PDA

View Full Version : I'm not buying what Vick is selling

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
09-05-2007, 12:16 AM
As far as I am concerned Michael Vick is a hypocrite and I'm not buying his I found God line. It's called trying to look good for a future owner i.e Jerry jones, Al Davis or Daniel Snyder

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_525624.html

Michael Vick attends church, hears message of redemption
By The Associated Press
Tuesday, September 4, 2007

CHESAPEAKE, Va. -- Fallen NFL star Michael Vick appears to be making good on his assertion that he's turned his life over to God after pleading guilty to a federal dogfighting charge last week.

On Saturday, the Atlanta Falcons quarterback was at a Christian school, spending time with boys whose fathers are absent from their lives. On Sunday, he and his family attended church in Chesapeake, singing and praying with other members of the congregation.

"He's come a long way already," said the Rev. Steven Terry, minister of Deliverance Tabernacle Church, where Vick has been attending services recently.

Terry said Vick has also been attending two or three church counseling sessions a week and has been accommodating to every suggestion the minister has made.

Vick declined comment on Sunday.

The Hampton Roads native and former Virginia Tech star will be sentenced Dec. 10 for his role in a dogfighting ring where dogs that didn't perform well were killed. The federal sentencing guideline range is projected at a year to 18 months, but the judge can impose up to the five-year maximum. Vick was also suspended indefinitely by the NFL.

"Through this situation I found Jesus and asked him for forgiveness and turned my life over to God," Vick said following his guilty plea last week.

Terry's sermon on Sunday was focused on redemption -- a typical theme in his ministry, he said.

"He has been hurt and extremely embarrassed," Terry said. "I don't believe he knows how he got involved in this."

Terry said he has asked his congregation to treat Vick with love.

"I honestly believe he's looking for forgiveness," Terry said. "You don't always get that from human beings."

Preacher
09-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Let me look at this from a pastoral stand point.

It is true that many people come to Christ during times of crisis.

The real question, is what happens when the crisis passes.

I don't have a problem with him coming to God. The problem I DO have, is the fact that it is publicized.

On that note however, there are many who, as soon as they become Christians, want to tell everyone else. So that falls within normal.

The best thing we can do, is see what Vick is like after jail.

Oh yeah, there is one other thing that will tell us something. Watch how he handles himself during the rest of this. If he is now accepting of all responsibility, humbled, etc... that is another sign that this is a true thing. If it is the same Vick... it is much more doubtful.

However, in the end, only God will know.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
09-05-2007, 01:53 AM
Following the finding God thing up with his "sincere" apology from the heart supposedly without notes guess that was a lie too. Does anyone really think that Vick could come up with those 'talking points" or should I say "selling points" on his own? Of course not it was his high paid attorney telling him what he needed to say. It's obvious that he was involved in dog fighting he didn't think it was wrong hence him not knowing what it is he should apologize for.

I get what your saying Preacher but the more I see the more I don't buy what he's selling. These guys only find God when their ass are on the line or their jobs are at stake. He's nothing but a phony. Funny thing God spelled backwards is Dog how interesting.

That speech from the heart well it's being sold on ebay and their getting a hefty price of $1500+ the proceeds will benefit the humane society.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200149223837

Humane Society Has Vick's Talking Points
Michael David SmithPosted Sep 4th 2007 1:39PM by Michael David Smith

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/09/04/humane-society-has-vicks-talking-points/

Michael Vick gave a public apology last week after he pleaded guilty to federal conspiracy charges related to his Bad Newz Kennels dog fighting ring.

Some Vick supporters have said that Vick must have been sincere in his apology because he gave it without notes. But the Humane Society of the United States says that's not true: According to the Humane Society, Vick had handwritten notes in front of him -- and the Humane Society says it's in possession of those notes:

With dozens of reporters jammed into the press room at the Omni Hotel in Richmond, it was The HSUS's own Chad Sisneros, head of our Video Services section, who in looking to retrieve his microphone saw the abandoned scrap of paper and picked it up.

The notes say:

1. Apologize for what I've done
2. Apologize Commissioner, AB, Petrino, ashamed disappointed
3. Young kids I acted immature
4. Forgiveness & understanding
5. Take full responsibility for my actions
6. We all make mistakes I've made mistakes in judgment / Dogs have suffered

That last part -- dogs have suffered -- is in a box at the lower right corner of the paper, and the Humane Society says that's the one Vick never said.

The Humane Society is selling the notes on eBay, and it says the money will go to help in its efforts "to bust the next dogfighting ring."

