PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Regret Not Taking Posluszny?

Elvis
09-13-2007, 06:03 PM
I just wondered what everyone was thinking about this situation of not taking him over Timmons. Posluszny looks pretty dang good for the Bills right now... lets hear what ya'll think
:tt02:

Sharkissle29
09-13-2007, 06:06 PM
i wanted him....

MasterOfPuppets
09-13-2007, 06:07 PM
lets see.....poz is on the field playing like a vet.....timmons is on special teams....:coffee:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-13-2007, 06:10 PM
I know this is kind of a wuss out answer, but I still feel it is to early to compare the two. Maybe at the end of the season we could get a broader look at what the two have done for their teams. If I am forced though to pick one now, I would probably go with Posluszney only because of Timmons' injuries.

manheimcentralmagic
09-13-2007, 06:20 PM
Poz is a player that a fan can appreciate, especially a Steelers fan who likes the whole "just do your job" approach. And Poz did that for 4 yrs and PSU and is now doing it in the NFL. I was very upset that the Steelers did not pick him and I give the Bills credit for taking him!

slippy
09-13-2007, 06:25 PM
it's WAY to early to tell. i didn't like the timmons pick either, but let's give it a year or two. i know everyone remembers how great kendrell bell was at first...you know the rest.

Mosca
09-13-2007, 06:31 PM
I don't think so. The Bills NEED Poz to start for them; we don't need Timmons to start for us. Other than an injury which couldn't be predicted, if the Bills had Timmons instead, he'd be starting for them. And Poz would be lining up on kickoffs for us. And this thread would be titled, "Steelers regret not taking Timmons?"

Tom

lilyoder6
09-13-2007, 06:33 PM
not really i think poz could of started olb over harrison during training camp-preseason

jjpro11
09-13-2007, 06:35 PM
i wanted him more than anyone in the entire draft. but we have to give timmons time before anyone can make a fair assessment of that selection.

Hammer67
09-13-2007, 06:46 PM
I was amazed they also drafted a TE and passed on Tony Hunt. Another TE????

Poz would look REAL good in the Black and Gold. He even said it was where he wanted to go...

GBMelBlount
09-13-2007, 06:47 PM
I don't think so. The Bills NEED Poz to start for them; we don't need Timmons to start for us. Other than an injury which couldn't be predicted, if the Bills had Timmons instead, he'd be starting for them. And Poz would be lining up on kickoffs for us. And this thread would be titled, "Steelers regret not taking Timmons?"

Tom

Now that was funny! Just curious, who was generally rated higher in draft? Also, I had heard that Timmons might be better suited for our defensive style. Thoughts anyone?

Preacher
09-13-2007, 06:52 PM

Tom

Now that is smart post...

Stlrs4Life
09-13-2007, 06:54 PM
It is early, but still would have loved to have Poz as a Steeler. I am a Penn St. fan also.

verks36
09-13-2007, 07:08 PM

Tom

good point Mosca like you cant rag on Timmons for not starting because the steelers have one of the best linebacking cores in the league it would have been a complete shock of Timmons took over the starting Job from on of them. Plus add the fact that was injured during preseason. Also we didnt draft Timmons for right the present we drafted him for the future so lets wait. Dont forget the kid only started one year at FSU.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Poz is playing good on a team that's not very good that needed him to start.

Timmons is playing ST on a team that had Harrison pegged in as the ROLB starter.

Timmons was a first round draft pick.

Poz is a second round draft pick. If he was so highly regarded, he wouldn't have slipped.

delhess
09-13-2007, 07:26 PM
he, i loved watching poz at beaver stadium, it just ain't the same w/o poslusny's posse in the front row.

we'll have to have this conversation in 3 years to know for sure, but i was sad to see them pass. the great thing about finding unnoticed talent is that you don't end up with a bunch of egos on your team.

fansince'76
09-13-2007, 07:59 PM
we'll have to have this conversation in 3 years to know for sure....

Exactly. I doubt the Steelers are regretting the selection of one player over another a full one game into each player's respective NFL careers. :coffee:

RJC
09-13-2007, 09:19 PM
Well, my draft wish list for pick #15 was Adam Carriker. Seeing as though he wasn't there, I wanted us to trade down and take Posluzny. The jury is still out of Timmons, but he just doesn't seam like an ideal fit for what we do within the confines of our defensive system. There aren't many 6'0" 230 lb 3-4 OLBs for a reason. People try and compare him to Greg Lloyd being as though they are similiar sized, but forget to take into account that when Greg Lloyd was drafted and in his prime there were very few 300+ lb O-Lineman. Never mind the 6'6" 340 lb behemoths of todays NFL....

RoethlisBURGHer
09-14-2007, 12:19 AM
Well, my draft wish list for pick #15 was Adam Carriker. Seeing as though he wasn't there, I wanted us to trade down and take Posluzny. The jury is still out of Timmons, but he just doesn't seam like an ideal fit for what we do within the confines of our defensive system. There aren't many 6'0" 230 lb 3-4 OLBs for a reason. People try and compare him to Greg Lloyd being as though they are similiar sized, but forget to take into account that when Greg Lloyd was drafted and in his prime there were very few 300+ lb O-Lineman. Never mind the 6'6" 340 lb behemoths of todays NFL....

Not to mention that Lloyd played pissed off every down.

However, maybe they are planning on using Timmons in coverage more often...if so you need a more athletic LB.

jjpro11
09-14-2007, 12:30 AM

However, maybe they are planning on using Timmons in coverage more often...if so you need a more athletic LB.

i thought we brought timmons in for his pass rushing ability more than anything? the guy who had the better instincts was Poz.

Preacher
09-14-2007, 12:43 AM

yep...

They actually had him line up as a CB.. and he STAYED with his receiver!!

KOMMANDO
09-14-2007, 12:58 AM
I know Poz was a good player at Homer PSU but The steelers did not need another ILB. Poz would be sitting the bench right now and playing ST's etc. it's about needs and long term potential wise. Timmons has more speed, is a betterpash rusher and a better overall athlete than POZ. Give it 2 years form now and then let's compare them.

Michael Keller
09-14-2007, 03:02 AM
Poz would have been a tremdendous Steeler. He is a combination of Jack Ham and Andy Russell with every possible intanagible. Paul is certain to be at least a very good player and possibly a great player, perennial all pro. Timmon may also be a great player but he also may be a bust. Timmons does not have the back ground of exp[erience and what little I have seen of him I noticed he can not shed blocks and appears to be physically overmatched. In fairness to him we must give him much more time because he is a Steeler and Poz is not.

Galax Steeler
09-14-2007, 03:41 AM
I think timmons will be fine he just has to get playing time where he was out with his injury.He is making some good plays on special teams if he can do that then he can do it playing deffense.

RJC
09-14-2007, 06:05 AM
Jacm Hamm said "Poz" was the best LB to ever play at Penn St. Think about some of the guys that have played there, then get back to me. Bottom line is that "Poz" is gonna be a helluva player for a long time. Let's hope we get the same from Timmons....

IamTheSteelGod
09-14-2007, 06:11 AM
it's WAY to early to tell. i didn't like the timmons pick either, but let's give it a year or two. i know everyone remembers how great kendrell bell was at first...you know the rest.

Hit the nail right on the head and took the words right out of my mouth! Anyway it's not like Jimbo played shit in the first game is it.

The Duke
09-14-2007, 06:51 AM
I think the general consensus in this thread is we needed a pass rushing LB and not an inside LB that won't get so many pass rushing situations and will, just like timmons, be sitting on the bench and playing ST.

I like this Timmons pick, we haven't seen much from him, but I'll wait to see how he develops to have a real opinion on him, same thing por Poz. :cheers:

FourThreeMafia
09-14-2007, 07:10 AM
How did I know people would make this argument? Poz is already starting in Buffalo and Timmons is only on special teams...so Poz MUST be better, right?

