PDA

View Full Version : Week 3

steelpride12
09-16-2007, 04:16 PM
Ok great start by our Steelers with Ben throwing 5 Td's and only one pick and the Defense being the good ol D we have always loved. Now it's time for the 2-0 Niners who seem to be our first decent opponent. Lets come out blitzen and another win for our steelers are in site!

NV STEELERS 723
09-16-2007, 04:19 PM
The STEELERS D loves to frustrate young QB'S.....Alex Smith will be no different...

polamalufan43
09-16-2007, 04:24 PM
The niners will be a challenge no doubt, but it's one we can handle. I'm just wondering when Troy's gonna bust out a big play, he has been making an impact of course, but not in the big-play style we're use to. Will he make a difference in the way we're use to next week? Going to the offense, will Willie Parker keep up the stride he's on now?

~PF43:tt02:

TackleMeBen
09-16-2007, 04:30 PM
the 49ers look pretty good so far. i am torn on who to pull for on this game.

The Duke
09-16-2007, 04:33 PM
the 49ers look pretty good so far. i am torn on who to pull for on this game.

root for the 6'5 243 QB :wink02:

TackleMeBen
09-16-2007, 04:39 PM
root for the 6'5 243 QB :wink02:

yeah i think i might have too :cheer::wink02:

NV STEELERS 723
09-16-2007, 04:54 PM
STEELERS win by 6...

FastWillieParker39
09-16-2007, 04:57 PM
This is actually a bigger game than some think. The 9ers look like a pretty good team so far.

I'll think of a prediction later but it's going to be cloose. However, I do think the Steelers will win, just not sure of the score.

findlayref
09-16-2007, 05:20 PM
The niners will be a challenge no doubt, but it's one we can handle. I'm just wondering when Troy's gonna bust out a big play, he has been making an impact of course, but not in the big-play style we're use to. Will he make a difference in the way we're use to next week? Going to the offense, will Willie Parker keep up the stride he's on now?

When the goin' gets tough- the tough get goin'. Troy has played solid and will be there when needed.

Preacher
09-16-2007, 05:22 PM
Ok great start by our Steelers with Ben throwing 5 Td's and only one pick and the Defense being the good ol D we have always loved. Now it's time for the 2-0 Niners who seem to be our first decent opponent. Lets come out blitzen and another win for our steelers are in site!

Actually... Better then normal.

HometownGal
09-16-2007, 05:23 PM

Other than Frank Gore - I'm even less worried about the Niners than I was about the Bills and I wasn't worried about them at all. These first 4 games bode(d) well in the Steelers favor - it's the games after the bye that are going to be a bit tougher imho.

headymessman86
09-16-2007, 05:30 PM
James Harrison goes down and LaMarr Woodley notches 4 tackles and a sack.
I love the versatility that's being shown during our first test with a significant injury.
The D didn't miss a beat. Gotta love the depth.

revefsreleets
09-16-2007, 05:54 PM
The 49ers look good, or their competition has been disappointingly bad? The Cards are still the Cards, and the Rams just can't get their act together. And what is up with Steven Jackson?

I think the Niners will play tough for a half then collapse.

Galax Steeler
09-16-2007, 06:10 PM
the niners will be our toughest test so far but keep turnovers down and the d rolling we should win.

Rotorhead
09-16-2007, 07:54 PM
I think stopping Gore will be the key thing, and we will definately do that. After that our DB's seem to be playing very well and our pressure is where it needs to be (Although I have not been able to watch a game yet ggrrr) so I think we should be just fine for this game.

buckets2330
09-16-2007, 07:58 PM
i agree if we stop gore which im confident we will with the way our d has been playing it should be an easy win...GO STEELERS!

senorbuck
09-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Can't wait to see our D put a hurtin on Gore next week. See how good he really is :smile:

Preacher
09-16-2007, 08:45 PM
Isn't it good that we are looking ahead for a bigger challenge.... rather then licking our wounds like last year?

Man... Looking at the last few years, it just makes you wonder what happened in 2003 and 2006.

leothedog
09-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Hi everyone.
As a Niner fan, I can tell you that if our offense plays next Sunday the way it has played the last two games, you guys have nothing to worry about.
Seriously, so many fans are calling for the firing of the OC Hostler because of his play calling. And quite honestly, the OL just isn't getting it done. The Niners had better figure something out real quick or this little undefeated joyride we're on is gunna hit a big oak tree real quick.

Defensively, we look a whole lot better. Nolan spent a lot of Dr. York's money during the off season on defense, and it looks like it was money well spent.

I'm looking forward to the game, but I'm not real sure it's going to be something I'm gunna wanna watch.

fansince'76
09-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Welcome to the board, leothedog! :cheers:

I know this is going to sound horribly clich?d, but any given Sunday. Hell, look at our game against the Raiders last year. I'm not looking past anyone on the schedule, personally.

BurghZ0n3
09-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Yup,...don't worry leothedog. At HeinzField, we ALWAYS greet our opponent with a WARMEST WELCOME.....:wave:

ShutDown24
09-17-2007, 02:35 PM
I think it is closer than the past two weeks obviously, but the Stillirs steel pull out a win. I would say by 7 - 10 points fairly handily.

Virginia Steeler
09-17-2007, 02:42 PM
the 49ers have scored 20 & 17 points against average at best defenses - AZ and StL....they won't be able to put up points against the Steelers D...Alex Smith didn't throw a TD pass in either game....I'm not worried

TackleMeBen
09-17-2007, 03:02 PM
i hope that the defense dont put a hurting on alex smith this weekend.

The Duke
09-17-2007, 03:17 PM
i hope that the defense dont put a hurting on alex smith this weekend.

Oh, they will.But don't worry, Alex's strong he can take it. Now if it was baby Palmer in his position that would be a different story

revefsreleets
09-17-2007, 03:18 PM
The formula will be the same, I'm sure. Stop the run and make them beat us with the pass.

TackleMeBen
09-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Oh, they will.But don't worry, Alex's strong he can take it. Now if it was baby Palmer in his position that would be a different story

now am i going to have to go to this game and take care of alex smith after the steeler defense runs all over him??? :wink02:

kochmanski
09-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Stop Frank Gore = Niners lose.

leothedog
09-17-2007, 04:44 PM
Thank you, 76. It's nice to be here.
You are correct. On any given Sunday...
The Niner fans are hopefull, but they're also realistic. Steelers on the road? That's gunna be a tough one. Not impossible, but very tough.
I think the confidence level would be higher if the offense was showing it could move the ball consistantly using all the weapons it has, but that just hasn't happened yet. We have some very good players (Gore, Davis, Battle...), but we've had way too many 3 and outs along with long 3rd downs that aren't gettting converted. This is due to lack of running lanes for Gore (Opposing teams stacking the box) and some dropped balls by recievers that would be first downs and more. It'll happen, but maybe not this Sunday. But, ya never know.

Bfedorowicz
09-17-2007, 04:48 PM
I'm curious of the match up between 49ers TE Vernon Davis to our LB's? Since he's really the only Target for Alex Smith.

MasterOfPuppets
09-17-2007, 04:57 PM
I'm curious of the match up between 49ers TE Vernon Davis to our LB's? Since he's really the only Target for Alex Smith.
davis has 4 catches for 27 yds in two games.....i've seen a lot of davis in college, and i must say the niners are foolish for not getting him more involved in the offense. the guy should be putting up gates numbers every week !!!

leothedog
09-17-2007, 06:07 PM
I totally agree with you, MrPuppet. VD is an absolute beast. The Niners have got to get him the ball. Heck, they're paying him a boatload of money, make him EARN IT!!
Nolan knows he's being questioned by the fans, but he come from a conservative, defensive background.