Preacher
09-05-2007, 03:59 AM
I will take a wait and see attitude towards him as a person.

As a football player, well, I really don't care to see him on the field again.

Indy_Steelers
09-05-2007, 05:05 AM

I will take a wait and see attitude towards him as a person.

As a football player, well, I really don't care to see him on the field again.

As a Christian, I agree with both these points. We can only tell by his fruit but I am having a hard time buying it though. Although I do hope it is true, I think is is a publicity stunt. But like Preacher said, let us wait and see.

I can not believe the pastor actually said this.
"I don't believe he knows how he got involved in this.":dang:

But again like preacher said, only God knows and we will have to wait and see.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-05-2007, 10:49 AM
I find it interesting how it took him being busted for dog fighting and his pals rolling on him to get him to "find God". He found God just in time for his public apology...just in time for him to start rehabing his image so when he's finally able to play football again in 2010 (if his suspension ever gets lifted that is), he won't look like such a bad guy.

rog
09-05-2007, 10:59 AM
I find it interesting how it took him being busted for dog fighting and his pals rolling on him to get him to "find God". He found God just in time for his public apology...just in time for him to start rehabing his image so when he's finally able to play football again in 2010 (if his suspension ever gets lifted that is), he won't look like such a bad guy.

I totaly agree with you if none of this stuff would have come out during that drug bust at his house and nobody knew about the dogfighting not only would not have "found God" but he would still be fighting dogs! I don't believe his remorse for his actions the only thing he has remorse for is getting caught and losing millions of $.

memphissteelergirl
09-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Let me look at this from a pastoral stand point.

It is true that many people come to Christ during times of crisis.

The real question, is what happens when the crisis passes.

I don't have a problem with him coming to God. The problem I DO have, is the fact that it is publicized.

On that note however, there are many who, as soon as they become Christians, want to tell everyone else. So that falls within normal.

The best thing we can do, is see what Vick is like after jail.

Oh yeah, there is one other thing that will tell us something. Watch how he handles himself during the rest of this. If he is now accepting of all responsibility, humbled, etc... that is another sign that this is a true thing. If it is the same Vick... it is much more doubtful.

Good points, Preacher!
:iagree:

Atlanta Dan
09-05-2007, 11:16 AM
I can assure you Vick will be on message and humble through sentencing - his attorneys got him off Tom Joyner's show last week becuase they do not want Vick to say anything unscripted that can unravel his goal of getting the lowest possible sentence from Judge Hudson (and may have yanked him from Joyner's show after he apparently could not even stay on script and refer to the suffering dogs part of the note).

In addition to being a sadist, Vick is not very bright - we will not get any media appearances with a chance for any questions (softball or otherwise) until after he is sentenced. After that, he will not be holding any media events while he is in prison.

Mosca
09-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Funny thing God spelled backwards is Dog how interesting.

Dude, you want to see something MORE interesting?

"Falcons" spelled backwards is "Snoclaf".

Makes your hair stand on end, doesn't it.

Tom

rog
09-05-2007, 11:19 AM
I can assure you Vick will be on message and humble through sentencing - his attorneys got him off Tom Joyner's show last week becuase they do not want Vick to say anything unscripted that can unravel his goal of getting the lowest possible sentence from Judge Hudson (and may have yanked him from Joyner's show after he apparently could not even stay on script and refer to the suffering dogs part of the note).

In addition to being a sadist, Vick is not very bright - we will not get any media appearances with a chance for any questions (softball or otherwise) until after he is sentenced. After that, he will not be holding any media events while he is in prison.

I'm glad we are not hearing from him what he did was repulsive and I don't want to hear fony excuses or appologies until he serves his time.

Bobby Socks
09-05-2007, 03:10 PM
I think Vick deserves a second chance. I'm sure he feels bad for what he did, and besides it was only for dogfighting. It's not like he killed someone.

fansince'76
09-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Funny, I thought grade school was back in session this week? :rolleyes:

rog
09-05-2007, 03:30 PM
I think Vick deserves a second chance. I'm sure he feels bad for what he did, and besides it was only for dogfighting. It's not like he killed someone.

Seriously you have got to be joking...and it isn't very funny.

fansince'76
09-05-2007, 03:42 PM
Seriously you have got to be joking...and it isn't very funny.

Well, he certainly logged out in a hurry - mommy must've needed her 'puter back.

rog
09-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Well, he certainly logged out in a hurry - mommy must've needed her 'puter back.

