PDA

View Full Version : Davis gets nod over Kreider

FrancosArmy09
09-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Arians said that he "earned it" and "out played and out blocked Krieder" as well on ESPN Radio 1250 today. How do you guys feel about this? I've always been a huge Krieder fan and really feel (espicially now) he's been sort of taken for granted in the Tomlin era so far.

(I would post the link to the Post-Gazette story,but my post count isn't high enough yet)

Black@Gold Forever32
09-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Kind of a shocker to me....But you still have to think at those crucial times in games when the Steelers need a critical yard on 3rd and short or that TD in short yardage on the goal line that Kreider will be in there.....I think Davis is starting since he can run the ball and catch better then Kreider....

ShutDown24
09-06-2007, 06:14 PM
WHAT? THEN WHY DID THEY EVEN KEEP KREIDER? If he wasn't going to start, we should have lept Verron over him. Davis starting at fullback is a disgraceful decision in my opinion.

The Duke
09-06-2007, 06:15 PM
What!!! This is unbelievable..

MasterOfPuppets
09-06-2007, 06:17 PM
:banging: if davis has been hands down,the better of the 2, then why carry 2 fullbacks on the roster....:dang:

Kaeg
09-06-2007, 06:19 PM
I gotta say I'm shocked. Not sure what I think though. We'll see soon if they really knew it was the right decision. Not to say I don't like CD; I do. He impressed me in preseason. Just didn't know it was THAT good!

ShutDown24
09-06-2007, 06:32 PM
But the problem is... HE IS STEEL HERE? Why keep an elite fullback around if we are not going to use him???

steelin games
09-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Just remember that starting only means he is in on the first series and doesn't mean that Kreider will not get in the game. I think that the term starter can sometimes be overrated. Let's wait and see who we go to on third and one.

Mosca
09-06-2007, 06:43 PM
I think that we kept Kreider because he's more valuable to the team than

1) Any player that we cut, and

2) Anything we could have received in return for him.

What the heck, he's good. And so is Davis. Either one is probably better than Verron. I really like Verron, but he's been injured in 4 of the last 5 years, and that's life in the NFL. We cut one of these guys and keep Haynes, and then when Haynes goes down both of these guys are already on someone else's roster; then what?

Tom

83-Steelers-43
09-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Steelers will start Davis, not Kreider, at fullback
Thursday, September 06, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Carey Davis, a first-year free agent, has supplanted Dan Kreider as the No. 1 fullback and will start in the season opener against the Cleveland Browns.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians confirmed the move today after the Steelers finished practice at their South Side facility.

It is possible Kreider, the starter for the past five seasons, might be deactivated against the Browns.

"Everything is week to week, but he will be the fullback," Arians said of Davis. "He's doing a nice job for us."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07249/815291-66.stm

83-Steelers-43
09-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Thread already posted. My bad.

ShutDown24
09-06-2007, 06:46 PM
But the thing is, if Davis really is a better fullback than Danny, Verron can run the ball too... Kreider has the ability but not as much... That's what I see wrong here Mosca, we could have two guys that can play both HB and FB (Verron and Davis) instead of one that is versitile and one that isn't so much... I get your point though. Kreider is a beast... But that brings us back to the original problem.. WTF? This comes out of nowhere.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Wow. I'm a shocked to hear this. I thought Davis would see more time in short yardage situaution with Krieder leading the way but if Cary has outplayed Dan then why not give him a shot.

X-Terminator
09-06-2007, 06:57 PM
I have to think this decision was made because of Davis' versatility, because I find it hard to believe that he'd won the job strictly on his blocking ability, because IMO he did NOT block better than Kreider did in the preseason.

I'm not sure I like the decision, but I will give it a chance.

Livinginthe past
09-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Heres a question.

Are they going to take carries and passes away from WP (who I think is Pittsburgh No.1 offensive weapon) and give them to Carey Davis?

Its not like the guy is going to be 'spelling' Willie, he'll be on the field at the same time if he's the designated FB.