Wrong. While Im not saying Timmons is better, you cant say Poz is better after one game.

Poz went to a team that was not nearly as talented in the front 7. We had James Harrison waiting in the wings to take over. The Steelers drafted Timmons to bring versatility to the defense. A player that could play in both the 3-4 and 4-3. With his injury, he was also at a disadvantage.

Also, while Poz was much more polished coming out of college, Timmons has much more upside. If the Steelers were in the Bills position where they needed an immediate replacement, Poz wouldve been the better selection. As it is, I think Timmons could pay off much better. He just turned 21 so he has a long time to progress.

Poz could end up being better, but at this point its stupid to question it. Two different situations. 4 or 5 years, we can talk about it.

Buzz05
09-14-2007, 07:34 AM
I wanted Poz from the get go. He is a consument team player and gives all out. Other then his knee injury he has been healthy and a wrecking ball. And for JoePa to compare Poz to Shane Conlin...that may be the biggest compliment any LB from Penn State could get. In the eyes of many many PSU fans Conlin was the best Penn State had to offer from Linebacker U. To me Poz will always be the complete package and I wish him well with his homecoming this week.

However, Im not going to go against the Rooney's, they have shown year after year they know what they are doing. I feel Timmons fits the system better with his speed where as Poz doesnt have the side line to side line speed of Timmons...Poz just has the instincts.

RJC
09-14-2007, 07:50 AM
However, Im not going to go against the Rooney's, they have shown year after year they know what they are doing.

I see what you're trying to say here, but let's not get crazy. Do the names Jamain Stephens, Scott Shields, Troy Edwards, Alonzo Jackson, or Jeremy Staat mean anything to you? I could go on, but I think you get the point.....:dang:

X-Terminator
09-14-2007, 07:56 AM
And then some people question why I say Steelers fans have no patience :shake01: Do I need any more proof than this thread?

Buzz05
09-14-2007, 08:30 AM
I see what you're trying to say here, but let's not get crazy. Do the names Jamain Stephens, Scott Shields, Troy Edwards, Alonzo Jackson, or Jeremy Staat mean anything to you? I could go on, but I think you get the point.....:dang:

I get the point but how many players have the Rooneys drafted that became stars...it dramatically out numbers the busts. All Im saying is we wont know about Tommins until he is given an opportunity to prove himself. Poz is a home town kid...there will always be people who wished he was a Steeler. Me included. But all Im saying is give Timmons a chance.

Counselor
09-14-2007, 08:33 AM
Poz went to a team that was not nearly as talented in the front 7. We had James Harrison waiting in the wings to take over. The Steelers drafted Timmons to bring versatility to the defense. A player that could play in both the 3-4 and 4-3. With his injury, he was also at a disadvantage.

Also, while Poz was much more polished coming out of college, Timmons has much more upside.

Thank you, my thoughts exactly. Timmons could be starting on the Bills right now. Its like comparing the players or the teams they went to is like comparing apples to oranges.

DACEB
09-14-2007, 09:19 AM
The Steelers drafted Timmons to bring versatility to the defense. A player that could play in both the 3-4 and 4-3.

Exactly, even though both could probably play inside or outside, Timmons is much more veratile because of his speed (sideline to sideline & coverage) and outside pass rushing (blitzing) ability. Add to that the fact that he hits like a truck.

Give it time this guy will prove his worth.

fansince'76
09-14-2007, 09:27 AM

Do the names Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Franco Harris, Terry Bradshaw, Mel Blount, Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, Mike Webster, Dermontti Dawson or Rod Woodson mean anything to you? I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. That point being that the draft is a crapshoot, and the Rooneys (Dan in particular) have historically bet right more often than bet wrong.

IA Stiller
09-14-2007, 12:56 PM
Just out of curiosity...How many Poz backers watched many FSU games? :stirthepot:

OneForTheToe
09-14-2007, 01:39 PM
In order to make some Steelers fans happy, I think the following players should be drafted or signed as rookie free agents next year. :wink02:

Terrell Golden WR Sr. Penn State
Mark Rubin S Sr. Penn State
Tony Davis S Sr. Penn State
Anthony Morelli QB Sr. Penn State (should start right away)
Rodney Kinlaw TB Sr Penn State (will only fumble once every 1000 carries) :wink02:
Brendan Perretta WR Sr. Penn State (Hine's who?)
Dan Connor ILB Sr. Penn State (makes up for Poz)
Tyrell Sales LB Sr. Penn State
Mike Lucian OL Sr. Penn State
Austin Hinton OG Sr. Penn State
Chris Mauriello LB Sr. Penn State
A.Q. Shipley C Sr. Penn State
Patrick Weber C Sr. Penn State
Greg Miskinis TE Sr. Penn State
Joe Hughes K Sr. Penn State
Chris Rogers DE Sr. Penn State

This should finally satisfy those who still think we would have made the Super Bowl if we would have just drafted Michael Robinson last year. :wave:

Virginia Steeler
09-14-2007, 01:59 PM
they've each played one game....bring this topic back up to us in 10 years.

Buzz05
09-14-2007, 02:29 PM
In order to make some Steelers fans happy, I think the following players should be drafted or signed as rookie free agents next year. :wink02:

Terrell Golden WR Sr. Penn State
Mark Rubin S Sr. Penn State
Tony Davis S Sr. Penn State
Anthony Morelli QB Sr. Penn State (should start right away)
Rodney Kinlaw TB Sr Penn State (will only fumble once every 1000 carries) :wink02:
Brendan Perretta WR Sr. Penn State (Hine's who?)
Dan Connor ILB Sr. Penn State (makes up for Poz)
Tyrell Sales LB Sr. Penn State
Mike Lucian OL Sr. Penn State
Austin Hinton OG Sr. Penn State
Chris Mauriello LB Sr. Penn State
A.Q. Shipley C Sr. Penn State
Patrick Weber C Sr. Penn State
Greg Miskinis TE Sr. Penn State
Joe Hughes K Sr. Penn State
Chris Rogers DE Sr. Penn State

This should finally satisfy those who still think we would have made the Super Bowl if we would have just drafted Michael Robinson last year. :wave:

If you want dan Connor and Tony Davis I would gladly take them. They are good players. Connor could be better then Poz when its all said and done. And yeah your right. I wanted M-Rob last year too rather then have his waste away out in San Fran...but then again thats just me....I like to se potential in players that could help fill big gaping holes at positions and replace departed players...After all M-Rob is pretty much a younger stronger Radle El...but I must be a fool for wanting him on the team :dang:

CanadianSteel
09-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Last time I recall this much controversy about passing on a local guy in the draft was passing up Antonio Bryant for Randel El.

I think that one turned out advantage Steelers !

However Saying that - Poz does seem like a player for sure while Timmons value is still to be determined.

Fence - yes I will sit on it for now.

Dino 6 Rings
09-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Just out of curiosity...How many Poz backers watched many FSU games? :stirthepot:

This is a great point. Florida State is a Defensive Player machine. McFadden (you know the rookie who broke up the pass in the end zone on 2nd down that Manning threw to his main man after the Bettis fumble) is from FSU. Florida State has great talent, and even though some of the...well I can't even type the name of the school...but its initials are P S and something else...want Poz because they are homers and want the local talent, you have to think big picture. And big picture, Timmons fills multiple needs, not just the inside linebacker position.

RJC
09-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Do the names Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Franco Harris, Terry Bradshaw, Mel Blount, Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, Mike Webster, Dermontti Dawson or Rod Woodson mean anything to you? I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. That point being that the draft is a crapshoot, and the Rooneys (Dan in particular) have historically bet right more often than bet wrong.

Um, that was like, 30+ years ago. We're at now, now. Everything that's happening now is happening now......::jumper:

nicesteel4life
09-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Poz would have been a tremdendous Steeler. He is a combination of Jack Ham and Andy Russell with every possible intanagible. Paul is certain to be at least a very good player and possibly a great player, perennial all pro. Timmon may also be a great player but he also may be a bust. Timmons does not have the back ground of exp[erience and what little I have seen of him I noticed he can not shed blocks and appears to be physically overmatched. In fairness to him we must give him much more time because he is a Steeler and Poz is not.

To be honest in todays NFL, I'm sorry to say it that alot of the old Steelers would of been mediocre. Yes I loved them and Yes they were a force back then, todays NFl is WAY WAY Diffrent. But as I said I love my old Steelers! Just a true statement. You look at alot of the sizes they were back then they would of been in many diffrent positions, specially on Defense.

fansince'76
09-14-2007, 10:07 PM
Um, that was like, 30+ years ago. We're at now, now. Everything that's happening now is happening now......::jumper:

The Dermontti Dawson and Rod Woodson picks were 30 years ago? Not quite. Besides, Troy hasn't been a bust either, has he, and that's VERY recent. Like I said - the draft is a crapshoot - sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

tony hipchest
09-14-2007, 10:28 PM
To be honest in todays NFL, I'm sorry to say it that alot of the old Steelers would of been mediocre. Yes I loved them and Yes they were a force back then, todays NFl is WAY WAY Diffrent. But as I said I love my old Steelers! Just a true statement. You look at alot of the sizes they were back then they would of been in many diffrent positions, specially on Defense.
in todays nfl the old steelers would be bigger, meaner, stronger, faster, and healthier.

they would crush any of todays opponents.

Preacher
09-14-2007, 11:38 PM
People...

1 game. JUST ONE GAME has been played and Timmons DID contribute on ST.

Give the guy, the team, and the Rooney's a break!

ShutDown24
09-14-2007, 11:53 PM
I just wondered what everyone was thinking about this situation of not taking him over Timmons. Posluszny looks pretty dang good for the Bills right now... lets hear what ya'll think

No I don't think so... If Timmons is a good player who is injured all the time it can't be called out as the teams fault because he didn't have that history in college and there was no way to know. If he is just a bad player then yeah obviously they should have taken POZ... But I have full trust in Tomlin and think barring to many injuries Timmons will turn out to be a very good player.

nwksteeler
09-15-2007, 12:04 AM
IMO the Steelers knew what they were getting the kid just turned 21 they see tremendous potential in him. Maybe they think Poz is at his ceiling. I also liked Poz more at draft time because I felt like he fit the Steeler mold.

Preacher
09-15-2007, 12:48 AM
IMO the Steelers knew what they were getting the kid just turned 21 they see tremendous potential in him. Maybe they think Poz is at his ceiling. I also liked Poz more at draft time because I felt like he fit the Steeler mold.

The kid just turned 21... which means he will just START to fill out now. That kid is going to be a monster.

tony hipchest
09-15-2007, 01:09 AM
regret?

yeah. posluszny is so great, the steelers regret not trading UP to get him.

the steelers and 31 other teams had him rated below the player they took in the 1st round.

i realize he's from penn state, but the bellyaching over the 1st pick being used on timmons is rediculous. why spend a 1st round pick on a consencus 2nd round graded player when we can go out and try to get 1st round talent?

if anything the steelers woulda traded UP in the 2nd round to draft paul if they wanted him. instead they took woodley.

to answer the question, the steelers have absolutely no regret about not taking paul. not yet anyways. perhaps in 5-10 years they might, but if thats the case so might 31 other teams.

Big7BenHOF
09-15-2007, 01:41 AM
Still too early.

Edman
09-15-2007, 01:49 AM
Timmons was drafted to be groomed into our Defense and inject some youth in the LB core. He and Woodley are the future. Harrison and Haggans are now. Poz on the other hand is a rookie drafted to contribute right away in a not as talented front seven. You know Buffalo cut Takeo Spikes right before Poz was drafted right?

