PDA

View Full Version : Bill's have 4 injured players

stillers4me
09-09-2007, 08:32 PM
I never want to see a player go down like this......it's my worse fear for one of our guys. Looks like the Bills' are starting the season out in a bad way.

Serious condition
Bills' Everett has operation after cervical spine injury

Posted: Sunday September 9, 2007 5:28PM; Updated: Sunday September 9, 2007 8:25PM

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- Kevin Everett had surgery Sunday evening, hours after the Buffalo Bills reserve tight end showed no signs of movement after sustaining a severe neck injury in the team's season opener against Denver.

Bills spokesman Scott Berchtold said he was informed by the team's medical staff the player went into surgery at a Buffalo hospital at about 8 p.m. Berchtold said he had no further information, and didn't know whether Everett had shown any signs of movement since he was driven off the field in an ambulance.

Coach Dick Jauron said immediately following the game that the player sustained a cervical spine injury, but wouldn't discuss the severity of the injury.

The player's agent Brian Overstreet was not immediately available for comment.

Everett fell to the ground and never moved after a helmet-to-helmet hit when he tackled Denver's Domenik Hixon during a kickoff to open the second half. Everett was placed on a backboard with his head and body immobilized, and carefully loaded into an ambulance at the Broncos 30.

The game was delayed for about 15 minutes, and the Bills gathered at the sideline while doctors attended to the player.

Everett's injury cast a pall over the Bills following a season-opening 15-14 loss, with several players expressing concern about their teammate.

"It was real hard," cornerback Terrence McGee said. "I watched the whole thing and he never moved. ... It's real sad to see him go off on a stretcher, but we hope he's OK."

"It's real sad," added receiver Roscoe Parrish, who played with Everett at the University of Miami. "When something like that happens to a close friend of yours, and you know how much he loves football, it bothers you."

Denver players expressed concern, including kicker Jason Elam, who kicked the winning field goal as time ran out.

Before taking questions after the game, Elam said: "What we heard is not good, so for our whole team, our prayers go out to him."

Buffalo's third-round draft pick in 2005, Everett missed his entire rookie season with a knee injury, and spent most of his second season limited to special teams duty.

The Bills liked Everett's 6-foot-4 frame, and were counting on him to play a role in their passing attack this season.

Buffalo also lost three defensive starters to injury.

Free safety Ko Simpson is out indefinitely after breaking his left ankle. Cornerback Jason Webster is out indefinitely after breaking his forearm in the fourth quarter. Linebacker Coy Wire, who was filling in for injured starter Keith Ellison, sprained his knee in the first quarter.

Simpson was hurt when he had his feet cut out from beneath him by teammate Jason Webster as the two were attempting to tackle Broncos receiver Javon Walker. Simpson fell immediately to the ground and was unable to put any weight on his left foot.

Buffalo's fourth-round pick in the 2006 draft, Simpson started 15 games last season, and was a member of the NFL's youngest safety tandem, playing alongside rookie first-round pick Donte Whitner.

Third-year player Jim Leonhard took over for Simpson.

Wire was examined on the sideline, but made his way to the locker room on his own. Reserve Mario Haggan replaced Wire.

It's unclear when Webster was hurt. The Bills had signed the seven-year NFL veteran last spring to take over as starter after losing Nate Clements to San Francisco in free agency.

OneForTheToe
09-09-2007, 08:34 PM
So sad....... I hope and pray that he can make a recovery.

steelpinstripe72
09-09-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm in Buffalo, so that's the game I saw today (no FOX970 feed for the Steelers game, wtf?? :pissed:). What an ending, but yeah, Everett's injury was ugly. Doesn't matter who you root for, you just don't want to see that happen. Hopefully he'll be okay.

Livinginthe past
09-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Thats tough luck - thoughts go out to the guy and his family - ill be hoping for a full recovery.

Stlrs4Life
09-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Prayers out to him and his family.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
09-09-2007, 09:00 PM
They just said he's out of surgery and in intensive care and they will re-evaluate within 12 to 24 hours they didn't say if there was any movement this isn't sounding good. Positive and good thoughts to Kevin Everett and his family.

CantStop85
09-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Sounds a lot like Pollack's injury.

Not good.

PAMillerGrrl83
09-09-2007, 09:27 PM
I really hope he makes a full recovery and my thoughts are with him and his family.

Preacher
09-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Very scary... Very sad.

I am getting on a Bills board.... and will post a link back to this thread... so that we can pass our well-wishes on to the fans... if not the player himself.

This is just so much bigger then football :pity:

Edman
09-09-2007, 11:29 PM
Ths is one of those times when football goes out the window. This is a players' career (and maybe life) at stake. I hope he's all right.

MasterOfPuppets
09-10-2007, 01:07 AM
another huge tradgedy in the nfl.....best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

memphissteelergirl
09-10-2007, 09:00 AM
Very scary... Very sad.

I am getting on a Bills board.... and will post a link back to this thread... so that we can pass our well-wishes on to the fans... if not the player himself.

Good idea, Preacher...

Ths is one of those times when football goes out the window. This is a players' career (and maybe life) at stake. I hope he's all right.

Yeah, you never want to see a player injured, especially to this extent. Prayers to his teammates and family.

Livinginthe past
09-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Just a quick update on this sad state of affairs.

Given that the doc nearly always put a positive spin on the prognosis its extremely disappointing to hear him use words like bleak and dismal.

Forget the football career, it'd be great just to see this guy able to walk again.

The AP reports that Bills tight end Kevin Everett suffered a "catastrophic" neck injury on Sunday. The injury also is described as "life-threatening."

"A best-case scenario is full recovery, but not likely," Dr. Andrew Cappuccino said, one day after performing a four-hour operation on the player. "I believe there will be some permanent neurological paralysis. . . . A full neurological recovery was bleak, dismal."

Although Everett has had successful surgery to remove bone chips resulting from fractures of the third and fourth vertebrates in Everett's neck, he remains at risk for blood clots, infections, and breathing failure.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Everett has been placed on the Bills' injured reserve list. But Everett's playing status is just a footnote at this point; the injury is a reminder of how dangerous the game of football can be, at every level.

tony hipchest
09-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Just a quick update on this sad state of affairs.

Given that the doc nearly always put a positive spin on the prognosis its extremely disappointing to hear him use words like bleak and dismal.

Forget the football career, it'd be great just to see this guy able to walk again.wow. the broken bone chips explain the almost immediate surgery (probably to save his life).

what is so weird is that javon walker took an almost similar shot (and from viewing both i would say walkers looked way worse) where it looked like his head was ripped off. i was watching it live and was actually worried they were gonna have to bring out the stretcher for him.

walker was back in the game the next series or 2.

Elvis
09-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Please keep the young man in your
prayers tonight......
Amen...
:hug:

wiqidjuggalo
09-11-2007, 03:47 AM
Tuesday, September 11, 2007
From wire dispatches

Kevin Everett sustained a "catastrophic" and life-threatening spinal-cord injury while trying to make a tackle in the Buffalo Bills' season-opening loss to Denver and is unlikely to walk again, the surgeon who operated on him said yesterday.

"A best-case scenario is full recovery, but not likely," orthopedic surgeon Andrew Cappuccino said. "I believe there will be some permanent neurologic deficit."

Everett was hurt Sunday after he ducked his head while tackling the Denver Broncos' Domenik Hixon on the second-half kickoff. Everett dropped face-first to the turf after his helmet hit Hixon high on the left shoulder and side of the helmet.

Cappuccino noted that Everett, 25, a reserve tight end, did have touch sensation throughout his body and also showed signs of movement. But he cautioned that Everett's injury was life-threatening because he was still susceptible to blood clots, infection and breathing failure.

Everett is in the intensive care unit of Buffalo's Millard Fillmore Gates Hospital, where he is under sedation and breathing through a respirator as doctors wait for the swelling to lessen. Cappuccino said it will take up to three days to determine the severity of the injury and the recovery process.

Raiders

Oakland has agreed to pay No. 1 draft pick JaMarcus Russell at least $31 million guaranteed after lengthy negotiations with the quarterback's agents the past four days, according to sources.

Reaching that figure clears the way for Russell signing a contract at any time, perhaps as soon as today. Raiders coach Lane Kiffin confirmed as much.

"It just continues to sound like they are getting closer and closer," Kiffin said at his weekly news conference yesterday. "You just never know. I know that the sides are as close as they've ever been."

The proposed deal is expected to be for six years and make it possible for Russell to earn as much as $60 million over the life of the contract.

Giants

Quarterback Eli Manning has a bruised right shoulder and it is uncertain whether he will play against the Green Bay Packers Sunday.

Manning had an MRI yesterday that revealed a contusion to the acromioclavicular joint, near the collarbone.

"They have put it in my hands," Manning said of his playing status. "It's how you heal, and when you start to feel good and when you can make the throws. It's not a certain amount of time. It's how long you take to heal. I hope I'm a fast healer."

Manning's shoulder will be iced and get electrical stimulation the next two days. The Giants start practicing for the Packers tomorrow.

Jets

Quarterback Chad Pennington has an injured right ankle. New York acknowledged that much, but the team wouldn't say how badly the ankle is hurt or how long he will be out.

"It is the ankle, same as what was announced during the game," coach Eric Mangini said. "We'll review it during the course of the week, like we do every injury situation."

Pennington injured the ankle when he was sacked in the third quarter of the Jets' 38-14 loss to the New England Patriots Sunday.

Rams

Offensive tackle Orlando Pace will miss the rest of the season with a torn labrum and rotator cuff in his right shoulder suffered in the season opener against Carolina. The injury is Pace's second season-ender in two games, after his left triceps was torn in November.

Elsewhere

The NFL is looking into claims a New England Patriots employee was videotaping signals by Jets coaches on New York's sideline in the season opener. "The rule is that no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game," the league said in a statement. ... One-time NFL player and former Fox Sports broadcaster Bill Maas of Pitt was charged with drug possession and weapons charges stemming from a July roadside safety check in Illinois.

First published on September 11, 2007 at 12:00 am

Counselor
09-11-2007, 11:44 AM
This is such a sad case. 25 years old with most of his career ahead. If you watch the reply it didn't even look that bad. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

CB1977
09-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Very scary... Very sad.

You've got that right Preacher!!! This poor kid is only 24 years old...

My prayers go out to him and his family. God Bless.......

alittlejazzbird
09-11-2007, 07:17 PM
This is wonderful, amazing, incredible news!!!!!!

Kevin Everett might walk again after all.

The doctor who performed the spinal surgery on Everett told Buffalo TV station WIVB on Tuesday that Everett has voluntary movement of his arms and legs and as a result he is optimistic that Everett will walk again.

Dr. Andrew Cappuccino told WIVB that Everett's sedation levels were lowered on Tuesday, allowing him to respond to verbal commands. WIVB also reported that Everett's latest MRI shows only a small amount of swelling on his spinal cord.
Dr. Barth Green, chairman of the department of neurological surgery at the University of Miami school of medicine, agrees with the prognosis.

"Based on our experience, the fact that he's moving so well, so early after such a catastrophic injury means he will walk again," Greene told The Associated Press by telephone from Miami.

"It's totally spectacular, totally unexpected," Green said.

Green said he's been consulting with doctors in Buffalo since Everett sustained a life-threatening spinal cord injury Sunday after ducking his head while tackling the Denver Broncos' Domenik Hixon during the second-half kickoff of the Bills' season opener.

Everett dropped face-first to the ground after his helmet hit Hixon high on the left shoulder and side of the helmet.

Asked whether Everett will have a chance to fully recover, Green said: "It's feasible, but it's not 100 percent predictable at this time. ... But it's feasible he could lead a normal life."

On Monday, Cappuccino said that Everett sustained a "catastrophic" and life-threatening spinal-cord injury and was unlikely to walk again.

"A best-case scenario is full recovery, but not likely," Cappuccino said Monday. "I believe there will be some permanent neurologic deficit."

Bills owner Ralph Wilson said the team has been in contact from the beginning with Green and the Miami Project, the university's neurological center that specializes in spinal cord injuries and paralysis.

Everett's agent, Brian Overstreet, also said Everett's mother, Patricia Dugas, told him the player moved his arms and legs when awakened from a deeply sedated sleep.

"I don't know if I would call it a miracle. I would call it a spectacular example of what people can do," Green said. "To me, it's like putting the first man on the moon or splitting the atom. We've shown that if the right treatment is given to people who have a catastrophic injury that they could walk away from it."

Green said the key was the quick action taken by Cappuccino to run an ice-cold saline solution through Everett's system that put the player in a hypothermic state. Doctors at the Miami Project have demonstrated in their laboratories that such action significantly decreases the damage to the spinal cord due to swelling and movement.

"We've been doing a protocol on humans and having similar experiences for many months now," Green said. "But this is the first time I'm aware of that the doctor was with the patient when he was injured and the hypothermia was started within minutes of the injury. We know the earlier it's started, the better."

Everett remains in intensive care and will be slowly taken off sedation and have his body temperature warmed over the next day, Green said. Doctors will also take the player off a respirator.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3014742&type=story

MasterOfPuppets
09-11-2007, 07:32 PM
thats GREAT news !!!!! :thumbsup:

fansince'76
09-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Yep, that is awesome news! :jammin:

STEELtownHAVOX
09-11-2007, 08:43 PM
couldn't have heard any better news this evening. get well soon!!

Elvis
09-13-2007, 06:20 PM
GOD STILL ANSWERS
PRAYERS
FOLKS..
:thumbsup:
:hug: