PDA

View Full Version : Steelers have proven little

83-Steelers-43
09-17-2007, 12:15 AM
And to counter Smizik's article (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07260/818214-194.stm)....

Steelers have proven little
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, September 17, 2007

The celebration of the Steelers' 75th anniversary continued with the reaching of another milestone.

No, we're not talking about the 500th win in franchise history.

We refer instead to the Steelers playing a seventh preseason game, which matches the seven they played in 1975 and '76 (the exhibition schedule included the College All-Star Game for defending champions back then).

Such records only go back as far as 1965 in the media guide.

Still, it's hard to imagine a preseason that's been longer than this one.

What's really worth celebrating is the Steelers get credit in the standings for their 34-7 win Sept. 9 in Cleveland and their 26-3 clubbing of Buffalo on Sunday at Heinz Field.

The competition has been inferior enough over the regular season's first two weeks that the Steelers have been able to treat these first two games as exhibitions.

They've gotten backup quarterback Charlie Batch a little work on each of the past two Sundays.

They've gotten Najeh Davenport a combined 14 carries -- on which he's averaging a preseason-like 6.4 yards.

They've gotten reserve offensive linemen Max Starks and Chris Kemoeatu into the games.

Eventually, they're going to have to play an actual NFL-caliber team.

Please don't present the Browns as an example of such. What happened in Cleveland yesterday had to be more a reflection of the Bengals' inability to physically recover from and emotionally handle their win over Baltimore than it was the Browns' prowess.

Only then will we know just how good these Steelers really are.

In the meantime, they're eating these JV quarterbacks the other teams keep sending at them for lunch.

J.P. Losman was predictably overmatched in his efforts to dent a defense that feasts on passers who are either inexperienced or lack the ability to read and react and make plays under pressure.

Losman actually has been in the league as long as Ben Roethlisberger. The Steelers just made Losman look like a clueless rookie.

The Steelers' defense, with its ability to disguise and confuse and because of its refusal to let anyone generate anything resembling a consistent running game, deserves a great deal of credit. The unit exposes overwhelmed opposing signal callers, and in the case of Charlie Frye, getting them traded to the Seahawks.

But we won't have a better feel for whether the Steelers' defense is simply good or on the verge of greatness -- as the players who comprise that defense contend -- until it's time to play Carson Palmer and the Bengals and Tom Brady and the Patriots. Or, perhaps, Shaun Alexander, Matt Hasselbeck and Seattle.

Until then, the Steelers get the likes of Frye and Derek Anderson and Losman and, this coming Sunday, third-year pro Alex Smith of San Francisco.

Let the feeding frenzy continue.

As it does, the Steelers' offense can go about its business with relative calm and confidence.

And as long as that offense can protect the ball and the special teams don't implode, the Steelers' prospects are about as golden as the helmets they wore Sunday.

How good are they?

We'll find out soon enough.

In the meantime, these Steelers continue to put on quite an exhibition.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_527827.html

The Duke
09-17-2007, 12:17 AM
Prisuta wrote this, no surprise :coffee:

JackHammer
09-17-2007, 12:29 AM
I think there's one thing that the Steelers have proven. We've proven that we can beat the teams that we're supposed to beat. We couldn't make that statement last year. No game is a gimme, but I feel more comfortable this year about playing teams that we should beat as opposed to last year. I do agree though, that we won't be able to say great until we beat some better teams, and I'm confident that we'll do just that.

fansince'76
09-17-2007, 12:32 AM
But we won't have a better feel for whether the Steelers' defense is simply good or on the verge of greatness -- as the players who comprise that defense contend -- until it's time to play....Shaun Alexander, Matt Hasselbeck and Seattle.

Yep, never mind that Alexander and Baldy lost to a team comprised largely of our castoffs today. Prisuta = clueless assclown. :coffee:

If I have any apprehension about our team, it's the offense - we should have been up 28-0 at half instead of 12-0. FGs aren't going to cut it against the better teams down the road.

