PDA

View Full Version : A Few Observations from the Bills game...

RJC
09-17-2007, 08:48 AM
1.)Ben played OK. I was disappointed in his inability to finish as well as his completion percentage early on, but he righted himself as the game progressed. The INT was retarded. Should have never been thrown, especially with a wide open Heath Miller underneath.
2.)Parker played really well. Didn't fumble for the first time in his last 5 games, so that was nice.
3.)WRs did a great job of getting open. The ball was spread around nicely. 9 different guys catching passes. Ward and Washington with a slight case of butterfingers. Concentrate!
4.)O-Line did a nice job. Consistent push and movement.
5.)Defense was great. Harrison with the abuse of Peters. Got underneath his pads and walked him all the way back. These 6'0" LBs may be a strength. Larry Foote had himself a game. One of the most solid guys on the "D". Makes every play he's supposed to make. Secondary did a great job.
6.)If I had to grade Tomlin he'd get a "B-" based of his inability to throw the GOD DAMN FLAG! Tomlin and his crew cost us big yards and 3 points. He has to have better situational awareness.
7.)It was nice watching Supelveda and his 2 punts. He sure was worth that 4th and 6th rounder. Meanwhile Randy Moss tortured that Chargers for over 100 yards and 2 TDs. It's OK, Holmes is better than Moss right?

Indy_Steelers
09-17-2007, 09:58 AM
You are not giving any credit to the Bills defense. Sometimes it is not that we can not finish, it is just that their defense made a good play. Let us give credit where credit is due. Sometimes on some plays we got beat. Why can't Steeler fans accept that. On the INT, if I was Ben I would have thrown it too. Again good defense. I did not have a problem with Tomlin not throwing the flag. And how does Moss get into a post about the Bill v Steelers thread? Are you a Moss hugger? I could care less what Moss does. If he wants to smoke dope, run over cops and play for an organization that cheats, that is his business. He is free to be a good football player and a idiot.

memphissteelergirl
09-17-2007, 10:15 AM
I agree, Indy. There were a couple of plays where the Bills' DB's were just in the right place at the right time.

fansince'76
09-17-2007, 11:07 AM
You are not giving any credit to the Bills defense. Sometimes it is not that we can not finish, it is just that their defense made a good play. Let us give credit where credit is due.

I agree as well, Indy - we may have gotten FGs where TDs would have been preferable, but the Bills D really is pretty good, and we had a number of long, sustained drives against them. We're not where we need to be on offense yet, but we're getting there.

Atlanta Dan
09-17-2007, 11:37 AM
One glitch was having to burn 3 timeouts in the first half becuase they apparently could not get the play in on time - IMO that resulted in a TD rather than FG to end the first half because of a need to keep spiking the ball to stop the clock

One alleged benefit of having Arians on the sidelines rather than upstairs was to allow more time for the play to be addressed in the huddle

A minor concern but one that should not have arisen repeatedly

revefsreleets
09-17-2007, 12:39 PM
On the Holmes pass that was intercepted, Heath appeared to be wide open, but the replay from a different angle showed that he had a DB or S converging from the outside. Still, given the two, I'd have preferred that he either hold the ball or attempt to hit the guy in single coverage.

I don't understand the non-call on the oob return. How did the LJ miss that? And Tomlin not flagging it is weird.

TackleMeBen
09-17-2007, 01:32 PM
in tomlin's defense maybe he didnt think there would be enough evidence to overturn the call and didnt want to lose a time out

HometownGal
09-17-2007, 02:31 PM
I agree as well, Indy - we may have gotten FGs where TDs would have been preferable, but the Bills D really is pretty good, and we had a number of long, sustained drives against them. We're not where we need to be on offense yet, but we're getting there.

Absolutely. I stated in a thread earlier this week that the Bills D isn't as bad as they are made out to be and they proved my theory again yesterday. Can't take that away from them. I loved our ball control yesterday, but against playoff calibre teams, I think we need to get into the EZ a little more often rather than settling for FGs if we are going to be successful against them.

JackHammer
09-17-2007, 02:37 PM
I can't see how you could possibly blame Tomlin for not throwing the flag. That's why the Steelers PAY PEOPLE IN PRESS BOXES TO LOOK AT TV'S AND TELL THE COACH WHETHER OR NOT TO CHALLENGE THE PLAY. It's not Coach T's job to stare at the scoreboard waiting to see if he should challenge. The guys in the press box should've been all over that and they weren't.

onthebus36
09-17-2007, 05:18 PM
You are not giving any credit to the Bills defense. Sometimes it is not that we can not finish, it is just that their defense made a good play. Let us give credit where credit is due. Sometimes on some plays we got beat. Why can't Steeler fans accept that.

I think it's rampant and not just in football. We never seem to accept that our adversaries sometimes get the better of us.

Getting back to the game, I think we left a lot of points on the field but I'd definitely prefer to walk away with three points than zero. We didn't punt much and that is generally a good thing.

I got the sense that after the pick, Arians reined in the offense a little. The play calling was fairly conservative after that.

CrazySteelers88
09-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Agreed

revefsreleets
09-17-2007, 08:50 PM
I can't see how you could possibly blame Tomlin for not throwing the flag. That's why the Steelers PAY PEOPLE IN PRESS BOXES TO LOOK AT TV'S AND TELL THE COACH WHETHER OR NOT TO CHALLENGE THE PLAY. It's not Coach T's job to stare at the scoreboard waiting to see if he should challenge. The guys in the press box should've been all over that and they weren't.

Well, I've been to a bunch of games, and Cowher was very good at doing just that: Watching the replay and then throwing the flag. It is what it is, and, regardless of who missed the boat, somebody missed the boat, and he's the HC.

rog
09-17-2007, 09:33 PM
My whole thing about the fieldgoals instead of touchdowns is this...

First points are valuble in this league even if it is just 3 at a time.

Second We did get in the Endzone a couple of times which showed the offense was a bit resilant and did make the plays to get in.

Third give credit to the Bills no team is going to get the TD everytime.

SteelersGirlTN7
09-17-2007, 10:17 PM
One thing I noticed about the game, that I haven't seen anyone mention ...

on one of the Bills kick returns, their player clearly (so I think) stepped out of bounds, but nothing was done? CBS even replayed it a couple times, showing one foot step over the line.... what about this??

As for the dropsies, I like how Nate totally dropped one, and then Ben came right back to him and it was big gain! He did the same w/ Hines... but Hines is Hines lol.
I was impressed with Nate!!

steelpride12
09-17-2007, 10:20 PM
One thing I noticed about the game, that I haven't seen anyone mention ...

on one of the Bills kick returns, their player clearly (so I think) stepped out of bounds, but nothing was done? CBS even replayed it a couple times, showing one foot step over the line.... what about this??

As for the dropsies, I like how Nate totally dropped one, and then Ben came right back to him and it was big gain! He did the same w/ Hines... but Hines is Hines lol.
I was impressed with Nate!!

Nate yes redeemed himself with that high nice catch he made and all the recievers did a great job. Willie powerful game i was impressed like always. Ben way to bounce back from the INT and bring us the win. Jeff Reed great FG but i want more kickoffs in the endzone. And Daniel Sepulveda great Great GREAT punts your underlooked but a very good punter. and finally the good old Steeler Defense stepping up to play hard and Physical over all B+ day great job and good luck! Go Steelers!

Steel Pit
09-18-2007, 01:00 AM
The Steelers aren't running on all cylinders just yet so there's definitely room for improvement. Overall I'm happy with their performance thus far simply because it's resulting in WINS which ultimately is all that we can ask for. They're beating the crap out of the teams that they should beat the crap out of so there shouldn't be any complaints from the fans.

And yes the Bills did make a few plays. After all, they have about a billion dollars worth of salary wrapped up in their players so we should expect them to come up with a few interceptions, sacks, touchdowns and field goals.

Preacher
09-18-2007, 02:25 AM
On the Holmes pass that was intercepted, Heath appeared to be wide open, but the replay from a different angle showed that he had a DB or S converging from the outside. Still, given the two, I'd have preferred that he either hold the ball or attempt to hit the guy in single coverage.

I don't understand the non-call on the oob return. How did the LJ miss that? And Tomlin not flagging it is weird.

I understand that interception completely.

The Defense lined up in a cover-3 formation. I believe the center guy dropped down to cover a inside route. Ben then pumped to Ward, expecting the other safety to break on the ball. He didn't. The safety made a great play (probably watched some film from the previous week). It was a timing play on that safety. Pump and throw, catch the safety out of position, and let Holmes take the chances on a one-on-one.

It was just a heads up smart play by the Bills Safety. Give him the credit.

If Ben was guilty of anything, it was not calling in a different play when he saw the cover-3... then again, he may have thought that was the defense he wanted to free Holmes up for a bomb to the endzone.

RJC
09-18-2007, 08:01 AM
I don't know where people get this notion that if a player makes a great play itr somehow negates a huge mistake made previously. Nate made a huge catch, after he had a horrible drop. The catch doesn't cancel out the drop. CATCH THE GOD DAMN BALL NATE!!!

revefsreleets
09-18-2007, 09:09 AM
I understand that interception completely.

The Defense lined up in a cover-3 formation. I believe the center guy dropped down to cover a inside route. Ben then pumped to Ward, expecting the other safety to break on the ball. He didn't. The safety made a great play (probably watched some film from the previous week). It was a timing play on that safety. Pump and throw, catch the safety out of position, and let Holmes take the chances on a one-on-one.

It was just a heads up smart play by the Bills Safety. Give him the credit.

If Ben was guilty of anything, it was not calling in a different play when he saw the cover-3... then again, he may have thought that was the defense he wanted to free Holmes up for a bomb to the endzone.

I'll say this. Just about everyone watching the game with me was in agreement that Ben was going to Holmes no matter what on that play.

Michael Keller
09-18-2007, 09:31 AM
Some where along the way I must have gotten confused . I thought we (the Steelers) won 26 to 3 and even dominated the Bills.

Michael

tony hipchest
09-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Stat of the Week No. 7: Running plays on second-and-1, second-and-1, second-and-2, third-and-1, third-and-2, fourth-and-2 and fourth-and-2, the Bills gained a combined zero yards.

thats one hell of a stop percentage.

thanks to g. easterbrook for the stats. they will be poo-poo'd because of the competition (people will almost compare them to pre season stats). but the bills do have a high dollar line. and a rookie rb with tons of potential. regardless of the competition, the backers on backers drills ran in camp seem to have paid off if you look at this alone.