PDA

View Full Version : Men

Hammer67
09-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Is it just me or does Tomlin use the word "Men" an annoyingly high amount.?

:coffee:

Atlanta Dan
09-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Maybe he figures it sounds better than "players"? I have noticed it as well - assume it is part of his we are all grown-ups and will be held accountable for our actions mindset.

fansince'76
09-09-2007, 10:06 PM
If this is the biggest gripe about Tomlin anybody can come up with, I think I can live with it. :coffee:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
09-09-2007, 10:14 PM
He can call them ho's as long as he keeps them winning. :cheer:

Hammer67
09-09-2007, 10:16 PM
If this is the biggest gripe about Tomlin anybody can come up with, I think I can live with it. :coffee:

Not really a gripe...just an observation.

tony hipchest
09-09-2007, 10:26 PM
fire tomlin. he does that thing with his lips as well. i am so annoyed about the overuse of the word "men".

and just another observation:

did anyone ever notice cowher spit alot?

RoethlisBURGHer
09-09-2007, 10:31 PM
fire tomlin. he does that thing with his lips as well. i am so annoyed about the overuse of the word "men".

He did? I just figured it was raining when he yelled at players.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
09-09-2007, 10:31 PM

NO Cowher didn't spit? You must be mistaken...

HometownGal
09-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Sounds a helluva lot better than calling them homies. :wink02:

Newzfoxjr
09-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Maybe Cholos would be better, you know. At least people wouldn't mess with us as much, we might shank them.

tony hipchest
09-09-2007, 11:00 PM
in other news tomlin is black. and im sure at an annoyingly high amount to some. :rolleyes:

anyways wisconsinsteelersfan had a much better observation about tomlins use of the word "men". i think i will go read that post again and forget i ever read this thread.

Preacher
09-09-2007, 11:29 PM
Well...

Better then calling them yinzers!

alittlejazzbird
09-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Tomlin sees the use of the word "men" as his way of respecting his players. Treat them like grown men, address them as such, and they will behave accordingly. I agree with a previous poster -- we'll be lucky if it's the worst thing we ever find to say about him!

Tomlin brings a corporate "team-building" mentality to coaching, and you'll hear lots of canned-sounding things come out of his mouth; his own brand of coachspeak, I guess. But hey, if it works, and this team will run through a wall for him, then babble on!!

Atlanta Dan
09-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Smizik obviously is drinking the Tomlin Kool-Aid:smile:

This is one cool guy, who understands football, the men who play it and the NFL in general.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07253/816186-194.stm

BlastFurnace
09-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Whatever Tomlin is bringing is a breath of fresh air to a team that was used to the same system of doing things....not that it was a bad system because it wasn't...but I do think a change needed to be made to wake some players up.

I don't care what Tomlin calls them, but "Men" is a good place to start.

Hammer67
09-11-2007, 12:56 PM
in other news tomlin is black. and im sure at an annoyingly high amount to some. :rolleyes:

anyways wisconsinsteelersfan had a much better observation about tomlins use of the word "men". i think i will go read that post again and forget i ever read this thread.

:crying01:

:wink02:

Preacher
09-11-2007, 12:57 PM
:crying01:

:wink02:

:sofunny::sofunny:

Hammer67
09-11-2007, 12:57 PM

I know...and the general consensus, at least among the players, was that it was annoying!
:sofunny:

And, don't get me wrong, I like that he refers to them as men because that's what they are. It's a more respectful word for a group of grown pros. He just repeats it enough for it to stand out to me.

delhess
09-11-2007, 02:30 PM
he call them men now.. what till the lose to baltimore, then he will call them women

WWIIOwheelz
09-11-2007, 05:18 PM
I've thought about this, because it's repetitive enough to be noticeable. Given his background at William & Mary, it seems out of place, but I think I may know the culprit for his use of the that word-- his very first job coaching was at Virginia Military Institute as the wide receivers coach. VMI is military protocol first, athletics a distant second. I went to high school with an all-region wrestler and football player who went there, and he became hard as nails while a cadet.

I'll bet the head coach there referred to his players as "men" strictly, and that Tomlin picked it up there. Just a guess on my part.

Preacher
09-11-2007, 06:59 PM
I've thought about this, because it's repetitive enough to be noticeable. Given his background at William & Mary, it seems out of place, but I think I may know the culprit for his use of the that word-- his very first job coaching was at Virginia Military Institute as the wide receivers coach. VMI is military protocol first, athletics a distant second. I went to high school with an all-region wrestler and football player who went there, and he became hard as nails while a cadet.

I'll bet the head coach there referred to his players as "men" strictly, and that Tomlin picked it up there. Just a guess on my part.

You know... VMI may have been were he got it from.

Hammer67
09-11-2007, 08:43 PM

Great theory...I never thought about that...

:cheers:

SteelersMongol
09-12-2007, 09:18 AM

He did? I just figured it was raining when he yelled at players.

Ha ha ha :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

Counselor
09-12-2007, 09:31 AM

I always thought the same thing. I'm sure thats not the only thing he picked up there. Wearing all black in the August heat of St. Vincent seems a very military "mental toughness" sort of thing.

RJC
09-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Tomlin calling these "Men" over an over is an attempt at subliminal respect. He wants them to know that he views them as grown "Men" and that he will treat them as such. In return he expects them to act as grown "Men" and take their occupation and responsibility seriously. If you treat them like kids you get Tom Coughlin and the NY Giants. We all know how they've done...

fansince'76
09-12-2007, 10:56 PM
If you treat them like kids you get Tom Coughlin and the NY Giants.

And even closer to home in the same division, Marv and the Bengals....

83-Steelers-43
09-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Is it just me or does Tomlin use the word "Men" an annoyingly high amount.?

and uhhh......:wink02:

Infamix
09-12-2007, 11:05 PM
i actually find it respectable that he does that

suprasad
09-12-2007, 11:30 PM
I was sold on the guy as soon as he opened his mouth. Soon after, I read an article mentioning MT, as a junior high student, doing his older bro's trig homework just the hell of it.

He's smart and just as paasionate as Cowher, but in a Dalai Lama sorta way. Also, I think The Family needed an infusion of new blood...

I'm glad the Rooneys selected him.

Sudesh

suprasad
09-12-2007, 11:32 PM
Huh?