PDA

View Full Version : cowher still coaching? (predicts steelers 3rd in division)

tony hipchest
09-06-2007, 12:21 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07249/815045-66.stm

Now that he's no longer coach of the Steelers, Bill Cowher apparently feels free to play the what-if game.

He predicts the Steelers will finish third in the AFC North behind Baltimore and Cincinnati.

"Those two teams, I think they're still the top two," Cowher said Tuesday on the NFL Network. "And still I think Pittsburgh, they've got a chance with their schedule to get off to a good start, they've got a chance to be a team to be contended with."
if that dont get the steelers fired up, i dont know what will. i see ya workin bill, and its a shame you decided to quit. i wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors, just like i know you wish the same for your boys in the black and gold...

verks36
09-06-2007, 01:13 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07249/815045-66.stm

if that dont get the steelers fired up, i dont know what will. i see ya workin bill, and its a shame you decided to quit. i wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors, just like i know you wish the same for your boys in the black and gold...

he is just using this as motivation. He know this will fire up the players.

Also bill knows first hand how bad the bungles and rat birds are he has whooped their ass his fair share of times.

Preacher
09-06-2007, 01:32 AM
Here is what I find funny

Cowher predicts 3rd, and we wonder if he is still coaching.

A sports writer predicts 3rd, and we wonder if he is high...

Hmmmm.

Galax Steeler
09-06-2007, 03:47 AM
Just a modivation tool the boys will come out fired up.

83-Steelers-43
09-06-2007, 06:07 AM
Man I'm craving a Bill Cowher retirement update. I wonder what he's doing RIGHT NOW as I type this sentence? Sleeping? Eating breakfast? Sitting on the pot? Come on PPG and Trib, I need my weekly Cowher dose!!!

fansince'76
09-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Bill Cowher parroting what 90% of the rest of the pundits are saying. What a stretch. :coffee:

Crushzilla
09-06-2007, 09:03 AM
I don't think he's trying to "fire up the boys."

He's moved past Pittsburgh.

To me, he's just another analyst giving us the same spot as most of the others.

rog
09-06-2007, 09:20 AM
I can't imagine Cowher worring about getting the Steelers fired up. He works for CBS now not the Rooneys this was just an opinion there is nothing to read into. I'm sure he wishes the Steelers well and wants to see them have a good year but he isn't trying to motivate them.

MACH1
09-06-2007, 09:28 AM
I don't think he's trying to "fire up the boys."

He's moved past Pittsburgh.

To me, he's just another analyst giving us the same spot as most of the others.

But it does make for good Bulletin board material.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Thats nice Bill...You're entitled to your opinion...I have a prediction of my own....I think Tomlin coached teams won't fall apart in AFC title games like your teams did Bill.....lol

rog
09-06-2007, 09:55 AM
Thats nice Bill...You're entitled to your opinion...I have a prediction of my own....I think Tomlin coached teams won't fall apart in AFC title games like your teams did Bill.....lol

Little harsh for a guy that got us number 5 right?

Edman
09-06-2007, 10:18 AM
If this really is a secret motivational ploy by Cowher(I doubt), thanks, but I think you're a season too late to coach and motivate, Bill. This isn't your team anymore. Leave us be.

Like Jerome became the 'Media Bus' in 2006, Cowher has now become the 'Media Chin'. They're one of "them" now.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-06-2007, 10:24 AM

Nope...Ok Cowher finally got the one for a thumb....But actually Super Bowl XL should have been the 6th or 7th or 8th Super Bowl title in Steelers history.....Look at all those AFC title games losses and it just makes you wonder what could have been?

I totally blame Neil for Super Bowl XXX....lol

Edman
09-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Nope...Ok Cowher finally got the one for a thumb....But actually Super Bowl XL should have been the 6th or 7th or 8th Super Bowl title in Steelers history.....Look at all those AFC title games losses and it just makes you wonder what could have been?

I totally blame Neil for Super Bowl XXX....lol

Or at least 7 or 8 Super Bowl appearances instead of 6.