That is pretty funny!

revefsreleets
09-05-2007, 06:58 PM
I was wondering what Whoopie Goldberg was thinking when she defended him by saying that dog fighting "isn't that unusual for that part of the country" and that killing and torturing dogs is "all just part of it". Does that mean that the KKK is okay now, because hating blacks is just part of the culture of the south, and killing them is just part of it?

This is an awful mess. Vick playing the God card and black celebrities coming to his defense by trying to back up an indefensible position.

83-Steelers-43
09-05-2007, 07:08 PM
Yeah, Vick found God. Don't they all. Very cute.

tony hipchest
09-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Forrest Gump: Have you found Jesus yet, Lt. Dan?

Lt. Dan: I didnt know i was supposed to be looking for him.

someone obviously told vick he was supposed to be looking for him.

stillers4me
09-05-2007, 07:37 PM
So ....Ok....Vick spent all this money to set up dog fighting rings for other people to make money but claims he never bet on them. So what he's really saying is that he just enjoyed the blood sport of watching the dogs tear each other apart.

Well...... either he's lying about the betting part (ya think?) or this is one sick MOF. (ya think?)

tony hipchest
09-05-2007, 07:55 PM
So ....Ok....Vick spent all this money to set up dog fighting rings for other people to make money but claims he never bet on them. So what he's really saying is that he just enjoyed the blood sport of watching the dogs tear each other apart.

Well...... either he's lying about the betting part (ya think?) or this is one sick MOF. (ya think?)vick was putting up money for the bets for sure, but i believe him when he says he wasnt collecting any winnings. i think he just gets gratification watching dogs kill eachother and is more than happy to pay some posse members to provide him with some entertainment. its like pacman not sweating losing a few thousand bucks at the strip club.

stillers4me
09-05-2007, 08:15 PM
vick was putting up money for the bets for sure, but i believe him when he says he wasnt collecting any winnings. i think he just gets gratification watching dogs kill eachother and is more than happy to pay some posse members to provide him with some entertainment. its like pacman not sweating losing a few thousand bucks at the strip club.

So I take it your vote is for "he's one sick MOF."

revefsreleets
09-05-2007, 08:20 PM

Well...... either he's lying about the betting part (ya think?) or this is one sick MOF. (ya think?)

Didn't you hear? It's all okay, according to Whoopee, because it's part of southern black culture to fight dogs and torture and kill them.

Indy_Steelers
09-05-2007, 09:20 PM
I was wondering what Whoopie Goldberg was thinking when she defended him by saying that dog fighting "isn't that unusual for that part of the country" and that killing and torturing dogs is "all just part of it". Does that mean that the KKK is okay now, because hating blacks is just part of the culture of the south, and killing them is just part of it?

This is an awful mess. Vick playing the God card and black celebrities coming to his defense by trying to back up an indefensible position.

I have asked the same question and I hope more people ask it.

revefsreleets
09-05-2007, 09:27 PM
I don't have any answers, but I have one question: Did Mike Vick ever once stop and think "Man, this is really, really stupid and wrong, and if I ever get caught, I'm gonna be royally f*cked"?

I'm reasonably sure that he had this conversation with himself once, and we now know the decision he made.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-06-2007, 12:01 AM
I don't have any answers, but I have one question: Did Mike Vick ever once stop and think "Man, this is really, really stupid and wrong, and if I ever get caught, I'm gonna be royally f*cked"?

I'm reasonably sure that he had this conversation with himself once, and we now know the decision he made.

I'm not sure that he's smart enough to have that conversation with himself.

83-Steelers-43
09-06-2007, 06:00 AM
someone obviously told vick he was supposed to be looking for him.

:sofunny:

http://openlib.org/home/krichel/courses/lis650n06s/sites/wgm/saves.jpg

Tony, Michael Vick will be saved. He is serious about this. His lawyer did not tell him to play the religious angle while he's staring down the barrel of a gun.

Bobby Socks
09-06-2007, 11:30 AM
As a Christian, I am very happy to hear of Michael Vick turning his life over to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He is going through a tough time and I bet he feels the whole world is against him. We should pray for Michael Vick, and I was upset that he broke one of the commandments of God by lying about the dogfighting ring, but I forgive him. I just hope he knows that me and his fans are praying for him and look forward to his return to the NFL. Even if he gets back into dogfighting, I know his acceptance of Jesus will make him a better person.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
09-06-2007, 08:04 PM
As a Christian, I am very happy to hear of Michael Vick turning his life over to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He is going through a tough time and I bet he feels the whole world is against him. We should pray for Michael Vick, and I was upset that he broke one of the commandments of God by lying about the dogfighting ring, but I forgive him. I just hope he knows that me and his fans are praying for him and look forward to his return to the NFL. Even if he gets back into dogfighting, I know his acceptance of Jesus will make him a better person.

