PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Ward docked $5,000 for late hit on Browns CB Holly

JimMac
09-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Cleveland Browns cornerback Daven Holly took offense to the late hit laid on him by Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward in last week's season opener.

The league agreed, and took $5,000 out of Ward's paycheck.

Long regarded as one of the NFL's best and most physical blockers at the wide receiver position, Ward has been fined $5,000 for unnecessary roughness for a play that Holly termed "a heinous act," and one that left the third-year cornerback with a concussion.

It is not known if Ward, a 10-year veteran and one of the most respected players in the league, will appeal the fine.

Ward called the play "a clean hit that just came a little late."

The play in question came with 3:18 remaining in the third quarter, and Pittsburgh leading 24-7 in what would be a 34-7 victory. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger completed a 17-yard pass to tailback Najeh Davenport and Ward, blocking downfield, hit Holly from behind.

Ward was assessed a 15-yard personal foul for a hit that knocked Holly unconscious for a short time. Holly subsequently got to his feet and left the field with some assistance. The Steelers then scored on the ensuing play, on Roethlisberger's 22-yard pass to tight end Heath Miller.

"I don't feel like it was a respectable shot," Holly told the Cleveland Plain-Dealer this week.

The cornerback missed one day of practice, by Friday seemed to be fine, and is expected to play in Sunday's game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

In another incident, the league has fined Buffalo defensive end Chad Kelsay $5,000 for a hit on Denver quarterback Jay Cutler last week. The hit, which appeared to be helmet-to-helmet contact, did not draw a flag.:cash

83-Steelers-43
09-15-2007, 12:13 PM
As long as they didn't find a video camera on him, it's all good.

fansince'76
09-15-2007, 12:16 PM
I still never heard a whistle before the hit. But if Ward says the hit came late, I'll take his word for it.

Atlanta Dan
09-15-2007, 12:51 PM
I still never heard a whistle before the hit. But if Ward says the hit came late, I'll take his word for it.

Maybe Ward should issue a statement like this:

I accept full responsibility for the actions that led to today's ruling. Once again, I apologize to the Rooney family and every person directly or indirectly associated with the Pittsburgh Steelers for the embarrassment, distraction and penalty my mistake caused. I also apologize to Steelers fans and would like to thank them for their support during the past few days and throughout my career.

My block had no impact on the outcome of last week's game. I have never engaged in conduct that has resulted in a penalty to obtain a competitive advantage while the game was in progress.

Part of my job as a Steelers player is to ensure that our football operations are conducted in compliance of the league rules and all accepted interpretations of them. My interpretation of a rule was incorrect.

With today's resolution, I will not be offering any further comments on this matter. We are moving on with our preparations for Sunday's game.

Edman
09-15-2007, 12:58 PM
It was late. I don't mind the fine. Of course, Clown fans are calling Hines a dirty player. This is coming from a fanbase that still brags about Turkey Jones to this day. But Eff them. They suck and their team sucks.

ShutDown24
09-15-2007, 01:30 PM
Oh well... At least it's not $500,00

SteelCityMan786
09-15-2007, 01:39 PM
Oh well... At least it's not $500,00

Unlike a certain team we know of.

ShutDown24
09-15-2007, 01:43 PM
The fans are calling him DIRTY???
At least he didn't steal some crippled guy's wheelchair!!

lol they will call Ward dirty for a late hit but not Winslow.

RJC
09-15-2007, 02:10 PM
Hines Ward is everything that is Steelers Football. A blue collared tough guy that could have played in any era. A SS playing WR. Can you imagine what he would have been like playing SS? Holy Mother Of God!!!:helmet:

JAG151
09-15-2007, 02:32 PM
It was late. I don't mind the fine. Of course, Clown fans are calling Hines a dirty player. This is coming from a fanbase that still brags about Turkey Jones to this day. But Eff them. They suck and their team sucks.

I say we take up a collection for Hines, if we each pitch in a buck or 2 we could probably make it!! If we go over, we could donate it to Hines' favorite charity!

I'm kidding of course, but I just hate the brownies ever since that dipwad turkey jones slammed Bradshaw into the ground like that.

