PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger/Arians on same page

83-Steelers-43
09-15-2007, 06:48 AM
Steelers' Roethlisberger, Arians on same page
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, September 15, 2007

It was time to go for the jugular, and Ben Roethlisberger told his teammates as much in the huddle.

"When it's a home run shot and we're really going for it, I tell them, 'Hey guys, line, give me some time,' " Roethlisberger said. "And I told Santonio, 'Hey, this is coming to you, so make a play.' "

Roethlisberger got the time he needed and wide receiver Santonio Holmes did his part Sunday, getting behind the Cleveland secondary and hauling in a perfect, 40-yard strike from Roethlisberger that put the Steelers up, 17-0, late in the first quarter.

It was a play that Roethlisberger had pushed for in the days leading up to the Browns game during his chats with offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

The two now get together on a regular basis and discuss what to call and what not to call and when.

The meetings with Arians afford Roethlisberger an opportunity to help formulate the game plan each week by rejecting plays he isn't comfortable with and endorsing those he trusts.

Heading into Sunday's home opener against Buffalo, the Steelers figure to be that much more confident in the process based on the way things played out in Cleveland, especially on first-and-10 from the Browns 40-yard line late in the first quarter immediately after they recovered a Jamal Lewis fumble.

"We saw that their defense plays a lot of Cover 2 and we knew that play was going to be good," Roethlisberger said. "We thought we could get them to really jump, the back-side safety would jump (wide receiver) Hines (Ward, who was running an underneath route). And the front-side safety, Santonio would give him a double-move and we knew that he'd probably jump the first part.

"I looked the safety to the left onto Hines and then just went up top."

Roethlisberger said "pretty much every touchdown" against the Browns had been scored on a play he had campaigned for with Arians.

The two begin going over potential options on Tuesdays and get more specific as the week progresses.

"Bruce and I go up after practice on Fridays, I sit up there and we go over the whole game plan, 'this is what I like, this is what I don't like,'" Roethlisberger said. "We do it a couple times a week.

"The plays that we scored on were all plays that I told him I liked."

Roethlisberger is also being asked to change the blocking assignments for the offensive line at the line of scrimmage when necessary and encouraged to call audibles for the first time this season.

He estimated that stuff came up about 10-plus times in Cleveland.

He wasn't required to deal with those added responsibilities more often because the Steelers never went to their no-huddle package because they produced big plays as opposed to sustained drives and because he and Arians were apparently in agreement as to how to attack the Browns.

"There were some changes that were made, but for the most part, Bruce called a great game," Roethlisberger said. "I didn't have to change too much."

FOUR SCORE

Four plays that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger thought would work and did last Sunday in Cleveland. Roethlisberger threw a career-high four TD passes and the Steelers beat the Browns, 34-7:

Quarter-Down-and-distance-Yard line-Play-Result

First-Third-and-5-Cleveland 5-Pass to WR Hines Ward-TD

First-First-and-10-Cleveland 40-Pass to WR Santonio Holmes-TD

Third-Second-and-5-Cleveland 5-Pass to TE Matt Spaeth-TD

Third-First-and-10-Cleveland 22-Pass to TE Heath Miller-TD

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_527565.html

Atlanta Dan
09-15-2007, 10:28 AM
Roethlisberger said "pretty much every touchdown" against the Browns had been scored on a play he had campaigned for with Arians.

Glad to see Ben is willing to deflect credit to others for last week's triumph over the Browns juggernaut:dang:

ExtonSteelFan
09-15-2007, 10:41 AM
How come every time an article is posted on here there's someone right there waiting to jump on ANY potential negative comment that was made by Ben? Everyone's got an opinion which I understand, but I don't think that particular point was really that obvious in an article which clearly focused on the positive points of Ben's first game.

Atlanta Dan, I mean no disrespect, but I'm just curious why you pointed that out in this particular article? I didn't pull anything negative out of Ben's statements.

JimMac
09-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Let's see if he can do that against the Bill "juggernaut" DE, lol

Atlanta Dan
09-15-2007, 11:56 AM
How come every time an article is posted on here there's someone right there waiting to jump on ANY potential negative comment that was made by Ben? Everyone's got an opinion which I understand, but I don't think that particular point was really that obvious in an article which clearly focused on the positive points of Ben's first game.

Atlanta Dan, I mean no disrespect, but I'm just curious why you pointed that out in this particular article? I didn't pull anything negative out of Ben's statements.

It is not just Ben - it is Ben in this case.. I happen not to admire jocks who feel a need to call attention to their self-centered wonderfulness (e.g. - my comments about Faneca's offseason whining)

With regard to Ben, throughout the offseason and preseason he has been taking snide digs at Whiz and Cowher. He could have just said they had a lot of success together but time moves on - instead he has elected to go in another direction - that is his right but if I find it be a sign of immaturity.

Now, in a game where the Steelers trashed perhaps the worst team in football, IMO it would not have been inappropriate for Ben to have just thanked Arians for calling a good game. Instead we get the claim that "pretty much every" play that went for TDs were those which Ben had the keen insight to sift out of the playbook in the days prior to the game and had the foresight for which to "campaign"

Then for good measure he contradicted Tomlin when his new HC had the audacity to say too much was being made about Ben's involvement in the offense:

Coach Mike Tomlin said too much is being made of Roethlisberger's involvement and control of the offense. But Roethlisberger, who threw a career-best four touchdowns against the Browns, said, "Bruce is giving me a lot more freedom to do stuff. [Tomlin] wasn't here last year to know what was going on. I'm not going to take all the credit by any means ... but I'm able to do a lot more than I ever have."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07257/817481-66.stm

Nice way to support your new head coach.

83-Steelers-43
09-15-2007, 11:58 AM
lol, I'm not even touching this one. It's not even worth the air with some. Good luck Dan..lol.

83-Steelers-43
09-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Let's see if he can do that against the Bill "juggernaut" DE, lol

Get all our wins now. We are going to need them after these next three games are up.

fansince'76
09-15-2007, 12:00 PM
lol, I'm not even touching this one. It's not even worth the air with some.

Nope, me neither. I made myself pretty clear on where I stand on the issue in another thread recently anyway.

83-Steelers-43
09-15-2007, 12:03 PM
It is not just Ben - it is Ben in this case.. I happen not to admire jocks who feel a need to call attention to their self-centered wonderfulness (e.g. - my comments about Faneca's offseason whining)

With regard to Ben, throughout the offseason and preseason he has been taking snide digs at Whiz and Cowher. He could have just said they had a lot of success together but time moves on - instead he has elected to go in another direction - that is his right but if I find it be a sign of immaturity.

Now, in a game where the Steelers trashed perhaps the worst team in football, IMO it would not have been inappropriate for Ben to have just thanked Arians for calling a good game. Instead we get the claim that "pretty much every" play that went for TDs were those which Ben had the keen insight to sift out of the playbook in the days prior to the game and had the foresight for which to "campaign"

Just do what I did this morning when I read it. Laugh, shake your head and roll your eyes. :cheers:

fansince'76
09-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Just do what I did this morning when I read it. Laugh, shake your head and roll your eyes. :cheers:

By the way, caught one, 83. :mg: :chuckle:

83-Steelers-43
09-15-2007, 12:04 PM
By the way, caught one, 83. :mg: :chuckle:

I'm sure you were waiting in angst.

tony hipchest
09-15-2007, 12:04 PM

Atlanta Dan, I mean no disrespect, but I'm just curious why you pointed that out in this particular article? I didn't pull anything negative out of Ben's statements.this past week, even tomlin was throwing water on the possible impending firestorm that ben is the offensive coordinator and arians is his "yes man".

even ben has come out to clarify that hes not really sitting in helping put together a gameplan, but more sitting in and learning and getting better insight when, where and why coaches are doing certain things and drawing up certain plays. ben said that its still arians who calls all the plays and blocking schemes.

ben shouldnt have to clarify this. ben simply has the abilities to check out of a play that arians calls if he sees a defensive shift or a blitz coming. however, ben is so overjoyed about his new responsibilities he cant keep from talking to the media about it and the media is making it like he is the next bradshaw or kelly running the whole show himself. hes not there yet, but possibly in the next 5 years. that remains to be seen.

fansince'76
09-15-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm sure you were waiting in angst.

Nope, never do when it comes to the inevitable.

83-Steelers-43
09-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Nope, never do when it comes to the inevitable.

I bet buddy. I bet.

fansince'76
09-15-2007, 12:19 PM
I bet buddy. I bet.

Believe what you want. I'm sure you will anyway. :coffee:

83-Steelers-43
09-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Judging that I'm not on yours, you can get off my nuts when ever you feel like it.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Some in this forum are just a complete joke....I didn't see anything wrong with what Ben said......lol Whats wrong with a QB wanting to see plays that he likes in a game plan? Plus whats wrong with a QB stating the plays the Steelers scored on are the one he campaigned for? Plus why are some fans always trying to look the negative in something?lol

I think our collective thought should be on the beating the Steelers are going to put on the Bills and not trying to look for something negative every time Ben opens his mouth....lol

No wonder why Terry Bradshaw stayed away for so long with constant B.S. by some fans...lol

Crushzilla
09-15-2007, 04:13 PM
They played the audio for this interview on DVE the other day. Ben wasn't trying to take anything away from Arians. When he made that comment about the plays with Arians it was while he was talking about changing plays at the line of scrimmage.

I suppose the Quarterback is always going to be subjected to criticisms...