Ask this question in another 3 years. I bet next year the Steelers will draft some ILB's and shore up the defense even more.

MasterOfPuppets
09-15-2007, 02:31 AM
here's the way i see it.... poz has been a consistent tackling machine lber in college for 3 years. sophmore 104 tackles,junior 116,senior 116. he's set a school record at penn state which, is known as linebacker U.(372 tackles). he's not a shawn merriman pass rush guy. he's more of an urlacher , james farrior type of linebacker.doesn't get the glory , but yet show's up every week. i seen him as being a "safe" pic, and what you seen of him in college is what your gonna get in pro's. a consistent all pro run stopper . he may not have been a top 20 pick, but he will not be a bust.

timmons has 1 year under his belt as a college starter. i can't recall the stats on 1 year college starters moving on to the nfl, but i do remember the % of one year wonder busts was "unsettling". .timmons may turn out to be the next greg lloyd....or he may be the next alonzo jackson.

fansince'76
09-15-2007, 02:33 AM
timmons has 1 year under his belt as a college starter. i can't recall the stats on 1 year college starters moving on to the nfl, but i do remember the % of one year wonder busts was "unsettling". .timmons may turn out to be the next greg lloyd....or he may be the next alonzo jackson.

Just as long as he isn't the next Huey Richardson!

MasterOfPuppets
09-15-2007, 02:45 AM
Just as long as he isn't the next Huey Richardson!
speaking of old huey....here's a tidbit of info i'm sure most are unaware of...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05109/490519.stm

Andy Starnes, Post-Gazette

Two years, three teams, 16 games played, no statistics.
He was among the biggest and most mysterious busts in Steelers history, selected with the 15th pick of the 1991 NFL draft and ejected little more than a year later.

An All-America, record-setting pass-rusher from the University of Florida, Richardson was released before the 1992 season, played that year split between the Jets and Redskins and left football without earning an NFL sack.

What he achieved later, though, would put him among rare company. Ten years after his rookie season, Richardson was in the World Trade Center when the first plane struck in the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.

JackHammer
09-15-2007, 03:37 AM
I can't believe anyone would make a judgment on this at this point, either way. Hell, let these guys at least play a season or two. We shouldn't have to be reminded of Troy Polamalu in his rookie season. Let it play out and we will know in due time.

Anybody who thinks they know at this point is either trying to set themself up to say "I told you so" or they're just plain mad that we didn't pick the player that they were pimpin.

Galax Steeler
09-15-2007, 03:56 AM
regret?

yeah. posluszny is so great, the steelers regret not trading UP to get him.

the steelers and 31 other teams had him rated below the player they took in the 1st round.

i realize he's from penn state, but the bellyaching over the 1st pick being used on timmons is rediculous. why spend a 1st round pick on a consencus 2nd round graded player when we can go out and try to get 1st round talent?

if anything the steelers woulda traded UP in the 2nd round to draft paul if they wanted him. instead they took woodley.

to answer the question, the steelers have absolutely no regret about not taking paul. not yet anyways. perhaps in 5-10 years they might, but if thats the case so might 31 other teams.

I think you said it all tony I agree 100%.

83-Steelers-43
09-15-2007, 06:18 AM
Posluszny pays Bills back fast
Tomorrow: Steelers vs. Bufflo Bills
Saturday, September 15, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

After Penn State finishes with its opponent from Buffalo today, some of the Nittany Lions' players will be at Heinz Field tomorrow to watch another team from Buffalo. This time, though, they might be rooting for the team from Buffalo, if only because of Paul Posluszny.

Posluszny, an Aliquippa native, always has been something of a hometown favorite in Western Pennsylvania. He played at Hopewell High School and led the Vikings to WPIAL and PIAA Class AAA championships in 2002, then became a decorated three-year starter at Penn State and was called the best linebacker to play there by none other than Jack Ham.