And besides VD, we've got some other very capable recievers. DJax is good, but he drops balls. Battle is our #2, but has consistantly shown he can go over the middle and grab the tough catches. He's also a Helluva blocker. Jacobs is our #3, but nobody can figure out why. He had a good training camp, but hasn't done squat on the field. Ashlie Lelie is behind Jacobs for now. He was a free agent we paid some nice money to. He's known for his speed, stretching defenses, and a very high YPC average. He had a good preseason, so I can't imagine he won't soon be a factor. I hope so anyway.

btw, how do you do the "quote" thing on your board?

ShutDown24
09-17-2007, 06:20 PM
I totally agree with you, MrPuppet. VD is an absolute beast. The Niners have got to get him the ball. Heck, they're paying him a boatload of money, make him EARN IT!!
Nolan knows he's being questioned by the fans, but he come from a conservative, defensive background.

And besides VD, we've got some other very capable recievers. DJax is good, but he drops balls. Battle is our #2, but has consistantly shown he can go over the middle and grab the tough catches. He's also a Helluva blocker. Jacobs is our #3, but nobody can figure out why. He had a good training camp, but hasn't done squat on the field. Ashlie Lelie is behind Jacobs for now. He was a free agent we paid some nice money to. He's known for his speed, stretching defenses, and a very high YPC average. He had a good preseason, so I can't imagine he won't soon be a factor. I hope so anyway.

btw, how do you do the "quote" thing on your board?

From the outside looking in I still can't figure out why Davis doesn't do much.

Lelie drops A TON of balls that is why he has been available two years in a row now.

Hit the quote button (Rectangle, Yellow Square) at the bottom of someone else's post.

When it comes down to it, offensively for the 9ers it is going to be the same problem that the Bills had last week. You can't run on the Steelers, it just isn't done. That means another young QB will have to beat us. While Smith is a lot more accomplished than Losman, I still don't want a game in his hands if I'm a 49ers fan.

Defensively the 49ers should stack up fairly well, meaning it won't be a complete joke like it has been the past two weeks. But I can see 17 - 21 points by the Steelers pretty handily.

My game prediction is about 21 - 10 in favor of the B&G... The 49ers are a good team; I just don't see it this year for them. Next year is where I really think they make a mark.

leothedog
09-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Davis isn't doing much because Alex Smith isn't throwing him the ball, and Davis IS NOt happy about it. He's quoted in today's paper saying he was open all day yesterday.

Lelie - Dropped balls? Well, I'd like to see him get a chance on the field with us.

The only posts with the yellow quote button are my own. No one elses.

21-10, Steeler win? That wouldn't surprise me. I hope you're wrong, but I'm not even going to begin to argue that one.

What are your wide recievers like? What's your honest assessment of them?
Who's your running back? Is he capable of 100 yard games running behind your line? I ask only because I admittedly don't really know much about your Steelers.
I'll also add a friend of mine is a BIG Steeler fan. Helluva nice guy, too.

ShutDown24
09-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Davis isn't doing much because Alex Smith isn't throwing him the ball, and Davis IS NOt happy about it. He's quoted in today's paper saying he was open all day yesterday.

Lelie - Dropped balls? Well, I'd like to see him get a chance on the field with us.

The only posts with the yellow quote button are my own. No one elses.

21-10, Steeler win? That wouldn't surprise me. I hope you're wrong, but I'm not even going to begin to argue that one.

What are your wide recievers like? What's your honest assessment of them?
Who's your running back? Is he capable of 100 yard games running behind your line? I ask only because I admittedly don't really know much about your Steelers.
I'll also add a friend of mine is a BIG Steeler fan. Helluva nice guy, too.

Ok, I hadn't heard that about Vernon.

Yeah, he got traded from Denver where he was a high draft pick because he has a lot of drops. Had one year with Atlanta where he dropped a ton too. He can burn almost anybody in this league but isn't great at actually catching.

Yeah, sorry, I think it will be a good game... But I just can't see the Steelers losing right now.

Ward is the toughest receiver in the game, can play almost any position on the field. Blocks insanely well. Santonio Holmes is a very fast guy who is pretty skilled at catching deep balls and is becoming a great blocker in his own right. I assume you know what Cedric Wilson is about since he was in SF for some years... Nate Washington is an amazing athlete, but like Lelie he has drop problems.

Willie Parker is one of the leagues best, he has had quite a few 200 yard games, many 150+ yard games and 15 100 yard games. I honestly think he could contend for the rushing title this year. He has 100 yards in week one and 100 yards this past week as well.

Most Steeler fans are nice as long as you don't bash the team. :cheers:

Edman
09-17-2007, 06:53 PM
The Steelers are clicking right now. But they haven't reached their peak yet. Not by a long shot. Especially on O.

The only players that scare me on the 49ers is Frank Gore and perhaps Vernon Davis. The Steelers need to stop Gore and force Alex Smith to beat them. I'm confident the Steelers D will handle it. Unshackled Lebeau has full control over the D, and I'm sure he's cooking up some schemes for Smith.

I'd be surprised if the Steelers don't force any turnovers this week.

ShutDown24
09-17-2007, 06:55 PM
The Steelers are clicking right now. But they haven't reached their peak yet. Not by a long shot. Especially on O.

The only players that scare me on the 49ers is Frank Gore and perhaps Vernon Davis. The Steelers need to stop Gore and force Alex Smith to beat them. I'm confident the Steelers D will handle it. Unshackled Lebeau has full control over the D, and I'm sure he's cooking up some schemes for Smith.

I'd be surprised if the Steelers don't force any turnovers this week.

The fact that almost no one can run on the Steelers is really what makes this team so deadly... If your QB isn't a very poised guy who can beat a team single handedly, unless Pittsburgh is having a down week, you have a very small chance to win.

TackleMeBen
09-17-2007, 07:02 PM
for some reason i have a really bad feeling that this is going to be a very bad game for poor alex smith.. the steeler defense is tough. i guess i am going to have to do half and half wear my smith jersey the first half of the game and my ben jersey the second half..lol.

Rotorhead
09-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Honest assesment of our receivers . . . well Hines Ward was a Superbowl MVP and a perennial probowler, he is tuff and blocks better than anyone. I think next year we will start seeing Holmes making a run at probowl status, possibly this year. Nate has only upsides to him, tall, fast, very athletic . . . so as soon as he shakes the drop issues he will be a topflight receiver. If you watched the Superbowl 2 years ago, You should know about our RB. FWP (Fast Willie Parker) is the one the broke the 57 or soyard TD (SB record) for us. He is stupid fast and runs between the tackles like a 250lb back. He almost always gets 100+ each game because he is so good at breaking the long run, hitting the corner and even the tuff yards between the tackles. He will be a prennial probowler IMHO.

rog
09-17-2007, 07:36 PM
I'm very excited for this game because we will see our first real challenge on offense. The 9ers got alot of good young guys on D that can play. I'm pretty sure our offense will be up to the challenge. This is a dangerous game for the fact that it seems like the 9ers are playing with some confidence after starting 2-0. As for the 9ers as a whole this team has alot of promise. They are my sleeper pick to win their division this year and as far as the next couple of years they are definatly going to make some noise in the NFC.

Steel_Bus_24
09-17-2007, 09:19 PM
Their D is pretty fast, and it will probably be tough sledding for Willie in the 1st. Ben will have to convert those 3rd down passes.

We stop Gore like we should then our D should feast on Smith.