1994 is inexcusable. That was an awesome Steeler team.
1995 I blame Neil on.
1997...I really have no idea how that happened.
2001 was a nightmarish abortion.
2004 we just simply lost straight up.

delhess
09-06-2007, 10:55 AM
don't forget who got us to those champ games

rbryan
09-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Theres got to be part of Cowher that wants to see the team struggle. It's human nature. If Tomlin lights it up and the Steelers go on to more success than with Cowher it will obviously take away from his legacy.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-06-2007, 11:17 AM

1994 is inexcusable. That was an awesome Steeler team.
1995 I blame Neil on.

The 94 loss to the Chargers was the worst in my mind...Even worse then Super Bowl XXX....The Steelers were better then the Chargers and I really think that Blitzburgh D would have gave the 94 49ers offense some fits.....

The 97 loss to the Broncos stings since we beat the Broncos in the regular season that year....Plus Bettis would have ran through that Packer D just like Terrell Davis did.....

As for the 2001 loss to the Pats...Yes Kordell has his usual play-off stinker.......But giving up two special teams TDs is just embarrassing especially since Cowher was supposed to be special teams guru...lol I also think the Steelers would have beaten the Rams like the Pats did.....

The 2004 loss to the Pats...The Pats were better and I didn't expect the Steelers to win with a rookie QB......Even though that was magical year and it seemed the Steelers would find a way to win every week....

rog
09-06-2007, 11:19 AM
I'll give you that his sucsess in AFCC games is not what it could have been but at the same time name me a coach that could have done as well as he did with Kordell Stewart. Not to freakin many.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-06-2007, 11:20 AM
don't forget who got us to those champ games

So what.........Yea its great to go to 6 AFC title games and only win 2.....Especially since 5 of those games were in the Burgh....lol

I'm glad Cowher is gone and it was long over due......I was a huge Cowher fan at onetime.....He was a very good football coach...But he sucked in big games...Thats his legacy to me.....A Super Bowl XL win doesn't erase all those other let downs...lol

Yes the players deserve blame also but I also put blame on the coaches as well.....

rog
09-06-2007, 11:23 AM
I'd rather be in the AFCC game on what was a pretty regular basis than be a team that comes up quick and wins it all but falls apart and fades into oblivion for 5,6, or 7 years before theur ready to compete again.

fansince'76
09-06-2007, 11:23 AM

1994 is inexcusable. That was an awesome Steeler team..

Agreed, outside the journeyman QB at best we had at the time.

1995 I blame Neil on.

Again, the QB - enough said.

3 picks by Kordell, including one inside the Broncos' 5-yard line trailing by 10 in the 3rd.

STs got us into the hole, but again, Kordell couldn't get us downfield for a tie when trailing by 7 late in the 4th - not once, but TWICE, with both potential scoring drives ended by INTs.

Ben played like the rookie he was.

Anybody else see the pattern here?

Black@Gold Forever32
09-06-2007, 11:30 AM
I see most of you still have your man crush on Bill Cowher...lol I understand Cowher didn't have the best QBs....Buts its typical Steelers fans all the blame goes on the QB and Cowher gets a pass...lol

rog
09-06-2007, 11:31 AM
So what.........Yea its great to go to 6 AFC title games and only win 2.....Especially since 5 of those games were in the Burgh....lol

I'm glad Cowher is gone and it was long over due......I was a huge Cowher fan at onetime.....He was a very good football coach...But he sucked in big games...Thats his legacy to me.....A Super Bowl XL win doesn't erase all those other let downs...lol

Yes the players deserve blame also but I also put blame on the coaches as well.....