That all changes when Posluszny, a rookie middle linebacker with the Buffalo Bills (0-1), tries to stop the team he grew up watching when the Steelers (1-0) open their home season at 1 p.m. tomorrow at Heinz Field.

The Bills moved up in the second round to draft Posluszny with the 34th overall pick, 12 spots ahead of where the Steelers drafted outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley. And they are glad they did.

"We are really happy that we have him," Bills coach Dick Jauron said.

Posluszny is one of two rookie starters with the Bills -- running back Marshawn Lynch, their No. 1 pick, is the other -- being counted on to pump some life into a franchise that has not made the playoffs since 1999.

In his National Football League debut, a 15-14 loss to the Denver Broncos last week, Posluszny had nine tackles, eight of them solo. More important, he never seemed to get stuck in a wash of blockers and was in proper position to make tackles -- a key for a middle linebacker.

"He looked very comfortable out there," Steelers center Sean Mahan said. "And he's got to be a smart guy to make all the calls for their defense."

"The bottom line is getting to the football, and he gets to the football a lot better than I did," former Bills linebacker Shane Conlan, who also played at Penn State, said in an interview with the Niagara (N.Y.) Gazette.

"He's everything as advertised," said Penn State defensive coordinator Tom Bradley, who coached Posluszny for four seasons with the Nittany Lions. "He's one of the great human beings who have played at Penn State, on and off the field."

Posluszny was the first Penn State player to record 100 tackles three consecutive seasons, won the Butkus Award as the nation's top linebacker as a junior and was one of only two players in college football history to twice win the Chuck Bednarik Award as the nation's best defensive player. On top of all that, he was named to the dean's list five times and graduated in less than four years with a degree in finance.

"He has it all -- speed, football intelligence, competitiveness," Bradley said. "He's everything you're looking for in a football player. He's one of those guys who keeps getting better and better."

As an example, Bradley referred to Posluszny's senior season at Penn State when he was switched from outside linebacker to middle linebacker in the Lions' defense. Despite not being able to practice at that position in the spring because he was coming off major knee surgery, Posluszny developed into a player who convinced NFL scouts and coaches he could play inside.

And that's where he is in the Bills' 4-3 defense, playing middle linebacker and providing hope for a defense that lost three key players in the offseason -- linebackers London Fletcher and Takeo Spikes, and cornerback Nate Clements.

"We don't feel like that is the only place he can play, but we definitely projected him in the middle for us," Jauron said. "He is an aware player. He is a guy that prepares really well and will work at it constantly. He thinks about it. I think he learns on every snap. I don't think he is a guy that makes the same mistakes over and over."

Posluszny isn't the only Bills rookie who is expected to contribute immediately.

Lynch was drafted 12th overall to replace running back Willis McGahee, who signed as an unrestricted free agent with the Baltimore Ravens. Like Posluszny, he started his first NFL game last week and finished with 90 yards on 19 carries against the Broncos, scoring on a 23-yard run.

Lynch also caught two passes for 9 yards, a sign the Bills want him to become an all-purpose back in the mold of one of their former heroes, Thurman Thomas.

"Hopefully, it says that we picked the right guy, and we think we did," Jauron said of his top two draft choices.

"Clearly we liked them enough to pick them at [No.] 1 and 2. They are good, and I think both of them are going to get better and better. They are pretty good now, but they have a long way to go to become real professionals in this league, in terms of understanding and reacting at the speed that they are capable of."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07258/817802-66.stm

83-Steelers-43
09-15-2007, 06:25 AM
IMO, it's waaaaay too early to regret anything. We have played one regular season game since drafting Timmons. One. Give the kid time. He looks good on ST's (speed) and he made a nice play against the Browns, chasing Jamal Lewis down and tackling him from behind for a loss. Nice play for a rookie.

Timmons has made the first step....he's back and healthy. I'm going to see what the kid has to bring to the team before I "regret" anything. It's September 15 and it's his rookie year. Deep breath.

Elvis
09-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Thanks for your tidbit ToNy...
:banging::blah: