PDA

View Full Version : Who should sit this Week?

OneForTheToe
09-08-2007, 12:17 PM
So, we just spent the last few months offering the Steelers’ front office and coaches an almost unending supply of advice on who should make the 53 man roster. Shocking, how they didn’t appear to always listen to what we fans advised? I mean, seriously, have we ever been wrong? :blah:
Anyway, now that the 53 man roster has been set, a weekly roster question comes into play. Who is inactive each week for the Steelers.

A NFL team may only have 45 players active for each game. If you look at our roster there are some pretty tough decisions. In the past, under Cowher, I think this decision was easier. We have usually had the “mad scientist” as D’ coordinator – using multiple sets, requiring multiple players, to confuse the opponent. Now we also have a O’ coordinator who fancies himself also a “mad scientist.” The decisions is more difficult, and we may be forced to forgo some of the “mad scientist” plans, or leave the roster thin at some positions such as O’line. I read a comment by Larry Zierlein a while back that the Steelers could go with just 7 active linemen for a game.

Anyhow who are the 8 players you would leave inactive for the Cleveland game? Maybe the coaches will finally listen: :wink02:

1) Brian St. Pierre – this is the reason I am in favor of a third QB on a 53 man roster. He will be inactive, but listed as the emergency QB which means he can actually play if Ben and Charlie go down and still not count on the 45 man active list..
2) Gary Russell – The Steelers almost have to sit one of the four a RB’s. I like Russell. If Willie were to go down for an extended period of time, I could see Gary emerging as his replacement. But, he will have a hard time getting into the game at the moment. Willie and Dookie are set, and Davis can play FB and special teams.
3) Essex – clearly the first O’linemen to sit. He is behind Starks at OT and can only play “one position.”
4) Cooper, LB – He is hurt. He wouldn’t play if he wasn’t
5) Colclough, cb – if you are playing the Colts you might need all of your cb’s active. This is Cleveland you need more guys ready for a slug fest. “Coke-ly” would seem the odd corner out if Rossum is going to return punts.
6) Tyrone Carter – I think Carter does a good job. However, Townsend has practiced at safety in case we get a rash of injuries.
7) Timmons, lb – Yes, I know he is ahead of Arnold Harrison on the depth chart, but I just don’t like the idea of having two backup rookies at outside linebackers. Once Timmons gets some more practice, particularly at inside backer, I definitely see him as active. But, for now, I’ll take Arnold Harrison’s limited experience over none.
8) Matt Spaeth – Ok, I know Arian’s wants to use three TE sets at times. I’m not against the idea of trying that. However, I haven’t seen or heard enough about this set to believe that it would be effective, yet. Both Tuman and Spaeth have been banged up a bit this summer, so maybe if they stay healthy, that particular part of the Offense could be used later. If we don’t sit Spaeth, I can’t think of where else to get the 8th inactive player. I don’t like the idea of going with less than 8 O’ linemen. I don’t think we can afford to sit a WR or D’ linemen. So, to me it comes down to Spaeth or Kreider. I’m not against trying a game without Kreider, but not Cleveland, in Cleveland. This game will probably come down to a drive in the third quarter to put the game away. If we get first and goal from the five, we need Kreider hunting Linebacker’s heads while leading Willie into the endzone.

So, anyone else with some ideas?

steelers forever 8
09-08-2007, 02:52 PM
thats about right , except nick eason instead of tyrone carter

OneForTheToe
09-08-2007, 03:58 PM
thats about right , except nick eason instead of tyrone carter

Thanks,I did think about the Steelers sitting Eason. I'm just a little nervous about going with only 5 D'linemen. If we were playing a passing team, then I could see the need for the extra saftey. However, I have a feeling the "brownies" are going to try and pound Lewis, and if we took any injuries in the D'line, we might not be able to rotate tired linemen in and out of the game.

Galax Steeler
09-09-2007, 06:44 AM
I think tyrone carter is promosing I think he will be active.

Elvis
09-09-2007, 06:59 AM
Yeah... I dont see Tyrone Carter being unactive either, the man meant too much to our team last year after Polomalu went down. Does no one remember just how well the young man played late last year? I was never a big fan of his until last year when he took over for Troy. Its hard to say who will be on this list, but most of the time I think that it all depends on who our opponent is for the weekend.
:helmet::tt02: