PDA

View Full Version : Once again....

Welcome To Smashmouth
09-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Thusfar I've been extremely happy with what I've heard/seen from the coaching staff this year.....but to me the most expected thing to see out of the staff during training camp up to the start of the regular season is to make sure the best player is on the field.

I dont think that is the case this year.

If you'd like to make an argument AGAINST Anthony Smith starting, taking into consideration the fact that hes done nothing but PRODUCED under the small amount of time he gets on the field, then please feel free to "enlighten" me.

McFadden sitting on the bench as a rookie is understandable, the second year: ehh I'm not liking it but I'll live, BUT THREE STRAIGHT YEARS!! Man, I just don't get it. I started salivating at the mouth with the thought of Porter, McFadden, and Smith laying down the law on their side of the field......if you were to tell me at the close of the '06 season that NONE OF THE TREE would be starting, I'd have laughed and simply stated "Dude.....watch a f'ing steelers game!'

I like Deshea, I like Harrison, and I like Clark. But I also have watched, studied, loved, supported, questioned, screamed at, and re-found faith in this football team....lets give the proper players their shot at performing on a regular basis....they've earned it

Preacher
09-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Smith.

I too like him, tremendously. Though he would be starting this year. However, I can understand him not starting. FS is the QB of the defense. If he doesn't have the ability yet to read the offense and call plays, re-set the defense, support the SS, etc., then he shouldn't start. That is the type of things that we may NOT see. Yes, he produced. But it may be possible that his production didn't make up for the mistakes he made in calling the defense before a play. I think he will end up starting at some point. When, I don't know.

The Duke
09-04-2007, 10:44 PM
I would love for Anthony to start, but this is Tomlin's first year so I'm trusting his decisions, I would also like Bryant to start at corner but Tomlin knows what he's doing. Sooner or later we'll see this guys starting

shutdown
09-04-2007, 11:37 PM
McFadden cried and moaned about starting PT then gave up an obvious cross pattern up the middle for the TD.

Or CB's have been suspect for quite sometime and im crossing my fingers Tomlin, with his expertise, attempts to adjust this. Granted with MIN his passing defense blew but with T.B. he was great. I think he has a knack for it and there is a reason why McFadden isnt starting yet.

Preacher
09-04-2007, 11:43 PM
McFadden cried and moaned about starting PT then gave up an obvious cross pattern up the middle for the TD.

Or CB's have been suspect for quite sometime and im crossing my fingers Tomlin, with his expertise, attempts to adjust this. Granted with MIN his passing defense blew but with T.B. he was great. I think he has a knack for it and there is a reason why McFadden isnt starting yet.

I so hope you're right.

tony hipchest
09-05-2007, 12:00 AM
Thusfar I've been extremely happy with what I've heard/seen from the coaching staff this year.....but to me the most expected thing to see out of the staff during training camp up to the start of the regular season is to make sure the best player is on the field.

If you'd like to make an argument AGAINST Anthony Smith starting, taking into consideration the fact that hes done nothing but PRODUCED under the small amount of time he gets on the field, then please feel free to "enlighten" me.

McFadden sitting on the bench as a rookie is understandable, the second year: ehh I'm not liking it but I'll live, BUT THREE STRAIGHT YEARS!! Man, I just don't get it. I started salivating at the mouth with the thought of Porter, McFadden, and Smith laying down the law on their side of the field......if you were to tell me at the close of the '06 season that NONE OF THE TREE would be starting, I'd have laughed and simply stated "Dude.....watch a f'ing steelers game!'

I like Deshea, I like Harrison, and I like Clark. But I also have watched, studied, loved, supported, questioned, screamed at, and re-found faith in this football team....lets give the proper players their shot at performing on a regular basis....they've earned itthe steelers defense allowed fewer points per game than any other team in the preseason (tomlin era). are you asking for better than the best?

Preacher
09-05-2007, 12:06 AM
the steelers defense allowed fewer points per game than any other team in the preseason (tomlin era). are you asking for better than the best?

Of course... we are Steeler fans.

If we don't win the SB by 30 points, people will call for Tomlin's head!!

Galax Steeler
09-05-2007, 03:56 AM
Of course... we are Steeler fans.

If we don't win the SB by 30 points, people will call for Tomlin's head!!

We want to win by 40 points.:smile:

Steel Pit
09-05-2007, 04:50 AM

I like Deshea, I like Harrison, and I like Clark. But I also have watched, studied, loved, supported, questioned, screamed at, and re-found faith in this football team....lets give the proper players their shot at performing on a regular basis....they've earned it

I also would like to see Anthony Smith start. I'm sure that he'll make a few more mental mistakes then Clark will but I think that the BIGGER hits delivered by Smith will TRUMP a few mental mistakes.

The same assessment probably holds true for McFadden. Townsend is simply better mentally prepared but McFadden is 3 times the athlete. He reminds me a lot of Rod Woodson just by the way that he breaks on the ball. I'll accept a few errors by McFadden in exchange for the interceptions that he'll come away with.

