PDA

View Full Version : Woodley's (#56) Play In Harrison's Absence...

SteelFan4Life
09-17-2007, 10:20 AM
I was QUITE IMPRESSEED with Lamar Woodley's performance in the 2nd half after Harrison was carted off the field. He played solid, applied pressure to the Bills QB and had a few nice tackles.

Def. a good job iMHO...

BlastFurnace
09-17-2007, 11:31 AM
I've been equally impressed with Clark Haggans. Woodley has impressed as well.

I knew we wouldn't miss Porter, but Harrison has actually been an upgrade over Porter.

TackleMeBen
09-17-2007, 11:34 AM
if i am not mistaking i think i heard them say woodley had 4 tackles yesterday filling in for harrison.

revefsreleets
09-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Looks like Woodley was a better draft pick than Timmons at this point. One thing is for sure, they definitely miss him at Michigan this year!

TackleMeBen
09-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Looks like Woodley was a better draft pick than Timmons at this point. One thing is for sure, they definitely miss him at Michigan this year!

you arent kidding.. the michigan d looks terrible

SteelFist
09-17-2007, 11:49 AM
I've been equally impressed with Clark Haggans. Woodley has impressed as well.

I knew we wouldn't miss Porter, but Harrison has actually been an upgrade over Porter.

Haggans is trying to earn himself a new contract. He's definitely steppin' it up

BlastFurnace
09-17-2007, 11:53 AM
Did anyone watch any of the Dolphins game yesterday...specifically Porter. He looks really slow. One thing I noticed Harrison doing yesterday that Porter did not do in recent memory is that he shoved an offensive lineman right back into the QB with his brute strength.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-17-2007, 12:14 PM
if i am not mistaking i think i heard them say woodley had 4 tackles yesterday filling in for harrison.

4 tackles and a sack.....:thumbsup:

Steelerstrength
09-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Wood did well, but not great. I'm impressed for a rook to come in and not look too lost. He did lose his man a couple of times in coverage, but he gets a pass for now. That's the only aspect of his game that I'm worried about, pass coverage, and knowing where to be. He will gain confidence with more PT, no doubt. Wood will be good!

I also agree with BlastFurnace, Peezy did look slow. Saw him playing his role in prepping the team with his pre-game rant. The 'phins were into it! Peezy does possess great charisma! But, he did get burned a few times by not shedding his blocker. Saw one lowlight as he was way out of position while the RB ran into the endzone, in his lane. All he did was back pedal, side step, engage the blocker a little, and watched. No real contact. I was actually a bit sad for a moment. Damn Peezy, where you at? I sincerely hope it gets better for Peezy. Except when they play the Steelers!

TackleMeBen
09-17-2007, 12:25 PM
4 tackles and a sack.....:thumbsup:
i didnt hear about the sack.. well good for him then... i always root for those U of M boys :wink02:

SteelFist
09-17-2007, 01:02 PM
Bringin' the Wood...Clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lXywtq6Wcw

Indy_Steelers
09-17-2007, 01:04 PM

And one of them saved a TD.

On a side note i wished he would have stayed at #55.

I have liked what I have seen out of Woodley since the preseason Saints game and everybody that I know that have met have said that he is a very down to earth human being.

stillerzguy68
09-17-2007, 01:49 PM
It's early, but I'm guessing that Woodley, because of who he is and how he goes about his work, will become one of our truly great draft picks of recent years.

atlsteelers
09-17-2007, 02:26 PM
he actually came into the game when harrison came out but he did not play DE they slid over clark haggans into harrison's spot and woodley played the middle...

atlsteelers
09-17-2007, 02:29 PM
woodley also got burnt on a pass play down the middle of the field... i thought the Defense really missed harrison in the second half...woodley looked okay at best yesterday, i am not too excited yet - i need to see more from the lbs that we picked in the draft

onthebus36
09-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Wood did well, but not great. I'm impressed for a rook to come in and not look too lost. He did lose his man a couple of times in coverage, but he gets a pass for now. That's the only aspect of his game that I'm worried about, pass coverage, and knowing where to be. He will gain confidence with more PT, no doubt. Wood will be good!

I also agree with BlastFurnace, Peezy did look slow. Saw him playing his role in prepping the team with his pre-game rant. The 'phins were into it! Peezy does possess great charisma! But, he did get burned a few times by not shedding his blocker. Saw one lowlight as he was way out of position while the RB ran into the endzone, in his lane. All he did was back pedal, side step, engage the blocker a little, and watched. No real contact. I was actually a bit sad for a moment. Damn Peezy, where you at? I sincerely hope it gets better for Peezy. Except when they play the Steelers!

I felt bad for him last week. I was at the Redskins game (can't pass up free club level tix!) and we were right behind the Dolphins bench. He was mostly hanging by himself on the sideline and didn't seem to have that comraderie on the field he had with the Steelers.

I can't feel TOO bad for him though because I'm sure he likes the paychecks!

The Duke
09-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Did anyone watch any of the Dolphins game yesterday...specifically Porter. He looks really slow. One thing I noticed Harrison doing yesterday that Porter did not do in recent memory is that he shoved an offensive lineman right back into the QB with his brute strength.