83-Steelers-43
09-17-2007, 12:32 AM
I think there's one thing that the Steelers have proven. We've proven that we can beat the teams that we're supposed to beat. We couldn't make that statement last year. No game is a gimme, but I feel more comfortable this year about playing teams that we should beat as opposed to last year. I do agree though, that we won't be able to say great until we beat some better teams, and I'm confident that we'll do just that.

Good post and I agree completely. I also believe they have proven that this years defense is damn better than last years defense.

I am keeping in mind that we might have just played the two worst teams in the league. By no means am I taking anything away from the two wins, just prefer to keep things in perspective while many are already predicting a deep playoff run in mid-September.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-17-2007, 12:34 AM
The Steelers are supposed to blow these teams out and they are.....If the Steelers were struggling to beat these teams then I think there would be some room for concern.....lol

LVSteelersfan
09-17-2007, 12:37 AM
What a load of trash. These are REAL NFL teams. Who gives a crap what a writer has to say. The Browns scored 51 points today for Criminees sake. That is a real NFL team in my book. Where do these jerks get off writing such gibberish? If we play badly or lose we are the laughingstock of the league. They still want to make our team a mockery writing crap like this. I realize we will know what our team really consists of when we play Baltimore, New England, Cincinnati and Denver. But in the meantime the Steelers deserve kudos when they absolutely kill two NFL teams.

fansince'76
09-17-2007, 12:40 AM
I realize we will know what our team really consists of when we play Baltimore, New England, Cincinnati and Denver.

I've got news for you, since I live in Broncos country - the Broncos aren't all that. They are 2-0, but the Raiders took them to OT here in Denver after trailing 17-3, and they could have just as easily lost to Buffalo last week as well, barely scraping out a win there with a last second FG. Cutler resembles Plummer a lot more than Elway, and their run D has fallen WAY off. Cincy's D - 'nuff said. The only team in that group you mentioned that worries me is NE.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-17-2007, 12:45 AM
I've got news for you, since I live in Broncos country - the Broncos aren't all that. They are 2-0, but the Raiders took them to OT here in Denver after trailing 17-3, and they could have just as easily lost to Buffalo last week as well, barely scraping out a win there with a last second FG. Cutler resembles Plummer a lot more than Elway, and their run D has fallen WAY off.

I agree 76....The Broncos havn't impressed at all this year.....They have struggled against the Bills and Da Raiders...lol If the game was in Pittsburgh then I think the Steelers would win in a cake walk....I think the only reason the Broncos have a chance is since the game is in Denver...But we all know what happened the last time the Steelers visited the Rocky Mountains.....They only wiped the floor with the Donkeys in the 05 AFC title game...lol Yes some of the characters have changed for both teams......But I like the Steelers chances when they have to go to Denver...

LVSteelersfan
09-17-2007, 12:47 AM
I am just saying we have to beat some of the big name teams to prove we are for real. I have no doubt whatsoever that we can compete with the big boys. But after watching New England dismantle San Diego tonight, I need to see us play a good game against them to show that we are a top 5 team. I sincerely hope that some of the other teams can compete with them this year so they don't waltz into home field advantage. I am a bona fide, card carrying, Patriots hater. No class clowns.

fansince'76
09-17-2007, 12:50 AM
I agree 76....The Broncos havn't impressed at all this year.....They have struggled against the Bills and Da Raiders...lol If the game was in Pittsburgh then I think the Steelers would win in a cake walk....I think the only reason the Broncos have a chance is since the game is in Denver...But we all know what happened the last time the Steelers visited the Rocky Mountains.....They only wiped the floor with the Donkeys in the 05 AFC title game...lol Yes some of the characters have changed for both teams......But I like the Steelers chances when they have to go to Denver...

The only reason they won today is because the Broncos called a timeout a microsecond before Janikowski kicked what would have been a 52-yard game-winning FG in OT (making it), the officials allowed the TO by Denver, wiping the FG off the board, and he hit the left upright and it bounced out on the second attempt. They rightfully should be 1-1 right now, and could very easily be 0-2.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-17-2007, 12:52 AM
I am just saying we have to beat some of the big name teams to prove we are for real. I have no doubt whatsoever that we can compete with the big boys. But after watching New England dismantle San Diego tonight, I need to see us play a good game against them to show that we are a top 5 team. I sincerely hope that some of the other teams can compete with them this year so they don't waltz into home field advantage. I am a bona fide, card carrying, Patriots hater. No class clowns.

Yes the Chargers were 14-2 last year...But the day Norv Turner was hired as HC was a dark one for the Bolts....That guy is a tool and sucks as a HC.......He will lead that talented team nowhere....They still should win the AFC West though by default...lol Plus Rivers looked like Rex Grossman tonight....I don't want to hear it was all the Pats defense...He made some terrible throws tonight..lol

But the Pats won big so props to them..... Freaking Randy Moss needs to run over a traffic cop or something...I hate seeing that lazy quitter having success....That gutless trash doesn't deserve a ring....

fansince'76
09-17-2007, 12:55 AM
Plus Rivers looked like Rex Grossman tonight....

Tell me about it - that pick-six by Thomas gave me flashbacks to the pick-six Ben threw in the '04 AFCCG to ice that game. And as far as their being 14-2 last year, so what? The Saints made it to the NFCCG last year as well and they pretty much suck this year. Last year was last year.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-17-2007, 12:58 AM
Tell me about it - that pick-six by Thomas gave me flashbacks to the pick-six Ben threw in the '04 AFCCG to ice that game.

Only difference Ben was a rook and Rivers should know better as a 4 year vet now....:dang: Especially since oh Phillip is supposed to be this highly intelligent QB with the so called it...:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

His first INT of the night was just terrible....The one Rosie Colvin picked off....lol

Edman
09-17-2007, 01:00 AM
The Steeler not only beat the teams they are clearly superior to, they hammered them soundly. Sounds like Prisuta didn't watch the Raider game last year. That's one statement. No underachieving vs. inferior competition.

Go see if the Ravens are still contenders after getting taken to the wire by a mediocre Jets team led by a rookie QB. The Chargers will take a huge step back this year. Their offense is not as explosive. They fired Marty, which is a bad move all on their own, but make it worse by hiring Norv Turner, a proven loser HC, to replace him. Watch him run that team into the ground. Plus Rivers looks like s*it. Reminds me of a certain Steelers QB from last year...

Steel_Bus_24
09-17-2007, 01:10 AM
Well I wouldn't give the Steelers that much credit for beating these guys but, the dude was just going too far by saying we haven't played an actual NFL Team.

We have the potential to become a powerhouse, and hopefully each week we continue to refine and improve our game as we get ready for a tough 2nd half of the season

Preacher
09-17-2007, 01:30 AM
This article is a joke... Why? Because he contradicts himself IN HIS OWN ARTICLE.... Let's take a look....

Please don't present the Browns as an example of such. What happened in Cleveland yesterday had to be more a reflection of the Bengals' inability to physically recover from and emotionally handle their win over Baltimore than it was the Browns' prowess.

But wait... How will we know they are good?

But we won't have a better feel for whether the Steelers' defense is simply good or on the verge of greatness -- as the players who comprise that defense contend -- until it's time to play Carson Palmer and the Bengals and Tom Brady and the Patriots. Or, perhaps, Shaun Alexander, Matt Hasselbeck and Seattle.

So let me get this straight. The Steelers manhandled the Browns. Then, the Browns, WITHOUT the starting QB against us, because we forced him not just to be benched, but to be TRADED, blows up the Bengals. But because the Bengals WON last week, they weren't ready to WIN AGAIN... Yet, that is one of the two or three teams that WE HAVE TO MEASURE AGAINST... because of course, they are one of the top teams in the NFL...

Is that right? Hmmm...