I'm going to wait until Ben comes out and directly says something about someone in the organization, instead of digging through quotes and playing the "spin."

My :twocents:

Now that I've been part of the problem. I'll try to salvage this thread from the hijack.

I like the chemistry between Holmes and Ben. In the interview, Mike asked Ben, after he had said that he looked at Hines to trick the safety that he then let it fly to Holmes, if he even looked to see if he was open or if he just put it up? Ben said that he knew he'd be open, but he didn't really see the other safety coming.

Holmes took the initiative and made some moves to help out Ben. The WRs this year have to do more than they did last year to bail out Roethlisberger. I'm liking this, but let's see how it stacks up against a real team.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-15-2007, 04:27 PM
I'm tired of this real team talk.....I guess people forget that the Steelers struggled against the Browns last year in Cleveland?...It took a late TD for the Steelers to beat the Browns...lol

The Steelers were supposed to blow out the Browns and they did that last week......

Crushzilla
09-15-2007, 04:31 PM
That was last year, though.

The Browns were freaking awful. How many of our drives started in their territory?

How bad were they at picking up the blitz?

How many first downs did they get?

True, we may have played absolutely stellar, but I have to take our performance with a grain of salt... The Browns suck.

Preacher
09-15-2007, 04:37 PM
"Bruce and I go up after practice on Fridays, I sit up there and we go over the whole game plan, 'this is what I like, this is what I don't like,'" Roethlisberger said. "We do it a couple times a week.

"The plays that we scored on were all plays that I told him I liked."

Roethlisberger is also being asked to change the blocking assignments for the offensive line at the line of scrimmage when necessary and encouraged to call audibles for the first time this season.

He estimated that stuff came up about 10-plus times in Cleveland.

He wasn't required to deal with those added responsibilities more often because the Steelers never went to their no-huddle package because they produced big plays as opposed to sustained drives and because he and Arians were apparently in agreement as to how to attack the Browns.

Funny... When I read it, what I took out of it was more of... Arians is a good OC... he puts the plan together... then comes and talks to me about it. We focus on what I am comfortable with as a QB, and discard somethings I know I can't do or am not comfortable doing (note: those are probably many of the things that led to an interception) instead of forcing those plays on me. All 4 scores last week were plays I told Arians I was comfortable with.

And really... I don't see how it should be any different, or how he should say anything different.

tony hipchest
09-15-2007, 04:41 PM
I'm tired of this real team talk.....I guess people forget that the Steelers struggled against the Browns last year in Cleveland?...It took a late TD for the Steelers to beat the Browns...lol

The Steelers were supposed to blow out the Browns and they did that last week......the 1st 5 games of our season will be looked at as nothing more than an extension of the preseason.

we had a league best record in preseason but all we hear is "yeah but, its preseason".

we can have a league best record after the 1st 5 games and all we will hear is "yeah but, its against inferior competition".

these are looked at as warm up games because of the steelers high expectations, so it is important that we keep on blowing out the teams were supposed to blow out.

the 1st loss will be brutal. which leads to ben. he needs to take the approach that coaches coach and players play. im happy for him and the team that he is given more input, responsibility, and feels more comfortable. its good for the team.

but he is setting himself up for alot of scrutiny the 1st time the team loses when he throws 2 int's. whats the point in having the media scrutinizing him for calling out of a play or blaming arians for calling a dumb play. why would he even want to mess with the media asking ben

"was the interception you threw in the 4th quarter your fault or arians?" or "why didnt you check out of that play?" etc.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-15-2007, 04:43 PM
That was last year, though.

The Browns were freaking awful. How many of our drives started in their territory?

How bad were they at picking up the blitz?

How many first downs did they get?

True, we may have played absolutely stellar, but I have to take our performance with a grain of salt... The Browns suck.

All I was trying to say the Steelers are supposed to blow out the Browns and they did that....Are the Browns a good team? No not all but I'll take a blow out win the first week in the season anyday...Especially since the Steelers offense didn't play exactly their best and still put up 34 points....A nice way to start the season.....

Back on topic....I agree with you Preacher.......

Crushzilla
09-15-2007, 04:46 PM
All I was trying to say the Steelers are supposed to blow out the Browns and they did that....Are the Browns a good team? No not all but I'll take a blow out win the first week in the season anyday...Especially since the Steelers offense didn't play exactly their best and still put up 34 points....A nice way to start the season.....

Back on topic....I agree with you Preacher.......

Aye.

I hear you, man.

If the things that we disagree on this season are if the Steelers should have killed their opponents more than they did than I'd say its a good season.

:cheers:

Preacher
09-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Aye.

I hear you, man.

If the things that we disagree on this season are if the Steelers should have killed their opponents more than they did than I'd say its a good season.

:cheers:

Too true.