Its pretty much like last week...if we don't hurt ourselves with fumbles or poor ST play then we should wear em down in the 2nd half.

Steelers win 20-10

steelpride12
09-17-2007, 09:22 PM
the 49ers have scored 20 & 17 points against average at best defenses - AZ and StL....they won't be able to put up points against the Steelers D...Alex Smith didn't throw a TD pass in either game....I'm not worried

I agree i think the 49er's will struggle prob. 2 INT of Alex Smith and an easy 17-3 victory!

Kvnfaber
09-18-2007, 11:43 AM
The 49ers strength on Offense is Frank Gore and the Running game. The Steelers strength on defense is stopping the run. This obviosuly works out in the Steelers favor. I'm thinking a defensive battle for most of the game with the Steelers Offense coming on late in the game. The 49ers have some great young talent, but will be brough back down to earth with a little punch in the mouth from the guys in the black and gold :D

Steelers -24
49ers -10

Polly
09-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Stop frank gore and we win, simple as that. And if I were frank gore, stiller rush D is the last D I would like to go against, and Im not just saying that because im a stillers fan, but the stillers really do pride themselves on stopping the run and running the ball. If alex smith shows up, its ganna be a long game, and based on that O line the 49ers have, hes sure to have one against pittsburgh

aries4972
09-18-2007, 12:39 PM
If you dont hear Troy's name called a lot it means our defence is playing well at the line of scrimmage. though i have no doubt you WILL hear Troy's name called alot this season that just goes to show what type of player he is (BEST SAFETY IN FOOTBALL). I have a feeling this 07 D might be the best we've had in a few years.

TackleMeBen
09-18-2007, 12:55 PM
i think it will be a close game (or at least i hope so):cheer:

Sphinx002
09-18-2007, 01:09 PM
They allow an average of 111 yards rushing so far and about 215 yards passing and this was against the Cards and Rams. Their offense has been offensive. I'd say if we play our game, we're all set.

BurghZ0n3
09-18-2007, 01:26 PM
If we can score early....and Ben keeps his coolness.....runs the clock most of the 2nd half.....27-10 will do it.....more TDs than FGs now!

dragtruk
09-18-2007, 01:35 PM
You guys are soooo lucky. I live in complainerville (New England) as a displaced Steeler fan (grew up in central PA). I never get to see any of the games, but I do get more Patriot games than my stomach can handle. It's responsible for my ulcer. Please God help me! I only wish I could get Steeler games every Sunday. No Satellite, no direct tv. I am in Patriot HELL!!!! My wife is a Pats fan, so every Sunday I wear my Steelers shirt just to piss her off. I'm patiently waiting for the day those bastards return to the old Boston Patriots days so I can shove it in everyone's face.
I still have the same arguments backing me up though. "Who won a superbowl more recently????" "Who has five rings as opposed to three????" "Who's been in more superbowls????" "Who stomped the colts?????" heh, heh, STEELERS RULE!!!!

Lord Stiller
09-18-2007, 02:59 PM
I hear ya dragtruk! I'm living in Baltimore now and their moronic fans are completely dilusional.

Fortunately though there are half a dozen Steelers bars in the area so I never miss a game :)

Polly
09-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Damn I've never liked the patriots but there goes real patriot hate right there

hmm, I would suggest getting sopcast if you have a fast internet (dls or cable or somethin higher) it aint the best quality but it sure beats watching the patriots every sunday

rog
09-18-2007, 03:12 PM
You guys are soooo lucky. I live in complainerville (New England) as a displaced Steeler fan (grew up in central PA). I never get to see any of the games, but I do get more Patriot games than my stomach can handle. It's responsible for my ulcer. Please God help me! I only wish I could get Steeler games every Sunday. No Satellite, no direct tv. I am in Patriot HELL!!!! My wife is a Pats fan, so every Sunday I wear my Steelers shirt just to piss her off. I'm patiently waiting for the day those bastards return to the old Boston Patriots days so I can shove it in everyone's face.
I still have the same arguments backing me up though. "Who won a superbowl more recently????" "Who has five rings as opposed to three????" "Who's been in more superbowls????" "Who stomped the colts?????" heh, heh, STEELERS RULE!!!!

So a how you really feel?lol

LVSteelersfan
09-18-2007, 04:30 PM
I am lucky that I have a Steelers bar about a mile up the freeway at JC Whooloughan's Irish Pub. We have a Terrible Towel club there that I am a member of. If they are not on TV, I go to the bar to watch them. And it has been packed so far this year. My wife does like and understand football but she is a Denver fan. But she does watch the games with me if they are on local tv. It is a 49er game so it will be televised locally in Las Vegas this week.

sixstringlass
09-18-2007, 04:51 PM
I am lucky that I have a Steelers bar about a mile up the freeway at JC Whooloughan's Irish Pub. We have a Terrible Towel club there that I am a member of. If they are not on TV, I go to the bar to watch them. And it has been packed so far this year. My wife does like and understand football but she is a Denver fan. But she does watch the games with me if they are on local tv. It is a 49er game so it will be televised locally in Las Vegas this week.

No such luck for me here. The closest Steelers bar for me is 26 miles away. Finally had to break down and get the Sunday Ticket. The Titans/Colts game was the only one on, and I just couldn't take it. There was no way I was going to watch Pay-me-a-ton AGAIN.

SteelDogFan
09-18-2007, 08:00 PM
You know how some thought that Nebraska (ranked 14 at the time might give USC a run for their money. Then when the game started the looked as though they were in another league. Well I don't mean that the 49's don't have a chance at all but I do beleive the Steelers are a much better team.

49's NFL rankings

PTS 18.5 ................(19th)

Total YDS 190.0 ..(32nd)

PASS YDS 99.5 ....(31st)

RUSH YDS 90.5 ...(23rd)

Their offense is in trouble against the Steelers D.

lilyoder6
09-18-2007, 08:27 PM
i think that there off is underated by the ranks/numbers.. they have some nice threats on offense who can make big plays... and patrick willis is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elvis
09-18-2007, 08:43 PM
The Steelers are gonna be in a dogfight this weekend... oops....did I say that?:sofunny::toofunny:
What I meant to say is... the Steelers are gonna have a hard time this weekend, even though all stats say the Steelers should easily win this one. But I dont think that its gonna be that way for some reason. The Niners play pretty good defense and that always gives them a chance to win games if they can keep them close at the end. I love the fact that we are playing at home for sure, too bad there not calling for Snow!! Like 9" worth... I think that we should handle this game, as long as we are NOT Overlooking them to the Cardinals game in 2 weeks...
:tt02:

risnuff
09-18-2007, 08:57 PM
It's been said before, but I'll say it again. Stop Frank Gore, and you've stopped the Niners' offense, unless Alex Smith shows us something we haven't seen before. The Steelers should be more concerned with not beating themselves by turning the ball over and making mistakes like they did against that other team from the Bay last year, than they should the 49ers beating them.

NateC
09-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Im in Total Aggrement with the mass's on this one. Stop the run of course. and Let the young QB try and pick us apart. This guy Alex Smith is Still in the " Let me Look at one reciever and see if he's open.. IF not ill RUN mode" thats at least what im seeing over 2 weeks. I dont trust in Smith at this point to just Coldheartedly pick us apart at heinz field for one and i really dont think he is gonna be picking us apart after we rattle him with the pass rush. If he gets on a roll however he may be feeling himself and will need sacked or picked off for me to just assume victory. :tt02:

stillers4me
09-19-2007, 05:44 AM
I was snooping on a niners board and 3/4 of the posters predict a Steelers win!!!!!

They didn't sound too confident in their own team.

TackleMeBen
09-19-2007, 07:19 AM
that is b/c they probably think the steelers are the better team. i mean so far we look pretty good on both sides of the ball... like i said before, i am torn in this game b/c i like the 49ers.

Buzz05
09-19-2007, 07:21 AM
I hear ya dragtruk! I'm living in Baltimore now and their moronic fans are completely dilusional.

Fortunately though there are half a dozen Steelers bars in the area so I never miss a game :)

Yeah Im here in Baltimore too. About say...4 blocks from M&T Bank Stadium....the Ravens fans are pretty dillusional like you said. Although there are a lot of Steeler fans and there are actually some pretty cool Ravens fans with their heads on...usually the older people who know football. The younger fans are just douche bags who think drug dealers and murderers on your team should be the norm.

As for the 49ers game...stop Gore....we win by 20. Gore is the heart of that Offense. Smith hasnt faced a defense like ours yet period. And he wont know where the blitz is coming from. Gore will have maybe 75-80 yards but Smith will throw a pick or 2 and get sacked atleast 4 or 5 times. Steelers roll in another blow out.

vasteeler
09-19-2007, 11:40 AM
you guys are being conservitive steelers 35 9ers3:tt02:

TackleMeBen
09-19-2007, 11:43 AM
you guys are being conservitive steelers 35 9ers3:tt02:

what about steelers 3 and 9ers 35??? just kidding.. :wink02:

NateC
09-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Im terrible with predicting Scores. i would not be suprised... SUPRISED, mind you if this Guy Alex Smith Stepped it up, With Coach Nolan All Suited up Dressed to Impress I think it would be Amazing Sports TV/Radio Talk. They are Waiting to Put this dude Alex Smith into the Next Echelon of "Star QB's" If he can somehow look Good Vs the Steelers We are not gonna hear the end of it.

Lol My prediction is Coach Nolin is Gonna be Loosinging that tie when the heat starts to turn up, These 49's are about to be thrown into A pressure Cooker, thanks to Labeau. im more excited to see what Alex smith is Made of Than im worried about sunday thats for sure. But damn if he does happen to keep this close or pull this off.... Ill be showing much more respect to this San Francisco Franchise......

MAKE THIS DUDE LOOK SILLY IN HIS SUIT STEELERS! :smile:

TackleMeBen
09-19-2007, 12:18 PM
just a little bit of info i thought i would share

The last time Niners played the Steelers it was on Monday Night Football...2003.The Niners won 30 -14 !!!! Heres another stat...Out of 18 games vs Steelers.. Niners are 10-8...!!!!

Jman
09-19-2007, 12:30 PM
just a little bit of info i thought i would share

The last time Niners played the Steelers it was on Monday Night Football...2003.The Niners won 30 -14 !!!! Heres another stat...Out of 18 games vs Steelers.. Niners are 10-8...!!!!

I don't rely on history too much, unless it is recent history. Teams can drastically change even in one year.

In any case, I do believe the 49ers are doing well this year and good for them. Steelers I'm hoping will emerge victorious, and I'm sorry 49ers fans, I don't see any valid reason for believing otherwise.

BurghZ0n3
09-19-2007, 12:51 PM
say, thought Steelers ransacked 9ers back in 1999, when I was in New Orleans watching it after my switch project done down there...on Monday night. Forget the score though...

ChronoCross
09-19-2007, 01:52 PM
I think we keep up what we have been doing the best. Stopping there run. We will run up the points and they will score max 7 if that. They depend on Gore and Smith. Well Smith is not doing good at all and Gore has yet to be able to gain 100 yards on the first 2 teams he has faced. There offense has only a total of 380 yards were as there defense has given up 683 yards. They have been very lucky so far to win there first two games. We have not given up a 100 yard rusher since nov of 2005 to james, I like how were looking going into this game and there fans are not liking how they look.

38 - 7 Gore gets maybe 65 yards and Smith throws for maybe 160 yards if that.. Parker runs for 135 yards and Ben passes for 235 yards no INTs. I might be alittle off on the yards it could be a lot more for us..

Dino 6 Rings
09-19-2007, 03:53 PM
As I predicted with the Bills game, who people indicated would be tough because of emotion. Its about talent and coaching. We are better in both areas.

Or defense will dominate, and most likely will keep them out of the redzone to settle for 35+ yard field goals, 3 at most. The offense will be more efficient in the redzone, as I'm sure that was "in the news" this week for Tomlin. Steelers will move the ball against the 9ers front 7, will pass across the middle and will score.

My final, 34 (4 touchdowns, 2 field goals) to 9. Willie out mid way in the 3rd, Najeh having a field day late pounding the ball down their throats.

steelpride12
09-19-2007, 06:00 PM
I don't rely on history too much, unless it is recent history. Teams can drastically change even in one year.

In any case, I do believe the 49ers are doing well this year and good for them. Steelers I'm hoping will emerge victorious, and I'm sorry 49ers fans, I don't see any valid reason for believing otherwise.

Agreed it's not the past anymore it's the new steeler generation thats gunna make Alex miracle comeback season thinks he's perfect because he beat shit defenses cry!

OStigers2000
09-19-2007, 08:08 PM
So I am going to take it most Steelers fans are predicting a blow out? I doubt that is going to happen and we are under estimated big time but we are use to this. Maybe that will change come by Sunday 7pm

offtackle24
09-19-2007, 08:19 PM
wow, I never seen so much confidence for a team. I willingly admit I am a niner fan, but I havent come here to troll. I just want to ask where is this confidence coming from when only 2 games have been played this season.

MACH1
09-19-2007, 08:20 PM
If we stop gore I think we'll be just fine.

MACH1
09-19-2007, 08:21 PM
wow, I never seen so much confidence for a team. I willingly admit I am a niner fan, but I havent come here to troll. I just want to ask where is this confidence coming from when only 2 games have been played this season.

Unlike the 9ers were not waiting for the wheels to fall off.

Heres to a good game. :cheers:

offtackle24
09-19-2007, 08:27 PM
k......you insult my team and then wish a good game........

:cheers: i guess........

stillers4me
09-19-2007, 08:36 PM

Because we're the Steelers!!!!!!!!! :tt02:

And we don't need no stinkin' cheerleaders!!! :tt02:

oops.....sorry......that's for another post................ :flap:

MACH1
09-19-2007, 08:40 PM
k......you insult my team and then wish a good game........

:cheers: i guess........

Yeah just became a habit this week, cause my dad's a huge 9er fan and every time I see him he's been talking smack.

So I'm going to have him come over drink a beer and watch the 9ers lose with me. Its gonna be great. :sofunny:

MasterOfPuppets
09-19-2007, 08:41 PM
So I am going to take it most Steelers fans are predicting a blow out? I doubt that is going to happen and we are under estimated big time but we are use to this. Maybe that will change come by Sunday 7pm hey !!! thats exactly what the browns and bills fans that stopped by said.....:thumbsup:

stillers4me
09-19-2007, 08:42 PM
So I'm going to have him come over drink a beer and watch the 9ers lose with me. Its gonna be great. :sofunny:

What a guy!! :flap:

MasterOfPuppets
09-19-2007, 08:48 PM
wow, I never seen so much confidence for a team. I willingly admit I am a niner fan, but I havent come here to troll. I just want to ask where is this confidence coming from when only 2 games have been played this season. well lets see....we were 8 -8 last year. we saw it as a horrible disaterous fluke year......
if you were 8-8 last year....you'd have seen it as improvement !!!!

get it now ??? :thumbsup:

OStigers2000
09-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Well for one thing we aren't the Brown or the Bills. We actually have talent but of course I can tell we are getting no respect from you all. I love the Steelers and I admire your team a lot and have been following your team for over 10 years since I live here in va. But I just can't believe this fan base. Mainly your fans who are coming onto our board and just talk all these paragraphs and praise our team and how good we are coming along and we are good here but then say the outcome will be 34-10. That's like buying us a dinner than smacking us in the face afterwards. I give you and your team the up most respect but we sure are not getting it back especially coming to our board and just all your fans disrespecting our fan base and team.

offtackle24
09-19-2007, 09:09 PM
so your confidence is from the past, but considering we have added five new starters on d I would have to say that we are completely different than the 7-9 record last year.

stillers4me
09-19-2007, 09:14 PM
so your confidence is from the past, but considering we have added five new starters on d I would have to say that we are completely different than the 7-9 record last year.

Wrong...............we have complete confidence in the team that's on the field today. :coffee:

MasterOfPuppets
09-19-2007, 09:23 PM
the bottom line is, thier a one dimensional team. your passing game sucks, so that leaves gore to carry the team. it just so happens pittsburgh's specialty is stopping the run. nobodys got 100 yds on them for like...45 games or so.(including playoffs).

MJ5150
09-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Last year, as I drove from my home in Olympia to Oakland with a car full of my Steeler loving buddies, we all went on and on about how the Steelers were going to light up the Raiders and their crappy QB. I walked around Fishermans Wharf that Sunday night in a foggy haze completely blown away with how terrible my Steelers played. That haze lifted after about a week, but I was still in shock.

With that in mind, I say the 49ers roll into Heinz Field and tag us with our first loss of the year. Frank Gore is going to go buck wild.

Do I want to make that pick? Nope. This game is scary to me.

-Mike

OStigers2000
09-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Well since your fans want to come on our board so I took it upon myself to come on here and talk football between our two squads on you alls. To start off, I love your team and what your franchise is all about and have been following it over 10 years since I live here in va.

For our team and I will start with our defense since it's been our biggest chip this year. So far this group has been oustanding and has gel together to surprise many people. We have two pro bowl corners in N. Clements who is a shut down corner and W. Harris who led the NFC last year with 8 INTS. We also have pro bowl SS M. Lewis who is coming back to his old form when he was a pro bowler with the Eagles, and a decent coverage FS in M. Roman who is playing really well this year except his stupid taunt penalty. Our LBS are one of the best up and coming in the business and we have some of the fastest ones too. ILB P. Willis is a monster and is all over the place destroying good RBs, and blasting QBs on the ground like rag dolls. OLB M. Lawson is coming along great, he is great in coverage, has blazing speed for a LB and is good at rushing the QB and stopping the run. ILB B. Moore is a pass rusher mainly and a great run stopping LB who swaps in and out with our horrible veteran LB D. Smith. OLB T. Banta-Cain is primary a pass rusher coming off the end really good but sometimes seems to over pursuit at times but is still affective. Our front 3 have been surprising being lead by veteran all pro bowl DE B. Young who leads the NFL in sacks at 3 and a up and coming great NT I. Sopoaga who is big and very strong (50+ reps for the combine bench few years back) and veteran DE M. Douglas is solid. We've stopped one of the best WR tandum in the league in Boldin/Fitz and shut down T. Holt of the Rams. however they do not have the line you all have and I believe for us on defense is a big role if we were to win this game needs to be done.

Big Ben to me is one of the toughest SOB QBs in the game and I would like to see how he handles our pass rush this Sunday. Will he be the good one or will he be the one that throws 3 INTS. Parker is fast, behind a good line. I know he can take it to the house at anytime and I am sure P. Willis will be all over him all day long and you will see exactly what I am talking about. Ward will be shut down by Clements and I think your best bet to throw the ball is towards W. Harris side to Holmes. Now which Harris will show up, who knows he can pick many balls off like he did last year and in the AZ game against A. Boldin.

On our offense, play calling has been very conservative except when we needed that touchdown in the AZ game within 3 mins to play to march 85 yards down the field to win the game. Other than that, it has been mediocre and very conservative. We actually do have a great O line in LT J. Jennings who is a better run blocker than pass blocker, LG L. Allen is well you all should know what he is about, the strongest O Lineman in the league, C E. Heitmann who is very smart and good, RG J. smiley and D. Baas swap out here and there and both are very good at reading blitzes and great run blockers but I know they will have there hands full with NT C. Hampton. Rookie RT J. Staley who is actually coming along really great is who splendid in pass blocking and took DE L. Little out the game last week who has been great in his career but he hasn't been that great of a run blocker and we are hoping that will come some time soon. TE V. Davis is suppose to be the best athletic TE but we haven't used him period. I think a main key to beat you all is to use him against your defense and I firmly believe no one in your LB corp or safeties could cover him since he runs a 4.37 in a 40. your fastest CB is I. Taylor who runs 4.3 something and I am certain he will be on WR D. Jackson the whole game who is more of a possession WR than anything who has so far this year drop a lot of passes but has made a few key catches. Battls is another solid WR who will come over the middle and snatch that tough catch and is not afraid at all no matter how hard he gets hit to make that catch and he has done it against tough defenses (Chargers, Bears last year) and our 3rd WR T. Jacobs is a joke, shouldn't be there and should be replaced by WR A. Lelie who is a deep threat that we would need in this game to spread out your defense since your D loves to play very tight and fast quarters to shut their opponents down. RB F. Gore is a great runner and he is nothing you all have faced, he doesn't run like LT, he doesn't run like LJ nor J. lewis he has his own style of running and if our line particular Allen is doing his blocking will find his holes. Yes I know your D has only given up 1 100 yard rusher in I think 42 games but I wouldn't be surprised if he got over a 100 or under.

We have a great special teams starting with P A. Lee who will kick 60 to 75 yard punts down field like he did last game and does this on a continue bases and reason why your team wanted him in the offseason but we matched your offer. He will back your offense within the 20 and our players will get down field real quick to cause turnovers or no yards in return at all. I hope your returner calls fair catch or otherwise he will muff it and put us at your 20 or 10 and giving us a great chance to punch it in. We have caused many TOs this year on special teams and a great returner in D. Hall found that out the hard way.

In all I am looking forward to a great game between us, I wish you all wouldn't take us lightly but we are use to it and we will surprise you and I know through this entire writing 90% of you are going to say I am full of ish but it's the truth. I know most of you all are predicting blow out but they will not happen for neither side. I predict a very close game and I know your team plays better on the road than they do in their own stadium so no offense I am hoping that goes again this Sunday for our favor. I hope no one gets injured in the game and everyone makes it off the field of play safe for both sides and we have a good sportsmanship quality football game. I wish your team luck and yes of course I am hoping my team wins and I know every one of you are going to say BS about this but I am predicting upset 49ers 17 steelers 14.

OStigers2000
09-19-2007, 09:42 PM
You know nothing about our team and give them no respect so keep taking them lightly. You didn't have to rebuild like us so bringing up our past to what we would be pleased about doesn't matter for today. Oh and we are surely not the Browns and Bills neither teams can play defense or special teams. You'll find out Sunday and lets see what you say then about my 49ers.

MJ5150
09-19-2007, 10:15 PM
You know nothing about our team and give them no respect so keep taking them lightly.

Calm down bro. Not everyone here thinks that way.

So what kind of chance do you give Alex Smith on Sunday? Will the 49er secondary shut down Big Ben? Do you think the 49er LB's will keep Willie Parker under 100 yards rushing? It would be cool to here a reason for your answers too.

-Mike

OStigers2000
09-19-2007, 10:35 PM
Just been putting up with a lot of your fans on our boards just talking the most ultimate junk. As far as A. Smith goes, I am not sure which one will show up. He needs to use his weapons primarily TE V. Davis, he either plays a decent game with no mistakes and gets that drive we need to beat a good team or he crumbles and we get slaughtered. Our Secondary will shut down Big Ben to an extent, it all revolves on TOs. If you all get god field position, I am certain Ben will put one in during the redzone but for marching down the field, that won't happen with this new defense. Willie Parker has been amazing this year no doubt, and P. Willis has been an animal a R. Lewis clone. I think he will keep Willie under 100 yards but the question is keeping him out the endzone and Willis will do that if he plays like he has been playing. My point taken on this game will revolve on TOs and special teams. Where who has what in start of their drives. It's going to be a great defensive game and who ever plays the better turnover ratio and maximizes from it and plays smart and good special teams will win. So far we have played great special teams and which has given us great field position and we maximize that. We cause a lot of turnovers and only given up a couple fumbles this year. I think either A we win 17-14 or we lose 14-17 it all depends on S/T and TOs. But no one on either offenses is going to have a big day. Maybe a big drive at the end but not a big game. If they do it would surprise me but hey it's the NFL and its full of surprises.

tony hipchest
09-19-2007, 11:00 PM
Well since your fans want to come on our board so I took it upon myself to come on here and talk football between our two squads on you alls. To start off, I love your team and what your franchise is all about and have been following it over 10 years since I live here in va.

In all I am looking forward to a great game between us, I wish you all wouldn't take us lightly but we are use to it and we will surprise you and I know through this entire writing 90% of you are going to say I am full of ish but it's the truth. I know most of you all are predicting blow out but they will not happen for neither side. I predict a very close game and I know your team plays better on the road than they do in their own stadium so no offense I am hoping that goes again this Sunday for our favor. I hope no one gets injured in the game and everyone makes it off the field of play safe for both sides and we have a good sportsmanship quality football game. I wish your team luck and yes of course I am hoping my team wins and I know every one of you are going to say BS about this but I am predicting upset 49ers 17 steelers 14.

great breakdown of your team.

1st of all, i think you know most steelerfans think the steelers could, should, and will win over SF.

but its not from taking your team lightly by alot of fans. alot of steelerfans are seeing a more veteran and mature team than the one that won the superbowl 2 years ago.

sure we lost chris hope. but we gained clark and smith in the process.

randle el left but holmes and washington have more than proved to be an adequate replacement.

unfortunately jerome is gone, but in his absence willie parker is breaking and emerging on steelers rushing records. najeh is better than duce.

kimo is gone but keisell is better.

porter is gone but harrison starting seems to be an upgrade to this point. add in timmons and woodley and porters loss is more than addressed. (and to think we looked at t. bunta cain)

i gotta mention our offense. in our SB year 2 years ago ben was a 2nd year player, willie a 1st year starter, holmes was playing his final year of college, and miller was just a rookie. n. washington had just been activated off the practice squad. just like alex smith, gore, and davis are expected to develop, and grow with experience, so are our guys.

to top it all off i think we have upgraded the coaching staff. arians is just taking over the offense just like whiz was when the steelers went 15-1. i dont expect him to struggle. you cant say enough about lebeau who is the best defensive coordinator out there. the steelers have really lost nothing going from tomlin to cowher, infact there are areas where they have gained.

with all this being said, i think the steelers need to focus on vernon davis a tad bit more than f. gore. we will not be manning up on vernon, and ike has shown he can handle jackson in the sb (even when playing 12 yds off him).

nolan will know from his baltimore days that the way to attack the zone blitz is with a top TE. this probably why there hasnt been many catches by vernon to this point (4 rec) on film. i think the 49ers will call his number early and often until he is stopped. he will probably be double teamed, and a safety better always be around the scene to hit him (im not sure if they will beat him up).

i still dont see the 49ers scoring more than 14 points, and the steelers can manage 17+. i think the steelers are appraoching every game as a "must win" game after last years melt down. im not sure SF can bring that same sense of urgency.

FWIW lawson and willis could be an emerging top LB duo in the league, i dont know if theres a pair of 1st or 2nd year young talent i would rather have (other than woodley and timmons maybe). gore is a 3rd round steal version of FA willie parker. i wouldnt be all too shocked for him to have 80-110 strong yards in a loss. and you can thank the steelers for your punter lee. we established his market value for the niners and got you a long term bargain. if the rooneys were shady like other teams not beyond cheating, they couldve included a poison pill in his contract.

OStigers2000
09-19-2007, 11:36 PM
nice break down in your post and your point of views which to me are much better than the ones trolling our board. I value everything you said and give you the up most respect. In all I feel it's going to be a tough battle unless we roll over and say "next game coach" but I think it'll be tough especially through S/T. So good luck this Sunday and I hope and pray no one on either side of teams will get injured. I would rather get smeared than to have anyone hurt, after that Kevin Everett bit I just have a whole new attitude towards hitting people and getting them injured. I just want everyone to be able to walk safely off the field with good sportsmanship.

OStigers2000
09-19-2007, 11:41 PM
Ok I got some news for our side, it is a big possibly our OLB M. Lawson could miss a big amount of time this year and it's more of a fact he will not be in this game for us which is not good at all. so eh not good :crutches:

DaHonorable49er
09-20-2007, 01:43 AM
Ok I got some news for our side, it is a big possibly our OLB M. Lawson could miss a big amount of time this year and it's more of a fact he will not be in this game for us which is not good at all. so eh not good :crutches:
Manny is listed as Probable at the moment according to Yahoo, but wait on the official word from the team to get the final verdict.

I would like to say that I am looking for a competitive game. It depends on what kind of game either team brings that will produce the outcome. If the offense wakes up, the game could be one to watch. If we minimize our penalties and turnovers and create Steeler turnovers, we should be in good shape. The offense needs to find away to get the play makers the ball. Alex needs to be faster in his check downs and not spend to much time locking on to one or two guys in order to eliminate the amount of punishment and sacks from Lebou's(sp?) complicated Blitzes.

The Steelers provide one of the best Blitz packages, but we also come with a nice package. If Manny is healthy, look for #99 to be everywhere on the field from coverages to pass rushing. You'll get a good dose of Patrick Willis also. You guys will have an opportunity to get some passes completed because I suspect that Michael Lewis will play in the box a lot to help contain Parker. The one weakness you can exploit is getting whoever your coaches choose on a miss match with Derek Smith. He is one of the weakest links on the team. If he plays well, I'd be very surprised. I personally think his time is up, but somehow he still manages to be in the starting lineup.

Here's to a good game, injury free for both teams, and hopefully a Niner victory on the road in the Steel City!

SCSTILLER
09-20-2007, 09:18 AM
By: Mike Bires
09/20/2007
Email to a friendPrinter-friendly
PITTSBURGH - Frank Gore is a marked man. So is Alex Smith.

Advertisement

Gore, the focal point of the San Francisco 49ers' offense, may be one of the NFL's most complete running backs. But the Steelers' can't wait to face him.

Likewise for Smith, the Niners' promising young quarterback.

"(Smith) is probably watching film of us right now and wondering what the heck are they doing," Steelers linebacker Larry Foote said. "Hopefully, he'll be thinking of us all week because he knows Coach LeBeau is going to show him something different."

On Sunday at Heinz Field when the 49ers (2-0) play the Steelers (2-0), Gore and Smith will try to move the ball and score against a Steelers' defense which has been downright stingy so far.

It's early, and the Steelers have played two of the weaker teams on their schedule. But with wily defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau devising the schemes, the defense has dominated two opponents in wins of 34-7 over the Cleveland Browns and 26-3 over the Buffalo Bills.

Ranked sixth in the league in total yards allowed per game, the Steelers rank first in fewest first downs allowed (23) and fewest points allowed (10). They're tied for first with 10 sacks. They rank second in fewest yards per play (4.0).

"The guys are playing hard. They're playing fast. They're playing together," coach Mike Tomlin said. "I know that sounds very simple. But that's just the nature of defensive football. We're dictating what happens on the field. We're not allowing offenses to dictate it to us. When you do those things, you have a chance to be very good."

When it comes to stopping the run, few teams have done it better than the Steelers over the years.

By holding Buffalo's Marshawn Lynch to 64 yards, the Steelers extended their streak of denying opposing backs to rush for 100 yards or more to 27 straight games.

"I didn't know it was 27 games, but I do know that Edgerrin James was the last back to get 100 on us," nose tackle Casey Hampton said. "But that was in the regular-season. We shut him down in the playoffs, so ..."

Yes, it was James, who's now playing for the Arizona Cardinals, who last rushed for 100 yards against the Steelers. That happened on a Monday night game on Nov. 28, 2005 when James rushed for 124 in the Indianapolis Colts' 26-7 win over the Steelers in the RCA Dome.

But seven weeks later in the AFC Divisional Playoff round, the Steelers held James to 56 in a 21-18 win.

"We always want to hold (opposing backs) to under 100 yards," Hampton said. "We talk about it all the time. That's what we do. We like to think our run defense is one of the best in the league and we pride ourselves on that."

Next up for Hampton and his pals on defense is Gore, the former Miami Hurricanes star who set 49er single-season records last year with 1,695 yards and 312 carries. Gore, a third-round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft, also led the Niners with 61 receptions for 485 yards.

In San Francisco's two wins this year, Gore has yet to really get untracked. In a 20-17 decision over Arizona, he rushed for only 55 yards. He rushed for 81 yards in a 17-16 victory over the St. Louis Rams. But he still hasn't surpassed 100 - something he did nine games last year.

"The 49ers are built (offensively) around the exploits of Frank Gore," Tomlin said. "He's got a complete football game."

Besides concentrating on Gore, the Steelers also plan to harass Smith, the No. 1 overall pick of the '05 draft.

After a dreadful rookie season in which he threw only one touchdown pass and 11 interceptions, Smith improved last year with a 16-16 TD pass-interception ratio. He's yet to throw for a TD or interception this year. But by avoiding critical errors, he's doing his part to help San Francisco improve on last year's 7-9 record.

"He's going to see things we haven't shown yet," Foote said of Smith. "Coach LeBeau hasn't shown all our new packages yet. I know everyone's waiting on it. I'm waiting on it. You just never know what Coach LeBeau is going to run."

Whatever schemes LeBeau has called so far, the Steelers' defense has executed them with near perfection.

And that certainly doesn't bode well for Gore and Smith.

?Beaver County Times Allegheny Times 2007

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18835183&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478568&rfi=6

So, Lebeau and the Steelers haven't shown everything yet, scary thought. I see the streak going to 28 games and Smith throwing his first INT. Any thoughts?

DACEB
09-20-2007, 10:06 AM
This should be an interesting game for our offense. I think the 49ers have a very good defense. Ben needs to be careful with the ball, don't just chuck it Ben.

Our defense should have pretty much the same results as weeks 1 & 2. Young QBs have not faired well against our D. They need to keep VD under wraps though, that could be a test. I don't believe Gore gets 100 yds.

It's nice to hear from the 49er fans, great posts!! Here's to a good game.

OStigers2000
09-20-2007, 10:44 AM
:cheers:

DaHonorable49er
09-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Well, you guys can breathe a little easier about Lawson....

jd2
09-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Here's to a good game for both teams.:cheers:
But I am looking for a steeler win.
Steelers 21
SF 7

alittlejazzbird
09-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Manny is listed as Probable at the moment according to Yahoo, but wait on the official word from the team to get the final verdict.

Here's the verdict (and sorry to hear it - would never wish such a thing on any opposing player):

Lawson Tears ACL, Out for Season

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) - Linebacker Manny Lawson will miss the rest of the San Francisco 49ers' season after tearing a ligament in his left knee.

Lawson, a starting outside linebacker in the 49ers' 3-4 defensive scheme, went down with the injury during Wednesday's practice. The injury didn't initially appear to be serious, and Lawson rode on a stationary bike for the rest of the team's workout.
But tests determined Thursday that Lawson tore his anterior cruciate ligament.

Lawson is second on the team with 14 tackles, showing impressive improvement from his rookie year. He started 11 games last season after San Francisco chose him with the 22nd overall selection, making 65 tackles and 2 1/2 sacks.

Veteran Hannibal Navies and seldom-used second-year pro Parys Haralson are the top candidates to replace Lawson.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7247056

OStigers2000
09-20-2007, 03:37 PM
This is not good for us and we do not have a decent player to take his place. this is a huge lose to our LB corp. It's the second worse one we could have. First would be losing P. Willis but yea this sets our defense back unless they put B. Moore back on the outside and have D. Smith and P. Willis in the middle. But D. Smith is just old and misses everything and isn't much a factor. Point matter this makes even more reason for your team to win. This really sucks for us because we were looking forward to seeing Lawson having a great year and was on pace for that as well. He is our fatest LB, runs a 4.35 at his pro day. This sucks :crying03:

alittlejazzbird
09-20-2007, 03:46 PM
This is not good for us and we do not have a decent player to take his place. this is a huge lose to our LB corp. It's the second worse one we could have. First would be losing P. Willis but yea this sets our defense back unless they put B. Moore back on the outside and have D. Smith and P. Willis in the middle.

This is one Steelers fan who is sorry for your misfortune....we all know what it's like to have a key player injured and what it can do to your team.

DaHonorable49er
09-20-2007, 04:01 PM
This is one Steelers fan who is sorry for your misfortune....we all know what it's like to have a key player injured and what it can do to your team.
Class words from a Steeler. Here's to an injury free game by both teams.

TackleMeBen
09-20-2007, 04:11 PM
this sucks for the 49ers. i like them in the NFC. i hope that they will be able to overcome this and still have a good season.

OStigers2000
09-20-2007, 04:50 PM
You are very respectful and honorable Steeler fans and I think you all are amazing and great people. Thank you for your kind words and welcoming me on this board. You show top class for a great organization. I know we play you all this Sunday, but for some reason I am going to be routing for your team as well and I would love to see your team in the Super Bowl. :cheers: to the best fans I've debated with

MJ5150
09-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the reply to my question OStigers. I can totally see what you describe happening. I just don't think Willis is ready for Carey Davis and Dan Kreider quite yet. Maybe in a year or so....

As far as Alex Smith, I think he is still a couple years away from being a solid NFL QB. I don't picture him doing well with the defensive schemes LeBeau will throw at him. The Arizona and St. Louis defenses are bad, and he wasn't able to do anything against them.

-Mike

tony hipchest
09-20-2007, 05:05 PM
You are very respectful and honorable Steeler fans and I think you all are amazing and great people. Thank you for your kind words and welcoming me on this board. You show top class for a great organization. I know we play you all this Sunday, but for some reason I am going to be routing for your team as well and I would love to see your team in the Super Bowl. :cheers: to the best fans I've debated withfeel more than welcome to stick around after this weeks match up. we pretty much encourage other teams fans to stick around. hell, even a few respectable brownsfans are still around after we handed their team their ass in the opener. and i know you'll be a steeler fan in week 4.

thet sucks about lawson. i was really looking forward to watching since i had wanted the steelers to draft him last year. what really sucks is it happenend in practice.

OStigers2000
09-21-2007, 12:46 AM
Yea I am gonna stick around this board for the rest of the year and yes I am going to love you all even more when you face the Cards, Seahawks and Rams. I know for a fact those are 3 easy wins for you all. Which surely benefits us.

BurghZ0n3
09-21-2007, 11:14 AM
I'd like to see us playing like in 1999 on MNF....we will prevail with our winning streak : 27-10 :helmet::banging:

Black@Gold Forever32
09-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Well for one thing we aren't the Brown or the Bills. We actually have talent but of course I can tell we are getting no respect from you all. I love the Steelers and I admire your team a lot and have been following your team for over 10 years since I live here in va. But I just can't believe this fan base. Mainly your fans who are coming onto our board and just talk all these paragraphs and praise our team and how good we are coming along and we are good here but then say the outcome will be 34-10. That's like buying us a dinner than smacking us in the face afterwards. I give you and your team the up most respect but we sure are not getting it back especially coming to our board and just all your fans disrespecting our fan base and team.

The so called Steelers expert from the Niners official board....:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny: The same guy that said Ike Taylor wasn't fast.......:toofunny:

Petesburgh66
09-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Spaeth will be out this week with a quad injury

http://www.nfl.com/injuries

steelpride12
09-21-2007, 09:36 PM
Spaeth will be out this week with a quad injury

http://www.nfl.com/injuries

Ya i heard kinda sucks but i think Tuman can carry the backup job just fine.

83-Steelers-43
09-22-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm confident that we can shut down Gore and get to Smith, but the player who concerns me in this game is Vernon Davis. We tend to struggle when it comes to teams utilizing the TE. Opposing tight ends have six receptions for 102 yards against us in the regular season.

Winslow averaged 20.8 yards on four catches.

During the preseason game against the Skins Cooley caught five passses for 60 yards, including a 29-yard gain.

Would be nice to see us put an end to that little trend. It's not much fun watching opposing TE's shred your secondary.

Smashmouth225
09-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Pittsburgh- 27
49er's-10
It will probably be close for the 1st quarter then the flood gates will open on the 49er's. Good team we are playing tho, but just not ready yet for a team like the Steelers on the road. Wouldn't be suprised if they snuck into the play-offs in the NFC.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-22-2007, 06:08 PM
I'm gonna say Steelers win 31 to 9.

Livinginthe past
09-22-2007, 06:27 PM
The 49ers are a team built to order for what the Steelers do on both sides of the ball.

Teams just can't run on Pittsburgh - thats not going to change when your QB isn't enough of a genuine threat to push the Steelers D away from the LOS.

I think the 49ers were slightly flattered by their 7-9 record last year - with an improvement in personell I expect them to hit that number of wins again.

7-9 teams from the NFC really don't have what it takes to make this a close one.

Willie parker will have a big day and Ben will more than likely cash in with a nice TD/INT ratio.

Steelers 37 49ers 6

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-22-2007, 06:36 PM
I haven't heard much on James Harrison this week, I assume this means he is going to go Sunday. Last I heard, he just had a stiff neck. Does anyone have any information on him?

stillers4me
09-22-2007, 07:01 PM
I haven't heard much on James Harrison this week, I assume this means he is going to go Sunday. Last I heard, he just had a stiff neck. Does anyone have any information on him?

From everything I've read, he's fine and has put in at least one full practice.

Quoted from this week's Steelers Digest:

"Harrison sqabbled with the paramedics, telling them he was fine, and then he reappeared on the sidelines in the second half in full uniform hoping to play."

"He might have slashed their tires so they couldn't get him to the hospital or something, but I'm glad he's OK, " said Clark Haggans. "Whatever's mangled in the ambulance, I'm sure they can fix it and repair it."

"Tomlin confirmed that Harrison ran headfirst into Casey Hamptons's rear end on his final play, but couldn't confirm that was how he was injured."

I'm loving Harrison more and more each week...........I thnk we have the makings of a Lambert-like legend on our hands!! :tt02:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Thanks stillers4me.

Also I like the quote you posted from Haggans, "Whatever's mangled in the ambulance, I'm sure they can fix it and repair it." Harrison really has the Pittsburgh Steelers LB mentality down.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-23-2007, 06:03 AM
Game 3 Matchup: Steelers vs. 49ers
Gerry Dulac breaks down the meeting of 2-0 teams
Sunday, September 23, 2007
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

What the Steelers will do: The offense has averaged nearly 36 minutes in time of possession. That has allowed defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau to blitz more often with a rested defense, producing 10 sacks and 22 pressures/hurries. The Steelers have not allowed a 100-yard rusher in 27 consecutive games, and their focus will be to shut down RB Frank Gore then crank the blitz pressure on QB Alex Smith. RB Willie Parker has rushed for more than 100 yards in five of the past six dating to last season. He will have to run inside the tackles because the 49ers have good speed on defense, particularly at linebacker.

What the 49ers will do: Smith has done a good job protecting the ball and not taking chances, not throwing an interception in 48 attempts. But he also has not thrown a touchdown. His average per attempt is 5.25 yards, lowest among NFL starting QBs. The offense revolves around Gore, who rushed for a franchise-record 1,695 yards last season but also caught 61 passes. Defensively, they use a 3-4 front in which NT Aubrayo Franklin (6-1, 334) tries to create space for rookie ILB Patrick Willis to make tackles (team-high 25 after two games).

Keep an eye on ...

49ers TE Vernon Davis: Smith has not made many big plays in the passing game, and he might have to do that against the Steelers to open room for his running game. That's why the Steelers will be keeping their eye on Davis, a No. 1 pick in 2006 who has just four catches for 27 yards in two games. Davis is big (6-3, 253), fast and athletic and caught 20 passes for 265 yards and three touchdowns in eight starts last season. He was clocked at 4.38 in the scouting combine and is so versatile he lined at flanker, H-back and fullback at Maryland.

Data

Game: San Francisco 49ers (2-0) at Steelers (2-0).

When: 1 p.m.

Where: Heinz Field.

TV: WPGH.

Radio: WDVE-FM (102.5), WBGG-AM (970).

Intangibles

Rookie head coaches are 3-7 after two weeks, and Mike Tomlin has two of the victories. The 49ers have won the past two meetings in Pittsburgh (1993, 1996). But they have won just seven road games in the past five years, though one came last week in St. Louis. Plus, the season-ending injury to OLB Manny Lawson (knee) will hurt the defense.

Keys to victory

To win, the 49ers must ...

1. Gore the defense. The Steelers haven't allowed a 100-yard runner since 2005 and are yielding an average of 74 yards rushing.

2. Have Nate be Great. The 49ers spent a lot of money in the offseason to improve their defense, most of it on Clements.

3. Be golden on third down. The 49ers have converted just 6 of 25 third-down chances, the lowest percentage (24.0) in the league.

To win, the Steelers must ...

1. Put Alex in jeopardy. Smith has to throw quickly against a defense that has 10 sacks and 22 hurries after two games.

2. Be talking 'bout Willis. The rookie linebacker is the most active player in the 49ers defense and Roethlisberger has to know what he's doing.

3. Apply some Colon. RT Willie Colon needs to handle DE Bryant Young, a 14-year veteran who has three of the 49ers' five sacks