I guess what they really are saying is that Carey davis is a better blocker than Kreider - if thats true, either Kreider has lost more than step when everyone was looking the otherway, or............Carey Davis is going to be a hell of an offensive weapon.

jjpro11
09-06-2007, 07:11 PM
i didnt even think kreider's starting job was in jeopardy. wow!

Steelman16
09-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Kinda surprising, I think I would have stuck with the proven veteran FB than Davis...but maybe they can do these things cuz we're playing the Clowns first....I dunno. :)

tony hipchest
09-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Heres a question.

Are they going to take carries and passes away from WP (who I think is Pittsburgh No.1 offensive weapon) and give them to Carey Davis?

Its not like the guy is going to be 'spelling' Willie, he'll be on the field at the same time if he's the designated FB.

I guess what they really are saying is that Carey davis is a better blocker than Kreider - if thats true, either Kreider has lost more than step when everyone was looking the otherway, or............Carey Davis is going to be a hell of an offensive weapon.tomlin addressed this in his press conference. of course willie needs a bit of time to get his legs under him and back in tip top game shape, but if hes up for it he will actually be getting the ball in his hands even more.

willie has worked very hard in the offseason to remain on the field for every down and tomlin said he recognizes it and appreciates it (and is all for it). of course he said gameplanning will have some effect on how many carries willie actually gets on a week to week basis.

kreider hasnt lost a step or any talent, its just that he usually telegraphs the play. defenders know to follow him to the ball more times than not. our playbook became more predictable and a move like this makes it a little less predictable...

i think its the element of suprise being cashed in on here as much as davis's multi-dimensional skills.

Atlanta Dan
09-06-2007, 07:33 PM
If it does not work out then Kreider will replace him - it is not as if Davis needs to start out against the Ravens blitz packages.

I am not putting Kreider on the same level as Rocky Bleier, but in the late 70s Noll seemingly would always start out the season with Sidney Thornton and after a couple games The Rock would be back. Tomlin is putting chips down on potential over experience, but it is not as if he cut Kreider and has bet the house on Davis being the way to go.

Mosca
09-06-2007, 07:42 PM
But the thing is, if Davis really is a better fullback than Danny, Verron can run the ball too... Kreider has the ability but not as much... That's what I see wrong here Mosca, we could have two guys that can play both HB and FB (Verron and Davis) instead of one that is versitile and one that isn't so much... I get your point though. Kreider is a beast... But that brings us back to the original problem.. WTF? This comes out of nowhere.

I don't think it's so much that Davis is better than Kreider; I think it's that he's better than Haynes OR Kreider. So that Kreider/Davis > Davis/Haynes (or) Kreider/Haynes. Keeping Kreider instead of Haynes was the decision, not Davis instead of Kreider or Haynes. Davis made the team either way.

Tom

steelpride12
09-06-2007, 07:48 PM
O my god i am in shocked are you serious. Wow he better be so unbelievably good and prove himself, but i doubt he will keep his job no way ughh!

Welcome To Smashmouth
09-06-2007, 10:36 PM
At the moment, I feel extremely uneasy, as 1) Kreider has been a great fullback for us, and even given national credit as one of the better fullbacks in the league, and
2) Carey Davis has been great at RB during the PRESEASON, but we still dont know what hes capable of on a day-to day basis
3) Willie Parker made it public that he'd rather run behind Kreider

At this point I'll have to put my faith in the performance of whoever is in the game, but with A. Smith, McFadden, AND Kreider all getting the shaft, I will admit I'm more than pissed atm....

delhess
09-06-2007, 10:38 PM
i am shock and dissapointed. shock like everyone else, and dissapointed to hear they think davis can block better than kreider !!??? roll that film again. well, what ever their reasons, i don't think this is gonna last. i could be wrong, but we will see.

comyns
09-06-2007, 10:39 PM
How much Kreider and Davis play may vary depending on whether the other team's linebackers are more vulnerable to the run or the pass.

FrancosArmy09
09-06-2007, 11:21 PM
I'm not saying Arians won't do a good job, but these are just the type of moves that have me nervous about this season, offensively. He's basically benched an all-pro for an undrafted free agent without a single regular season game played. If Krieder were hurt,that's one thing...but can you really picture davis doing a better job blocking out of the I formation? (then again, Arians may have gotten rid of that as well...another thing that worries me.)

jjpro11
09-07-2007, 12:05 AM
i just hope dan dresses for sunday.. if davis gets blown up early in the game, i will feel a lot better knowing we can always put kreider in there incase davis might not be ready.