Polly
09-15-2007, 05:18 PM
If they can't be on the same page against the browns..its ganna be a looong season

Elvis
09-15-2007, 05:38 PM
True dat' polly... true dat!!
I like to see all is good so far, but we will see what
happens when things are going the other
way....
:tt02:

Atlanta Dan
09-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Some in this forum are just a complete joke....I didn't see anything wrong with what Ben said......lol Whats wrong with a QB wanting to see plays that he likes in a game plan? Plus whats wrong with a QB stating the plays the Steelers scored on are the one he campaigned for? Plus why are some fans always trying to look the negative in something?lol

I think our collective thought should be on the beating the Steelers are going to put on the Bills and not trying to look for something negative every time Ben opens his mouth....lol

No wonder why Terry Bradshaw stayed away for so long with constant B.S. by some fans...lol

:sofunny:Sorry for the tone of my post - thanks for making me see the light

I am glad Cowher and Whiz are gone, since they did not let Ben comment on the play calling, refused to let him work overtime at the practice facilities, and told him to throw the ball into coverage last year rather than throw it away.

I am glad Ben responded to Tomlin saying his new role in the offense was being overemphasized by saying Tomlin did not know what went on last year, given that Tomlin does not have Ben's work ethic or attention to detail and obviously would not have asked the assistants or management who have remained how anything was handled under the old regime - Tomlin should just ask Ben how things went on last year since we know Ben will never shade the facts

By criticizing Ben I obviously am a secret Ravens/Pats fans - true fans only criticize players when they lose

In all seriousness :cheers: - we just disagree on this

As I said in my original post, I simply do not like it when jocks (or attorneys, or doctors, or salespeople, or other individuals) need to let you know how hard they are working, how much they are contributing, and feel some need to keep taking shots at ex-colleagues (e.g. - "We joked last year, we'd talk to 'Whiz' (former offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt) and tell him what we (as quarterbacks) liked and didn't like," Roethlisberger said. "And the plays we liked never got called and the plays we didn't like always were called")

Speak well of your co-workers and let them be the source of praise for your work.
Hopefully Ben will get the message that Tomlin apparently wants him to cool it on all the comments about his role with the offense.

Preacher
09-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Through my pastoral instincts at detecting Satanic messages backmasked into heavliy metal, I have noticed a few discreet messages in AD's last post. To keep this forum safe, let me expose those now!

:sofunny:Sorry for the tone of my post - thanks for making me see the light (Careful, there is a hint of sarcasm here !)

I am glad Cowher and Whiz are gone (backmasked into this sentence... Cuz my team.. The CLEVELAND BROWNS WILL GET HIM!) since they did not let Ben comment on the play calling, refused to let him work overtime at the practice facilities, and told him to throw the ball into coverage last year rather than throw it away

I am glad Ben responded to Tomlin saying his new role in the offense was being overemphasized by saying Tomlin did not know what went on last year, given that Tomlin does not have Ben's work ethic or attention to detail and obviously would not have asked the assistants or management who have remained how anything was handled under the old regime - Tomlin should just ask Ben how things went on last year since we know Ben will never shade the facts

By criticizing Ben I obviously am a secret Ravens/Pats fans - true fans only criticize players when they lose. (see, this is a classic move. Openly state the truth in a sacrastic manner, to throw off those not as adept at backmasking and subtle truths! Don't worry guys and gals... I am on it!)

In all seriousness :cheers: - we just disagree on this (WOW... If you read carefully, you will see... We just disagree... because I am a RAVENS Fan. Now, I don't know why he switched from being a Browns fan... Maybe he wasn't a diehard fan? Next, he will be rooting for the Texans!)

As I said in my original post, I simply do not like it when jocks (or attorneys, or doctors, or salespeople, or other individuals) need to let you know how hard they are working, how much they are contributing, and feel some need to keep taking shots at ex-colleagues (e.g. - "We joked last year, we'd talk to 'Whiz' (former offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt) and tell him what we (as quarterbacks) liked and didn't like," Roethlisberger said. "And the plays we liked never got called and the plays we didn't like always were called") (See... He KNEW I was on to him.. and didnt want any of you to know just HOW HARD I worked to pick this stuff apart!)

Speak well of your co-workers and let them be the source of praise for your work.
Hopefully Ben will get the message that Tomlin apparently wants him to cool it on all the comments about his role with the offense.

Preacher-- Working hard to keep this forum safe from rival backmasking!!!! :wink02:

83-Steelers-43
09-15-2007, 11:11 PM
but I have to take our performance with a grain of salt... The Browns suck.

How dare you? You haven't heard? We already won the Super Bowl. You must be one of those untrue fans....

Galax Steeler
09-16-2007, 07:49 AM
I thought ben done well with arians I think this trend will continue and get better each week.