HE AINT NO STEELER KILLER EITHER!!

:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

mike15618
09-15-2007, 02:40 PM
I have always thought the Clowns to be a bit feminine, now I have proof, as it seems we've just found they're P***y.

jjpro11
09-15-2007, 04:10 PM

they replayed that turkey jones play on the jumbotron before the game and everyone went nuts. i laughed and said its pretty bad when your most famous play against the steelers is a cheap shot penalty.

Preacher
09-15-2007, 05:00 PM
they replayed that turkey jones play on the jumbotron before the game and everyone went nuts. i laughed and said its pretty bad when your most famous play against the steelers is a cheap shot penalty.

Too true... way too true.:sofunny:

Kaeg
09-15-2007, 05:04 PM

I accept full responsibility for the actions that led to today's ruling. Once again, I apologize to the Rooney family and every person directly or indirectly associated with the Pittsburgh Steelers for the embarrassment, distraction and penalty my mistake caused. I also apologize to Steelers fans and would like to thank them for their support during the past few days and throughout my career.

My block had no impact on the outcome of last week's game. I have never engaged in conduct that has resulted in a penalty to obtain a competitive advantage while the game was in progress.

Part of my job as a Steelers player is to ensure that our football operations are conducted in compliance of the league rules and all accepted interpretations of them. My interpretation of a rule was incorrect.

With today's resolution, I will not be offering any further comments on this matter. We are moving on with our preparations for Sunday's game.

That was good! I was laughing at that one.

Crushzilla
09-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Hines Ward is everything that is Steelers Football. A blue collared tough guy that could have played in any era. A SS playing WR. Can you imagine what he would have been like playing SS? Holy Mother Of God!!!:helmet:

A turnover machine.

Hines is going to be one of those players who's jersey you'll keep seeing for the next 4 decades.

His career has run perfectly with the Steelers. Now that he's getting older, he remains a not only a great possession guy, but an excellent mentor to the young 'uns.

Polly
09-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Holmes is no doubt learnin' from hines how to block, we've seen glimpses of that last week

hes still got a couple of years left in the tank, dont underestimate the guy

polamalufan43
09-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Holmes is no doubt learnin' from hines how to block, we've seen glimpses of that last week

hes still got a couple of years left in the tank, dont underestimate the guy

True

When I heard about the fine, two things came into my head

Number One: Stupid Browns

Number Two: At least its payback for Winslow's infamous cheap shot

Number Three: They blame Hines more than Winslow, geez

I lied, that's three things, oh well

~PF43:tt02:

Elvis
09-15-2007, 05:35 PM
Give me a break... just dont see why they have to go and do things like that. That play was such crap...
:jawdrop:

RJC
09-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Both Troy Edwards, and Plaxico Burress refused to learn from Ward. Foolish decision. Holmes appears to be following the footsteps of Randle El. Learning everything he can from the guy. That block was an early indication. Soak it up Holmesie boy, it's a smart move. You'll reap the rewards....

SteelerManiacXLII
09-15-2007, 07:46 PM
5,000 bucks is nothing to Ward... $5k well spent.

Besides, I bet Rooney flips the bill for him anyway.

AFC
09-15-2007, 08:48 PM
5,000 bucks is nothing to Ward... $5k well spent.

Indeed. :thumbsup:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
09-15-2007, 08:59 PM

:toofunny:

RoethlisBURGHer
09-15-2007, 09:13 PM
Cheap shot my ass, the whistle wasn't blown yet.

And Holly is still bitchin about it, someone give hima damn maxi pad, I think it's her time of the month.

Preacher
09-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Both Troy Edwards, and Plaxico Burress refused to learn from Ward. Foolish decision. Holmes appears to be following the footsteps of Randle El. Learning everything he can from the guy. That block was an early indication. Soak it up Holmesie boy, it's a smart move. You'll reap the rewards....

Absolutely. the way Holmes is blocking... it is just scary. It seems as though he is enjoying hitting people as much if not MORE then Ward!

