PDA

View Full Version : I'm not convinced

Infamix
09-09-2007, 06:26 PM
I'm so happy with today's win, but this kind of play won't hold up against any playoff caliber team. The Ravens? Hell no...Pats, forget about it! None of those teams will play as bad as the Browns did, or turn the ball over as many times.

I'm glad the easy games are in the begining so we can get them out of the way and get off to a good start, but the Steelers have alot to improve.

blocking lacked consistancy

Ben looks alot better, but still throws behind the reciever sometimes, and takes too long in the pocket. Overall though, he improved alot

Dropped balls - this really needs to be addressed, but some of them were a result of Ben throwing it too behind the reciever

Despite the score, the offense isn't explosive enough

defense looked GREAT

special teams looked SOLID

I think next week, the Steelers will look much better

Steelers 27 Bills 6

alittlejazzbird
09-09-2007, 06:32 PM
I couldn't see the game on TV, but following along online, it seemed like the Steeler corners gave up some big-yardage plays on that Browns scoring drive, and on some other possessions as well. I know we had the game well in hand by that time, but still.....seems to me that the corner problems continue, and that makes me worried for when we actually play a real football team.

fansince'76
09-09-2007, 06:37 PM
It's only one game - I wouldn't crown the Chargers OR Bears as playoff-bound teams based on what I've seen today either. And do I really need to mention the Saints the other night?

Atlanta Dan
09-09-2007, 06:38 PM
I agree the second quarter was a disgrace for the offense but it is week one and they played well in the third quarter - defenses will still be sharper than offenses because nobody plays in preseason - let's wait until we see how sharp the Ravens are tomorrow night before we concede those games.

And FWIW they did manage to eke out a 34-7 win with a 31-7 lead after 3 quarters on the road - imagine what we would be saying if they only covered the spread.

Infamix
09-09-2007, 06:45 PM
It's only one game - I wouldn't crown the Chargers OR Bears as playoff-bound teams based on what I've seen today either. And do I really need to mention the Saints the other night?

I usually agree with what you have to say, but not here

We have dominated the Browns in recent history for a long time, so this was expected.

The Chargers and Bears are much closer, skill/talent wise, than the Steelers and Browns. The Saints played the defending SuperBowl Champ Colts.

It is too quick to make judgements, but if the Steelers play like they did today against other teams, they're not going to win many games.

Atlanta Dan
09-09-2007, 06:52 PM

We have dominated the Browns in recent history for a long time, so this was expected.

The Chargers and Bears are much closer, skill/talent wise, than the Steelers and Browns. The Saints played the defending SuperBowl Champ Colts.

It is too quick to make judgements, but if the Steelers play like they did today against other teams, they're not going to win many games.

??? - they covered the spread by 23 (and1/2) - if someone told me going into the game they would win by 27 I would have taken it - leaving aside the Pats, Denver, and Ravens road games, how many teams on the schedule will beat them based on those teams performance in week one?

Mike Tomlin - welcome to the expectations of Steelers Nation

xbroughneck
09-09-2007, 06:53 PM

I don't expect the Steelers to have a bad quarter like they did in the second quarter of todays game again. That was probably the worst 2nd quarter I've ever seen them play.

That said, they dominated for two quarters and coasted during the last half of quarter #5.

I think today's second quarter was the exception, not the rule. I don't think the Steelers are as good as New England and the Colts, but if Ben doesn't turn the ball over I'd say the Steelers are definitely in that second tier of talent (Bears, Chargers, Seahawks).

Atlanta Dan
09-09-2007, 06:57 PM
I don't expect the Steelers to have a bad quarter like they did in the second quarter of todays game again. That was probably the worst 2nd quarter I've ever seen them play.

I take it you missed watching the 2003 season or the last quarter of the Steelers-Bengals game last September?:smile:

Mosca
09-09-2007, 06:58 PM
I couldn't see the game on TV, but following along online, it seemed like the Steeler corners gave up some big-yardage plays on that Browns scoring drive, and on some other possessions as well. I know we had the game well in hand by that time, but still.....seems to me that the corner problems continue, and that makes me worried for when we actually play a real football team.

The Browns completed some passes on one drive, and the TD was on a blitz which left the back uncovered. Other blitzes, the QB didn't have time to find that guy. For most of the game, our corners shut them down, and at least two sacks were coverage sacks.

I was impressed with the D. If you'd have seen the game, you'd have liked what you saw; for the most part, the secondary was all over the Browns.

Tom

Newzfoxjr
09-09-2007, 07:00 PM
The Browns sucked, but they ARE a division "rival", if you will. So it's going to be rougher, all be the ass-kicking, than a game against someone outside the division. I think we're good. I mean, Ben having 4 TDs and the Defense doing as well as I hear, after last year, brings a smile to my face. I think we're in the hunt this year.

Steelers 27, Bills 10

steelpride12
09-09-2007, 07:00 PM
I agree i mean yes we had a freaking amazing game and Ben looked very good but the run game at first looked sloppy and the blocking needs to improve. Alot of them throws should have been caught and that needs to be fix soon. but overall im very impressed and can't wait till next week
Go Steelers!

Steelers 24
Bills 6

alittlejazzbird
09-09-2007, 07:11 PM
The Browns completed some passes on one drive, and the TD was on a blitz which left the back uncovered. Other blitzes, the QB didn't have time to find that guy. For most of the game, our corners shut them down, and at least two sacks were coverage sacks.

I was impressed with the D. If you'd have seen the game, you'd have liked what you saw; for the most part, the secondary was all over the Browns.

Tom

Thanks, Tom. That makes me feel better!

fansince'76
09-09-2007, 07:12 PM

You mean like the last-minute 24-20 win we eked out against them in Cleveland last year? I beg to differ, but this team has had a bad habit in the recent past of playing down to the level of its opponents and either just eking out wins or worse, losing to teams that we should have throttled (Oakland game last year, anybody?). We did what we needed to do today - we went into an inferior opponents' backyard and kicked their ass.

alittlejazzbird
09-09-2007, 07:16 PM

Man, the Bears and Chargers both stunk up the joint today! The Chargers happened to be a little less awful, but for awhile it didn't look like either team wanted to win.

It's a little too early to punch anyone's ticket to XLII just yet. Plenty of teams are not as good, or as bad, as they appeared this week. Time will tell....

geo1963
09-09-2007, 07:37 PM
In the words of many coaches the game was what it was. A good solid divisional road win in the nfl. Was it perfect ? no, but I'd have to say it was a very business like performance on the part of the Steelers. They handled the Browns like they should have, now it's time for them to get back to work, clean up the mistakes and get ready to kick the hell out of the Bills.God I am soooooo...frickin happy football is back !!!!!

fansince'76
09-09-2007, 07:46 PM
It's a little too early to punch anyone's ticket to XLII just yet. Plenty of teams are not as good, or as bad, as they appeared this week. Time will tell....

Exactly, jazz, exactly.

SteelerWatch
09-09-2007, 07:56 PM
Everyone seems to be very critical, but no one is offering praise where it should be. Roethlisberger played a great game. There were four drops in the second quarter that should have been easy catches (2 by Davenport, 1 by Parker, 1 by Holmes). Those accounted for nearly half of the incomplete passes Ben threw in the game. His 40-yarder to Holmes was absolutely picture-perfect, and it was only one of many examples today where he hit guys in stride.

And here's another thing: EVERY QB throws passes behind receivers. It happens. Tom Brady does it. And Brady even has a bad habit of throwing a lot of balls into the ground at the receivers' feet. It's just that we don't watch those guys week in and week out.

Bottom line: it was week 1. Give it time, because it all looks good so far.