What portion of the blame does a coach deserve for horrible interceptions at crucial times or for special teams getting ran all over them. I look at super bowl XXX one of the best calls I've ever seen in a football game was the surprise onside kick that Cowher made. That call gave us a chance and Neil threw that chance right to Larry Brown of all people. I don't know why fans blame Cowher for that crap he was a great coach and a hall of fame coach I guess wining more games than another team during his tenure just isn't enough for some people.

fansince'76
09-06-2007, 11:33 AM
I see most of you still have your man crush on Bill Cowher...lol I understand Cowher didn't have the best QBs....Buts its typical Steelers fans all the blame goes on the QB and Cowher gets a pass...lol

I'm just wondering how many rings Belichick would have right now if he had some of the garbage under center that Cowher had. I imagine he'd still be working on #1.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-06-2007, 11:38 AM
What portion of the blame does a coach deserve for horrible interceptions at crucial times or for special teams getting ran all over them. I look at super bowl XXX one of the best calls I've ever seen in a football game was the surprise onside kick that Cowher made. That call gave us a chance and Neil threw that chance right to Larry Brown of all people. I don't know why fans blame Cowher for that crap he was a great coach and a hall of fame coach I guess wining more games than another team during his tenure just isn't enough for some people.

I guess you missed when I said I totally blamed Neil for the Super Bowl XXX loss in a few posts back?lol

Yes I remember the onside kick that Deion Figures recovered very well thank you...It was a great call...So whats your ****ing point?lol

How dare I question the great Bill Cowher?lol

rog
09-06-2007, 11:39 AM
It's easy to complain about not wining the Super Bowl every year i guess but to bitch and whine about Cowher not wining more than 1 ring or AFCC game to me is just dumb if you ask me considering how hard it is.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-06-2007, 11:43 AM
I'm just wondering how many rings Belichick would have right now if he had some of the garbage under center that Cowher had. I imagine he'd still be working on #1.

According to some Steelers fans Brady is garbage and over-rated....It was the great team he had around him that won those Super Bowls...Oh and the great clutch kicker....lol

Can't I have an opinion like you all?.....I made one post to respond to Cowhers prediction and people get butt hurt and respond since I knocked the great Bill Cowher and his sorry record in AFC title games?

As for Belichick....You don't know me that well.....Yes I think Little Bill is a very good football coach...But I don't think he is the so called genius that people constantly label him with....lol So try again......:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

rog
09-06-2007, 11:45 AM
I guess you missed when I said I totally blamed Neil for the Super Bowl XXX loss in a few posts back?lol

Yes I remember the onside kick that Deion Figures recovered very well thank you...It was a great call...So whats your ****ing point?lol

How dare I question the great Bill Cowher?lol

I never said you couldn't Question him but like I said if winning more game than anyone else for 15 years and a Super Bowl isn't enough to make you happy and be greatful for what he did here is IMO crazy.

After all we could have been in the same boat with the Browns or Bengals and not have won anything!

delhess
09-06-2007, 11:45 AM
I'd rather be in the AFCC game on what was a pretty regular basis than be a team that comes up quick and wins it all but falls apart and fades into oblivion for 5,6, or 7 years before theur ready to compete again.

i agree, some people always see the glass half empty

Black@Gold Forever32
09-06-2007, 11:48 AM
It's easy to complain about not wining the Super Bowl every year i guess but to bitch and whine about Cowher not wining more than 1 ring or AFCC game to me is just dumb if you ask me considering how hard it is.

Ok I'm sending you your Bill Cowher fat head right now so you can worship it at alltime....I'm not bitching or whining...I'm stating my opinion which I'm entitled to last time I checked....

Plus I never expect the Steelers to win it all every year....But when you do put your team in position 6 times and you fall short 4 of those times when 5 of those games were at Pittsburgh then I would at least expect a 500 record in AFC title games...Some of you need to get off you Cowher man crush....

rog
09-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Ok I'm sending you your Bill Cowher fat head right now so you can worship it at alltime....I'm not bitching or whining...I'm stating my opinion which I'm entitled to last time I checked....

Plus I never expect the Steelers to win it all every year....But when you do put your team in position 6 times and you fall short 4 of those times when 5 of those games were at Pittsburgh then I would at least expect a 500 record in AFC title games...Some of you need to get off you Cowher man crush....

