PDA

View Full Version : Cheap shots...

Suitanim
09-27-2005, 09:13 AM
Another thread got me thinking about this...

A couple weeks ago, Byron Leftwich was fined for flipping off Colts Defensive Line coach John Teerlinck. Not much was disclosed about it, but Boomer Esiason went off on Teerlinck later that week, claiming that Teerlinck taught his players to roll up on QB's legs, with the clear intent of injuring the QB and knocking him out of the game.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050923/SPORTS03/509230547

What I find interesting is that A) He has been accused of this before...several times it appears and, B) Sunday while I was waiting for the Steelers game, I was watching the Browns game, and I saw an Indy DL purposely roll up on the back of Trent Dilfer's knee...well after the play was over. Dilfer was mad, and told the ref in no uncertain terms that AT LEAST a flag should have been thrown. Now I'm no Browns fan, but it seems to me that Dilfer at least should have received a flag, but, more importantly, why is the NFL/It's Officials letting a team get away with this practice?

bengalsfan21
09-27-2005, 11:21 AM
I don't understand it either,Denver is another team that goes for the knees.....I think coaches should be fined or fired if there players do this more then once..........If it happens once it could be a mistake but more then once something needs to be done.

SteelR1
09-27-2005, 12:01 PM
Thats just stupid, play a fair game. Sure, hit him hard but him legally!!

Prosdo
09-27-2005, 02:58 PM
I don't understand it either,Denver is another team that goes for the knees.....I think coaches should be fined or fired if there players do this more then once..........If it happens once it could be a mistake but more then once something needs to be done.

I agree. There is no need for them to play dirty like that. I think if it happens more than once with a player he should atleast be fined. Any coach telling them to do this should be atleast fined.

clevestinks
09-27-2005, 04:23 PM
These guys are to big and to strong to take cheap shots. A clean hit would be painful enough. Play Clean

BlitzburghRockCity
09-27-2005, 05:43 PM
Denver has been on the edge of questionable tactics by the their OL ever since shananhan started.

I.C. Lights
09-27-2005, 06:01 PM
When you consider how knee injuries frequently plague ex-player for the rest of their lives (Namath, for one, is a good example of a quarterback in this situation), it seems worthwhile to take the effort to differentiate between dirty and clean hits. Officials should know better.

Suitanim
09-27-2005, 06:20 PM
I wish I could find a clip or something...It hadn't even occured to me until I saw the DL move towards the back of Dilfer's knee.

Why does this concern me so much? We play the Colts, in Indy, November 28th. I want this shit stopped before we play them...and I certainly don't want them doing this to us and it being the "final straw" when they actually finally penalize the Colts AFTER they play us and take our QB out...