Hammer67
09-09-2007, 08:00 PM
"Despite the score, the offense isn't explosive enough"

:toofunny:

stillers4me
09-09-2007, 08:06 PM
I'm not worried. We have a habit of starting out the season a little slow. :sofunny:

alittlejazzbird
Everyone seems to be very critical, but no one is offering praise where it should be. Roethlisberger played a great game. There were four drops in the second quarter that should have been easy catches (2 by Davenport, 1 by Parker, 1 by Holmes). Those accounted for nearly half of the incomplete passes Ben threw in the game. His 40-yarder to Holmes was absolutely picture-perfect, and it was only one of many examples today where he hit guys in stride.

The CBS Sportsline game-blogger (glog?) noted the same thing, that a number of Ben's incompletions were due to drops. I don't know about you, but I think the fact that Ben's TD-to-INT ratio stands at 4-0 as of today is cause for rejoicing in Steeler Nation.

I know it's only Week 1, but just maybe we're seeing the return of the Real Ben, he of the 2004 and 2005 seasons.

Preacher
Wow...

It is SO nice to talk football like this again!!!

Ok... We had a bad 2nd quarter on offense... but too bad. We came back well. Ben looked very good. Sure, he threw behind the reciever a couple times, but he had 3 balls dropped that should have been caught, threw away about 3 or 4 balls, etc. etc.

The offense looks pretty good. Defense looked very good.

We will see against a real team next week. But it looked pretty good today!

alittlejazzbird
09-09-2007, 08:18 PM
We will see against a real team next week. But it looked pretty good today!

Speaking of next week, bad news out of Buffalo tonight re: their tight end Kevin Everett, who Peter King reports is currently undergoing emergency surgery for a cervical spinal injury. You hate to think what that could mean for him. No matter how much we want to get a win, my hope is for his complete recovery.

HometownGal
09-09-2007, 08:27 PM

I have to respectfully disagree with you here, Infamix.

Yes - the Browns have been our beyotches for the last couple of years, but I never take any team for granted. The Steelers made the mistake of doing that last season (Oakland) and that didn't have a good outcome if you will recall. I had no doubt that the Steelers would win this week, as I truly believe they are the better team, but I never expected them to chew 'em up and spit 'em out like that.

I think all in all, the Steelers answered the call today. It wasn't a perfect game, but it wasn't a game filled with costly mistakes and turnovers, either. There were a lot of positives, i.e. the re-birth of Jeff Reed (kickoffs into the EZ), the vip and vigor shown by the ST's, the D's total domination and Ben hitting his receivers when it counted, along with FWP's efforts to pick up those hard yards and the OL playing fairly well as a unit. There is always room for improvement, no matter how good a team plays and after the coaches and team review the film, I'm certain those grey areas will be addressed.

ExtonSteelFan
09-09-2007, 08:52 PM
I thought the offense was plenty explosive. Doesn't the score reflect the explosiveness of the offense? I'm confused....putting up 30+ points in the NFL is pretty darn good the last time I checked. If you take back a few of those dropped passes (it's only the 1st game btw) and you probably have the offense at 40+ in this game. Give it a few games...I'm sure the timing and rhythm will be down by then.

steelersfanmx
09-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Give it a few games...I'm sure the timing and rhythm will be down by then.
I agree, I was thinking the same!

FastWillieParker39
09-09-2007, 09:16 PM
So I come on here thinking there will be some optimism but I see some people complaining about a 34-7 win? I know it was the Browns but jeez lets congratulate Tomlin for his first win instead of complaining about. If you were to ask me would I take a 34-7 win on opening day against the Browns, I would take it.

We're 1-0, be happy, I know I am!:tt02:

Hammer67
09-09-2007, 09:22 PM
So I come on here thinking there will be some optimism but I see some people complaining about a 34-7 win? I know it was the Browns but jeez lets congratulate Tomlin for his first win instead of complaining about. If you were to ask me would I take a 34-7 win on opening day against the Browns, I would take it.

We're 1-0, be happy, I know I am!:tt02:

I know....noobs. :dang:

Stlrs4Life
09-09-2007, 09:29 PM
I too believe it is early, and think they will improve from week to week.

Preacher
09-09-2007, 09:40 PM
I know....noobs. :dang:
:sofunny:

Man, i was and am excited about this year!!!

Steel_Bus_24
09-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Well its a good start but I don't think we are a power house yet. We do however have the opportunity to develop into one through the next 4 weeks...Im excited

lilyoder6
09-09-2007, 10:12 PM
did woodly or timmons play at all??? i saw harrison started i beleive

Infamix
09-09-2007, 10:12 PM
leaving aside the Pats, Denver, and Ravens road games, how many teams on the schedule will beat them based on those teams performance in week one?

Mike Tomlin - welcome to the expectations of Steelers Nation

You should re-read my post because I specified "playoff caliber teams". And the later stretch of our schedule includes lots of them

Infamix
09-09-2007, 10:19 PM
I think many people just ripped apart my post without understanding it. I did say the defense played great. I did say the special teams looked good as well.

I could have stated "the offensive didn't look explosive" better, what I really meant is that the Browns made so many mistakes and we took advantage (much better than last year, last year we made the mistakes). But carefully look at the game, it's not like our offense marched down the field, we took advantage of the short fields the Browns kept giving us.

Take it how you want it: the Steelers did play great, but some areas are a little shakey and could use work, especially against better teams. I consider week 1-2 kind of like pre-season, it's too quick to judge, but the Steelers definitely need to improve by week 3, and I think they will

fansince'76
09-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Our red zone offense looked a hell of a lot better than last year too.

Atlanta Dan
09-09-2007, 11:08 PM
You should re-read my post because I specified "playoff caliber teams". And the later stretch of our schedule includes lots of them

I have re-read your post to which I responded and am posting it here verbatim

Please help me with where there was a reference to "playoff caliber'" teams in that statement. You said the Steelers were not likely to win many games against anyone other than the Browns if they play like they did today. I disagreed with what you said, not with what you claim you meant to say.

Preacher
09-10-2007, 12:31 AM
did woodly or timmons play at all??? i saw harrison started i beleive

They both played... and contributed in some ways. Timmons contributed nicely on ST's!

Infamix
09-10-2007, 12:56 AM
I have re-read your post to which I responded and am posting it here verbatim

Please help me with where there was a reference to "playoff caliber'" teams in that statement. You said the Steelers were not likely to win many games against anyone other than the Browns if they play like they did today. I disagreed with what you said, not with what you claim you meant to say.

I was talking about my first post, the original one that started the thread.

moedap
09-10-2007, 01:34 AM
Infamix is just addressing the negatives which are dead on. But didnt address the positives with enough enthusiasm and confidence which imho is needed. I believe we are just as potent as San Diego, Cin, NE and Colts on offense. I remember playing up to all of those offenses when we had to in the past(and that is when we were "smash mouth"). The drive to open the 3rd quarter is what this team is capable of doing on any team except the Ravens(and I say that cringing). The last 3 scoring drives were 71 yards Td, 64 yrds TD, 72 yrds FG that is not shortfield. Tomlin shut them down in the 4th. They could have put up 14 more points. GO STEELERS!

Its the sport of kings better than diamond rings...football!

Preacher
09-10-2007, 01:41 AM
Infamix is just addressing the negatives which are dead on. But didnt address the positives with enough enthusiasm and confidence which imho is needed. I believe we are just as potent as San Diego, Cin, NE and Colts on offense. I remember playing up to all of those offenses when we had to in the past(and that is when we were "smash mouth"). The drive to open the 3rd quarter is what this team is capable of doing on any team except the Ravens(and I say that cringing). The last 3 scoring drives were 71 yards Td, 64 yrds TD, 72 yrds FG that is not shortfield. Tomlin shut them down in the 4th. They could have put up 14 more points. GO STEELERS!

Its the sport of kings better than diamond rings...football!

Yeah... I was wondering when we started seeing the run, run, run, in the fourth quarter....

I swore Tomlin turned white and grew a chin!

Actually, that's not true. Cowher would have shut it down about 10 minutes into the second quarter.

Galax Steeler
09-10-2007, 04:56 AM
I also think we will come together next week I liked what we done yesterday.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-10-2007, 05:32 AM

You have to take into consideration that this was a rust-knockng game...first game of the year..and first chance to implement a new offense and a few new wrinkles into a defensive scheme.
I understand what you are saying but I think our schedule works out perfectly for us to be able to be "on-game" before we play top-caliber teams.

Steel Pit
09-10-2007, 05:44 AM
There were portions of the game that became a little dull. The dropped passes killed a few drives. The running game wasn't very affective in the 1st half. All in all I was very satisfied. A 34-7opening day win, I'm not complaining. It doesn't matter how bad your opponent is, if you have any sportsmanship at all, you're not going to beat them much worse than 34-7. :tt02:

stillers4me
09-10-2007, 05:48 AM
Tomlin has made it blazingly clear that if you can't do your job, you will be replaced by someone that will. Like right now. I like it.

GBMelBlount
09-10-2007, 07:47 AM
You have to take into consideration that this was a rust-knockng game...first game of the year..and first chance to implement a new offense and a few new wrinkles into a defensive scheme.
I understand what you are saying but I think our schedule works out perfectly for us to be able to be "on-game" before we play top-caliber teams.

I agree LLT. I thought the defense was pretty solid. Obviously there are things that can be improved on the offense. But as you said, for all the changes on offense, I think they did well for first game of season. It appears Ben may have alot of tools and if they can get the offense clicking on all cylinders IMHO they can hang with the Ravens or anyone else for that matter.

7/39/43
09-10-2007, 07:52 AM
first game back to full all out football still not completely in rythm but good enough for me. It will get better but still looked dominating to me. The O line still has me concerned

stillhead
09-10-2007, 08:16 AM
i thought they looked good yesterday. if you would have told me big ben would throw 4 td passes yesterday i would have laughed. i thought he played really well. a win is a win and a 34-7 whooping of the clowns is o.k. by me anytime, anywhere. :tt02:

Atlanta Dan
09-10-2007, 08:27 AM
I was talking about my first post, the original one that started the thread.

But that was not the post to which I responded

:cheers:

Long Island Steel
09-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Super Bowl teams don't peak in September. C'mon...nobody should be complaining today.

4 easy games to work things out to start the season. Get to 4-0 and then let the good times roll!

Tankus_Maximus
09-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Anytime you can hang 30+ points on any team, it's a good thing.

It's even better when it's a divisional rival.

Those dropped passes have gotta stop, otherwise, Ben looked great. That TD pass to Santonio was a thing of beauty.

ShutDown24
09-10-2007, 09:52 AM
We have to wait a couple more weeks to really know... I have a few issues but if the time gets the W's it doesn't really matter.

SteelerFanInCA
09-10-2007, 10:42 AM
I thought the offense looked pretty darn good considering this was the first time the first unit played the entire game together.

Offense not explosive enough? Give me a break. :dang:

There is always going to be room for improvement but for now I like what I see.

DACEB
09-10-2007, 11:59 AM
I think we all have alot to look forward to this season. The offense looks to be alot more balanced, and the defense seems to be rejuvinated.

I think you could probably attribute alot of the drops in the 2nd quarter to a wet ball or just some rust on the offenses part.

I must say that I was very excited to see that the O held the ball for over 13 min. in the 4th quarter. That's Steeler football.

DACEB
09-10-2007, 12:35 PM
I think the Bills will provide a much greater challenge this week. The Bills have a much better defense and a scrappy QB who can move in the pocket.

I look forward to Tomlin keeping the men focused, and giving us fans an opening home day win.

augustashark
09-10-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm so happy with today's win, but this kind of play won't hold up against any playoff caliber team. The Ravens? Hell no...Pats, forget about it! None of those teams will play as bad as the Browns did, or turn the ball over as many times.

I'm glad the easy games are in the begining so we can get them out of the way and get off to a good start, but the Steelers have alot to improve.

blocking lacked consistancy

Ben looks alot better, but still throws behind the reciever sometimes, and takes too long in the pocket. Overall though, he improved alot

Dropped balls - this really needs to be addressed, but some of them were a result of Ben throwing it too behind the reciever

Despite the score, the offense isn't explosive enough

defense looked GREAT

special teams looked SOLID

I think next week, the Steelers will look much better

Steelers 27 Bills 6

I really thought that this would be a problem. Very much so in week 1 and 2. I think when you have the INTS that Ben had last year that it's only natural to hang on to the ball a little longer to avoid any stupid INTS.

I think as the season goes, he will become more comfortable within the system and get rid of the ball quicker.

Good teams make big strides between week 1 and 2, I'm very much looking forward to see how we play against a better team in Buffalo.

Overall I think we took care of business and beat a team that we should beat. Remeber there were games last year that we should have won and did'nt! On to the Bills.

SteelFist
09-10-2007, 03:47 PM
You mean like the last-minute 24-20 win we eked out against them in Cleveland last year? I beg to differ, but this team has had a bad habit in the recent past of playing down to the level of its opponents and either just eking out wins or worse, losing to teams that we should have throttled (Oakland game last year, anybody?). We did what we needed to do today - we went into an inferior opponents' backyard and kicked their ass.

:sofunny: :tt02:

fansince'76
09-10-2007, 10:43 PM
After watching the crapfest masquerading as a football game between the "elite" AFCN teams tonight, I'm downright ecstatic about how we looked yesterday.

delhess
09-10-2007, 11:00 PM
After watching the crapfest masquerading as a football game between the "elite" AFCN teams tonight, I'm downright ecstatic about how we looked yesterday.

i don't know about that, i saw some good playing tonight. i was just thinking how bad the browns defense was compared to either of those teams. it was giving me butterflies. i hope the easy opening lineup doesn't soften us up.

fansince'76
09-10-2007, 11:08 PM
i don't know about that, i saw some good playing tonight. i was just thinking how bad the browns defense was compared to either of those teams. it was giving me butterflies. i hope the easy opening lineup doesn't soften us up.

Sorry, "elite" teams don't turn the ball over six times in one game. Period.

stillers4me
09-10-2007, 11:10 PM

I think you are underestimating the Steelers, there bud.

We may have only played the Brown's but we played a relatively clean and efficient game on both sides of the ball. If we can minimize the costly mistakes of last season.......we will be a real threat. Yeah......there's a few things that need some work, but if Tomlin can address them as brilliantly as he did the ST, look out.

He has made it very clear that if you cannot do your job......you are out.

stillers4me
09-10-2007, 11:10 PM
Sorry, "elite" teams don't turn the ball over six times in one game. Period.

Bingo.

Infamix
09-11-2007, 01:01 AM
I have to agree with the person who said the Ravens and Bengals did not look elite at all. Once again, to quick to judge everything after one game but the Ravens looked VERY sloppy tonight. The Bengals D looked aggressive but their offense wasn't impressive.

If we were to analyze the first week alone, Steelers are on top of the division. Also, when the Steelers build momentum, they are very hard to stop. For example, the superbowl year at the end. How about the end of last year?

What I'm trying to get at is, with a relatively easy schedule for our first 4 games, we can build momentum and carry it on to the better teams. Let's hope it works out that way.

(yes more optimistic)

Preacher
09-11-2007, 02:36 AM
Wow.

I wish we played the Ravens and Bengals the next two weeks. Get the games over early before either team fixes their problems!!