Thanks I have wanted a fathead for sometime now but thought they were to expensive.........lol

I was in no way being personal I hope you didn't think i was. I just have alot of friends and family that think the Steelers and their players owe tham something for their support and I don't lok at it that way. My crazy ass father-in-law wanted them to cut Ben last year after like 4 games sometime I think peoples expectations are just a little high.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Thanks I have wanted a fathead for sometime now but thought they were to expensive.........lol

I was in no way being personal I hope you didn't think i was. I just have alot of friends and family that think the Steelers and their players owe tham something for their support and I don't lok at it that way. My crazy ass father-in-law wanted them to cut Ben last year after like 4 games sometime I think peoples expectations are just a little high.

I don't think the Steelers organization from owners,coaches to players owe me a damn thing....All I'm saying is I think Cowher deserves some of the blame for the let downs like the QBs do.....I agree from Neil to Tomzcak to Kordell the Steelers QBs sucked.....But I think Cowher has to take some blame in his 2-4 record in title games...Especially since 5 of those were in Pittsburgh....

Plus I didn't like his prediction and that got me fired up...So all those let down memories popped up again in my mind...lol I thought Cowher was a very good football coach and I'm thankful for what he did for the Steelers.....But at the same time the Cowher era was bitter sweet......

fansince'76
09-06-2007, 12:06 PM
But at the same time the Cowher era was bitter sweet......

Amen to that. :cheers:

Black@Gold Forever32
09-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Amen to that. :cheers:

:cheers:Back at you.....Its all good.....I got on my soap box for the day and I'm done now...lol

delhess
09-06-2007, 01:21 PM
i would agree the cowher era was bitter sweet. but i loved it. i love a little angst, people putting your team down just adds to the loyalty. cowher was NOT perfect, he had his faults. there is no doubt. but i loved him for it. i loved his passion so much, and hate to see it gone.

Hammer67
09-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Bill Cowher parroting what 90% of the rest of the pundits are saying. What a stretch. :coffee:

Really aren't many options! Basically it's one of three!

rog
09-06-2007, 02:16 PM
i would agree the cowher era was bitter sweet. but i loved it. i love a little angst, people putting your team down just adds to the loyalty. cowher was NOT perfect, he had his faults. there is no doubt. but i loved him for it. i loved his passion so much, and hate to see it gone.

Well said.

Atlanta Dan
09-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Cowher picking the Steelers 3rd is the smart choice to build his cred since he is now in "sports journalism" (aka flying up to New York on Saturday for a great dinner, yukking it up on the set on Sunday, watching the games, and then having a few cold ones on the first class flight home). I wonder if they will actually make Cowher "work" during the week and fly somewhere to conduct a hard hitting interview. Not a bad gig - wish i could line one like that up.

If he would have picked the Steelers he would have been branded a homer and Merrill Hoge has that title locked up.:smile:

atlsteelers
09-06-2007, 03:10 PM
he may just be doing tomlin a favor - not putting too much pressure on him by picking the steelers to win the division. if he picked the steelers to finish 1st, some folks would construe that to meanging anything less from tomlin getting the team to finish first would be a failure and that if he cowher was still coaching he would bring them another division championship...

SteelFist
09-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Like many, I truly believe that deep inside Cowher intentions were to motivate the Steelers. Just as he has always done.

HometownGal
09-06-2007, 04:52 PM
I just watched a clip of a Pompeani live interview with James Farrior. James was highly offended at Cowher's remarks and said he felt Cowher would always have their backs and that by making this predicition, it "makes him (Cowher) look good." I don't know if I agree with that, but you could see the fire in his eyes as he made this statement.

Farrior also put out a warning to Kellum Winslow, Jr. that he'd better "keep his head on his shoulders". KDKA showed the clip of the cheap shot Farrior took from Winslow last season and Farrior said this has stayed in the back of his mind.

I think we're going to be in for one helluva game! :tt02:

delhess
09-06-2007, 05:05 PM
i thought some more about this subject today and this is where i came out: cowher can't predict the team, the same team he lead to 8-8, minus a few key players) to do better then last year. if he does, the obvious question would be, why? because of the coaching?

steelpride12
09-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Screw him lets use that as fuel for the fire were bringing to the dawg pound!

Edman
09-06-2007, 07:19 PM
I'm not trying to discredit Cowher's accomplishments with the Steelers, I thank him for number 5, but it's so frustrating to see all of those wasted opportunities in the past. Super Bowl XL may ease the pain, but it also intensifies it at points. Cowher put together some pretty talented Steeler teams during the 90's and 00's.

Too bad the one of the things holding him back was the QB. Kordell managed to get chicken bones stuck in his throat too many times in the AFC title games. It wasn't until Ben that we finally won it all.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
09-06-2007, 07:29 PM

We should have been filling up our toes with rings

Stlrs4Life
09-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Well it seems like 1 player took it to heart:

Farrior:

Saying tonight on the local news that he was very dissapointed that Cowher came out and picked the Steelers to finish 3rd in the division. Saying that he should know the Steelers better then anybody and he thought he would have their backs. He went on to say he thinks Cowher is very bitter and wants them to fail because he is no longer the coach.

Welcome To Smashmouth
09-06-2007, 09:22 PM
I believe in stayg loyal to your franchise, and this not angering any steeler fan will have me scratching my head twice - once for cowhers comments, and once towards the fan.

This man coached us for fifteen years, and gave us some absolutely unforgettable memories, and oh yeah...a super bowl ring. It makes you wonder, with both Jerome and Ben taking some "low blows" at their ex-coach this preseason.....is coach cowher getting back at those comments in his own way??

Yes, I understand Baltimore is being called the favorite in the division...but for any fan, ex-player, and ex-coach who still BELIEVES in their team, why in God's name would they make comments like that?? Hopefully its to fuel the fire in the Pittsburgh players that he no doubt still has love for. Maybe thats his reasoning, maybe not but nonetheless this type of news has got to be upsetting to any fan of the steelers or of coach cowher

Steel Pit
09-07-2007, 05:44 AM

Dude! You ABSOLUTELY have my mind. I love it. I echo your sentiments to the freaking T.
While reading this post and your previous post it sounded as if I typed it myself. :hug:

Steel Pit
09-07-2007, 05:58 AM

I believe that Belichick would have found somebody other than "Garbage" to put under center.
That's what portion of the blame Cowher deserves for those horrible interceptions in the AFC championship games. It was Cowher's job to field a QB that wouldn't make those mistakes. And don't give me any crap about those type's of QB's being hard to find. For Gods sake, the Baltimore Ravens went out and picked up Trent Dilfer and won a damn Super Bowl with the same style of play that the Steelers incorporated during the Cowher era, RUNNING THE BALL WHILE PLAYING GREAT DEFENSE!

Counselor
09-07-2007, 08:50 AM
i thought some more about this subject today and this is where i came out: cowher can't predict the team, the same team he lead to 8-8, minus a few key players) to do better then last year. if he does, the obvious question would be, why? because of the coaching?

Agreed. Not only that, but don't you think that Cowher has to be a bit jealous? The national media in particular has dubbed Tomlin the "second coming"? Tomlin is a media and fan darling---partly because of his amazing charisma and partly because he's got no baggage yet.

Personally, I'm thrilled to have a coach with passion and determination----but it also emphasizes how much of that passion was lost in Cowher last season. He sees the stark difference as much as we do---which is why he is claiming he'll never coach again, and why he's "predicting" the team to fail.

rog
09-07-2007, 09:04 AM
I believe that Belichick would have found somebody other than "Garbage" to put under center.
That's what portion of the blame Cowher deserves for those horrible interceptions in the AFC championship games. It was Cowher's job to field a QB that wouldn't make those mistakes. And don't give me any crap about those type's of QB's being hard to find. For Gods sake, the Baltimore Ravens went out and picked up Trent Dilfer and won a damn Super Bowl with the same style of play that the Steelers incorporated during the Cowher era, RUNNING THE BALL WHILE PLAYING GREAT DEFENSE!

Dilfer may have won a super bowl with them but they still got rid of him that offseason. And what have the Ravens done since won 1 playoff game Cowher gave us a cgance every year with the exception os a very few. You have to understand that Cowher gets paid by CBS now not the Steelers his loyalty lies with them now not with Pittsburgh. You can't blame him for doing his job besides he is def. not the only one who feels this way about the team.

Steel Pit
09-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Dilfer may have won a super bowl with them but they still got rid of him that offseason. And what have the Ravens done since won 1 playoff game Cowher gave us a cgance every year with the exception os a very few. You have to understand that Cowher gets paid by CBS now not the Steelers his loyalty lies with them now not with Pittsburgh. You can't blame him for doing his job besides he is def. not the only one who feels this way about the team.

"besides he is def. not the only one who feels this way about the team"

You're right, but this is the team that just happens to be seated in the city that Cowher will always call home.

This is the team that made Cowher a freaking millionaire.

This is the team that Cowher slept with, celebrated with, and even cried with for nearly 1/4 of his life. I'm sorry if I mistakenly expected a little loyalty from Cowher, My fault man, how dumb of me.

And yes sir, the Ravens did release Dilfer. So what's your point? That just emphasizes all the more that Bill Cowher could have picked up a veteran-journeyman QB, won a Super Bowl, and then disposed of the QB.

I get tired of hearing about how grateful we should be to Cowher for the numerous playoff appearances. Initially, it was GREAT! Oh yes it was. Cowher brought us back from the dreadful decade of the 1980's.

But what many of you seem to forget is THE FACT that many of those Cowher coached Steelers teams WERE CONSIDERED BY MANY TO BE THE BEST DAMN TEAM IN THE LEAGUE. Consistently being eliminated from the playoffs by inferior teams was more than a let down. Simply put, there was no excuse for it. Cowhers head should have rolled after the 2001 playoff loss to the ABSOLUTELY-INFERIOR PATRIOTS!

SteelerFanInCA
09-07-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm sure down deep Cowher will still be rooting for the black & gold. :tt02:

Jman
09-07-2007, 03:50 PM
I appreciate what Bill Cowher has done for the Steelers franchise. He has had multiple playoff appearances and to get to the playoffs, not an easy thing. I commend him for it.

I appreciate the dedication he has had as well. He was coach for many years and it was great to see that tradition stick.

My issue was the final year of coaching. He shouldn't have come back. He shouldn't have said anything. There's a lot of things he should have done differently. Past is past, and I look forward to Mike Tomlin.

rog
09-07-2007, 04:07 PM
It is not like he came out of nowhere with this opinion there are a ton of people that don't think the steelers will do better than 3rd in the division it's not like he got caught defacing the chiefs statue outside of heinz field.

Jman
09-07-2007, 04:13 PM
It is not like he came out of nowhere with this opinion there are a ton of people that don't think the steelers will do better than 3rd in the division it's not like he got caught defacing the chiefs statue outside of heinz field.

:iagree:

fansince'76
09-07-2007, 05:39 PM

Sure, during the infancy of Plan B, and before the construction of Heinz Field, when half our best players were seemingly walking out through the revolving door on the clubhouse at the time on an annual basis? That was Cowher's fault too, right? And forgive me for thinking the '95 Cowboys were a bit tougher of a Super Bowl opponent than the 2000 Giants. As far as Belichick goes, it seems to me his '94 Browns got spanked to the tune of a 29-9 score by Cowher's '94 Steelers in an AFC Divisional playoff game. And yes, those QBs ARE hard to find. A find like Brady is a once-in-a-generation lucky break (see Montana in the 3rd round in '79). Ask the Broncos how hard it is to replace a great QB. In the eight years since Elway retired, they've managed to win ONE playoff game. Not to mention the Dolphins - they're on QB #8, or is it #9 since the Marino era ended? Been so many I've lost count.

MACH1
09-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Sure, at the infancy of Plan B, and before Heinz Field, when half our best players were seemingly walking out through the revolving door on the clubhouse at the time on an annual basis? That was Cowher's fault too, right? And forgive me for thinking the '95 Cowboys were a bit tougher of a Super Bowl opponent than the 2000 Giants. As far as Belichick goes, it seems to me his '94 Browns got spanked to the tune of a 29-9 score by Cowher's '94 Steelers. And yes, those QBs ARE hard to find. A find like Brady is a once-in-a-generation lucky break. Ask the Broncos how hard it is to replace a great QB. In the eight years since Elway retired, they've managed to win ONE playoff game.

Don't forget the fish since marino retired. They haven't exactly found a franchise guy in how many years?

Steel Pit
09-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Sure, during the infancy of Plan B, and before the construction of Heinz Field, when half our best players were seemingly walking out through the revolving door on the clubhouse at the time on an annual basis? That was Cowher's fault too, right? And forgive me for thinking the '95 Cowboys were a bit tougher of a Super Bowl opponent than the 2000 Giants. As far as Belichick goes, it seems to me his '94 Browns got spanked to the tune of a 29-9 score by Cowher's '94 Steelers in an AFC Divisional playoff game. And yes, those QBs ARE hard to find. A find like Brady is a once-in-a-generation lucky break (see Montana in the 3rd round in '79). Ask the Broncos how hard it is to replace a great QB. In the eight years since Elway retired, they've managed to win ONE playoff game. Not to mention the Dolphins - they're on QB #8, or is it #9 since the Marino era ended? Been so many I've lost count.

Now who said that Cowher had to find a Brady? Who?????

I IMPLIED THAT FINDING A VETERAN-JOURNEYMAN QB, such as the Ravens did with Dilfer wouldn't be a difficult thing to do.

To your Broncos and Dolphins comments. What "GREAT QB" were Cowher's Steelers trying to replace? I believe that the Broncos now have a decent QB. Prior to that I'll give them much credit for trying to replace Elway. Jake wasn't bad. That's my point, Cowher knew that his QB was less than average but he never attempted to find an adequate replacement via free agency or by a high draft choice. At least the Broncos recognized their need for a QB and made efforts to find one. Who cares about the Dolphins? Their problems go well beyond the loss of a QB.

I know all about the 94 Browns/Steelers playoff game. I attended that game and it still ranks as one of my top 3. And the next week Cowher got SPANKED by the sorry Chargers. So I assume that Cowher is a better coach because he beat Belichick when Belichick was in Cleveland? OK! When I compare the 2 coaches the aforementioned game carries about 3 ounces of weight on the factor scale.

Hey just to let you know, that Plan B touched all the NFL teams. You can't use that as a crutch that was specific to only the Steelers.

tony hipchest
09-07-2007, 07:46 PM

I IMPLIED THAT FINDING A VETERAN-JOURNEYMAN QB, such as the Ravens did with Dilfer wouldn't be a difficult thing to do.

i agree. it wasnt a difficult thing to do:

i.e. mike tomczac, kent graham, tommy maddox

That's my point, Cowher knew that his QB was less than average but he never attempted to find an adequate replacement via free agency or by a high draft choice.

kordell was a high draft pick. and kordell was attempted to be replaced after about 2-3 years of starting.

so its kind of missrepresentation to say cowher and the steelers didnt try to find one. their choices may have been the wrong ones, but its not for lack of trying. i give the rooneys WAY more credit than that.

fansince'76
09-07-2007, 08:00 PM

To your Broncos and Dolphins comments. What "GREAT QB" were Cowher's Steelers trying to replace? I believe that the Broncos now have a decent QB. Prior to that I'll give them much credit for trying to replace Elway. Jake wasn't bad. That's my point, Cowher knew that his QB was less than average but he never attempted to find an adequate replacement via free agency or by a high draft choice. At least the Broncos recognized their need for a QB and made efforts to find one. Who cares about the Dolphins? Their problems go well beyond the loss of a QB.

I know all about the 94 Browns/Steelers playoff game. I attended that game and it still ranks as one of my top 3. And the next week Cowher got SPANKED by the sorry Chargers. So I assume that Cowher is a better coach because he beat Belichick when Belichick was in Cleveland? OK! When I compare the 2 coaches the aforementioned game carries about 3 ounces of weight on the factor scale.

Hey just to let you know, that Plan B touched all the NFL teams. You can't use that as a crutch that was specific to only the Steelers.

You think Dilfer was responsible for the Ravens winning that SB? Well, that makes about two people in the world that believes that - you and Dilfer himself.

What great QB were the Steelers trying to replace? Try Bradshaw - for 20+ years. Hence my comment about the Broncos. Plummer was at-best an average QB, just like O'Donnell was, who couldn't get the team over the hump in the one game they didn't jump out to a big lead in (see 2005 AFCCG) and HAD TO PASS to have any chance to win.

Yep, I know that Plan-B affected the whole NFL. Would you have preferred the Steelers played fast-and-loose with the salary cap in the mid-90's like the Niners did, only to go through salary cap purgatory for years afterwards and falling into the realm of the Lions (which they're only now starting to crawl out of), or remained for the most part competitive the whole time? I prefer the latter, personally.

steelpride12
09-07-2007, 09:08 PM
So i was watching a show on the NFL network called who is going to win the superbowl, and obviously the 2 guys said ether the raven or bengals win the division and the steelers not even making the playoffs. They say we have nothing for us and we are just gunna go down hill from now. i like that they say that though i have always loved being the underdog!

Go steelers!! :tt02:

Steel Pit
09-08-2007, 01:13 PM
You think Dilfer was responsible for the Ravens winning that SB? Well, that makes about two people in the world that believes that - you and Dilfer himself.

What great QB were the Steelers trying to replace? Try Bradshaw - for 20+ years. Hence my comment about the Broncos. Plummer was at-best an average QB, just like O'Donnell was, who couldn't get the team over the hump in the one game they didn't jump out to a big lead in (see 2005 AFCCG) and HAD TO PASS to have any chance to win.

Yep, I know that Plan-B affected the whole NFL. Would you have preferred the Steelers played fast-and-loose with the salary cap in the mid-90's like the Niners did, only to go through salary cap purgatory for years afterwards and falling into the realm of the Lions (which they're only now starting to crawl out of), or remained for the most part competitive the whole time? I prefer the latter, personally.

Nah man, I never said that Dilfer "was responsible for the Ravens winning the SB". Let's keep our discussions real, OK? All that I'm saying is that Dilfer was well enough that he didn't PREVENT the Ravens from winning the Super Bowl. Cowher wasn't able to say that about his QB's until Roethlisberger came along.

O'Donnell and Stewart definitely PREVENTED the Steelers from winning a Super Bowl. Can we at least agree on that? A veteran-journeyman QB would have given the Steelers a better chance than either O'Donnell or Stewart. Stewart was never going to win a Super Bowl as a starting QB and the whole freaking world knew it.

A lot of people believe that O'Donnell was responsible for the Super Bowl XXX loss and I agree. What most people fail to mention is the fact that O'Donnell nearly threw the game losing interception to Quentin Coryatt in the AFC Championship game. If Ernie Mills didn't reach around and tap the ball from Coryatt's hands it was GAME OVER so we as Steelers fans should have seen O'Donnell's Super Bowl XXX performance coming.

And let's not suggest that poor Bill Cowher took over a Steelers team that was trying to replace Bradshaw. Come on man, Bradshaw had been gone for 10 years when Cowher took over. Mark Malone, David Woodley, Todd Blacklege and Bubby Brister were attempts at replacing Bradshaw. That era had long passed when Cowher took the job,