Preacher
09-07-2007, 12:18 AM
Heres a question.

I guess what they really are saying is that Carey davis is a better blocker than Kreider - if thats true, either Kreider has lost more than step when everyone was looking the otherway, or............Carey Davis is going to be a hell of an offensive weapon.

LITP..

I don't think so. I think it is a move to a H back situation... like the Steelers used to have, with Rocky and Franco. its not that he will be a great offensive weapon, just that he will be enough to cause more diversion and question for defenses...

Livinginthe past
09-07-2007, 03:17 AM
tomlin addressed this in his press conference. of course willie needs a bit of time to get his legs under him and back in tip top game shape, but if hes up for it he will actually be getting the ball in his hands even more.

willie has worked very hard in the offseason to remain on the field for every down and tomlin said he recognizes it and appreciates it (and is all for it). of course he said gameplanning will have some effect on how many carries willie actually gets on a week to week basis.

kreider hasnt lost a step or any talent, its just that he usually telegraphs the play. defenders know to follow him to the ball more times than not. our playbook became more predictable and a move like this makes it a little less predictable...

i think its the element of suprise being cashed in on here as much as davis's multi-dimensional skills.

Well, that makes sense - you have to give your best weapon as many looks and touches as possible.

Is it fair to say that all FB's telegraph the play?

Unless its a play action pass, you have to think that the run is always going to follow the FB's lead block.

We'll see how this plays out, I guess they want their FB's to do more than just block in Pittsbrugh these days.

Livinginthe past
09-07-2007, 03:19 AM
LITP..

I don't think so. I think it is a move to a H back situation... like the Steelers used to have, with Rocky and Franco. its not that he will be a great offensive weapon, just that he will be enough to cause more diversion and question for defenses...

I reckon you could be right.

I commented a couple of weeks ago how the Patriots use Heath Evans as a multidimensional FB (little bit of run, pass and block) - who didnt match up to Kreider in terms of pure blocking skill but who keeps offenses guessing.

Im looking forward to hearing how it all works out against the Browns...not that it will be the definitive test or anything.

steelers forever 8
09-07-2007, 03:26 AM
did tomlin said krieder might not be activated this week?

steelers forever 8
09-07-2007, 03:34 AM
i guess we can kiss goodbye smashmouth football goodbye!!!

Galax Steeler
09-07-2007, 05:02 AM
I am shocked also but with davis back there with parker they could give the ball to either one.I am curious to see how this plays out.

Counselor
09-07-2007, 09:37 AM
OK, did any one hear Myron Cope go off on a rant today on the DVE morning show about this? It was one of the funniest/most uncomfortable things I've ever heard on radio. Myron kept going on and on about how Arians "has embarassed Krieder", and asking "what is Arians doing to this offense."
Jim and Randy just kinda listened in shock, then tried to get him onto another topic. I was dying!

Kvnfaber
09-07-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm not saying Arians won't do a good job, but these are just the type of moves that have me nervous about this season, offensively. He's basically benched an all-pro for an undrafted free agent without a single regular season game played. If Krieder were hurt,that's one thing...but can you really picture davis doing a better job blocking out of the I formation? (then again, Arians may have gotten rid of that as well...another thing that worries me.)

I share the same sentiment. I don't like the fact that Dan Krieder is getting a raw deal here. In many ways he is a symbol of Pittsburgh in his no nonsense attitude and work ethic. He is also a symbol of our hard-nosed, physical approach at beating teams down. I hope this and other stories about the Steelers becoming mesmerized by the passing game doesn't turn out like when Tommy gun was throwing the ball all over the field and totally lost sight of what the Steelers are all about.

BritishSteel
09-07-2007, 10:15 AM
tomlin addressed this in his press conference. of course willie needs a bit of time to get his legs under him and back in tip top game shape, but if hes up for it he will actually be getting the ball in his hands even more.

I think thats exactly right - I don't think it's about Dan the Beast or Verron Hayes or Davis as players so much as shaking up and freshening the Offensive playbook. I don't think there's much doubt that Davis is a more versatile FB than Dan, and I think Arians wants to give Ben a fuller suite of options, so having another, less predictable (in terms of the other team having to plan for it) player in the backfield kinda underlines that philosophy.

With the first 3rd and 1 in the season, I wouldn't mind betting that Kreider comes out. If I was to have a concern, it would be about the impact on the O-Line. Dan is a beast of a blocker - one of the best blocking FB in the league - Is Davis as good? If not, it might make life a bit more uncomfortable for Ben against Blitz-happy defences.

rog
09-07-2007, 10:38 AM
It pains me to say this because i love watching Krieder play, but I'm not hating this move just yet remember Dan isn't going to be here next year because the team won't pay him so why not see what life without him is like now before we have no choice. I like the idea of giving Davis a chane out there if anything he should provide a good check down option for Ben. And remember the didn't cut Dan so he will be there if we need him.

Crushzilla
09-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Ya. I'm not stressing too much about this.

We've heard Arians say all offseason that he's looking for a more lucrative offense through the pass game.

This is probably going to somewhat mimic the Pony offensive package that the Saints like to run with both Duece and Bush on the field. A little thunder and lightning option.

I find it hard to believe that on short yardage I formation we aren't going to see Kreider, but this definitely opens up the passing game a little bit.

Davis and Willie will probably get a lot of looks in the flats since our WRs have proved that they can block pretty well down field.

I'll make my judgments after I see how a spread offense works in Pittsburgh. Surely its a change from what we are used to, but its a changing league.

klick81
09-07-2007, 10:55 AM
We'll have to see, but I don't like the decision so far.

shutdown
09-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Our oline is suspect, no doubt about it. Mahan hasnt proven himself, Colon is a first timer, Faneca is a bitch, and Smith is shakey.

We need our run game to be effective and the only one who knows how to block back there is Kreider. He sprung Willie for the TD against Philly and sprung Davis for the huge yardage against the Saints.

They're trying to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much like the Colts but its not going to happen. This will be a big mistake and if they keep him in for too long our running game wont even make a dent.

GeneralRobinson
09-07-2007, 11:28 AM
I'm willing to give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt. I assume that they have observed enough of each player's effectiveness in training to make their decision.

Dan Kreider has talent and is a good full-back, but he is not an All-Pro or Pro Bowl fullback, evidenced by the fact that he has been named to neither team. Also, despite his quality, Pittsburgh was ineffective running the ball on the road last year, so his performance could not have been overwhelmingly good enough in the face of such struggles. One would think it makes sense that we need to try a different strategy this year, and, apparently, Carey Davis has proven to the coaches that he is the better option.

Preacher
09-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Our oline is suspect, no doubt about it. Mahan hasnt proven himself, Colon is a first timer, Faneca is a bitch, and Smith is shakey.

We need our run game to be effective and the only one who knows how to block back there is Kreider. He sprung Willie for the TD against Philly and sprung Davis for the huge yardage against the Saints.

They're trying to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much like the Colts but its not going to happen. This will be a big mistake and if they keep him in for too long our running game wont even make a dent.

Don't you think the coaches saw enough in practice and games to know what they want and need?

I think it is a bit of an overreaction to claim that this is a big mistake. Matter of fact, I welcome the change.

jjpro11
09-07-2007, 01:43 PM
im nervous.

Preacher
09-07-2007, 01:52 PM
im nervous.

:sofunny:

Why is that. Think about it this way. First six games, easier part of the schedule. So when we get to the latter part, we have a FRESH Kreider to go out and start hitting people!!

Or, Kreider goes out in the second half, when we start running the ball more to shut down a game, if we continue to do that.

oljoe28
09-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Does anyone thinks this kid, Carey Davis is ready for this role? Dan is one of the best blocking full backs in the league, has he done anything to lose his job? I mean, I am a big fan of max protection, especially with our young receivers, but losing Dan is a big blow to Parker. any thoughts

Blitzburgh:banging:

ShutDown24
09-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Dan Kreider is one of my favorite football players of all time. Even with that biased aside I cannot see how he lost the starting job unless the team is seriously considering running the FB a lot. It just doesn't make sense.

jjpro11
09-07-2007, 02:30 PM
:sofunny:

Why is that. Think about it this way. First six games, easier part of the schedule. So when we get to the latter part, we have a FRESH Kreider to go out and start hitting people!!

Or, Kreider goes out in the second half, when we start running the ball more to shut down a game, if we continue to do that.

this is a very important game for us cleveland steelers fans, especially those of us who are going. i wish this wasnt the first week that we are testing out these new offensive schemes.

SteelerFanInCA
09-07-2007, 03:52 PM
I see this move as no big deal. Davis could start the game then easliy be replaced by Kreider on the very next series.

At this point I am just going to sit back and trust Tomlin's judgement. If it doesn't work out with Davis then we always have a good backup in Kreider.

Preacher
09-07-2007, 03:59 PM
I see this move as no big deal. Davis could start the game then easliy be replaced by Kreider on the very next series.

At this point I am just going to sit back and trush Tomlin's judgement. If it doesn't work out with Davis then we always have a good backup in Kreider.

Exactly. Heck, I wouldn't mind resigning Starks for the same reason. Sure, I don't like him as a starter, but tell me, how many backups in the league are as good as Starks?

Crushzilla
09-07-2007, 04:53 PM

At this point I am just going to sit back and trust Tomlin's judgement. If it doesn't work out with Davis then we always have a good backup in Kreider.

Thank you. I feel like people are forgetting this. Just because Kreider isn't starting doesn't mean he isn't going to be playing.

This is a wait and see. They didn't cut Kreider. They just decided that he isn't going to play the first series. :hunch: We'll be ok.

oljoe28
09-07-2007, 06:06 PM
It's funny that you mentioned, "Tomlin's era." It seems as though, he wants young players now to rebuild for the future. I personally don't believe that we have to make that adjustment now. We inked Simmons to a 4yr deal and then there is the best OL in national football, Faneca. For goodness sake, take care of the man and sign him nicely. He let go of the only kicker in football history to never have a punt block and didn't give Joey Porter a chance to say, no...I understand that Tomlin is young and wants a team to grow with him, but he hasn't proven anything on offense yet. However, I believe that our defense will be superb this season, partly because of him.

Steelers 24:helmet:
Browns 6

revefsreleets
09-07-2007, 06:29 PM
I'm surprised to see this much outrage over this minor move. After all, it's one game, and Davis obviously has done something that impressed the coaches enough to warrant the decision. Kreider is still on the team, and, who knows? Maybe he comes in, takes over and plays for 15 1/2 regular season games?

I always defer to the coaches and hate to second guess them on these kinds of things.

MJ5150
09-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Add this move to the list of things I am not happy with. Right up there with bringing in Ken Anderson as QB coach.

Dan Kreider is more than just the FB on this team, just like Faneca is more than another LG. I just don't like this move.

-Mike

TommyG
09-07-2007, 11:50 PM
I will be interesting to give Davis a shot at producing some offense...Kreider is a great blocker but I am not sold on his ability to produce big plays and take screens and dump offs for more than a couple yards....You can always bring him back in.

Galax Steeler
09-08-2007, 05:29 AM
I will be interesting to give Davis a shot at producing some offense...Kreider is a great blocker but I am not sold on his ability to produce big plays and take screens and dump offs for more than a couple yards....You can always bring him back in.

I agree you also get the speed out of davis for screens and dumpoffs where kreider don't have.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-08-2007, 06:41 AM
We have traditionally lived and died by the run. I have to be a little concerned that perhaps Davis got the nod over Kreider due to his "pass catching" ability..and that ...maybe...we by sitting Kreider are going to lose something from the run game.
I am hoping the decision to go with Davis is predicated on something more than who had the better hands. Noone in the league blocks better than Kreider and I would hate to "rob Peter to pay Paul" in order to open up our passing game.

Preacher
09-08-2007, 04:51 PM
We have traditionally lived and died by the run. I have to be a little concerned that perhaps Davis got the nod over Kreider due to his "pass catching" ability..and that ...maybe...we by sitting Kreider are going to lose something from the run game.
I am hoping the decision to go with Davis is predicated on something more than who had the better hands. Noone in the league blocks better than Kreider and I would hate to "rob Peter to pay Paul" in order to open up our passing game.

My suspicion is that you will still see Krieder for 15 or 20 plays a game.

Galvanized Steel
09-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Relax, kids.

Kreider will get the chance to knock the snot out of many a linebacker before the season's through...and probably in this game as well. Davis may be more versatile, but Kreider's more experienced and the better pure run blocker...and the coaches are not blind.

It seems that Tomlin's aim is to keep the team a bit edgy re: personnel moves and playing time, making sure that none of Cowher's boys take things for granted or challenge the Alpha Dog. So long, Joey. Take a seat, Max. Hey Chukki, there's no such thing as entitlement in the NFL. Are you listening, Alan?

Parcells had success with the Alpha Dog thing, then worked this angle to a dysfunctional degree. I think Tomlin is smarter than that, and is (very carefully) picking his spots.

If I'm Tomlin and I want to drive home the "take nothing for granted" mentality in week one, I start Davis at fullback and keep him in for a series or three. Gets everyone's attention...if you show skills and work hard, you get opportunity. And fullback is the best (safest) place to pick for this in the Steelers offense. And...when Kreider does get in, and he will, some poor Clevelander is going to pay big time.

So, this isn't about Kreider vs. Davis, and Dan shouldn't take it personally. This is about every player knowing that Tomlin will continue to be looking at their skills and performance, not just history and reputation. Tomlin has to put his money where his mouth is at some position to make sure that the start of the season doesn't signal "same old, same, old" to anyone...everybody's got to stay on the gas pedal. Again, if Tomlin wants to drive that point home, fullback's the best and safest choice.

ews423
09-08-2007, 10:45 PM
The reports make it sound as though Kreider will not even dress games he is not starting. Look for him to be on the sidelines in street clothes tomorrow.

billybob
09-08-2007, 10:57 PM
i feel like dan has been a behind the scenes guy,solid to say the least.i'm not sure how i feel about that move,but.then again there is no tomlin era yet.i say let it play out,and dan is not cut yet.i don't think he will be,because it has not been shown yet where this offense is going.speculation thus far.i think the PORT is going to have a favorable game.take the eyes off of willie,and then................................oooooooo boy,watch out.

billybob
09-08-2007, 11:18 PM
It's funny that you mentioned, "Tomlin's era." It seems as though, he wants young players now to rebuild for the future. I personally don't believe that we have to make that adjustment now. We inked Simmons to a 4yr deal and then there is the best OL in national football, Faneca. For goodness sake, take care of the man and sign him nicely. He let go of the only kicker in football history to never have a punt block and didn't give Joey Porter a chance to say, no...I understand that Tomlin is young and wants a team to grow with him, but he hasn't proven anything on offense yet. However, I believe that our defense will be superb this season, partly because of him.

Steelers 24:helmet:
Browns 6

we already been down that road sir,why have a punter like that?who really cares if you never had a blocked punt in 9,000 tries if you can only punt it 30 yds,when you need 50.obviously the steelers,who are known for a strong offensive line,have someone in mind for fanecas replacement.do you think the front office will let him go,unless they had someone in mind.they watch football to you know.please stop critizing the new coach until he does create an era.
each coach that has come to us had thier own way of doing things,and coach tomlin is no different. just let him run the team like he sees fit,i personally like how is not tipping his hand.

SteelersJW
09-09-2007, 11:36 AM
You know, it's a great thing that we held onto Kreider. He's got a lot more experience than Davis obviously, and he's and offensive leader. The second we would've cut him Whisenhunt and Arizona would have picked him up just like they did with Sean Morey. Thank you for keeping Kreider!!:helmet:

Elvis
09-09-2007, 11:55 AM
I dont see Davis lasting as our starter all season at all. Kreider is the man that Parker needs and I think that when its all said and done that when Davis is in there that that means it could be a pass instead of smash mouth football. My vote is still devoted to Kreider.
:tt02: