PDA

View Full Version : Cope's Rant

Counselor
09-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Did anyone hear Myron Cope on the DVE morning show this morning? He went on a huge rant about Bruce Arians and "what he is doing to the team."

He started by saying that Arians had "humiliated" Krieder, because Arains let it be leaked that Krieder might get cut, then (after he makes the team) he's not starting him.

Then Cope went on to say how the three tight end set won't work---and all this new-fangled (my word not his) passing won't work. Then he said if it does work its only because Ben Roethlisberger is the QB. He also said Ben has the most "natural" talent of any QB in the league.

Cope mainly kept the blame to Arians, but a couple of times he threw in the: "and what's Tomlin doing letting Arians make all these changes."

I listened for about 10 minutes then had to go into work. Anyone hear the rest of it?

Jim and Randy just kinda sat in stunned silence, then tried to change the topic.

It was actually quite funny in that uncomfortable---I can't believe he's saying that---kind of way.

rog
09-07-2007, 10:23 AM
I'm giving Arians the benefit of the doubt here because he had the browns offense playing well enough to get to the playoffs a few years back I don't want to say he is a miricle worker or anything like that but that is impresive...lol

Atlanta Dan
09-07-2007, 10:26 AM
:sofunny:

Wish I could have heard it

Myron is to the stage of life where you do not care what someone thinks

If Myron thinks Ben is the best natural talent in the league then arguably he should be doing more than 2 handoffs and a chuck & duck on 3rd down.

I do not want a repeat of 2003, but the Cowher I-formation grind it out strategy will not get this team deep into the playoffs with the current personnel.

Edman
09-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Someone says: "We should throw the ball more and become more balanced."

What Conservative Steeler fans hear: "We're going to be Air Coryell II"

C..Steeler fans: We don't want no sissy O! Smashmouth all the way! Fire Tomlin! Fire Arians! Cut Willie Parker! He's too small!

shutdown
09-07-2007, 11:22 AM
What the heck does Arians have against Kreider? There is obviously something going on there.

Arians better change his attitude soon because if all these circus changes prove to be devistating he is going to hear about it, ALOT.

Counselor
09-07-2007, 11:32 AM
:sofunny:

Wish I could have heard it

Myron is to the stage of life where you do not care what someone thinks

If Myron thinks Ben is the best natural talent in the league then arguably he should be doing more than 2 handoffs and a chuck & duck on 3rd down.

I do not want a repeat of 2003, but the Cowher I-formation grind it out strategy will not get this team deep into the playoffs with the current personnel.

Myron's never had much in the way of an "internal sensor" and it just decreases more with age. He went way overboard this morning though. I see no reason to say that Krieder was "humilated" ---certainly no more than Okobi or Haynes or Alan Faneca (best guard in the league who is not getting resigned.)

Reading between the lines, I would say Myron might have a problem with the new coaching staff.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Wow.

I don't have a problem with Arians balanced offense philosophy. It'll keep them from putting 8-9 in the box on 1st and 2nd down to stop the run, and then drop everyone into coverage on 3rd down to take away the pass on 3rd and long.

Also, Arians has said that he isn't going pass crazy and the spread/3 TE offense will create more holes for Parker. Willie Parker is a speed back with a little bit of power (at times). You try to get him to the edge, to open space. Running him up the gut 25-30 times a game won't do anything.

I am willing to give this new offense a try. If it doesn't work, they try something else. If it works, we're all the more dangerous because of it.

GeneralRobinson
09-07-2007, 11:49 AM
Then he said if it does work its only because Ben Roethlisberger is the QB. He also said Ben has the most "natural" talent of any QB in the league.

Hmmmmm. So if a team has the most natually talented quarterback in the NFL, wouldn't it make sense to design an offense with more passing?

rbryan
09-07-2007, 12:01 PM
I wouldn't put too much thought into anything he has to say. He never was much of an X's and O's guy to begin with, let alone now. Its just sad to even listen to him. Shame on WDVE for even putting him on the air. Cope retired for a reason.

Counselor
09-07-2007, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't put too much thought into anything he has to say. He never was much of an X's and O's guy to begin with, let alone now. Its just sad to even listen to him. Shame on WDVE for even putting him on the air. Cope retired for a reason.

He was on the air to promote a new interactive game---called "tripple yoi" or something. I wouldn't blame DVE for putting him on the air.

BlastFurnace
09-07-2007, 01:08 PM
I think we have needed some fresh new ideas on offense. Arians ran an offense that lit up our defense in the 2002 playoff game. If we didn't have a capable QB to run t his type of offense, I would question it, but I think we have had weapons on offense that we have not completely utilized yet...such as Heath Miller.

For once, I believe that we are going to honestly utilize the Tight End.

I'm not sure about Carey yet and quite honestly, I haven't been impressed with him beyond his special teams play. One thing that Tomlin has stated is that players will lose their job if they are not performing. I don't see Carey continuing his FB duties if Parker continually gets stuffed due to missed lead blocks by the FB.

rbryan
09-07-2007, 01:16 PM
I agree with the fresh ideas. Nothing wrong with using the passing game to open up the run game. Look at Indy last night, they are not a pass only team any more. Its about balance and being less predictable, something this offense hasn't been in a long time.

Preacher
09-07-2007, 01:33 PM
A couple things I think we should recognize...

Kreider is getting older, and older people lose a step. Now, he is having to block for one of the fastest backs in the league.

So great, Kreider can block a person that slips through the line. However, don't we want someone blocking for Willie a couples step on the other side of the line as well?

jjpro11
09-07-2007, 01:37 PM
i'll withhold judgment on the offense until i see a few games. everything right now is just pure speculation.

delhess
09-07-2007, 01:47 PM
yeah, its all speculation. if #39 can't seem to find a hole, kreider will go back in. mark my words. we will have to wait and see. i'm very dissapointed though. kreider is a friend of mine, and it will be sad to see him go, but the writing is on the wall. go dan, go steelers!

Preacher
09-07-2007, 01:48 PM
i'll withhold judgment on the offense until i see a few games. everything right now is just pure speculation.

yep.

Only one thing is not speculation.... All player get old, eventually all players have to be replaced.

SteelerFanInCA
09-07-2007, 04:00 PM
I guess the old dogs never like change. Myron's a little far fetched on this one. :dang:

Preacher
09-07-2007, 04:03 PM
I guess the old dogs never like change. Myron's a little far fetched on this one. :dang:

Too true.

However, there is always a respect they have earned, that regardless of what they say, we smile and say thank you.

Then we can run to the BB's and shake our head. Oh well, what can you expect. Change is hard on everyone. There are 20 somethings on this board that expect us to be a run first, run always team.

SteelerFanInCA
09-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Too true.

However, there is always a respect they have earned, that regardless of what they say, we smile and say thank you.

Then we can run to the BB's and shake our head. Oh well, what can you expect. Change is hard on everyone. There are 20 somethings on this board that expect us to be a run first, run always team.

I hear you loud and clear Preach. Sometimes change is a good thing.

manheimcentralmagic
09-07-2007, 04:21 PM
I am basing this purely on a few pre-season games but it seemed to me, parker ran best with Kreider in the backfield with him. I went to school with Dan's brother so I have a little personal interest here, but part of me thinks Dan got shafted. If your not going to use him let him see if he can land somewhere else! It seems there have been a lot of odd moves in the "tomlin" era. Then again I am biased so I guess I am going to wait and see.

Preacher
09-07-2007, 04:44 PM
I am basing this purely on a few pre-season games but it seemed to me, parker ran best with Kreider in the backfield with him. I went to school with Dan's brother so I have a little personal interest here, but part of me thinks Dan got shafted. If your not going to use him let him see if he can land somewhere else! It seems there have been a lot of odd moves in the "tomlin" era. Then again I am biased so I guess I am going to wait and see.

I doubt that he got "Shafted"

Why is it not the other way around? Why isn't it us treating him the same way we treated Bettis the last few years of his career? Thanks for the years, thanks for the memories, you still have some left in the tank, so instead of you relocating, stay around and teach the young guys how to do it. We will also let you come in and close out games.... (only as a fullback, instead of Bettis and a halfback)?

yinzer-inseattle
09-07-2007, 05:13 PM

Where would Dan go? Most other teams want more than just a blocking FB, and not that Dan can't do those things there's just not much evidence (film) of him doing it. 95% of the time the Steelers have used him one way, as a human battering ram. If you look around the league, there are few to no other teams that take to the running game the same way, and now with Arians in charge of the offense we are moving away from that too. I agree that he's in a similar situation as Bettis, he's got some left in the tank and he's a great guy to have as an on/off field leader. He just may not be the best option as a starter.

revefsreleets
09-07-2007, 06:44 PM
As for Cope, I feel almost kind of the same way about him as I feel about my grandfather who is in his 80's. I love him and respect him for who he is, but I can no longer listen to him as a voice of reason because he's kind of losing it. So I'll never disagree or disrespect him, but I will keep his statements in proper perspective.

Lambertfan
09-07-2007, 06:49 PM
I think Myron has a point,if they are going to ease Davis into the role I would understand but to yank Krider right out from under Parker is puzzling. You can spell Krider with Davis and see what happens...Change scares people and we have had a lot of change...What if Davis falls on his face? I imagine Krider will be inactive so it will be a leap of faith..My head is spinning from all this stuff..2 days to go...I will give the benefit to Tomlin...like he needs that..just my 2 cents...:tt02::tt02::tt02::cheers::cheers::cheers: :tt02::tt02::tt02:

delhess
09-07-2007, 07:29 PM
this is for one game right?? i think it may change week to week. when we play baltimore, i'll be surprised if we don't see kreider.