lecture circuit.

LOL! Who is he going to lecture? Special Olympics?

Well, I have 1 thing in common with him, I cry alot while he is in office also.[/QUOTE
]:sofunny: you beat me to it....:dang:

revefsreleets
09-04-2007, 09:20 PM
I read "State of Denial" by Bob Woodward, which was hardly a pro-Bush book, but even Woodward conceded that Bush visited the injured troops probably more than any other President in history. Stories like that don't make good pub because they paint a picture of Bush with human brush, and his strictest and harshest critics (as we can see by some of the posts in this very thread) only see Bush as the devil. No good act on his part will ever dissuade them of that view. I find it very narrow minded and myopic to blindly hate a person based on politics alone, but that's the sad reality.

Stlrs4Life
09-04-2007, 09:28 PM
I read "State of Denial" by Bob Woodward, which was hardly a pro-Bush book, but even Woodward conceded that Bush visited the injured troops probably more than any other President in history. Stories like that don't make good pub because they paint a picture of Bush with human brush, and his strictest and harshest critics (as we can see by some of the posts in this very thread) only see Bush as the devil. No good act on his part will ever dissuade them of that view. I find it very narrow minded and myopic to blindly hate a person based on politics alone, but that's the sad reality.

If it walks like a duck, Quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.

MasterOfPuppets
09-04-2007, 09:33 PM
I I find it very narrow minded and myopic to blindly hate a person based on politics alone, but that's the sad reality.
hmmmmm, your right....i guess i'll have to give mr hitler a pass, since i never met him....i guess he could"ve been a descent guy outside of politics ,that got a bad rap from the media...:toofunny:

GBMelBlount
09-04-2007, 09:40 PM
It's nice that he is devoting at least a little bit of his thoughts toward his own personal remuneration. And that he doesn't like the pay.

It's a free country.

GBMelBlount
09-04-2007, 09:49 PM

I am very thankful we have been safe in the U.S. for many years. Thank you all for your service & God bless. The extremists have been at war with us for far longer. There goal is not to defeat us, but to DESTROY us.

revefsreleets
09-04-2007, 10:10 PM
If it walks like a duck, Quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck. Does it? I bet if your candidate affected the exact same policies, but from the opposite side of the aisle, you'd back him unconditionally. No offense intended, and I know what the responses will be, but it gets old and worn out. I gave up on party affiliations and I hope that someday all other like-minded and enlightened individuals will join in. Until that day, well...

Hines0wnz
09-05-2007, 02:23 AM

Nicely put.

Cases in point.....

hmmmmm, your right....i guess i'll have to give mr hitler a pass, since i never met him....i guess he could"ve been a descent guy outside of politics ,that got a bad rap from the media...:toofunny:

Preacher
09-05-2007, 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets http://forums.steelersfever.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=288011#post288011)

Nicely put.

Cases in point.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life http://forums.steelersfever.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=288019#post288019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets http://forums.steelersfever.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=288025#post288025)

Yep...

Which is why I finally bailed out of talking politics on this page site. Too much Your evil, we're great going on.

X-Terminator
09-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Yep...

Which is why I finally bailed out of talking politics on this page site. Too much Your evil, we're great going on.

It took you that long? I gave up talking politics here and everywhere else a LONG time ago. Many people are, quite frankly, too immature when it comes to politics to have anything resembling a rational discussion, and I'd rather not deal with the headaches. I mean, here's a book where the President shows a very human side to himself, and yet, there are those who still can't resist taking pot shots at him.

It's both amazing and disheartening to see how far the level of discourse has fallen in this country over the past 15 years - not just in politics, but in general. And I fear it isn't going to get any better any time soon.

Hammer67
09-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Does it? I bet if your candidate affected the exact same policies, but from the opposite side of the aisle, you'd back him unconditionally. No offense intended, and I know what the responses will be, but it gets old and worn out. I gave up on party affiliations and I hope that someday all other like-minded and enlightened individuals will join in. Until that day, well...

Very valid assessment. It is hard in this "chat room" age to get really good political discourse without descending into some bi partisan bickering. It's as if everyone tow's the party line. In fact, I am always amazed at the hypocrisy of people who follow either the left or right so firmly that they have no reason. Look at the people bashing Bush for going at it alone in Iraq. I bet not one of those people said a thing when Clinton went to Kosovo.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-05-2007, 04:54 PM
I would cry too if I were Bush

revefsreleets
09-05-2007, 05:53 PM
I still like to talk politics, but I just have a different view now. It actually makes the arguments more interesting.