I hope that these 2 guys find the starting line-up soon. I hate to see young talent wasting away on the bench.

DACEB
09-05-2007, 09:10 AM
I had stated in another thread that Tomlin is going with the vets in many of these situations. I look at it as a good thing for now in the sense that the younger guys are working even harder to get on the field. At the same time the vets know there is someone just itching for that oppurtunity. I agree with everyone on the potential Smith and McFadden have shown, but the vets bring consistency and I think that's what Tomlin is looking at right now.

These players will have plenty of oppurtunity to play in certain packages, so we will see them plenty. Let's see what type of impression they make!!

Mosca
09-05-2007, 09:30 AM
Big hits don't trump mental mistakes. Big hits are for highlight reels. the plays that don't make the highlight reels, the ones where the db stays step for step with the wr throughout the pattern and the qb has to dump the ball off, those plays win games. I'll take 20 "shadows" over 1 big hit any day.

When the guy who can lay the big hit can also do the shadow, then he can start. Until then, he can watch.

Tom

Atlanta Dan
09-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Big hits don't trump mental mistakes. Big hits are for highlight reels. the plays that don't make the highlight reels, the ones where the db stays step for step with the wr throughout the pattern and the qb has to dump the ball off, those plays win games. I'll take 20 "shadows" over 1 big hit any day.

When the guy who can lay the big hit can also do the shadow, then he can start. Until then, he can watch.

Tom

Troy is the freelance DB - he needs someone at the other safety slot who is going to be where he is supposed to be (Chris Hope & now Clark) to avoid breakdowns in the secondary.

Until Smith becomes more disciplined he will sit.

rog
09-05-2007, 10:16 AM
I think the fact that we can argue and debate that one guy should start over the other is great. It is only going to make this team better. I'm confident in Smith, Clark, Mcfadden and Townsend no matter who is in there I believe we got a quality starter with all these guys. Just because Clark starts does not mean Smith is not going to get meaningful playing time the same with the corners.

LambertLunatic
09-05-2007, 11:14 AM
It's easy for us fans to judge who should start based on preseason games, but we haven't seen all the practices. I wasn't hired to coach the Steelers (and with good reason). Tomlin is the coach, and we have to assume he knows what he's doing.

One possibility is that when a younger player is pushing for the starting spot, Tomlin wants that player to take the spot in mid season, rather than the end of training camp. This would put all vets on notice that complacency will cause them to lose their starting position.

Counselor
09-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Troy is the freelance DB - he needs someone at the other safety slot who is going to be where he is supposed to be (Chris Hope & now Clark) to avoid breakdowns in the secondary.

Until Smith becomes more disciplined he will sit.

I completely agree. Smith is not ready to start at FS with Troy---he has great ability and potential--but more is needed at FS. He has to basically call the play AND back-up troy. I completely understand why he is not starting.
We all moaned about Cowher keeping Townsend as the starter over McFadden last year, but to me Tomlin's decision to do the same just goes to show Cowher was making the right decision too---- Tomlin had no predetermined loyalties and still stuck with Deshea. That tells me that McFadden isn't ready either. I'm willing to allow that the coaching staff sees a lot more than we do.

delhess
09-05-2007, 01:47 PM
i have been saying the same thing.. smith will start when he is ready. his time is coming. until then, lets make the right decision. tomlin knows more than we do.

MasterOfPuppets
09-05-2007, 09:43 PM

Tom
and also....mental mistakes = 6 points for the other team...big hits DON'T win games...but mental mistakes DO loose games !!!!

Welcome To Smashmouth
09-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Big hits don't trump mental mistakes. Big hits are for highlight reels.

Tom

they sure do when they jar the ball loose in the 4th quarter down by 3, and its taken to the house for a touchdown.....

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-06-2007, 05:03 AM
I love Smith...but I'm not devasted by Clark starting ahead of him...Clark is steady if not flashy.
Not starting McFadden on the other hand bothers me. I would rather take my lumps with him then have to deal with another season of watching Deshea follow WR's into the endzone...Deshea is a smart player but he is always three steps behind talented #2 recievers.

DACEB
09-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Not starting McFadden on the other hand bothers me. I would rather take my lumps with him then have to deal with another season of watching Deshea follow WR's into the endzone...Deshea is a smart player but he is always three steps behind talented #2 recievers.

I thought I remembered reading in the training camp articles that in nickel packages Townsend would move to the slot and McFadden would take his place outside. I believe the article stated Townsend was a better blitzer.

For those that will watch the game (I'm stuck watching the Pats, I live in Mass.) please pay attention to see if this is the case.

If that is the case then McFadden will have plenty of oppurtunities against the #2 WRs.

Let me know!!

Preacher
09-06-2007, 02:25 PM
they sure do when they jar the ball loose in the 4th quarter down by 3, and its taken to the house for a touchdown.....

More often then not, we will get burned by a mental mistake before we will get the big turnover at the right time.

Tough, mental football wins games.