PDA

View Full Version : Madden Column 9/3/07 - Face It, Steelers Mediocre

alittlejazzbird
09-04-2007, 02:33 PM
All right....my feelings about Mark Madden are public knowledge in this forum. Putting aside all the negative, angry emotions he delights in stirring up, is there anything here that actually has merit?
09/03/2007
Madden Column: Face it, Steelers mediocre
By: Mark Madden

Steelers fans are to be commended for not accepting mediocrity.

But they look kind of silly when they can't spot it.

This year's model looks like an 8-8 team, and is closer to 6-10 than 10-6. Only a miraculous year by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger could propel the Steelers into the playoffs.

Don't rule that out. If Roethlisberger plumbs the versatility and unpredictability of his new offense while avoiding capital punishment at the hands of his line, great things are possible. If the Steelers fail, Roethlisberger will wake up with a headache most Mondays while absorbing an unfair share of the blame, but every quarterback signs that Faustian contract.

Beyond Roethlisberger, the Steelers are average. That's a blasphemous thought in these parts. But in the land of the wild-eyed yinzer, the objective thinker rules.

Consider this: How many Steelers starters are good enough to start for a legitimate postseason contender? How many Steelers defenders could start for, say, Baltimore?

The Ravens would laugh at Clark Haggans and James Harrison.

The Ravens would laugh at the Steelers cornerbacks.

James Farrior, Larry Foote, Casey Hampton, Troy Polamalu and Aaron Smith provide the only true quality on the Steelers defense. Brett Keisel may join that pack; he has the football sense and athletic ability to handle his expanded role.

How many starters on the Steelers offense could start for Cincinnati? Hines Ward could be the third receiver. Maybe.

Roethlisberger, Alan Faneca, Willie Parker and Marvel Smith are legit big-timers. Santonio Holmes and Heath Miller might be. Ward is a lot closer to the end of his prime than the beginning.

It's a bit skewed to compare the Steelers to the best their division rivals have to offer while ignoring the worst of the Ravens and Bengals. Baltimore quarterback Steve McNair could easily jump back on the scrap heap, while Cincinnati's rotten defense doesn't have even a single playmaker.

But it's difficult to imagine the Steelers outscoring Cincinnati, and equally difficult to imagine the Steelers scoring enough against Baltimore. The Steelers figure to again be brutalized two straight by the Ravens. Going 1-1 against Cincinnati seems possible only because the Bengals loathe prosperity.

If the Steelers really see themselves as a Super Bowl contender not far removed from winning XL, hiring a rookie head coach from outside the organization was bad. Continuity from within would have been better.

The Steelers' saving grace may be their undemanding early schedule.

At Cleveland this coming Sunday, then Buffalo and San Francisco at home, at Arizona, then home against Seattle. If the Steelers get through that stretch 4-1 (or, speaking idealistically, 5-0), momentum has been built and wiggle room created.

The schedule gets a lot harder. But if the Steelers begin 5-0, 10-6 and a playoff berth seems realistic. If the Steelers begin 3-2, that might seem OK but will actually be a deep hole.

The Steelers will come up short at center, where behemoth foes will bully Sean Mahan physically. Tackle Willie Colon is unproven. Holmes and Miller must fulfill their promise. More important, each must be given ample chance to fulfill his promise.

On defense, the outside linebackers are below average. The best cornerback won't be starting.

It all adds up to mediocre. It all adds up to 8-8. Recognize, will you?

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18777520&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478568&rfi=6

ChronoCross
09-04-2007, 02:35 PM
Remind me to have a bat with me if I ever see Mark Ignorant Madden.

SteelerFanInCA
09-04-2007, 02:40 PM
What a total idiot this guy Madden is. Like he knows anything about football.

UK CANDY BEE
09-04-2007, 02:41 PM
the land of the wild-eyed yinzer,

:toofunny:

fansince'76
09-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Coming from a fat, bitter slob, I would expect nothing less.

Crushzilla
09-04-2007, 02:47 PM
I'm very confused by the parallels he draws considering he immediately admits that the Bengals defense and Ravens offense are bad.

I would rather have a balanced squad between the three teams. Solid offense, solid defense, solid STs.

Mark Madden's NFL sees one dimensional teams winning the Super Bowl?

It happens, but it can hardly be called a correlation.

Santonio Holmes has proved that he belongs to be on the field. I also notice that he doesn't mention Krieder in his offensive analysis. Even if we do plan to see more 3 WR and 2 TE sets, he is still our starting fullback and one that many teams would love to have. Even the snickering, apparently, Ravens.

I'm sure Madden also expected the Ravens to be mediocre last year after a poor '05 showing.

But the Ravens '05 team wasn't bad, they just had some bad breaks. Right?

That doesn't apply to the '06 Steelers.

Damn right we don't accept meritocracy. We're 0-0. We have the best record in football.

I also enjoyed how he covered his ass for when the Steelers come out 4-1, hopefully 5-0.

Mark Madden spews this false confidence. He portrays himself as a full contact journalist and then eases up on his point so he can weasel out of it when his predictions bomb.

Going 1-1 against Cincinnati seems possible only because the Bengals loathe prosperity.

[translation] "If we beat the Bengals it is ONLY because they are holding themselves back."

At Cleveland this coming Sunday, then Buffalo and San Francisco at home, at Arizona, then home against Seattle. If the Steelers get through that stretch 4-1 (or, speaking idealistically, 5-0), momentum has been built and wiggle room created.

[translation] "They only stand a chance because they were handed an easy schedule"

And also.

The best cornerback won't be starting.

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Mark, if you're going to make a stand, use that weight of yours. Stand firm. Don't falter. Don't be afraid to "man up" when you wiff.

Don't worry about it. No one respects you as it is.

onthebus36
09-04-2007, 02:48 PM
For a toolbox who prides himself on going against the grain and making bold predictions, he sure gives himself plenty of fudge room.

To paraphrase the article, the Steelers might suck or they might make the playoffs.

Wow! That's some penetrating analysis!

Infamix
09-04-2007, 02:49 PM
I am going to give an un-biased opinion here (let the flaming begin) and say that Madden does have a COUPLE valid points...

We don't know how Sean is gonna do at center. Our cornerbacks aren't the greatest, by any means. Everyone here knows that.

I do disagree when he said our linebackers are below average, theyre definitely aging but theyre definitely now BELOW average. I dont' see losing Porter as a big deal.

After what Baltimore did to us last year, anyone has the right to say that they are clearly the better team. I really do believe that we can beat Cinci and obviously the Browns...

He doesn't appear very confident in his analysis as a whole, but he did have some valid points.

just my .02

UK CANDY BEE
09-04-2007, 02:49 PM
That Madden fellow is just another media know-nothing !!

How many of those so called "experts" proclaimed this time last year that teams like the Saints and Jets were going to be playoff teams ??

None that I ever read !!

We'll find out once again in the coming weeks just how moronic they truly are !!

The real shame is that they are getting PAID for their stupidity !!

Infamix
09-04-2007, 02:53 PM
That Madden fellow is just another media know-nothing !!

How many of those so called "experts" proclaimed this time last year that teams like the Saints and Jets were going to be playoff teams ??

None that I ever read !!

We'll find out once again in the coming weeks just how moronic they truly are !!

The real shame is that they are getting PAID for their stupidity !!

Don't ever try and use the Jets/Saints as examples to possibly justify predicting a miracle season for the browns...

jk man =D

Crushzilla
09-04-2007, 02:54 PM
I am going to give an un-biased opinion here (let the flaming begin) and say that Madden does have a COUPLE valid points...

We don't know how Sean is gonna do at center. Our cornerbacks aren't the greatest, by any means. Everyone here knows that.

I do disagree when he said our linebackers are below average, theyre definitely aging but theyre definitely now BELOW average. I dont' see losing Porter as a big deal.

