PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin focuses on penalties

83-Steelers-43
09-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Steelers' Tomlin focuses on penalties
By The Tribune-Review
Tuesday, September 11, 2007

On what the Steelers need to improve upon for their game against the Buffalo Bills:

"We've got to do a better job from a penalty standpoint. Pre-snap penalties and post-snap penalties are not a sign of a good football team, so we've got to get better in that area in a hurry."

On his self-evaluation from his first NFL game as a head coach:

"I grade myself on wins and losses, so I gave myself a passing grade. Was I perfect? Absolutely not. But I'm my worst critic."

On Bills starting linebacker Paul Posluszny, who is a Hopewell High and Penn State graduate:

"To be an opening day starter as a rookie speaks for itself. His best football is ahead of him. He's a pretty good football player right now."

On Ben Roethlisberger getting off to a good start this season:

"I know that Ben has had a heck of an offseason, and I know it's what he expected. He's a very good football player. He's going to get better."

On whether he watched the Ravens-Bengals game Monday night:

"It was on, but so was my video machine, and I didn't see much other than a few celebrations by (Bengals wideout) Chad Johnson and (Ravens safety) Ed Reed. Monday evening is a work day for us."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_526917.html

Preacher
09-12-2007, 01:22 AM
Steelers' Tomlin focuses on penalties
By The Tribune-Review
Tuesday, September 11, 2007

On what the Steelers need to improve upon for their game against the Buffalo Bills:

"We've got to do a better job from a penalty standpoint. Pre-snap penalties and post-snap penalties are not a sign of a good football team, so we've got to get better in that area in a hurry."

On his self-evaluation from his first NFL game as a head coach:

"I grade myself on wins and losses, so I gave myself a passing grade. Was I perfect? Absolutely not. But I'm my worst critic."

On Bills starting linebacker Paul Posluszny, who is a Hopewell High and Penn State graduate:

"To be an opening day starter as a rookie speaks for itself. His best football is ahead of him. He's a pretty good football player right now."

On Ben Roethlisberger getting off to a good start this season:

"I know that Ben has had a heck of an offseason, and I know it's what he expected. He's a very good football player. He's going to get better."

On whether he watched the Ravens-Bengals game Monday night:

"It was on, but so was my video machine, and I didn't see much other than a few celebrations by (Bengals wideout) Chad Johnson and (Ravens safety) Ed Reed. Monday evening is a work day for us."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_526917.html

We have to get better in a hurry? Because of a couple of penalties?

Dang. I like this guy. You KNOW that there was a list of people today that made "The news!"

Galax Steeler
09-12-2007, 03:35 AM
I didn't get to watch the game but I don't think we had that many penalties.

vasteeler
09-12-2007, 11:19 AM
I loved the monday evenings are work days for us:tt02:

onthebus36
09-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Focus.
Attention to detail.
Solid emphasis on fundamentals.
Refusing to accept mediocrity.
Acheiving the right mix of aggression, intelligence, and discipline.

Those are emerging as the hallmarks of Mike Tomlin football.

Dino 6 Rings
09-12-2007, 11:30 AM
I agree, I absolutely love Tomlin as head coach. He's always going to say "we can do better" even after a drubbing of our "arch rival" on opening day.

His passion, fire, and respect for the game, is an injection of adreneline that this team desperately needed. The core of the team is in place from winning a superbowl, some new leaders are stepping up and Tomlin is just the medicine we required to rejuevinate the enthusiasm for winning again.

memphissteelergirl
09-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Focus.
Attention to detail.
Solid emphasis on fundamentals.
Refusing to accept mediocrity.
Acheiving the right mix of aggression, intelligence, and discipline.

Those are emerging as the hallmarks of Mike Tomlin football.

Hear, here!

Dino 6 Rings
09-12-2007, 11:33 AM
One penalty that stood out to me, was Ward taking a personal foul penalty for a late hit on a block after the runner was down. We don't need "cheap" shots to win games. He's a hard player, and he's going to go hard through the whistle, but last year we had too many of those penalties at key moments, and this year Tomlin should not, and I have a feeling, will not look the other way on those. 15 yeard personal fouls are killers in big games.

fansince'76
09-12-2007, 11:41 AM
One penalty that stood out to me, was Ward taking a personal foul penalty for a late hit on a block after the runner was down. We don't need "cheap" shots to win games. He's a hard player, and he's going to go hard through the whistle, but last year we had too many of those penalties at key moments, and this year Tomlin should not, and I have a feeling, will not look the other way on those. 15 yeard personal fouls are killers in big games.

I personally thought that call was EXTREMELY borderline. I didn't hear a whistle.

Elvis
09-12-2007, 12:11 PM
I agree... I think that the play could have been looked over or could have been called as it was. I just think that Hines is so into his game and punishing people that he gets excited sometimes.
:tt02:

aries4972
09-12-2007, 12:14 PM
I personally thought that call was EXTREMELY borderline. I didn't hear a whistle.
i would agree... Hines may have been a hair late on thet but thats his stye of play and I for one will take that 15yrds if it comes from a player giving their best effort as Hines always does..

Dino 6 Rings
09-12-2007, 12:38 PM
I love Ward, its just hits like that, "borderline" or "late" could cost the team 15 yards at a bad time in a key game. If you allow that penalty to be over looked, or tell Ward, "its ok, I didn't hear the whistle either" you're dooming yourself to late hits by other players.

Last year that plagued our team as much as Ben's interceptions. Late hits, 15 yard penalties must be prevented. Tomlin will surely address this with Ward. Not in a negative way, more along "Keep your head in the game, listen for the whistle, be a professional on every play." kind of way. Just a reminder that its a bad thing to start doing or thinking you can get away with.

fansince'76
09-12-2007, 12:42 PM
I love Ward, its just hits like that, "borderline" or "late" could cost the team 15 yards at a bad time in a key game. If you allow that penalty to be over looked, or tell Ward, "its ok, I didn't hear the whistle either" you're dooming yourself to late hits by other players.

Last year that plagued our team as much as Ben's interceptions. Late hits, 15 yard penalties must be prevented. Tomlin will surely address this with Ward. Not in a negative way, more along "Keep your head in the game, listen for the whistle, be a professional on every play." kind of way. Just a reminder that its a bad thing to start doing or thinking you can get away with.

I hear you, Dino. Personally, I can live with penalties like the one Hines received much more easily than the STUPID celebration penalties that cost us 15 yards several times last year. I can live with aggressive penalties, not boneheaded celebration penalties. However, like Tomlin, I would prefer to see no penalties at all.

Dino 6 Rings
09-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Fansince76

Totally agree, those gosh darn celebration penalties make me insane. Nothing like a big stop on 3rd down being negated by a taunting penalty or a first down being brought back 15 yards for excessive celebration. They make me nuts.

Preacher
09-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Fansince76

Totally agree, those gosh darn celebration penalties make me insane. Nothing like a big stop on 3rd down being negated by a taunting penalty or a first down being brought back 15 yards for excessive celebration. They make me nuts.

Hey Dino...

I understand what your saying...

But I will tell you this... I would much rather take a 15 yard penalty for a late hit, then the delay of game penalty we took because the ball was thrown after a first down by the receiver.

I know, you said those kind of penalties drive you nuts as well.

So I think we are in agreement... Let em get a 15 yarder or two because of aggression, as long as we don't get the celebration or mental error penalties.

Dino 6 Rings
09-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Preacher, I can totally see your point in wanting agression. I just got so tired of it last year all alround with the yellow flags. Even Troy P got a couple 15 yarders last year and it seemed to be a total lack of dicipline on the entire team more than anything else.

The Celebration penalties are inexcusable and I will throw my "fake" brick at the tv everytime I see us flagged for one of those.

The 15 yards for agressive play is ok, as long as its not too often and doesn't become a trend that the refs start looking for from our players.

Edman
09-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Tomlin is right. The Steelers were awesome, but they could've done better. We left several points out there. The WR drops, Willie's fumble...

Tomlin wants the full effort out of this team. He wants a smart, focused, aggressive team with some fire and intensity on O and D. I'm sold on Tomlin. One thing that alarmed me was when he came in, he wanted to mold this team around the strengths of the players. Not force them into hs own schemes and philosophy. Not establish an "identity". The 3-4 was the staple of the Steelers Defense for years. Tomlin's a 4-3 guy. But what did he do? He kept Lebeau and uncuffed him. Now DL can work the Defense anyway he pleases. Those little things are what makes me glad Tomlin is the Steelers coach.

Of course, wait until our first loss...

yinzer-inseattle
09-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Tomlin is going to keep these guys amped-up for the duration. If any team will deserve a vacation at the end of the season it will be the Steelers. Hopefully, that break will not come until mid February.