Dylan
09-15-2007, 09:56 PM
That is bull crap

TommyG
09-15-2007, 10:12 PM
Holly needs to shut his mouth....This is football...if he is really pissed off he should wait unitl their next meeting and settle it like a man...not a punk.

SteelersMongol
09-15-2007, 10:46 PM
As long as they didn't find a video camera on him, it's all good.

It was on camera. But like Ward said, it came just a little late.

12+88=6
09-15-2007, 11:49 PM
i watched the play again. he hit the guy BEFORE the whistle blew. how is that a penalty?
i thought you were supposed to play until you heard the whistle.

and why didn't they call it a penalty until they came back from commercial and the nancy boy was being helped off the field?

maybe they were just trying to calm things down before there was a fight. that blow to the head of winslow was worse. why can you hit anybody but a qb in the head? i guess a db is not human being.

stillers4ever
09-16-2007, 12:12 AM
this guy has totally labeled him self as the bitch-tits of the cleveland browns. if your a brown you really dont want to draw attention to yourself.

dude needs to lay off the estrogen pills and start poppin testosterone if he wants those balls to grow back.

NV STEELERS 723
09-16-2007, 01:12 AM

Allright Dan enough !!!! I'm so tired of everyone here picking in LITP...especially after he has bragged here about how awesome his Patriots are....now leave him alone !:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sof unny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny: :sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

j-dawg
09-16-2007, 03:08 AM
sheeshh.. a late hit which was a complete NON FACTOR in the win and people in here are getting their panties in a bunch? hey stillers, maybe you should take some of your own advice.

Livinginthe past
09-16-2007, 03:10 AM
Poor old Hines Ward - cheap shotting 'warrior' on the field - loud mouth bitch off it.

Glad to see there is still more gas in the tank regarding the Patriots - obesssive might be too strong a word....might....

I don;t know, voluntarily turning Steelers threads into smack fests on the Patriots with no credible linkage......

We're the Steelers...the league hates us... :crying01:

Galax Steeler
09-16-2007, 07:40 AM
I didn't get to see the game but it sounds like holly is just whinning cause he got hit.

rog
09-16-2007, 11:16 AM
I was at the game and the browns fan beside me (which whom I got along with very well) was complaining about Ward saying he is dirty and a cheapshot player all I had to say was "ya just remember he is a wideout and he just blew up your corner".

Atlanta Dan
09-16-2007, 11:46 AM
Poor old Hines Ward - cheap shotting 'warrior' on the field - loud mouth bitch off it.

Glad to see there is still more gas in the tank regarding the Patriots - obesssive might be too strong a word....might....

I don;t know, voluntarily turning Steelers threads into smack fests on the Patriots with no credible linkage......

I am just saying if issuing maudlin "apologies" is how the "model franchise" handles this then Hines should follow the guidance provided by that organization:smile::

"Character counts" - Mike Ditka

tony hipchest
09-16-2007, 11:56 AM

:troll:*

eastcoastslide43
09-16-2007, 12:17 PM
this is bullshit the browns were getting dstroyed anyway, so they cry about some late hit. Your in the National Football League SUCK IT UP

83-Steelers-43
09-17-2007, 12:16 AM
Hines Ward said he will appeal the $5,000 fine the NFL slapped him with for a block he made Sept. 9 on Browns cornerback Daven Holly. The Steelers wide receiver was called for a personal foul for hitting Holly after the whistle at the end of a Najeh Davenport catch-and-run. Ward learned late last week that the league had further punished him for the block that knocked Holly out of the game with a concussion. Holly, a Clairton High School product, told the Cleveland Plain-Dealer that the play was a "heinous act."

"If that's what you want to call it, heinous, I'll apologize," Ward said after the Steelers' beat the Buffalo Bills, 26-3, on Sunday, "but if I really wanted to hurt him, I could have."

Ward said he had already started to block Holly when the whistle blew and couldn't stop in time.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_527826.html

The Duke
09-17-2007, 12:20 AM
but if I really wanted to hurt him, I could have

that's our Ward.

Though I don't know if appealing it will work, Keisel appealed the fine he got for the hit on Campbell and we haven't heard anything abut that....