PDA

View Full Version : Washington drop

SuzyPeppercorn
09-17-2007, 02:22 PM
did anyone see washingtons drop yesterday when ben avoided the rush and rolled out. he hit washington in the numbers and he dropped it.

im not ragging on him but what i really liked was ben going right back to him on the next play. i really like that attitude.

fansince'76
09-17-2007, 02:24 PM
did anyone see washingtons drop yesterday when ben avoided the rush and rolled out. he hit washington in the numbers and he dropped it.

im not ragging on him but what i really liked was ben going right back to him on the next play. i really like that attitude.

I think his acrobatic catch in traffic while being clocked and still managing to hang on to it more than made up for it.

ShutDown24
09-17-2007, 02:27 PM
Nate had a great game. That one drop is nothing in comparison to a few receivers in this league. (Ask the Jets)

I still can't believe people wanted Washington cut because of a few drops last year and in the preseason. He is a beast athlete and if he can learn to catch more often could really become an outstanding receiver. All the guy does is get open, play after play.

onthebus36
09-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Nate had a great game. That one drop is nothing in comparison to a few receivers in this league. (Ask the Jets)

You can ask the Titans too.

Seriously, he got laid out on that middle route catch he made and hanged on to the ball. That was a big play.

Steelerstrength
09-17-2007, 03:12 PM
I was pleasantly surprised when he did not drop that pass, when he got hit by three guys! But true to form, he drops a wide open pass. I'm one for hoping he keeps improving and makes many more acrobatic catches.

BlastFurnace
09-17-2007, 04:31 PM
If you look at the play again, it sure looks like the ball was tipped before it got to him...changing the trajectory of the ball.

ShutDown24
09-17-2007, 04:37 PM
You can ask the Titans too.

Seriously, he got laid out on that middle route catch he made and hanged on to the ball. That was a big play.

When CBS changed to that game and I saw the situation I had no doubt that Young was going to have a game winning drive. Have seen him do it so many times over the past few years at Texas and last year that I honestly had no doubt in my mind at all he would win.

When I saw there was a minute left down by two against the Colts I actually went to my dad and said "Want to see Vince Young win a game?? It's a shame to because just like Clemens he did his part but the receivers couldn't hold on.

Washington if nothing else (and I know you guys don't like this word) is a great project.

Crushzilla
09-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Must.... resist....

As I had even mentioned in the game thread, and as many agree, the catch he made in traffic made up for it.

Every receiver drops the ball. If he has a solid year, I'm willing to bury the hatchet.

shutdown
09-17-2007, 05:57 PM
The pass was thrown a bit behind him. It wasnt on the numbers.

MasterOfPuppets
09-17-2007, 06:06 PM
but is he the guy you want the ball thrown to on 4th down,or the last play of the game ? :shake01:

ShutDown24
09-17-2007, 06:08 PM
but is he the guy you want the ball thrown to on 4th down,or the last play of the game ? :shake01:

Is any other teams fourth string receiver?

shutdown
09-17-2007, 06:25 PM
Is any other teams fourth string receiver?

Exactly.

NateC
09-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Lets Not be Petty. The Man Played So damn well yesterday it was inspiring. Huge Catch on a believe a 3rd Down over the middle, takes a nice Shot, stands and motions first down Huge emotional Boost for team and Crowd. Ok yes he dropped one ball... Next play he makes another nice Catch. Ill take the good with the bad as long as he is Strong with no drops or near none in the playoffs/Superbowl. If he drops a Pass similar to the Patriots reciever last year Vs Indy in the playoffs. then yes. we dont need players like that. But i see him as a guy who steps up. not a Choker.:helmet:

jjpro11
09-17-2007, 06:54 PM
i really dont understand washington at times... he makes all the highlight reel catches, but cant seem to consistently nab the easy ones.

Indy_Steelers
09-17-2007, 07:44 PM
i really dont understand washington at times... he makes all the highlight reel catches, but cant seem to consistently nab the easy ones.

I still like him better than plexiglass:thumbsup:

JackHammer
09-17-2007, 07:57 PM

He probably doesn't look the ball in on the easy ones. On the other hand, you're kind of forced to look the ball in on the hard catches.

Stlrs4Life
09-17-2007, 09:49 PM
If you look at the play again, it sure looks like the ball was tipped before it got to him...changing the trajectory of the ball.

It wasn't on the numbers either. It was behind him.

jjpro11
09-17-2007, 11:01 PM
He probably doesn't look the ball in on the easy ones. On the other hand, you're kind of forced to look the ball in on the hard catches.

thats what im wondering. that or he just has too much time to think on the easy ones and simply panicks.

Crushzilla
09-18-2007, 01:48 AM
thats what im wondering. that or he just has too much time to think on the easy ones and simply panicks.

I think he knows that he has the athleticism of a big play receiver and is ready to light up the YAC. I'll have to ask him next time he calls... :argue:

Steel Pit
09-18-2007, 02:18 AM

Nope, that would be Hines Ward. I do however want the inaccurate or wildly-high pass thrown to Nate Washington. I believe that he does possess the best ability to make the fantastic catch. :jumper:

Galax Steeler
09-18-2007, 03:53 AM
If washington can mature into a better reciever than we could cause havok on deffenses trying to deffend ward, holmes and washington.

HometownGal
09-18-2007, 09:47 AM

Right now - there may be better options in those situations, but this kid is definitely working hard and improving. I'm not sure Santo or Hines could have held onto that ball - that was one helluva hard hit and Nate made the play. That showed a lot of focus not to mention - - grit.

83-Steelers-43
09-18-2007, 09:52 AM
If washington can mature into a better reciever than we could cause havok on deffenses trying to deffend ward, holmes and washington.

Washington made a comment after the Buffalo game about how the fans and media came down hard on him during training camp and during the preseason. Well, what do you expect when your dropping balls left and right? Do you want praised for that? A cookie maybe? Of course you are going to take heat.

He played a good game against the Bills. It's nice to see. So he dropped one, big deal. All WRs do it. As long as he doesn't catch one and drop the next two or three and then catch one I have no worries.

Consistency.

SteelerFanInCA
09-18-2007, 10:49 AM
That was a great way for Nate to bounce back. Even more so I loved how Ben still showed confidence in Nate by coming right back at him.

Polly
09-18-2007, 11:16 AM
nate does everythin so well. He runs his routes good, he always gets open, if he can work on his hands this season, he'll have a breakout season

Kvnfaber
09-18-2007, 12:00 PM
His inconsistency is a little annoying for us fans, but I think the plays he makes, makes up for his drops. Special shout out also to Anthony Gonzalez and the sweet grab he made this week against the Titans (Its on NFL.com's top 10 plays). Representing The Ohio State University! :wink02:

CanadianSteel
09-18-2007, 12:22 PM
That ball he dropped was tipped ever so slightly which does make a difference.

Saying that he still should have made the catch.....

DACEB
09-18-2007, 12:58 PM
Must.... resist....

Every receiver drops the ball. If he has a solid year, I'm willing to bury the hatchet.

I know that was'nt easy for you, but I'm proud of you.

Now com'n jump on the bandwagon. No, not yet? O.K. baby steps.:wink02:

Lord Stiller
09-18-2007, 02:25 PM
If you watch the replay, it almost looks like the pass is intended for Ward. I'm guessing Nate thought the same and simply just lost concentration.

He made up for it later. Not a big deal, Nate is playing well including some nice downfield blocking

T.Richardson
10-02-2009, 02:44 AM
So now the Steelers have a Nate Washington clone, Limas Sweed!!!