Let me quote an old friend,

"Logic-- I wonder what DO they teach in them schools these days?"
-- Professor Kirk

steelers forever 8
09-17-2007, 02:08 AM
i think prisuta is right, i want to see them play a better defense like the ravens. to see if we can pass 29 times in the first half and have ben still playing?

Crushzilla
09-17-2007, 02:21 AM
Classic sports writer.

This gives him the "I told ya so" if the Steelers tank

and

Many are not going to argue, because the Bills and Browns weren't great last year

Safely going out on a limb with an opportunity to look like a genius later. Being a sports writer is about picking your battles.

Which is why I generally don't give a crap what they say. The crew here knows too much about football to fall for this crap. This is a good team.

True. We needed to convert some of those opportunities into TDs, BUT the game is about scoring points and the Steelers made sure they got something out of their drives.

Defense kept them at bay while we slowly stacked the lead, which is why a well balanced team like ours is going to win this division.

That is... unless you follow Mark Madden's logic... in that case, the porous Bengals defense won't matter because Palmer has a sexy arm and Ray Lewis and co. will ensure that the Ravens stab their way to victory. Did I say stab? I meant murder.

Did anyone see the Lewis pick where he kerflompeld Reed who was ready to easily pull in the pick himself? Classic Ray Lewis. Future Hall of Famer? The thought makes me cringe. His bust would probably fall into the other busts so his would stand out.

I'm starting to ramble... aren't I...

fansince'76
09-17-2007, 02:30 AM
Well I wouldn't give the Steelers that much credit for beating these guys....

Normally, I wouldn't either - but we didn't just beat them. We kicked their asses. We caused one team to trade their starting QB. Besides, we didn't set the schedule, the league office did. What ticks me off are the Colts being favored year after year after year when they get handed an annual schedule of mostly inferior teams, but we clobber inferior teams (as we're supposed to do), and we "haven't proven anything." Whatever.

Edman
09-17-2007, 03:11 AM
Want some more double standards?

The Patriots beat up on some regressing teams, but they're Super Bowl contenders. Crown them the champs. So what if the Jets and Chargers made the playoffs last year, that was last year. It's clearly obvious that both teams are just not as good as this year. The once-powerful Chargers O is crapping the bed big time(Sucked vs. Bears, sucked last night, no WR's to speak of, Rivers exposed), and the Jets...well have no QB. Noodle-Arm is hurt.

fansince'76
09-17-2007, 03:17 AM
Want some more double standards?

The Patriots beat up on some regressing teams, but they're Super Bowl contenders. Crown them the champs. So what if the Jets and Chargers made the playoffs last year, that was last year. It's clearly obvious that both teams are just not as good as this year. The once-powerful Chargers O is crapping the bed big time(Sucked vs. Bears, sucked last night, no WR's to speak of, Rivers exposed), and the Jets...well have no QB. Noodle-Arm is hurt.

I have no problem with the Pats being a favorite - they've earned (cough) that right. But for the writer to suggest that the Bungles are amongst the "upper echelon" in the league is laughable.

Edman
09-17-2007, 04:05 AM
Really, it's a no-win situation right now for the Steelers.

0-2: "They're not a very good team."
2-0: "They didn't beat anybody yet."

The Steelers should just keep playing.

revefsreleets
09-17-2007, 09:08 AM
Yup, this article is pretty circular in it's nature. The fact is that after two games in September (not our best month of playing football regardless of the level of competition under Cowher) we have outscored our opponents 60-10. We won games that we should win. Why complain?

moedap
09-17-2007, 09:23 AM
Any Steeler fan who cant see that this team is legitimately good is just a "glass half empty" thinker. I am not saying we will dominate every team but we are good and have been good for the "past 7 years"(quoting the prima donna Brady) it should be no surprise. Give us back 2 of the AFCC we lost and we are considered the N.E. Patriots. Heck N.E. did it with some of our giveaways (MV and a cornerback) and Dick Lebeau's 3-4 modified.

Big D
09-17-2007, 10:21 AM
who is this jackass? What i've seen the past two weeks is a more confident ben a dominating defense and less stupid penaltys then we had a year ago. It's funny to me how we make a joke out of clevelands offense and then the following week the brownies put up 51 against the bungles. I would go as far to say that this steeler team is better coached, more prepared and more inspired then they were a year ago

mike15618
09-17-2007, 11:08 AM
The line was -3 for the Buffalo game and if I remember right it was -7 for the cleveland game. That means the bookies in Vegas only expected the Steelers to out score these 2 "non-NFL" teams by about 10 points or less....Personally I think one Touch an a Field goal through 8 quarters of play proves a lot, no matter who you play.

SteelerFanInCA
09-17-2007, 11:14 AM
After the first two games it may be too early to tell but the bottom line is you are supposed to beat the bad teams into submission. So far so good.

I'll take this season one game at a time.

TackleMeBen
09-17-2007, 11:15 AM
who is this jackass? What i've seen the past two weeks is a more confident ben a dominating defense and less stupid penaltys then we had a year ago. It's funny to me how we make a joke out of clevelands offense and then the following week the brownies put up 51 against the bungles. I would go as far to say that this steeler team is better coached, more prepared and more inspired then they were a year ago

:iagree: it does seem that we are more prepared this season.. maybe cowher should have tried the belicheat method.. they won alot of games last year..lol.. (just kidding).

oh and it helps when the coaching staff is actually talking the guys and not yelling at them.. they dont seem to respond well to being screamed at.

Atlanta Dan
09-17-2007, 11:16 AM
It is not as if we are dealing with the BCS poll and need to worry about our strength of schedule keeping us out of the playoffs - keep playing well and the Steelers will have a chance to be tested against tougher competition later in the schedule and (hopefully) the Pats and/or Colts in January

Rotorhead
09-17-2007, 11:29 AM
This article is laughable at best. This writer is obviously a moron, or just writing this to stir people up. As stated earlier, the Patsies havent played anyone good yet (the Chargers are terrible so far this year). The teams that are supposed to be making waves so far are not playing well at all. I would have rather played the Ravens, Chargers, Saints, Broncos . . . etc so far this season, because we are playing disciplined and inspired Ball right now and would have stomped them. I have every bit of confidence that we are in the top 3 teams at this point in the season. We have no injuries to speak of, our D is playing top caliber ball, our O is limiting mistakes and our special teams is very improved. The only other 2 teams that can say that atm is NE and Indy. There are several other teams that "shouldnt be winning" the games they are at this point, but they are playing mistake free and it is showing in the standings. As long as we continue to improve along the Oline and our Off gets better cohesion, we will continue our winning ways this season.

rog
09-17-2007, 11:38 AM
The thing I took away from these first 2 games was the fact that we dominated from start to finish. I allways thought that under Cowher we would play down too the compition usually still win the games we should but not allways. The entire team is playing with a confidence they have not had for a while. These 2 wins don't prove anything but the way they won does they were suposed to win these games and they dominated. Just look at the Bills game against the Broncos last week the Broncos needed a game winning field goal to beat the Bills we dominated them....but Denver is suposed to be the playoff caliber team and we are not.

Indy_Steelers
09-17-2007, 11:39 AM

AMEN!

Yep, never mind that Alexander and Baldy lost to a team comprised largely of our castoffs today. Prisuta = clueless assclown. :coffee:

If I have any apprehension about our team, it's the offense - we should have been up 28-0 at half instead of 12-0. FGs aren't going to cut it against the better teams down the road.

It seemed to me that we were trying to force a TD to Hines.

The Steelers are supposed to blow these teams out and they are.....If the Steelers were struggling to beat these teams then I think there would be some room for concern.....lol

AMEN!

Yes the Chargers were 14-2 last year...But the day Norv Turner was hired as HC was a dark one for the Bolts....That guy is a tool and sucks as a HC.......He will lead that talented team nowhere....They still should win the AFC West though by default...lol Plus Rivers looked like Rex Grossman tonight....I don't want to hear it was all the Pats defense...He made some terrible throws tonight..lol

But the Pats won big so props to them..... Freaking Randy Moss needs to run over a traffic cop or something...I hate seeing that lazy quitter having success....That gutless trash doesn't deserve a ring....

I knew SD was in trouble to when the hired Norv.

I have no problem with the Pats being a favorite - they've earned (cough) that right. But for the writer to suggest that the Bungles are amongst the "upper echelon" in the league is laughable.

It is laughable since they have only won 27 (that is an average of 9-7) games in the last 3 seasons and are 0-1 in the playoffs and for that matter have not even won a playoff game in what, 17 years.

Big D
09-17-2007, 01:33 PM
It is not as if we are dealing with the BCS poll and need to worry about our strength of schedule keeping us out of the playoffs - keep playing well and the Steelers will have a chance to be tested against tougher competition later in the schedule and (hopefully) the Pats and/or Colts in January

I couldnt agree more. Although it is early in the season the next 4 games are very winable games. niners,cardinals,seahawks and the broncos. If we are 6-0 hell even 4-2 that's great momentum for the second half of the season when the schedule ges tougher with games against the pats, bengals and ravens

BlastFurnace
09-17-2007, 01:51 PM
The thing I took away from these first 2 games was the fact that we dominated from start to finish. I allways thought that under Cowher we would play down too the compition usually still win the games we should but not allways.

You mean..."keep it close and try to win it in the end" could be gone forever? Do you promise :>). There was much more to Cowher that I liked than disliked, but this type of mentality always drove me crazy.

It looks like LeBeau has really cut loose this season with some fresh ideas as well. It's nice to see.

Atlanta Dan
09-17-2007, 01:52 PM
I couldnt agree more. Although it is early in the season the next 4 games are very winable games. niners,cardinals,seahawks and the broncos. If we are 6-0 hell even 4-2 that's great momentum for the second half of the season when the schedule ges tougher with games against the pats, bengals and ravens

I will stick by my preseason thoughts that the team needs to go 4-1 at the bye to project to a 10-6 record.

Based on the first 2 weeks, the road games at Denver, Cincy, and Baltimore that I had chalked up preseason as pretty certain losses at least look winnable at this point.

TackleMeBen
09-17-2007, 01:55 PM
with they way cincy and baltimore are looking we might be able to beat them... i can handle a loss to cincy better than baltimore... they deserve major payback after what they did to use last season.

HometownGal
09-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Normally, I wouldn't either - but we didn't just beat them. We kicked their asses. We caused one team to trade their starting QB. Besides, we didn't set the schedule, the league office did. What ticks me off are the Colts being favored year after year after year when they get handed an annual schedule of mostly inferior teams, but we clobber inferior teams (as we're supposed to do), and we "haven't proven anything." Whatever.

Great post, Gary, and I agree with you 100% here. The score yesterday didn't even come close to telling the tale of how badly we beat down the Bills.

As long as the Steelers continue to play as they have the past two weeks with everyone giving 150% as they have been - they don't have to prove a damned thing to me. I sense a much stronger confidence in this group of guys this season than I have the past couple of seasons and that confidence beams like a neon light on the field, but most importantly, in the final score.

JackHammer
09-17-2007, 02:58 PM
Classic sports writer.

Did anyone see the Lewis pick where he kerflompeld Reed who was ready to easily pull in the pick himself? Classic Ray Lewis. Future Hall of Famer? The thought makes me cringe.

I hate to stick up for Ray Ray, but he had that ball before Reed and Reed tried to snatch it and Ray Ray took it back.

BlastFurnace
09-17-2007, 03:51 PM
The nice thing about the next 4 games is that there is a ton to play for and no reason to ever overlook them...even if the temptation were there:

SF: 2-0 upcoming team coming to Pittsburgh. They are the media darlings of the NFC right now.

Arizona: Whiz & Grimm. Nothing else needs to be said.

Seattle: Do I really need to say anything about this game. I hope they destroy them.

Denver: AFC rival. Payback from last years game.