PDA

View Full Version : Pennington done for the year

BlitzburghRockCity
09-26-2005, 10:37 PM
From KFFL:

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports New York Jets QB Chad Pennington (shoulder) is expected to miss the remainder of the season with a torn rotator cuff.

Koopa
09-26-2005, 10:40 PM
i heard on espn ealier that it might just be torn scare tissue and that they might be jumping to conclusion to fast. but who knows? i'll just wait to i see a press confrence or something from the jets organization saying that this is true

BlitzburghRockCity
09-26-2005, 10:47 PM
Yeah I better check the available players in one of my FF leagues for a backup QB now.

I.C. Lights
09-26-2005, 11:02 PM
This is more horrible news. I mentioned before that the Jets are my (distant) #2 team, and Pennington is awesome. He's had such a frustrating career so far...

BB2W
09-26-2005, 11:08 PM
Wow!!! this is too bad... He was not ready, they should not have brought him back so soon. It is obvious he has some arm issues.

I always root for the MAC QB's. :redface:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-26-2005, 11:09 PM
All the teams they jets played so far, said Chad just didnt look right throwing the intermiate and long passes. It's too bad, alot of people picked him to have a pro bowl caliber year.

Prosdo
09-26-2005, 11:31 PM
Not good news at all. Wish him a speedy recovery.

Koopa
09-26-2005, 11:40 PM
they should bring back quincy carter, i wonder what happened to him or maybe vinny

Ambridge
09-27-2005, 10:13 AM
Wow!!! this is too bad... He was not ready, they should not have brought him back so soon. It is obvious he has some arm issues.

I always root for the MAC QB's. :redface:

I agree he came back too fast.
I have a family member who tore his rotator cuff playing baseball.
The doctor told him it would be a year or longer until it properly heals and that he needed to very careful not to do too much activity that would risk aggravating or reinjuring it.

Tough loss for the Jets.

BB2W
09-27-2005, 02:11 PM
I agree he came back too fast.
I have a family member who tore his rotator cuff playing baseball.
The doctor told him it would be a year or longer until it properly heals and that he needed to very careful not to do too much activity that would risk aggravating or reinjuring it.

Tough loss for the Jets.

I know, I heard on ESPN radio that it was more than just the rotator cuff... they cleaned up some other stuff while they were in there. They also said that Tim Couch had the same surgery before Pennington and most team doctors have Couch a few weeks away from being ready.

I have heard it was mostly Chad saying he was ready, and the team wanting to beleive in him because he has played through injuries before...someone rushed Chad's comeback, and it may cost him his career.

Koopa
09-27-2005, 02:54 PM
Pennington Out; Testaverde Rejoins Jets
By BARRY WILNER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) - Chad Pennington's season is done with a second tear to his right rotator cuff in less than a year.

His backup, Jay Fiedler, also could be lost to the New York Jets for the rest of 2005 with a dislocated shoulder. The team signed former starter Vinny Testaverde on Tuesday to back up untested Brooks Bollinger at quarterback in Sunday's game at Baltimore.

Both Pennington and Fiedler were on the same flight to Alabama on Tuesday to see Dr. James Andrews, the noted orthopedist who repaired Pennington's rotator cuff in February. Coach Herman Edwards emphasized this tear, revealed in an MRI exam Monday, was to a different portion of the shoulder.

``It's tough, I anticipate he will be out for the season,'' Edwards said. ``I've never been in the situation where you lose the No. 1 and 2 quarterbacks in a span of seven plays.''

Pennington re-injured his right shoulder in the third quarter of Sunday's 26-20 overtime loss to Jacksonville. Jay Fiedler replaced Pennington, then went down early in the fourth period.

``I don't anticipate either of them being back this year,'' Edwards said.

Edwards feels particularly bad for Pennington because of what the quarterback went through earlier this year after playing injured for much of 2004.

``It is harder for me because we know all the work he has put into it,'' Edwards said. ``The doctors had him on a schedule that got him back this season. What do you say to a guy about that?

``He'll do what he has to do to come back. But it is tough. He's a little down.''

Testaverde, 41, led the Jets to the 1998 AFC title game and was the starter before Pennington replaced him in 2002. He was with Dallas last year, but was not with any NFL team in 2005 - until he called Edwards on Monday, worked out Tuesday and was signed for the rest of the season.

``Vinny's a guy who has been here,'' Edwards said. ``He's a good fit for us as far as he is in his comfort zone here, he knows me, we had a great relationship. He can throw the ball. He can get up at 3 in the morning and still throw an out (pattern) as well as anybody.''

The Jets expected to sign a third quarterback later Tuesday.

After the Jacksonville game, Pennington said the pain was similar to last season, when he initially hurt his shoulder.

``It's frustrating and demoralizing,'' Pennington said. ``I worked really hard to get back to playing, putting in all the extra hours in over time, and trying to come back to be out there on the field. When something like that happens, it really tests you. It tests your willpower, your mind and your confidence.''

Pennington's future might be in jeopardy after his career got off to such a promising start.

In 2002, Pennington replaced the ineffective Testaverde following a 1-3 start and led the Jets to the playoffs. Pennington led the NFL with a 104.2 passer rating and was on the fast track to revitalize a snakebitten franchise.

Then the injuries started. In 2003, he broke his wrist in the preseason and missed the first six regular-season games. Nonetheless, the Jets gave him a $64 million contract before last season started, banking their future on him.

He hurt his shoulder in November, missed three games, but returned to lead the Jets back into the playoffs. Pennington played with the rotator cuff torn, and the team revealed the extent of the injury once the season ended.

The Jets put Pennington on a fast track to be ready for the 2005 opener, even though he would be seven months removed from surgery and a stranger to the offense being installed by new coordinator Mike Heimerdinger.

Pennington looked shaky in all three games. He fumbled six times against Kansas City, and struggled mightily against Miami and Jacksonville. His balls floated, and many lacked velocity. In three games, the Jets scored 37 points on offense and Pennington was 49-of-83 for 530 yards with two touchdowns and three interceptions.

Edwards said the team doesn't second-guess starting the season with Pennington.

``We followed what the doctors told us to do and that is what coaches do,'' Edwards said Tuesday. ``I was answering that question in the spring, and in the summer it got to be why Chad was not throwing the ball? Because the doctors said he should not.

``We did it correctly, by the numbers.''

Edwards also had no regrets about allowing Pennington to go back into the game when Fielder was hurt.

``No, not at all,'' he said. ``He threw the ball 11 times, the two longest passes were 10 yards.''

Fiedler was acquired this season to give Pennington an experienced backup. Fiedler took all the snaps during offseason training activities and he shared much of the preseason work. That won't do much good now.

AP Football Writers Andrea Adelson and Dave Goldberg, and Sports Writer Dennis Waszak contributed to this report.

http://isp.netscape.com/lcisp/home/story.jsp?flok=FF-APO-2020&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20050927%2F1515084594.htm&sc=2020&floc=isp-30&related=off&from=sports

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-27-2005, 03:25 PM
ive heard too many people say that pittsburgh made a mistake not drafting Pennington when we had the chance.
But now we have Big Ben and the kid can even punt..........

clevestinks
09-27-2005, 04:25 PM
Pennington may be done forever. He has a weak arm that gets weaker each year with shoulder surgeries. Be glad he got the big pay day already