PDA

View Full Version : 4th and short...

RoethlisBURGHer
09-11-2007, 10:49 AM
...and Mike Tomlin decides to go for it instead of punting.

I loved that playcall against the Browns. Cowher never would have done it, he would have punted, giving the Browns momentum.

I liked the agressive playcalling. When it came time for that big desicision, Tomlin didn't back down and go all conservative.

:tt02:

Tankus_Maximus
09-11-2007, 11:22 AM

I loved that playcall against the Browns. Cowher never would have done it, he would have punted, giving the Browns momentum.

I liked the agressive playcalling. When it came time for that big desicision, Tomlin didn't back down and go all conservative.

Yup, gotta agree with you there. There's a new sheriff in town, with a new attitude!

It's refreshing, to say the least!

onthebus36
09-11-2007, 11:27 AM
I agree.

During the Eagles game, their rush was getting to us in the first quarter so we switched to quick slants and screens. I couldn't help but think Cowher would have continued to pound the rock. That was the first big indicator to me that there was a new flexibility with the team's coaching.

jjpro11
09-11-2007, 11:34 AM
how do you know what cowher would have done? he was an aggressive coach himself. these hypothetical cowher-tomlin comparisons are understandable, but rather silly.

alittlejazzbird
09-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Forgive my somewhat jaundiced eye, but we'll see how aggressive Coach (or Arians, assuming Tomlin means what he says about letting them do their jobs) is on a 4th and short against, say, Baltimore or New England, if we're trailing in the game. Go for it there, and that's impressive.

We had the Browns in hand from our very first possession. Going for it on fourth down was a much easier decision and it twisted the knife a little, which is always nice. I'm glad they did it too, but still.

Counselor
09-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Forgive my somewhat jaundiced eye, but we'll see how aggressive Coach (or Arians, assuming Tomlin means what he says about letting them do their jobs) is on a 4th and short against, say, Baltimore or New England, if we're trailing in the game. Go for it there, and that's impressive.

We had the Browns in hand from our very first possession. Going for it on fourth down was a much easier decision and it twisted the knife a little, which is always nice. I'm glad they did it too, but still.

Of course it depends on the situation. It depends on the lead, on how much you trust your defense on a given day, on where you are on the field. Going for it on fourth and inches can be stupid, not impressive, in some situations no matter who you are playing--so forgive me, but I would not say that whether or not Tomlin goes for 4th and inches against the Ravens (who didn't look very good last night) or New England will tell us if Tomlin is gutsy.

BlastFurnace
09-11-2007, 12:37 PM
I don't know what Cowher would have done, but what I did love about this was the confident look on Tomlin's eye when the camera caught him at the moment he said "go for it". There was no hesitation and a belief that the players he has coached could get the job done.

SteelerFanInCA
09-11-2007, 01:16 PM
That was a great call by Tomlin. Cowher probably would have punted the ball away.

Preacher
09-11-2007, 01:55 PM
I don't know what Cowher would have done, but what I did love about this was the confident look on Tomlin's eye when the camera caught him at the moment he said "go for it". There was no hesitation and a belief that the players he has coached could get the job done.

Cowher would have punted it.

Yeah, Tomlin looked like he already decided what to do, before the situation had really came up.

What I liked was the killer instinct. We are up by what was it, 10 at the time? Tomlin's idea was to finish the game right there, in the second quarter. Put up the extra points, bury the Browns, and then just smack them the rest of the game.

DACEB
09-11-2007, 02:02 PM

For someone like myself that could not watch the game, that doesn't get the local Burgh coverage, this is the priceless information that I crave.

BlastFurnace
09-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Cowher would have punted it.

Yeah, Tomlin looked like he already decided what to do, before the situation had really came up.

What I liked was the killer instinct. We are up by what was it, 10 at the time? Tomlin's idea was to finish the game right there, in the second quarter. Put up the extra points, bury the Browns, and then just smack them the rest of the game.

You know...Bill did surprise us.....every once in a while :>).

GeneralRobinson
09-11-2007, 04:05 PM
There was that 4th and short against New England in the 1st quarter of the 2004 AFCC Game that Bettis was stuffed on. Good times, good times.:(

Preacher
09-11-2007, 04:57 PM
You know...Bill did surprise us.....every once in a while :>).

Too true. But his going for it, was ALWAYS a run up the middle, either by Bettis or by the QB on a sneak.

RJC
09-12-2007, 08:09 AM
While it was nice to see them go for it on the 2nd attempt, the time to do it was the first one earlier in the game. 4th and inches, with a 6'5" 240 lbs QB, you put your foot down and go....

Elvis
09-12-2007, 08:45 AM
I am proud of coach Tomlin and I look forward to the years ahead of us as him being our head coach. I think that the Rooneys have made the right move gettting him as our headcoach and not just because of this one play call, but the enthusiasm that our players are showing shows me that someone is doing their job in the right way this year.

JackHammer
09-13-2007, 12:53 AM
Didn't Cowher do that twice against the Colts in the playoffs????

suprasad
09-13-2007, 01:15 AM

How many times during the BC era did we build up a 27-point lead, then he would have the D turtle up, and the final score had us win by 6?!?! That used to drive me CRAZY! I want every game to be a 4-TD blowout!

Seriously, though, I strongly believe that a team should never give away its own momentum, and it looks like MT agrees...:tt02:

Sudesh

KOMMANDO
09-13-2007, 01:52 AM
The biggest difference in this years team is the attitude difference and players knowing they ar eplaying for their jobs. No more "these are my guys" regardless of there current performance level etc. tomlin is no nonsense and al business and the players have really responded to that. A fresh start is great for this squad.

Haiku_Dirtt
09-13-2007, 03:57 AM
I liked the agressive playcalling. When it came time for that big desicision

And this is hopefully not just a good time to take advantage of a 17 point lead. I strongly believe MT is projecting what is becoming (or always has been) fundamental in his approach to the game.

The last time I witnessed intently this kind of (potentially) fundamental change is when Pete Carroll took not only the head coaching job at USC but eventually took control of everything football at Tailback U. Truly no small feat with that superangry hyper-egomaniac Mike Garrett in control of athletic operations.

PC made going on fourth down POLICY and did it without reluctance. The players like it. The fans LOVE IT. And the opponent eventually found this inconvenience not only annoying but fatal.

The ever so not slight difference is this is not the NCAA. And having more weapons than the DOD also makes life-threatening fourth down calls a lot easier. But in YEAR ONE and GAME ONE...

hell yeah...let's be stoked. And no knock on BC but rather a recognition by MT that we must change with the changes in the workforce or find a spot in the unemployment line.

Galax Steeler
09-13-2007, 04:52 AM
I am glad Tomlin made the call on 4th and inches and we made it but if we didn't make it everybody would have thought that was a stupid call on tomlins part.

Steel Pit
09-13-2007, 05:54 AM
Too true. But his going for it, was ALWAYS a run up the middle, either by Bettis or by the QB on a sneak.

And it was usually STUFFED!

DACEB
09-13-2007, 09:09 AM
There was that 4th and short against New England in the 1st quarter of the 2004 AFCC Game that Bettis was stuffed on. Good times, good times.:(

We now know how they stuffed the play, they knew the play.

GBMelBlount
09-13-2007, 09:34 AM
How many times during the BC era did we build up a 27-point lead, then he would have the D turtle up, and the final score had us win by 6?!?! That used to drive me CRAZY! I want every game to be a 4-TD blowout!

Seriously, though, I strongly believe that a team should never give away its own momentum, and it looks like MT agrees...:tt02:

Sudesh

It is frustrating to see leads evaporate & momentum shift.

Also, IMO we'll know what Tomlin is truly made of by his decision making in more critical situations. Yes, every game is critical, but given the circumstances on his 4th and short call, I personally felt it wasn't as difficult a decision to make as it might be in a close game against Baltimore (as jazz stated) perhaps with the playoffs on the line, etc.