Porter isn't the same without big snack clogging the line.His "best" play was a QB hurry to Romo that ended up in a touchdown anyway

revefsreleets
09-17-2007, 03:27 PM
Woah. I hate to say this, but the Steelers LB's usually need a couple years learning the system before they can grasp their role. Even Kendrell Bell who had a monster rook season was awful in pass coverage that first year. Given the circumstances, what we got out of Woodley yesterday was remarkable. He has the potential to be scary good in the next season or two.

kochmanski
09-17-2007, 04:16 PM
My brother-in-law went to Michigan, still lives in Ann Arbor and is a rabid Michigan fan. He's a huge Woodley fan and is a pretty sad (obviously) that Woodley is in Pittsburgh now and not lining up on Saturdays in the Big House.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-17-2007, 06:04 PM
Woodley has looked good so far but I don't see him starting this year unless we get an injury at the LB position.

TackleMeBen
09-17-2007, 06:42 PM
My brother-in-law went to Michigan, still lives in Ann Arbor and is a rabid Michigan fan. He's a huge Woodley fan and is a pretty sad (obviously) that Woodley is in Pittsburgh now and not lining up on Saturdays in the Big House.

with the way michigan is playing these days we could use him back at the big house. i am still shocked at how michigan started the year.

klick81
09-17-2007, 06:46 PM
I was actually a bit sad for a moment. Damn Peezy, where you at? I sincerely hope it gets better for Peezy.

No kiddin...there's not much room for mercy in football, but I felt bad for him. He didn't look too passionate out there.

Stlrs4Life
09-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Woodley did very well as his back up last night.

JackHammer
09-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Definitely liked what I saw out of him. At least he was able to hold his own while getting some valuable PT.

Preacher
09-18-2007, 01:18 AM
Woodley did decent... which is great for his experience in this system.

however, please, there is no way to compare him to the Timmons pick. Woodley has what, 3 months or so worth of practice and training over Timmons. Timmons has just been throwing in on ST's, because it is much easier to run a lane, keep the lane, and hit the ball carrier if he gets into the lane (Well, supposed to be, eh Cowher?). However, Timmons has shown some VERY good athleticism doing that. The question will be, will that translate into playing LB? probably. But we really won't know until next season.

In my GUESStimation though, I think we picked up two linebackers... and hear their names called for a number of years... in a good way!

Galax Steeler
09-18-2007, 03:59 AM
I think giving timmons a little more time he will be right there making big plays for us woodley is already making some plays for us they both will be big assests to the team for years to come.

Livinginthe past
09-18-2007, 07:02 AM
So, I can't see any threads on the subject - how is Harrison?

Is he good for this week?

X-Terminator
09-18-2007, 08:07 AM
So, I can't see any threads on the subject - how is Harrison?

Is he good for this week?

He's fine - he came back onto the field in the second half but did not play. We'll know today during Tomlin's press conference if he'll be good to go on Sunday.

HometownGal
09-18-2007, 09:36 AM
I've liked what I've seen out of Woodley. This kid is a definite keeper! :thumbsup:

Joey who? :sofunny:

Polly
09-18-2007, 11:25 AM
Haggans slid to harrison's position because woodley is taking haggans' place next year. I really like james harrison, good to know that we have a good backup in woodley but james harrison is just a natural born beast. Hes got the speed to go around linemen, hes got the strength to run them over, and hes great against the run. Im not ready to say more because i simply want to see more of what he can do, especially when we play the elite teams

Dont be surprised if you see a monstrous year out of haggans, hes always gettin to the qb every game

FSUBoo
09-20-2007, 03:11 AM
I think that Haggans and Timmons will both be great Steelers linebackers. They have different skill sets, so you can't ever really say that one was better than the other.
Timmons seems like on of those types of guys like Adalius Thomas, in how he can play linebacker, DL, and possibly line up at corner from time to time. He did some of that in the preseason.
Woodley looks like one of those guys that's stout vs the run but doesn't fully excel at coverage.

Lord Stiller
09-20-2007, 07:59 AM
Actually, Woodley has exceded expectations in coverage which is probably the main reason he plays over Timmons. Woodley is the smarter more disciplined player at this point where Timmons is the much better athlete but still has a lot to learn.

I like them both :)

Preacher
09-20-2007, 12:33 PM
Actually, Woodley has exceded expectations in coverage which is probably the main reason he plays over Timmons. Woodley is the smarter more disciplined player at this point where Timmons is the much better athlete but still has a lot to learn.

I like them both :)

I have to disagree in one place... Woodley doesn't play because he has beet timmons out on coverages... He doesn't play because an injury held him out and thus he doesn't have the conditioning nor the experience in the defensive systems like Woodley. I think Timmons will be better in coverage the Woodley, but that is a VERY good problem to have, two LB's that can cover well.

Yeah, I think we will see Timmon and Woodley for years to come.

Indy_Steelers
09-20-2007, 03:55 PM
I think that Haggans and Timmons will both be great Steelers linebackers. They have different skill sets, so you can't ever really say that one was better than the other.
Timmons seems like on of those types of guys like Adalius Thomas, in how he can play linebacker, DL, and possibly line up at corner from time to time. He did some of that in the preseason.
Woodley looks like one of those guys that's stout vs the run but doesn't fully excel at coverage.

He was a DE in college. He will adjust.

Edman
09-20-2007, 04:28 PM
It seems the entire LB core got a huge, HUGE boost. Haggans and Farrior are still finding some drops in that fountain of youth, Foote is more solid than usual, and Harrison has demonstrated his beast-ness. He did something I haven't seen Peezy do in years. Beat his guy for the sack striaght-up wthout being untouched. Peters of the Bills is one of the better Tackles in the league, and Silverback abused him all day.

I don't know what they did or how they did it, but I'm glad they did it and I hope they keep it up.