To bad it's only a matter of convenience he's "found" God. :coffee:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
09-06-2007, 08:14 PM
T.O on Michael Vick - It's a "sport same as hunting" Someone uncork his head from his arse so he could take a breath. Unbelievable.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/video?id=3007235

Indy_Steelers
09-06-2007, 09:53 PM

This is sarcasm right? You seem to imply that his lying is a sin and not the torture of dogs. He can not be repentant if he "gets back into dogfighting" and Jesus would not have made him a better person but I guess dogfighting is OK as long as he does not lie about it..

On a side note, it should be "his fans and I".

Indy_Steelers
09-06-2007, 09:54 PM
T.O on Michael Vick - It's a "sport same as hunting" Someone uncork his head from his arse so he could take a breath. Unbelievable.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/video?id=3007235

Same as hunting? Did Vick eat the dogs?

tony hipchest
09-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Same as hunting? Did Vick eat the dogs?t.o. must be talking about the big game hunters. after all, ive seen hundereds of cats, parrots, and goldfishes heads mounted on their walls :rolleyes:

Preacher
09-06-2007, 11:49 PM
t.o. must be talking about the big game hunters. after all, ive seen hundreds of cats, parrots, and goldfishes heads mounted on their walls :rolleyes:

HEY...

When did you ever come to my house!!

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
09-07-2007, 12:18 AM
t.o. must be talking about the big game hunters. after all, ive seen hundereds of cats, parrots, and goldfishes heads mounted on their walls :rolleyes:

It will be a few days before I can post again I'm in the process of preparing my dog. I figured why should I continue to feed him. He is currently hanging in the kitchen and with all the heat in California lately it's been wreaking havoc on the carcass but dang does his head look good mounted on the wall ...Yeeeee hawwww

Bobby Socks
09-07-2007, 11:15 AM
T.O. is right, dogfighting is not really different than hunting. People do it all the time.

rog
09-07-2007, 11:22 AM
T.O. is right, dogfighting is not really different than hunting. People do it all the time.

HUNTING IS LEGAL DOGFIGHTING IS ILLEGAL!!!

does this make sense to anyone else?

X-Terminator
09-07-2007, 11:23 AM

OK, this is the last time I am going to address you, because I've wasted enough time and energy already:

Dogfighting IS different from hunting because IT...IS...ILLEGAL. Why can't you get that through your thick skull?

There is NO defense for what Vick did. None whatsoever.

Bobby Socks
09-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Dogfighting is part of his culture. Yes, it is illegal, but Vick is black and famous. That makes him a target for racist law enforcement. The local police should be handling this, not the feds. Whats worse is that the NFL has suspended him and he lost his endorsements. How is he supposed to make a living? I hope he gets probation, and the NFL reinstates him. If that happens I will be laughing at you when he is winning Super Bowls with his new team. With faith in Jesus I'm sure Michael can get through this.

MACH1
09-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Dogfighting is part of his culture. Yes, it is illegal, but Vick is black and famous. That makes him a target for racist law enforcement. The local police should be handling this, not the feds. Whats worse is that the NFL has suspended him and he lost his endorsements. How is he supposed to make a living? I hope he gets probation, and the NFL reinstates him. If that happens I will be laughing at you when he is winning Super Bowls with his new team. With faith in Jesus I'm sure Michael can get through this.

Yes it is illegal thats why he's going to prison. The feds are there because it took place in multiple states which therefor makes it a federal case. :dang:

Atlanta Dan
09-13-2007, 04:54 PM

Mr. Socks - If you think Michael Vick will be winning Super Bowls with his new team your faith in the ability of Jesus to perform miracles is strong indeed.

As for your concerns about Senor Mexico earning a living, his meals & lodging will be covered in prison, after which I am confident his talents will provide numerous oppportunities to secure gainful employment in the food service, janitorial, or waste management industries.

Steelerstrength
09-13-2007, 06:19 PM

I'd like to believe that our society has evolved. Critical thinking, including problem solving and knowing what is viewed as right from wrong, comes from education and common sense.

Vick has absolutely no excuse! He attended college, and is part of a league that has recently made things crystal clear on their personal conduct rules. The behaviour of many NFL players, and those consequences, should have served Vick as a deterent to his violations. He bought property, purposefully built a hidden dog training area, bought dogs for only one reason - killing, participated in the training, assessment, and killing of dogs (one at a time he participated in electrocuting a dog, drowning a dog while it was alive) who chose not to kill others, arranged a gambling ring to profit from the killings, knowing all along that this was illegal! Once caught, he lied to the police, the feds, the commissioner of the NFL (face to face), the Falcons team owner, and to all his fans. This is a long process with malice aforethought! He repeated his actions for many years!

This is a person who knew he was wrong, that's why he hid that area of his property, then blamed it on his family for taking advantage! He doesn't even care about his own family! What an ASS! Again, there is no excuse!

Is it cultural to lie, cheat and then kill, watch more killings, lie more, blame your family, and lie again to your boss and the police? Hell no!

I see two years in prison, two years suspension from the NFL, once he gets out, then he must apply for reinstatement, with proven behavioral changes prior to playing again. Then any team who takes a chance on him will be tarnished. Make him play in the CFL, or earn his living some other way, like a common criminal.

Our society has laws. Vick must obey them! We all have choices in life, and he made multiple decisions to do wrong! The consequences are for his repeated actions, and his personal choices. He may be getting off easily campared to those actions!

Elvis
09-13-2007, 07:12 PM
I know that it is easy to get down on someone that is in trouble like he is. Now, I am a father of 2 wonderful children, but ya know something? There is something wrong with our nation that takes dogfighting this serious and there are people out here every day that kill or beat their children and they dont get more than 2 years... whats up with that? There is a man down in S.C. recently here had shaken his child to death and he got 2 Freekin' Years!!!!!!! And someone kills a dog... or 3 or whatever and he is getting just almost the same punishment!!! What is up with our justice system?
What A Joke... Vick would have gotten off cheaper killing a child than he will for killing some stupid dogs...
:jawdrop:

Steelerstrength
09-13-2007, 08:24 PM
I know that it is easy to get down on someone that is in trouble like he is. Now, I am a father of 2 wonderful children, but ya know something? There is something wrong with our nation that takes dogfighting this serious and there are people out here every day that kill or beat their children and they dont get more than 2 years... whats up with that? There is a man down in S.C. recently here had shaken his child to death and he got 2 Freekin' Years!!!!!!! And someone kills a dog... or 3 or whatever and he is getting just almost the same punishment!!! What is up with our justice system?
What A Joke... Vick would have gotten off cheaper killing a child than he will for killing some stupid dogs...
:jawdrop:

The system is jacked, especially if a child killer only gets two years! You cannot argue that the punishment for various crimes should, and has only been in few cases, revised to reflect our current values as a society! :iagree:

But that does not mean that Vick should get less than two years for his actions! And they are far from "stupid dogs". Re-read my post on the things Vick did wrong. This is not a case of only killing dogs.

I am a father as well, and own dogs. It does not have to be one vs the other here. A childs life is very precious, and they are so innocent. You cannot ever replace a child!

revefsreleets
09-13-2007, 08:25 PM

So, by this argument, you are saying that if a KKK member lynched a black man, he deserves special consideration because "It's part of his culture"? Perhaps we should be concerned about that Klan members well being, too? Laughable.

First off, Mike Vick already made more money than probably any 20 posters here will make in their whole lives combined, and he made that money by playing the QB position poorly, and by being a horrible human being off the field. Secondly....oh, wait. I've been had. This isn't real. My bad. I actually thought you were serious until I read the Jesus stuff at the end. That in and of itself I can see, but altogether? Only way a serious poster posts this is if they are in 3rd grade.

Livinginthe past
09-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Some great posts here - unfortunately the target of your justifiable ire is no longer with us.

Bobbysox was a previously banned member who tried to sneak back.

So say our mods.

revefsreleets
09-13-2007, 08:58 PM
So I WAS duped!

Indy_Steelers
09-14-2007, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by Bobby Socks
"How is he supposed to make a living?"

By asking me if I would like fries with that.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
09-14-2007, 12:39 AM

:flap:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
09-14-2007, 12:43 AM
oh :cheers::cheers:

fansince'76
09-14-2007, 12:54 AM
Some great posts here - unfortunately the target of your justifiable ire is no longer with us.

Bobbysox was a previously banned member who tried to sneak back.

So say our mods.

Paranoia, anyone? :toofunny: