PDA

View Full Version : how important is a win???

delhess
09-07-2007, 07:43 PM
well, i've been thinking about this opening week matchup. almost everyone thinks the steelers should be able to handily beat the browns, me included. is there a chance that this game is far more important than we think at first glance.

we have a new coach, a "easy" opening schedule, a new offense, new offensive coordinator, new running backs coach, just to name a few. we have been told by tomlin that things are going to be different. ben will have more control, the offense is going to spread the ball around a little more. we all believe that we will be better than last year.

of course we all want to win, however, do we think about what the consequences could be if we lose??

what if we lose this one?? the fans will question tomlin, that is for sure. will the players question tomlin?? we have all been sipping the "tomlin coolaid" (i have been as much as anybody!) but will it suddenly taste bitter, and we spit it out??

and what about that "easy schedule". wouldn't it suddenly look much more formidable, like a hurdle. would 8-8 look like a reality, if not a gift.

that terrible, unthinkable, unfathomable, god forsaken, thing : to lose to the cleveland browns, would it break our hearts and be a sign of bad things to come??

on the other hand the browns would relish in a win over the dictator of the division, the "drunken sailer" who comes home and beats them like an unwanted stepchild year after year, and doesn't think a thing about it?

all i know is, you better win this one steelers, for your coach and for yourself!

ShutDown24
09-07-2007, 07:53 PM
I think in general a win is very important. With only 16 games one win makes or breaks you, we saw that last season. Spefically this weekend I think it's important to win because losing to such a horrible team would shatter morale...

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-07-2007, 08:24 PM
I always think the first game is one of the most important it helps to get the momentum started.

fansince'76
09-07-2007, 08:32 PM
As ShutDown24 pointed out, every game is important in a sport with only a 16-game regular season. However, as this is a divisional game, and the AFC is going to be extremely competitive again, it is even more important than, say, a game against a NFC opponent.

83-Steelers-43
09-07-2007, 08:37 PM
It's not important at all. We should lose 583-0 just for the hell of it. Make it a point Tomlin...get on it.

Atlanta Dan
09-07-2007, 09:08 PM
To win the division you have to hold serve at home and win at least one road game. Which do you see as the more likely road win - Cleveland, Cincinnati, or Baltimore?

A win in the first game with a new coach where not everyone on the team or among the Steeler faithful (Myron:sofunny:) seems to be completely on board is important. A road win against the weakest team in the division is crucial to any prospect of winning the AFC North.

FWIW Chris Mortenson (who lives in ATL) was on Atlanta sports talk on this evening's drive time and picked the Browns as his upset special of the week - Mort thinks Winslow and Jamaal Lewis will come up big on Sunday.

tony hipchest
09-07-2007, 09:16 PM
plus the steelers dont wanna disappoint the 30,000 steelerfans at Snausages Field on sunday.

steelpride12
09-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Its a big deal to get this win and give us a big momentum into the rest of the season. A loss could really hurt our self asteem def. to a team like the browns, but going out and burning them and making a statement is what we need.

Preacher
09-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Not only is a win important, but I think in this case, the margin of win is important.

There are only two scenarios that we come from this game, feeling good about ourselves.

1. We have a bad first half, and fall behind. The second half, we hit our stride, and come from behind to tattoo the Browns with about 21 points to win by a touchdown or two, more the likely two. The scenario works because everyone will pronounce that it was a first game under a new system with a new coach, and it took a half to get things going.

2. We go up by 21 early, and stay up by that much, either by shutting down the game, or by putting up more points (however, the browns scoring 2 touchdowns in real time, not junk time, will be seeing as a harbinger of bad days ahead) then the Browns.

Anything else will be interpreted as a bad game. If we are up by 10, then by 7, then by 14, then by 11, then by 8, etc... it will NOT be considered a good game... and you will hear a whisper here and a whisper there.

ChronoCross
09-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Its a division game.. Its always a must win.. And if you look at stats we have won are last 4 season open games. We have demolished the browns in the last 6 meetings of putting up at least 24 points and putting up as much as 41. I would vote on us to win this hands down. And plus I do not see a improved browns team. Only way we loose this is if we beat our selfs.

TommyG
09-07-2007, 11:27 PM
I think a win is important....everyone is looking past the Steelers in the Division and a convincing win would shut up some of the critics....It will be interesting if we somehow we lose (Only way if Ben, Willie, and Hines get locked in their hotel rooms all day) to see how the media would jump on board and write our season off. That would make it even more satisfying to make the playoffs and prove them wrong.

Galax Steeler
09-08-2007, 04:59 AM
I say just beat the crap out of them and not worry about it.

delhess
09-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Anything else will be interpreted as a bad game. If we are up by 10, then by 7, then by 14, then by 11, then by 8, etc... it will NOT be considered a good game... and you will hear a whisper here and a whisper there.

you are right preacher. i think we cannot turn the ball over either. the wispers would start. special teams must perform.

our division is very competitive this year, if we want to make a run, we must win as many division games as possible. we need the momentum. we can't coast through the first four and expect to be competitive.

many people think that baltimore may be better this year, so we cannot afford a division loss for our record, as well as for the reasons i stated above.

stlrtruck
09-08-2007, 11:30 AM
A win is HUGE for three reasons only -

1) If we lose everyone will jump on the "I told you so" bandwagon about losing Cowher and Porter.
2) If we lose to the clowns on opening day we'll here the you're team can't even beat cleveland and doesn't deserve to be in the NFL
3) This team needs to prove that they can handle the changes and build confidence moving forward - game 1 is always the right place for that

zoneblitz43
09-08-2007, 11:51 AM
A win is very important. This game is one of the most important games of the season. A win will get some momentum going, a loss can hurt the team's morale. The best way to win is offense-don't turn the ball over. Defense-pressure, pressure, and more pressure. I expect to see a lot of blitzing. Another reason why a win is important is that I live in OH despite Cleveland being over 2 hours away the Browns are considered the "local" team. I really do not want the many Browns fans in my town getting the satisfaction of winning this game.

UK CANDY BEE
09-08-2007, 11:53 AM
:rolleyes:

There seems to be no limit to the arrogance of Pissburgh Stoolers fans !!

But to chime in on the question at hand.........

.......you do need to win tomorrow, because your bunch is not as good you seem to think.....

....and the Browns are nowhere near as bad (anymore) as you obviously think !!

I foresee a terrible disturbance in The Farce.... the sound of thousands of terrible towel waving Pissburgh fans cryinng out in pain and shock and being silenced !!!!

fansince'76
09-08-2007, 11:55 AM
.......you do need to win tomorrow, because your bunch is not as good you seem to think.....

Neither is yours....

yinzer-inseattle
09-08-2007, 12:36 PM

I foresee a terrible disturbance in The Farce.... the sound of thousands of terrible towel waving Pissburgh fans cryinng out in pain and shock and being silenced !!!!

I think this is more of a match up of the coaching staffs and their ability to prepare their teams for a high pressure first week game. Crennel and crew are clueless (proof coming after this season when they are summarily dispatched). They will not be ready for the Steelers. Mark my word, this is where Mike Tomlin, Dick LeBeau and Co will show why they are the class of the AFCN coaching staff.

It's amazing how we can talk about parity in the NFL with the salary cap and draft favoritism to losers and in the same breath speak of a talent disparity driving the domination of one team on another. Simple fact is that the Browns organization (like the Bengals) is a joke. You will lose because your organization knows nothing else. Say what you want about Darth Modell moving to Baltimore; at least he knew how to run a football team!

The Steelers will win because they want to and because they are prepared to do so.

revefsreleets
09-08-2007, 05:15 PM
It's a must win. The Browns are improved, but still at best a middle of the pack, at worst the bottom of the NFL barrel. In the NFL, there are games that you just don't lose if you want to compete for championships, and the Browns is one of those, and Tomlin's first game makes it doubly important.

UK CANDY BEE
09-08-2007, 05:33 PM
speak of a talent disparity

Oh yeah...........right....... :rolleyes: .. there is a huge talent dis..............:toofunny:.........I can't even hit the keys to repeat it.............it's just that stupid !!!

Mike Tomlin hasn't even coached his first regular season game n the NFL, and you folks are already acting as if he has taken your Piss & Black clad bunch to new heights compared to where The Chin (Bill who ?, as I suppose he is now known in Pissburgh) had them.

According to everything I have heard, which is most likely not as much as you folks have, Tomlin is a fine coach who should do a good job.

But it is a little early to nominate him for sainthood just yet !!

I believe there is already a St Michael, so it would have to be St Tomlin ??

Patron saint to the WILD TOOTHLESS YINZER !! :toofunny:

Steelers43fan
09-08-2007, 06:40 PM
On Sirius NFL Radio John Madden said that 85pct of the teams that win the Super Bowl win their season opening game. If that means something to you. I found that very interesting.....got to be something to that.

Edman
09-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Any win is important, but this one is pretty big.

-It's a divisional game
-It sets the tone for the season.
-Steelers take the all-time series lead.
-Flattens Clowns fans' dreams again.
-Sends a message to the Clowns and everyone else.
-Tomlin's first game.

j-dawg
09-08-2007, 11:15 PM
It's amazing how we can talk about parity in the NFL with the salary cap and draft favoritism to losers and in the same breath speak of a talent disparity driving the domination of one team on another. Simple fact is that the Browns organization (like the Bengals) is a joke. You will lose because your organization knows nothing else. Say what you want about Darth Modell moving to Baltimore; at least he knew how to run a football team!

The Steelers will win because they want to and because they are prepared to do so.

:blah: modell was near bankrupt and baltimore offered him a ton of money.... is that your idea of knowing how to run a football team? :dang:

to suggest that the past two years under savages and romeos helm have been the same as the years proceeding them is laughable at best... this team has only 9 players on it's roster from the time they came in and there is A LOT more impact players on the current Browns than any other time since their resurgence.

do you honestly think the Steelers organization dosen't think the BROWNS are as prepared and capable to win tomorrow as they are? :coffee:

UK CANDY BEE
09-08-2007, 11:28 PM
On Sirius NFL Radio John Madden said that 85pct of the teams that win the Super Bowl win their season opening game. If that means something to you. I found that very interesting.....got to be something to that.

Madden is a senile old fart who has become a joke !!

Five seconds after that remark, he probably stated that 100% of the teams that win the Super Bowl won their last game of the playoffs !!

Frank Caliendo has Madden down perfectly............and according to Caliendo, Madden won't give him the time of day as a result.

Madden needs to ride a rocking chair at a retirement home somewhere and sit around all day making inane comments about Brett Favre and how great football is only played by great football players !!

BOOM !!

fansince'76
09-08-2007, 11:36 PM
Madden is a senile old fart who has become a joke !!

Five seconds after that remark, he probably stated that 100% of the teams that win the Super Bowl won their last game of the playoffs !!

Frank Caliendo has Madden down perfectly............and according to Caliendo, Madden won't give him the time of day as a result.

Madden needs to ride a rocking chair at a retirement home somewhere and sit around all day making inane comments about Brett Favre and how great football is only played by great football players !!

BOOM !!

:iagree: Caliendo really does have Madden down to a tee:

dnrPJSXWqsg

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

stlrtruck
09-08-2007, 11:55 PM
Oh yeah...........right....... :rolleyes: .. there is a huge talent dis..............:toofunny:.........I can't even hit the keys to repeat it.............it's just that stupid !!!

Mike Tomlin hasn't even coached his first regular season game n the NFL, and you folks are already acting as if he has taken your Piss & Black clad bunch to new heights compared to where The Chin (Bill who ?, as I suppose he is now known in Pissburgh) had them.

According to everything I have heard, which is most likely not as much as you folks have, Tomlin is a fine coach who should do a good job.

But it is a little early to nominate him for sainthood just yet !!

I believe there is already a St Michael, so it would have to be St Tomlin ??

Patron saint to the WILD TOOTHLESS YINZER !! :toofunny:

Many people questioned the same player mentality when Cowher took over for Noll 16 years ago. Last time I checked not only did Cowher dominate the clowns, he dominated the AFCC!

And how is it a man from Tennesseeeeeee, make comments about being toothless...now that is priceless!:toofunny:

UK CANDY BEE
09-08-2007, 11:57 PM
LMAO !! That was hilarious 76 !!

He doesn't do a bad Chris Farley either !!

.......then again, I always thought Farley was more of an idiot than a comedian !!

Stlrs4Life
09-09-2007, 12:16 AM

Arrogance my ass. I have to work with a bunch of Stain Fans, and they are the most arrogant whiny fans that I have ever seen. They talk like they have won something, when your team hasn't won diddly squat since 1964. So in my mind, Shit Stain Fans should STFU, and keep there mouths shut. Till ya do something. You improved your team from last season by 2 players. Isn't going to get you very many more wins.

tony hipchest
09-09-2007, 12:24 AM
sory for the further hijacking, but caliendo is truly gifted when it comes to impersonations. if you hear him do madden, bush jr,, jim rome, or robin williams on the radio, you have no idea you are listenning to a commedian. best impersonator ever in my book.

tony hipchest
09-09-2007, 12:33 AM

and thats just at cleveland park, aka browns stadium, aka snausages field.

:toofunny:

anyways tomlin > crennell. poor browns. now they will have to bring in another offensive minded HC to develop their #1 overall draft pick (which now belongs to dallas)

i hear chris palmer sucks... errrrr... is available for the right price. maybe you can hire that great ex patriot charlie weiss to make up for pissing on belichick. he's been doing great things in the college ranks.

if all else fails, there is always cowher out their to develop your #1 pick qb. :thumbsup:

Preacher
09-09-2007, 02:52 AM
I cant wait until this weekend is over... I really can't wait until our first late game...

More importantly... I can't wait until we play a team that actually provides a challenge!!

MasterOfPuppets
09-09-2007, 03:49 AM
I cant wait until this weekend is over... I really can't wait until our first late game...

More importantly... I can't wait until we play a team that actually provides a challenge!!
are your services during the early games?

Stlrs4Life
09-09-2007, 05:39 PM

.......you do need to win tomorrow, because your bunch is as good you seem to think.....

....and the Browns are as bad as you obviously think !!

I foresee a terrible disturbance in The Farce.... the sound of thousands of Dawg Bone throwing Shit Stains fans cryinng out in pain and shock and being silenced !!!!

There, fixed it for ya. Too bad you probably will not see it though cause more than likely you will not come back.

Preacher
09-10-2007, 01:06 AM
are your services during the early games?

Yep. Being on the west coast, it smacks RIGHT in the middle of the game!!!

delhess
09-10-2007, 01:11 PM
come on brown fans, where are you now? we're just a bunch of blind ****ey steeler fans that aren't in touch w/ reality, right? it's easy to say that on a saturday, where are you on monday?

Edman
09-10-2007, 01:14 PM
They all choked on their plate of crow and died probably.