After what Baltimore did to us last year, anyone has the right to say that they are clearly the better team. I really do believe that we can beat Cinci and obviously the Browns...

He doesn't appear very confident in his analysis as a whole, but he did have some valid points.

just my .02

Agreed. We can't deny that Mahan and the corners are going to be question marks, but what really toasts my buns (I went there) is that this guy is essentially going after Steelers Nation for being such homers.

His defense? A bunch of tiptoeing and unreliable parallels.

If you're going to go after the Steelers, then bring the thunder. If there is one thing they have proven, its that the cynics can never peg them.

tony hipchest
09-04-2007, 02:55 PM
so if you put the bengals offense with the ravens defense you have a great team. thats understandable.

however if you put the ravens offense with the bengals defense you get the browns.

i guess its a good thing the steelers wont be playing maddens little game of fantasy football then.

Infamix
09-04-2007, 02:57 PM
Agreed. We can't deny that Mahan and the corners are going to be question marks, but what really toasts my buns (I went there) is that this guy is essentially going after Steelers Nation for being such homers.

His defense? A bunch of tiptoeing and unreliable parallels.

If you're going to go after the Steelers, then bring the thunder. If there is one thing they have proven, its that the cynics can never peg them.

x2...I didn't like his tone towards SteelerNation

UK CANDY BEE
09-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Don't ever try and use the Jets/Saints as examples to possibly justify predicting a miracle season for the browns...

jk man =D

Hey......... the Steelers got their act together after a disaster a few years ago....... the Jets and Saints did what no one thought they would.........I see no reason it can't be our turn in Cleveland !!

.......but I am sure you do !!

......in which case I'll just lump you in with "them"..... :jammin:

rog
09-04-2007, 03:05 PM
The sky is green the grass is blue the Browns don't have questions at QB and Mark Madden knows football. See I could do his job it's not even hard. All you gotta do is just think and speak as a total a$$. All yea he is skinny too.

onthebus36
09-04-2007, 03:38 PM
x2...I didn't like his tone towards SteelerNation

I saw him on NFL Network and he said that he hated the term "Steeler Nation." That was the same interview where he said the Terrible Towel was a glorified bar rag.

Getting back to the article, he has some points. And really, they are the same concerns every other pundit has had. It isn't exactly breaking new ground to ask questions about the corners, O-line, and new coach.

If you think this is an 8-8 team, tell me why you think so and make it a good argument. Don't say you think this is an 8-8 team but they could go 6-10 or make the playoffs. That's BS.

Atlanta Dan
09-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Consider the source and ignore it - Madden's job is to provoke, not to inform.

As Chuck Noll said in response to cokehead Hollywood Henderson talking trash before SB XIII, empty drums make the most noise.

delhess
09-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Mark Madden spews this false confidence. He portrays himself as a full contact journalist and then eases up on his point so he can weasel out of it when his predictions bomb.

good post crushzilla.

this guy is the michael moore of nfl journalism. (that's not a complement)

Edman
09-04-2007, 04:40 PM
That is what Madden's job is. He knows the Steelers are highly valued and very popular in Pittsburgh, so he bashes them, the organization, the fans, and the traditions on his show and rile them up to get ratings and attention.

Without the Steelers to pick on, his ratings plummet. Guarantee you that. He may never want to admit it, but he knows it and we all know it. Madden is a fat*** shock jock and nothing more. He's out for ratings. He's doing this on purpose to get ratings. And in Pittsburgh, what better way to get attention than to rag on the most popular sports team in town?

83-Steelers-43
09-04-2007, 04:45 PM
My opinion on Madden.......

Horrible when it comes to Steelers football.

Pretty good when it comes to Penguins hockey.

Although his article about the Bus has some good points in my opinion, but I did feel he went a little far in some respects.

Also, there's a simple cure for those who don't like him.......don't listen to him or bother reading his articles. That option is also available for when it comes to Ron Cook, Mike Prisuta, Ed Bouchette, etc. etc.

It works for me when it comes to the Steeler "experts" at ESPN and SI. :thumbsup:

Atlanta Dan
09-04-2007, 04:47 PM
That is what Madden's job is. He knows the Steelers are highly valued and very popular in Pittsburgh, so he bashes them, the organization, the fans, and the traditions on his show and rile them up to get ratings and attention.

Without the Steelers to pick on, his ratings plummet. Guarantee you that. He may never want to admit it, but he knows it and we all know it. Madden is a fat*** shock jock and nothing more. He's out for ratings. He's doing this on purpose to get ratings. And in Pittsburgh, what better way to get attention than to rag on the most popular sports team in town?

Agreed - he tried and failed to take his schtick natonal when he crashed and burned on ESPN Radio.

Keep in mind this is someone who takes pride in having been involved in the "editing" of a pro wrestler's "autobiography" when considering the value of Madden's views on anything.

Preacher
09-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Ok...

I know this is blasphemy, but he ACTUALLY has a number of valid points.

Except for Ike (maybe, depending on how he plays this year), are we REALLY that excited about our CB play? While Harrison looks pretty dang good, I think as good as Porter looked, as a whole, until we get Woodley out there, and Timmons (Hopefully) steps up, do we really have a top tier LB corp? I have to answer, no.

How many starters on the Steelers offense could start for Cincinnati? Hines Ward could be the third receiver. Maybe.

Roethlisberger, Alan Faneca, Willie Parker and Marvel Smith are legit big-timers. Santonio Holmes and Heath Miller might be. Ward is a lot closer to the end of his prime than the beginning.

Hines would be second... but we play a different kind of ball here. Hines is a possession/blocking receiver. Not a proper comparison. However, can we really argue about the line? he is right about Santo and Heath, but we have to USE them more, which means that we have to see the Ben of OLD, not last year (which I think we will). We don't like to think of Ward as being on the downslope of his career, but he is now in his thirties. The moment he loses a step, he will be a man to man receiver, covered by one person. His route running will help, as will his hands. But we are seeing the last 2 or 3 years of Hines.

If the Steelers really see themselves as a Super Bowl contender not far removed from winning XL, hiring a rookie head coach from outside the organization was bad. Continuity from within would have been better.

Here he is just plain wrong.

The one thing he just doesn't get, is that it has been a Pittsburgh style to have a team that the sum of the parts is much greater then the whole. He just doesn't get that. That is why, while he is accurate in his assessment, he is off in his prediction.

83-Steelers-43
09-04-2007, 05:11 PM
*Hands Preacher a passport and 3 million in euros*

Run man run, run for your life!!!

Preacher
09-04-2007, 05:29 PM
*Hands Preacher a passport and 3 million in euros*

Run man run, run for your life!!!

:sofunny::sofunny:

Speaking one's mind is a curse!

Mosca
09-04-2007, 05:51 PM
LOL, he's paid to start controversy. So he did.

It's inane to even get worked up over this. THIS IS WHY THEY PLAY THE FREAKIN' GAMES! BECAUSE NEWSPRINT COUNTS FOR NOTHING!

I was listening to Colin Cowherd this afternoon in the car. I was all smiles when he picked the Ravens for 9-7, and the Steelers for 11-5... until he picked the Bengals for 14-2. And then I remembered, it's all a crock of (crock fiiller). What do you expect from a guy who came up through wrestling? The more bull, the more raised blood pressures, the happier these guys are.

Tom

Steelman16
09-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Ok, this guy thinks he knows something about football, let alone the Steelers? I'm gonna have to give it to him. Lemme dissect this column of crud with a black and gold rebuttal. I'll put his valid points in Gold, if he has any. Ok, I'll try to keep emotions aside.

Steelers fans are to be commended for not accepting mediocrity.

But they look kind of silly when they can't spot it.

Thanks. We truly support our team.

Obviously I'm missing something here, but I'll be kind and hear you out.

This year's model looks like an 8-8 team, and is closer to 6-10 than 10-6. Only a miraculous year by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger could propel the Steelers into the playoffs.

Surely you sat in your big leather chair watching football on your 52" plasma TV last year, right? If you had, surely you didn't miss the fact that the Bears went to the Super Bowl. And I don't think Rex propelled them anywhere, certainly not forward. Roethlishberger only needs to have an average year and we're going somewhere.

Don't rule that out. If Roethlisberger plumbs the versatility and unpredictability of his new offense while avoiding capital punishment at the hands of his line, great things are possible. If the Steelers fail, Roethlisberger will wake up with a headache most Mondays while absorbing an unfair share of the blame, but every quarterback signs that Faustian contract.

Beyond Roethlisberger, the Steelers are average. That's a blasphemous thought in these parts. But in the land of the wild-eyed yinzer, the objective thinker rules.

Are you the same person who voted Vince Young on the Madden cover? You need to get past the laser rocket arm or run all over creation QB's and broaden your scope a little bit. Quarterbacks ALWAYS wake up with a headache on Monday.

Personally, Roethlishberger is average, and the Steelers are solid. 'Apertitate the new moniker for Stellers fans, but really, you should explain yourself in laymans terms. That said, yep, you're definately blasphemous. Heaven help you, because we won't.

Consider this: How many Steelers starters are good enough to start for a legitimate postseason contender? How many Steelers defenders could start for, say, Baltimore?

Consider this: How many Felons are good enough to start for, say, Pittsburgh? Oh that's right, Ray Lewis is an automatic given. Sorry.

Besides Ray Lewis, name off the top of your head who the other starting LB's are for the Ratbirds.

That Ravens laugh at us anyway, what's new? We've had alot of physical corners in the last decade who may not be Tony Dungy's choice for Cover 2 D-Backs.

James Farrior, Larry Foote, Casey Hampton, Troy Polamalu and Aaron Smith provide the only true quality on the Steelers defense. Brett Keisel may join that pack; he has the football sense and athletic ability to handle his expanded role.

Thanks for complimenting somebody, but the bolded in "Only" has to go. Yes, those guys you named are the dudes with big paychecks, big names, big egos and big media. But what makes an entire team is the other guys. When you're going across the middle for a pass from Carson Palmer and you get gutted by Anthony Smith you'll find this out. At worst, it'll just be an imcomplete pass.

This made me mad, but since we're having a friendly debate, I'll curb my feelings.

Hines Ward may not be blessed with speed like Chris Henry or Chad Johnson, but he has a few things they don't. 1. He's got character. Hines' has never been arrested for stupid stuff like Henry, nor does he act like a spoiled brat like Johnson. 2. He's already a Hall of Fame materiel WR. 3. Hines has only missed a fingerful of games in his ENTIRE career, unlike Houshmanzedah.

You finally mentioned Fast Willie Parker, one of the most underrated backs in the NFL...just because he plays for the Steelers and he's fast. Ward is a possesion reciever, that's why we got Holmes. Heath Miller is a first class Tight End, in a run-block first TE organization. If Miller switched teams with Antonio Gates, we'd see who's the better man.

It's a bit skewed to compare the Steelers to the best their division rivals have to offer while ignoring the worst of the Ravens and Bengals. Baltimore quarterback Steve McNair could easily jump back on the scrap heap, while Cincinnati's rotten defense doesn't have even a single playmaker.

We've been at the top of this division for years, regardless if we actually get the title. McNair is an average QB at the tailend of his prime. The Felons D is their only game in town.

But it's difficult to imagine the Steelers outscoring Cincinnati, and equally difficult to imagine the Steelers scoring enough against Baltimore. The Steelers figure to again be brutalized two straight by the Ravens. Going 1-1 against Cincinnati seems possible only because the Bengals loathe prosperity.

You confuse me. You just said Cincy has no D, but we do have D. So if Cincy can't score, but we can, who wins? The team with the better Defense...i.e. us! AND, if Balti can't score, and we can't score, who wins that one? The team with the better offense...i.e., us!

Here's where I disagree entirely. Were we Super Bowl contenders the year we won the Super Bowl? No. And, there was too much behind the scenes stuff going on to effectively hire a new coach from within. All the candidates had too much alterier motive. Bringing in new blood was good.

The Steelers' saving grace may be their undemanding early schedule.

More like our lucky break. 'Bout time we got one from somebody, huh? At least the NFL thinks highly of us.

Obviously nobody can predict the future, but I actually agree with you there. (Lord help me)

The schedule gets a lot harder. But if the Steelers begin 5-0, 10-6 and a playoff berth seems realistic. If the Steelers begin 3-2, that might seem OK but will actually be a deep hole.

5-0 would be awesome. 3-2 is normal for us, actually 3-3 wouldn't be so bad, we've done it before.

The Steelers will come up short at center, where behemoth foes will bully Sean Mahan physically. Tackle Willie Colon is unproven. Holmes and Miller must fulfill their promise. More important, each must be given ample chance to fulfill his promise.

That is evident, but I don't think we'll come up short at Center. Sean might have some problems occasionally, but I don't it'll be anything too glaring or numerous. Colon must prove himself then. Heck, half the teams in the league have someone trying to prove themselves. Don't make it so hard on him Holmes and Miller will have much better chances than last year, so I don't know what you're trying to say.

On defense, the outside linebackers are below average. The best cornerback won't be starting.

I disagree on both. And who exactly is our "best" cornerback? Are you referring to Townsend? :jawdrop:

It all adds up to mediocre. It all adds up to 8-8. Recognize, will you?

You must have been taught a different form of mathematical skills than I was. It adds up to Mark Madden = Sports Blooper.

You know, I kinda like yer games, but really...I suggest you start watching football more closely and less of the MFL. (Media Football League)

OK, that's all I have for now. I'll see you at the Super Bowl! (Ward will be MVP again)

OK, I'll shut up and go play Madden. :flap:

revefsreleets
09-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Speaking of mediocrity, has anyone considered doing an evaluation of Madden and where he might rank compared to the other Pittsburgh sportswriters? I'm not familiar enough with them all to do so, but I'm reasonably sure somebody could do a pretty good job with the premise.

By the way, Hines would be #2 and Holmes would be #3 on the Bengals, and Haggins and Harrison would start for the other two teams. The Mahan line was funny because it was recycled criticism from 3 months ago, and has since been disproved by Mahan himself by his play on the field. The article has very little merit, based on the fact that he cherry picks his points and contrasts what he deems Steelers weaknesses with other teams strengths. It's not a relative "apples to apples" comparison.

tony hipchest
09-04-2007, 08:14 PM
housh-

01- 21/221/0td

02- 41/492/1td

03- 0/0/0td

chad-

01- 28/329/1td

02- 69/1166/5td

(chads best year)- 97/1432/7td

(wards best year)- 112/1329/12td

holmes-

06- 49/842/2td

madden might wanna look a little more closely before he slobs the bungles wr's. hines and holmes could easilly start for housh or chad and put up just as big of numbers.

Elvis
09-04-2007, 08:24 PM
I just really dont know what to think about this guys' writtings. Who is the guy anyway? I feel really like our OLB's are not gonna be up to par of what the Steelers are used to.. this is just my opinion though. I just dont think that Harrison is the answer to replace Porter. I hope that I am wrong but I dont think that I will be. I look for Timmons to be starting before the season is over or Woodley one. I also think that Hagans needs to be replaced also and that might be coming next season with our top 2 draft picks this season in Woodley and Timmons. Our ILB's are getting up in the years especially Farrior and we dont have a replacement in place to take over for him.
I really dont think that the Bengals would start Ward over either of their starting WR's either, Ward just isnt the athelete that CJ is or Whoseyourdaddy either. I love Hines and I wouldnt trade him for either one for our style of football and team play, but he isnt the big time reciever that CJ is. I honestly think that the Steelers will be really pushing their luck to get to 10-6 this season, I am thinking around .500 is more realistic. Just too many questions on our O line and our LB corp.
:tt02:

The Duke
09-04-2007, 08:57 PM
housh-

01- 21/221/0td

02- 41/492/1td

03- 0/0/0td

chad-

01- 28/329/1td

02- 69/1166/5td

(chads best year)- 97/1432/7td

(wards best year)- 112/1329/12td

holmes-

06- 49/842/2td

madden might wanna look a little more closely before he slobs the bungles wr's. hines and holmes could easilly start for housh or chad and put up just as big of numbers.

Great find Tony. I think that if you even ask Carson Palmer he would be comfortable with Hines and Holmes as his receivers

stillers4me
09-04-2007, 09:34 PM
Mark Madden can kiss my Lombardi.

steeltheone
09-06-2007, 06:56 AM
No cornerbacks will be the greatest without a pass rush!

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-06-2007, 07:50 AM
For a toolbox who prides himself on going against the grain and making bold predictions, he sure gives himself plenty of fudge room.

To paraphrase the article, the Steelers might suck or they might make the playoffs.

Wow! That's some penetrating analysis!

Exactly,,,Madden needs to grow a pair and step out with a real prediction instead of hiding behind opinion with very little insight.

I love how he asks the question.."How many defenders could start for the Ravens?"....then:
1) hides Troy and Casey in a list of other players names....pathetic.
2) never mentions that we have three safeties better than Dawan Landry....
3)..and would have us believe that none of our LB's are better than Jarret Johnson?
4)..and fails to say how McFadden...our THIRD CB (who didnt even start all season)...put up numbers AS GOOD as Samari Rolle's...
5) our defense rated in the top 10 in 8 major defensive categories.
(stats ....Mr. Madden...they are all over the internet..try looking some up sometime)

As somone else stated ..We have more players that could start on their defense then they have who could start on our offense.

Madden neeeds to supply some stats to backup his statements...instead of listening to the echo of his voice resounding off the walls of his anal cavity.

HometownGal
09-06-2007, 10:27 AM
I don't view anything Mark Madden says as valid. He spews the same sh it with the Pens and Pirates and rarely has anything positive to say about any of our hometown teams until he's trying to backpedal with those fat little stumps because his statements and predicitions were wrong. The only time I listen to that tub-o-lard is when I need a good laugh when someone goes off on him after he puts them down for asking a legitimate question. He always hangs up before they can finish but it is good entertainment. XT remembers this - Madden hung up on me several years back after I asked a perfectly good question on the Steelers and I called back, thought of another good question I wanted to ask, used a different name when his producer asked me what I wanted to talk about before I was on the air and got in a "F _ _ K you a$$hole" before he hung up again. You could hear it as clear as a bell - LOL! :toofunny:

Mark - go back to bed.

http://www.gandsorganics.com/aspmedia/20061117-17727-99448.jpg

bizob2828
09-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Two things I don't quite understand in that article. What was the point of it, no real concrete arguments...And last time I checked in the last 38 years we have now had 3 coaches and each time the coach was hired he was from outside the organization. What an f'n loser this Mark Madden is

alittlejazzbird
10-08-2007, 01:12 PM
As the Steelers head into their bye week, I thought it worth revisiting this column that had me seething for days back in September. Here were some of the quotes that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up:

And my particular "favorite":

Wonder what Madden has to say now? Man, I hate that guy. And I don't hate anyone.

Edman
10-08-2007, 01:50 PM
I wonder how Marky-Mark's "AFC North Elite" are doing?

The Ravens D, while still stout, almost blew two 10-point leads this season, their Offense is still atrocious, and they're escaping with ugly, UGLY wins against mid-tier mediocre competition.

The Bungles are in shambles, their "D" is once again an embarrassment, Carson and Chad are fighting, the players are too busy whining about not getting their own way, oh, and they're in LAST PLACE in the AFC North.`

Can't wait for the Steelers to stick it to both chumps this year. I want blood on the Rats big time.

Tim
10-08-2007, 02:00 PM
I don't really understand his comparison to the Ravens. After watching the Ravens almost lose it against SF yesterday, my first thought was, "man, we're going to kill these guys".

The Ravens aren't that good. McNair? Come on, they might as well give Kordell a ring.

onthebus36
10-08-2007, 03:54 PM
I bet money he somehow spins this into his predictions being right. Like I said, if you want to be controversial, hang it out there.

Whatever... NEXT.

moedap
10-08-2007, 04:01 PM
He is still sticking to his "Big Ben is the only reason why the Steelers win ".

Preacher
10-08-2007, 04:42 PM
What a joke.

Mosca
10-08-2007, 04:45 PM
He is still sticking to his "Big Ben is the only reason why the Steelers win ".

LOL, so Ben is some superior outside force that causes a mediocre team to win? I guess the same could be said about Payton Manning, then.

What an idiot. But like I said, anyone who understands marketing and entertainment in pro wrestling terms is going to be that way; argumentive for agument's sake.

Tom

Steel Pit
10-08-2007, 06:04 PM
I don't really understand his comparison to the Ravens. After watching the Ravens almost lose it against SF yesterday, my first thought was, "man, we're going to kill these guys".

The Ravens aren't that good. McNair? Come on, they might as well give Kordell a ring.

I agee but I also remember last season when Baltimore looked pretty ugly while winning games that they should have lost versus Cleveland 15-14, versus San Diego 16-13, and versus Tennessee 27-26.

Baltimore will most-likely remain a difficult game for the Steelers.

Edman
10-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Baltimore played us tough/whooped us recently because we played into their hands instead of attacking them. Baltimore is too tough to play Cowher Ball against.

And Turtle Cowher was our coach. Let's see how Tomlinarians gameplans for the Rats ths year.

If Arians was smart, he'd allow Ben to attack and carve the Ravens D with his mobility and arm when the time comes. He's certainly capable of doing it.

Steel Pit
10-09-2007, 05:56 AM
Baltimore played us tough/whooped us recently because we played into their hands instead of attacking them. Baltimore is too tough to play Cowher Ball against.

And Turtle Cowher was our coach. Let's see how Tomlinarians gameplans for the Rats ths year.

If Arians was smart, he'd allow Ben to attack and carve the Ravens D with his mobility and arm when the time comes. He's certainly capable of doing it.

Good point Edman, the "Cowher Ball" reference. A friend of mine pointed out the very same thing to me in regards to Baltimore. For some reason the thought of Mike Tomlin's new philosophies never entered my mind.

steel striker
10-09-2007, 10:27 PM
I think we can beat the ratbirds if Ben get time to throw and, makes good reads. If our defense plays like they did against the sea gulls I think we can beat any team.

GBMelBlount
10-09-2007, 10:34 PM
LOL, so Ben is some superior outside force that causes a mediocre team to win?

May the "force" be with us. :tt02:

Edman
10-10-2007, 12:05 AM
Well, all I know is this, I definately know this Steeler Team won't be intimidated by the Ratbirds and won't back down from them despite last year. Tomlin has instilled a new sense of focus and preparation all around and I'm sure he'll have them ready for the scum from Maryland when the time comes.

So, let the Rats' players, fans, and coaches believe they have this "edge" over the Steelers. I have a strong feeling that they'll have egg on their faces come Nov.5.

In the mean time, the Steelers are thinking about making horse glue.

Preacher
10-10-2007, 02:54 AM
I think we can beat the ratbirds if Ben get time to throw and, makes good reads. If our defense plays like they did against the sea gulls I think we can beat any team.

Ravens don't look that big this year. They have problems, and they won't get the playbook from a QB this year either.