PDA

View Full Version : For the Buffalo Bills Kevin Everett - Please Read

Indy_Steelers
09-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Let us show how classy Steelers fans are. This is the link to the Buffalo Bills website to send well wishes for Kevin Everett who got serverly injured in this past Sundays game against Denver. I do not care who it is, I love football too much to see this happens to ANYBODY. I hope all who go to the game this Sunday show some love for the Bills orginization and his family.

http://www.buffalobills.com/KevinEverett.jsp

I sent a message of encouragement on behalf of the Steelers fans in Indy.

Cards and letters can be mailed to:
Attention:
Kevin Everett
One Bills Drive
Orchard Park, NY 14127

fansince'76
09-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Thanks for posting this, Indy. I am going to sticky it.

The Duke
09-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Thanks Indy. I'm hoping this guy makes it

Paul Pyrch
09-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Thanks Indy. What a class act!

tony hipchest
09-11-2007, 12:14 AM
the bills are a fine franchise who have provided me with tons (and years) of football enjoyment. even though the steelers face them this week, i will be rooting for 1 bill for sure.

a moment of silence in heinze field before the game would be a great gesture.

Edman
09-11-2007, 03:34 AM
Oh damn...my enthusiasm for next Sunday's game is dampened. Seeing a player get hurt like that takes a lot out of you. Football is fun, but it's also a game. A pretty rough game. This is a human being's life we're talking about.

stillers4me
09-11-2007, 06:08 AM
My sincere thoughts and prayers go out to this young man and his family.

silver & black
09-11-2007, 06:32 AM
I wish him the best of luck. Never mind being able to play football... I hope and pray he can regain his life. This kind of thing always puts a damper on things, no matter who you root for. Get well Kevin... NFL fans across the league are praying for you.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-11-2007, 07:21 AM
Thanks Indy...I sent my well wishes and a small prayer on behalf of the Steelers Nation.
I appreciate you posting this for us.

HometownGal
09-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks Indy. My heart breaks for this young man but the Lord works in mysterious ways. I pray that he leans on his faith and doesn't give up hope that he will come through this and walk again someday. When I heard the prognosis, I immediately thought of Dennis Byrd.

I will definitely keep Kevin and his family in my daily prayers and offer my well wishes and support via the link you provided.

Thanks again. :smile:

X-Terminator
09-11-2007, 10:51 AM
I've just sent along my well wishes...what a truly tragic event. It makes you realize more than anything that football is just a game, and that life is so much more important. I never like seeing anyone get hurt like this, no matter what team he plays for.

Get well soon, Kevin!

steelersfanmx
09-11-2007, 11:05 AM
My well whishes and prayers go to Kevin Everett and his family...

alittlejazzbird
09-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Even though everyone knows the risks of playing in the NFL, none of us, and certainly none of the players, really believes something like this will happen. Thankfully such an occurrence is rare, but a terrible tragedy nonetheless. Here's wishing Kevin Everett strength and courage for the journey ahead.

TroysBadDawg
09-11-2007, 02:27 PM
I hope you don't mind I also just posted the address on the Browns site. And am sending a card from our club, the Troy Area Browns Backers. We get so cought up in our own problems we forget there are others out there with bigger problems. My prayers are for him and his family, I know what this young may and his family are going through. I broke c4 and c5 in a spingboard diving accident. For those that know some about me, yes I am a walking accident and yes the doctors say I have a death wish.

that avatar should read no no "I didn't leave that pile in the corner the cat did, don't put me outside again. it's the cat, really it's the cat."

Preacher
09-11-2007, 02:55 PM
I also posted it on another Brown's site I am on...

Thanks for the link.

tony hipchest
09-11-2007, 06:06 PM
doctors say he moved his arms and legs after sedation was removed today. they are feeling confident he will walk again (possibly walk out of the hospital)

great news for the young man :thumbsup:

TroysBadDawg
09-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Just found this:

Report: Doctor says Everett has voluntary movement of arms, legs

Kevin Everett might walk again after all.

The doctor who performed the spinal surgery on Everett told Buffalo TV station WIVB on Tuesday that Everett has voluntary movement of his arms and legs and as a result he is optimistic that Everett will walk again.

Dr. Andrew Cappuccino told WIVB that Everett's sedation levels were lowered on Tuesday, allowing him to respond to verbal commands. WIVB also reported that Everett's latest MRI shows only a small amount of swelling on his spinal cord.

On Monday, Cappuccino said that Everett sustained a "catastrophic" and life-threatening spinal-cord injury and was unlikely to walk again.

"A best-case scenario is full recovery, but not likely," Cappuccino said Monday. "I believe there will be some permanent neurologic deficit."

Everett was hurt Sunday after he ducked his head while tackling the Denver Broncos' Domenik Hixon during the second-half kickoff. Everett dropped face-first to the ground after his helmet hit Hixon high on the left shoulder and side of the helmet.

On Monday, Cappuccino noted the 25-year-old reserve tight end did have touch sensation throughout his body and also showed signs of movement. But he cautioned that Everett's injury was life-threatening because he was still susceptible to blood clots, infection and breathing failure.

Everett is in the intensive care unit of Buffalo's Millard Fillmore Gates Hospital, where he is under sedation and breathing through a respirator as doctors wait for the swelling to lessen.

Cappuccino repaired a break between the third and fourth vertebrae and also alleviated the pressure on the spinal cord. In reconstructing his spine, doctors made a bone graft and inserted a plate, held in by four screws, and also inserted two small rods, held in place by another four screws.

Doctors, however, weren't able to repair all the damage.

Bills punter Brian Moorman immediately feared the worst when Everett showed no signs of movement as he was placed on a backboard and, with his head and body immobilized, carefully loaded into an ambulance.

"It brought tears to my eyes," Moorman said after practice. He said the sight of Everett's motionless body brought back memories of Mike Utley, the former Detroit Lions guard, who was paralyzed below the chest after injuring his neck in a collision during a 1991 game.

Utley, Moorman recalled, at least was able to give what's become a famous "thumbs up" sign as he was taken off the field. Everett didn't.

"That's what I was waiting for, and that's what everybody else was waiting for," Moorman said. "And to have to walk back to the sideline and not see that made for a tough time."

Utley, who lives in Washington state, was saddened to see replays of Everett's collision.

"I'm sorry this young man got hurt," Utley said. "It wasn't a cheap shot. It was a great form tackle and that's it."

Cappuccino received permission to operate from Everett's mother, Patricia Dugas, who spoke by phone from her home in Houston. She and other family members arrived in Buffalo on Monday. Everett was born in Port Arthur, Texas, and played high school football there.

Buffalo's 2005 third-round draft pick out of Miami, Everett missed his rookie season because of a knee injury. He spent most of last year playing special teams. He was hoping to make an impact as a receiver

I had the link but it will not allow me to post it. but it ESPN

SteelerFanInCA
09-11-2007, 06:44 PM
My prayers are with him and his family.

PAMillerGrrl83
09-11-2007, 09:39 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Glad to hear the docters are optimistic and my thoughts are with Kevin and his family. Hope he has a quick and succesful recovery.

Preacher
09-12-2007, 04:40 AM
It would be absolutely wonderful to see this man walk onto the field one day this season to be the honorary captain for a coin flip. Raise his hands, wave to the crowds...

That would be the nicest thing to see.

Elvis
09-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Nice thread and I hope that all will give him the prayers and thoughts that God above would like for us to have. May God richly bless him and his family.
:thumbsup:

hardlifeca
09-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Prayers are with him and the family

moonvball
09-14-2007, 04:24 PM
You never want to see an injury like this happen to anyone and the reports are sounding better everyday. I too hope that he can walk onto the field before this season is over! My best wishes to Kevin and his family.

Dylan
09-16-2007, 01:05 AM
i just sent my letter that is a great thing to do. hopefully everybody will participate in it

SteelCityMan786
09-16-2007, 11:03 PM
It's unfortunate this happens, but it's good to see he's healing.

fansince'76
09-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Great news: :thumbsup:

Doctors confident Bills' Everett will be walking very soon
Associated Press

BUFFALO, N.Y.-- Kevin Everett's doctor plans to have him stand up on his own soon, and believes the Bills tight end will be walking within weeks - or sooner.

"Soon, in Buffalo or in Houston, they're going to stand him up," Dr. Barth Green told The Associated Press, shortly after discussing Everett's condition with Bills orthopedic surgeon Dr. Andrew Cappuccino. "They're very confident he'll be walking very soon ... in the next days or weeks, not months."

The prognosis is remarkable after Everett arrived at Millard Fillmore Gates Hospital paralyzed from the neck down after being hurt while making a tackle in Buffalo's season opener against Denver on Sept. 9. Doctors initially expressed fears Everett would never walk again.

Green is chairman of the neurological surgery department at the University of Miami school of medicine and has received regular updates from Everett's doctors on the player's progress.

"Now that doesn't mean he'll be walking normally, but standing up and holding his own weight," Green said. "I think the future for him is very bright."

Despite numerous requests, the Bills have provided few regular updates of Everett's status since he was hurt and were not immediately available for comment Thursday.

Everett is expected to be transferred to a hospital in Houston by this weekend to begin the next step of his rehabilitation. Everett makes his offseason home in Houston, where many of his family members and friends live.

Green suggested Houston would be the best place to move Everett because it's important for the player to have his family and friends nearby.

Everett was strong enough to sit up on his own in his hospital bed this week.

NFL Players' Association executive director Gene Upshaw and NFLPA president Troy Vincent, a former teammate of Everett's in Buffalo, were scheduled to visit the player Thursday.

Kevin Everett (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80285e54&template=without-video&confirm=true)

MasterOfPuppets
09-20-2007, 10:21 PM
awesome news....:thumbsup:

GBMelBlount
09-20-2007, 10:29 PM
Amazing. Thank God.

HometownGal
09-20-2007, 10:46 PM
Where there is a will, there is a way! :thumbsup:

Miracles happen if you believe!

Preacher
09-21-2007, 03:20 AM
Wow... God bless him.

wardislord
09-21-2007, 02:15 PM
its great to hear that he is doing better. i wish all the best for him

SteelersMongol
09-21-2007, 11:16 PM
God will bless you, K.E.!

83-Steelers-43
09-29-2007, 09:59 AM
This is just bad.......

V0KmjqabDUU&feature=bz301

The Duke
09-29-2007, 10:12 AM
This is just bad.......

V0KmjqabDUU&feature=bz301

:jawdrop: That's just so wrong, this network's got some problems with editing.

Livinginthe past
09-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Yup, seen that one PFT.

I laughed - a guilty laugh...but a laugh nonetheless.

"He moved his arms and legs today...."

I know the guys at PFT agonized over whether to post it (yeah for about 3 milliseconds!) - but i'm glad they did.

To even out my karma i'll send some more positive thoughts to Kevin Everett.