PDA

View Full Version : McNabb says black QBs under more pressure

83-Steelers-43
09-18-2007, 08:44 AM
Report: McNabb says black QBs under more pressure
ESPN.com news services
Updated: September 18, 2007, 9:30 AM ET

African-American quarterbacks face more pressure and more criticism than their white counterparts, Philadelphia Eagles QB Donovan McNabb says in an interview scheduled to air on HBO on Tuesday night.

McNabb, in an interview on "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel," tells interviewer James Brown that African-American quarterbacks such as himself face added pressure because there are fewer black QBs -- and because some still don't want black athletes playing the position.

"There's not that many African-American quarterbacks, so we have to do a little bit extra," McNabb tells HBO. "Because the percentage of us playing this position, which people didn't want us to play ... is low, so we do a little extra."

Later in the interview, Brown presses McNabb on criticism of his performance -- and if African-American QBs are graded more harshly.

"I pass for 300 yards, our team wins by seven, [mimicking] 'Ah, he could've made this throw, they would have scored if he did this,' " McNabb tells HBO.

"Doesn't every quarterback go through that?" Brown asks.

"Not everybody," McNabb replies.

Brown then asks if the media is tougher on him than on white quarterbacks such as Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning.

"Let me start by saying I love those guys," McNabb tells HBO. "But they don't get criticized as much as we do. They don't."

In the interview, McNabb also talks to Brown about playing in Philadelphia, a city known for passionate sports fans who aren't afraid to criticize the city's pro athletes.

"Every year I'm part of some criticism," McNabb tells HBO. "But every day that we go through life, you're faced with a lot of adversity. Now the answer is how do you handle the adversity. How do you respond?

"I try to handle myself with class. I try to handle myself with dignity. I think sometimes people look to players to act out, speak loudly, pretty much be an idiot. But that's not me."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3025308

Big D
09-18-2007, 08:46 AM
Mcnabb loves using that race card. What a crock of sh!t. He is under more pressure because he plays in philly.

83-Steelers-43
09-18-2007, 08:48 AM
"I try to handle myself with class. I try to handle myself with dignity. I think sometimes people look to players to act out, speak loudly, pretty much be an idiot. But that's not me."

That's what I always thought up until this interview.

Also, I would like to hear Charlie Frye's take on this.

tony hipchest
09-18-2007, 08:48 AM
try playing in pittsburgh mcnabb, where white qb's got it just as bad, if not worse.

Big D
09-18-2007, 08:56 AM
try playing in pittsburgh mcnabb, where white qb's got it just as bad, if not worse.

he just always has excuses for his sucking. Mcnabb is way overrated.

Big D
09-18-2007, 09:01 AM
I think mcscrub made the same mistake culpepper made and rushed himself from his injury. I think it will cost mcscrub greatly and I dont think mcscrub will be back with the eagles next year

83-Steelers-43
09-18-2007, 09:02 AM
Mcnabb loves using that race card. What a crock of sh!t. He is under more pressure because he plays in philly.

On top of playing in a city where the sports fans are absolutely brutal (some athletes think it's bad here, spend a season in Philly and get back to us), but what has the guy won since being in the league? I think the guy is a talented QB, but he still has something to prove. Sounds familiar huh? Well.............

I also recall Manning being known as a choker come playoff time up until he finally won a Super Bowl. Is that not considered taking heat or being "criticized" in McNabb's book? I'm sure it's great being known as one hell of a regular season QB and then being known as a choker come playoff time. I'm sure that did not eat away at Manning up until he held up that Lombardi.

Give me a break. I'm sure Bryant Gumbel was just loving that interview. :coffee:

Big D
09-18-2007, 09:06 AM
On top of playing in a city where the sports fans are absolutely brutal (some athletes/fans think it's bad here, spend a season in Philly and get back to us), but what has the guy won since being in the league? I think the guy is a talented QB, but he still has something to prove. Sounds familiar huh? Well.............

I also recall Manning being known as a choker come playoff time up until he finally won a Super Bowl. Is that not considered taking heat or being "criticized" in McNabb's book? I'm sure it's great being known as one hell of a regular season QB and then being known as a choker come playoff time. I'm sure that did not eat away at Manning up until he held up that Lombardi.

Give me a break. I'm sure Bryant Gumbel was just loving that interview. :coffee:

I would love to hear t.o's take on this. Fact of the matter is the eagles are a better team without mcnabb. I think last year with garcia is proof of that. Or maybe the fact the eagles have lost 6 out of thier last 7 with mcnabb as a starter. To bad mcnabb ran t.o. out of town

ShutDown24
09-18-2007, 09:11 AM
Peyton Manning and Carson don't get criticized because they are white?

1. They don't get criticized as much because as far as throwing the ball they are a lot better than you.

2. They do get criticized as much as you nationally, just not in Philly.

See, this is the problem with all of these guys using racial excuses when they suck. They actually think they are right. Look Donovan, you are in Philly. Of course you’re going to be criticized more than Palmer in Philly because you play in Philly! Go to Chicago, Cleveland, Carolina, Oakland, and Miami and then tell me you get criticized more there.

Oakland fans are cheering for an AA in Culpepper! What are you talking about Donovan? I think T.O rubbed off on McNabb in the years they played together...

83-Steelers-43
09-18-2007, 09:17 AM
This just in: Mike Tomlin is racist against black people because he cut Bryan Randall and kept Brian St. Pierre. :cheer: :bouncy:

TackleMeBen
09-18-2007, 09:17 AM
i thought i was the only one that thought mcnabb was overrated. what gets me is that africian-americans can use the race card but the causians cant say anything about an africian -american ..(ex.. rush limbaugh). if i am not mistaking isnt the qb position the most critized position in football anyway.. if you cant stand the heat mcscabb get out of the kitchen

X-Terminator
09-18-2007, 09:22 AM
I think McChokey needs to have a talk with Ben Roethlisberger, Bubby Brister and Terry Bradshaw...or Rex Grossman and Trent Green, for that matter...and then do that interview again. He might have a revelation.

McChokey, you get criticized more because you aren't winning and because you play in the dirty asscrack of PA known as Philadelphia. It ain't because you're black. Win a SB, and I guarantee you everyone will love you. Or in the case of Philly fans, not douse you with beer and snowballs.

83-Steelers-43
09-18-2007, 09:26 AM
I would love to hear t.o's take on this. Fact of the matter is the eagles are a better team without mcnabb. I think last year with garcia is proof of that. Or maybe the fact the eagles have lost 6 out of thier last 7 with mcnabb as a starter. To bad mcnabb ran t.o. out of town

See, that's the thing. The guy never came off as a big mouth idiot to me. I thought he handled the T.O. situation with class and maturity. I always felt (and still do feel) that T.O. burned his own bridges when he was in Philly.

McNabb's comments came as a surprise to me. I would expect these type of comments from T.O., Pacman Jones, Marvin Lewis or Michael Vick, but not McNabb. I always liked the guy. I always put his professionalism and the way he went about his job up there with Favre. Apparently I was wrong in doing so. Oh well, I guess you learn something new everyday.

HometownGal
09-18-2007, 09:29 AM
To bad mcnabb ran t.o. out of town

Actually, that is the ONLY good thing McNut has done since he's been in Filthadelphia.

Atta boy, Donovan - play that race card to try to cover up your own inadequacy as a QB. Here you go - made it fresh just for you . . .

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/svdsinner/warm_cup_STFU.jpg

Big D
09-18-2007, 11:29 AM
how about sexy rexy out there in chicago. Do you think he thinks that blacks are under more preasure then white qbs? fact of the matter is that rexy took the bears to the superbowl and bears fans want to run his ass out of town

TackleMeBen
09-18-2007, 11:38 AM
how about sexy rexy out there in chicago. Do you think he thinks that blacks are under more preasure then white qbs? fact of the matter is that rexy took the bears to the superbowl and bears fans want to run his ass out of town
excellent point. i forgot about oh sexy rexy in chicago... they are ready to get the pitchforks after him and throw him in the lake

fansince'76
09-18-2007, 11:48 AM
To bad mcnabb ran t.o. out of town

I think T.O.'s big yap played a big part in that as well.

TackleMeBen
09-18-2007, 11:56 AM
I think T.O.'s big yap played a big part in that as well.

i think they both had ego problems. that is why t.o. and mcscabb couldnt play well together

Godfather
09-18-2007, 01:53 PM
See, that's the thing. The guy never came off as a big mouth idiot to me. I thought he handled the T.O. situation with class and maturity. I always felt (and still do feel) that T.O. burned his own bridges when he was in Philly.

McNabb's comments came as a surprise to me. I would expect these type of comments from T.O., Pacman Jones, Marvin Lewis or Michael Vick, but not McNabb. I always liked the guy. I always put his professionalism and the way he went about his job up there with Favre. Apparently I was wrong in doing so. Oh well, I guess you learn something new everyday.

You hit the nail on the head. McNabb has been a good quarterback when healthy and quickly turned a bottom feeder into a consistent contender. And he handled himself with dignity while being the target of the race card on multiple occassions (Hush Bimbo and TO). On one hand, that experience might be warping his perspective...on the other hand, if anyone in the NFL should know better it's McNabb.

TackleMeBen
09-18-2007, 02:04 PM
i am sure mcscabb's mom will get on the local radio stations in philly to defend her son and all the negative critizism he is getting b/c he is an overrated qb

ShutDown24
09-18-2007, 02:20 PM
i am sure mcscabb's mom will get on the local radio stations in philly to defend her son and all the negative critizism he is getting b/c he is an overrated qb

Campbells soup anyone?

revefsreleets
09-18-2007, 05:05 PM
Wow. This argument is relevant circa 1989, but is complete garbage now. A full 25% of NFL teams are led by black QB's. In fact, I'd say the opposite is true. Mike Vick sucked as a QB but he could run well, so he was given a pass that most white QB's would never be given. Vick hovered right around the Kordoza line, but he was revered as a superstar in the league.

HometownGal
09-18-2007, 05:23 PM

Mama McNabb seems like a real sweet lady -she was adorable in those Chunky Soup commercials, but I think she could kick Donovan's ass up one side and down the other....and probably should after those comments of his. :sofunny:

http://enrico.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/wilmamcnabb.jpg

Aussie_steeler
09-19-2007, 04:19 AM
Is this just a smokescreen or does he truly believe it? I think McNabb is smart enough to create a smokescreen to look after his own backside.

He is playing the "please feel sorry for me card" because he might see the writing on the wall in Philly. They have just invested in Kevin Kolb with their first pick of the draft, he is recovering from injury, has a history of breaking down and has not producing great results.

Playing the race card always seems to scare people away for a while because they are always frightened of being labelled a racist. This is a blatant attempt to make the wolves stop and think before they criticise.

http://www.sportsburn.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/mcnabb.jpg

TroysBadDawg
09-19-2007, 05:14 AM
I am soooo tired of hear ing this race crap. You want us to forget about the color of ones skin then you also forget it and stop playing the martyr. You suck, admit it. You choke, admit it. If the glove don't fit, you can't convict. your not a starter.

rbryan
09-19-2007, 08:48 AM
Wow. This argument is relevant circa 1989, but is complete garbage now. A full 25% of NFL teams are led by black QB's. In fact, I'd say the opposite is true. Mike Vick sucked as a QB but he could run well, so he was given a pass that most white QB's would never be given. Vick hovered right around the Kordoza line, but he was revered as a superstar in the league.

My thoughts exactly. Poor Mcnabb, getting paid Million$ to play a game we all played as kids. Yeah, "the man" is really keeping you down.

You can STFU now and go home to your mansion. Maybe if you spent a little more time preparing for the game instead of giving interviews you might not suck so bad.

Lyn
09-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Anyone remember Tommy Maddox? white guy booed out of town.

rog
09-19-2007, 11:17 AM
My thoughts exactly. Poor Mcnabb, getting paid Million$ to play a game we all played as kids. Yeah, "the man" is really keeping you down.

You can STFU now and go home to your mansion. Maybe if you spent a little more time preparing for the game instead of giving interviews you might not suck so bad.

EXACTLLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big D
09-19-2007, 02:56 PM
September 19, 2007

On whether there were any QBs criticized as much as Chicago Bears QB Rex Grossman was last season:

?Off hand, I probably wouldn?t give you that; I wouldn?t know.?

On whether he was criticized last season:

?Yeah, I was criticized a little bit.?

On whether he was criticized more than Grossman:

?I don?t think anybody, especially for me, has been criticized that much. But you know what, early on, no one talked bad about Rex Grossman. It was just late in the year. Rex is a guy that, although he may not have been playing well towards the end of the year, they still finished the season 14-2, 13-3, whatever it may be, and it took for their head coach to say ?He?s our guy; he?s the quarterback of this team that we?re going to roll with.? One thing I think that people are trying to dig too deep into this whole situation is that, I wasn?t pinpointing particular people. What I said was, the fact that we [black quarterbacks] have to do a little bit extra. If it?s work on some of our weaknesses, then make them better; whatever it may be. No matter the style of play you?re displaying, there?s always going to be criticism. So, I never said that [Colts QB] Peyton [Manning] doesn?t get criticized; I never said [Bengals QB] Carson [Palmer] doesn?t get criticized; I never said [Patriots QB] Tom [Brady] doesn?t get criticized?because they do. We [black quarterbacks] get criticized a little different.?

On what questions he?s asked that white quarterbacks aren?t asked:

?You guys [the media] say the questions- the running quarterback situation. No one ever really talked of [former 49ers QB] Steve Young about the running-quarterback situation, [former QB] Jake Plummer, those particular things. If it was, ?well, he?s not an accurate passer;? the things go on. I mean, those are questions you guys ask. So, you would know what questions you ask me. Again, I didn?t do the [HBO] interview 30 minutes after the game; I didn?t do the interview before the game. The interview was done weeks before the season started. So, all of a sudden it showed. I didn?t tell them when I wanted [it] to air, and the tease that everybody has seen, they just blew it way out of proportion. Then, when they finally get a chance to see it, obviously they understand what I?m saying.?

On whether he was hesitant to answer the question from the interview:

?Not at all. If a question is asked, I?m going to answer it. I?ve been in this business for a long time. If I don?t answer the question, then it?s an issue. If I do answer the question, it?s an issue. One thing, pretty much, that I?ve said with it is, it?s just reality. I only speak on facts- only on something that I?ve been apart of and other quarterbacks that before me and after me have been apart of. So, that?s the only reason I answered the question the way [I did]. He asked it; I answered the way I felt, too. So, did I expect any backlash from it? Yeah. Everything I say I expect backlash from. So, for me sitting up here trying to explain it, hopefully the show shows you exactly what I was saying, and with today, we can end it and move on.?

On whether it?s racist for somebody to ask a black quarterback a question about accuracy or his ability to scramble:

?No, I didn?t say that. This is why I?m trying to explain it, and the show shows it. What I?m saying is, the question was asked [after I made the comment]: ?We [black quarterbacks] have to do a little extra.? Then he [the interviewer, James Brown] said, ?Well, they [white quarterbacks] don?t get criticized?? I [replied], ?No, just differently.? I didn?t say anything about running [quarterbacks during the interview]. I just said it right [now] about Steve Young and Jake Plummer- they?re running quarterbacks- but I don?t think they were asked those questions. For instance, [Titans QB] Vince Young, he came in and didn?t throw for 300 or 200 [yards]- he might have averaged 175 yards passing [last season]- but did whatever it took to win football games. Tennessee put themselves in a position to make it to the playoffs. [Now], he comes in this year, and what?d he pass for, 70-something yards? Now, people are starting to talk about him a little differently than him trying to help his team win games. It?s about winning football games here. That?s what it?s all about. It doesn?t matter if you?re black, white, red, green, yellow; it?s about winning football games.?

On whether it is the nature of the QB position to be scrutinized a little harsher than players at other positions:

?I said everybody gets scrutinized. I said that. I said we just get scrutinized a little differently.?

On whether his use of the term ?WE? for black quarterbacks and ?THEY? for white quarterbacks is being hypocritical:

?No. ?We,? meaning the African-American quarterbacks. Now, when I say ?all of us as quarterbacks,? I say ?all of us as quarterbacks.? That?s all. Am I not explaining it good for all of you, or what is it? You?re all trying to find answers and I?m not giving you. I?m not understanding what you?re saying.?

On whether he?s being hypocritical about bringing up race when categorizing certain quarterbacks as running-quarterbacks:

?Not at all; not at all. The question was asked. I didn?t bring it up. How many times [do I have to say that]. Just rewind it, or Tivo it and rewind it. Find out what I said. I didn?t bring it up [the topic that black quarterbacks face more criticism than white quarterbacks]. The question was asked; I answered it.?

On whether he knew ahead of time what the interview would be about:

?The interview was about my life and talked about me growing up, my career here, and that was it. So, it wasn?t that we sat down and talked about black-and-white issues; we talked about my life.?

On whether the media is harder on him because he?s black:

?I mean everybody gets criticized. I just said that. All quarterbacks get criticized no matter what it is. They talked about Peyton not winning the big game. They talked about Tom Brady and his baby, or whatever- his girlfriend. So, we [all quarterbacks] get criticized no matter what. I didn?t say that [only black quarterbacks get criticized].?

On how criticism is different amongst quarterbacks:

?It?s different for all of us.?

On what makes it different for black quarterbacks:

?There?s a lot different. The questions we have to answer. You wouldn?t ask anybody else some of the questions we get asked. It?s reality; face it.?

On whether there is still a stereotype for black quarterbacks:

?I don?t know. I mean, you answer that. There?s nothing that I can answer. I personally don?t care. When I put my uniform on, I?m out there to win football games. I?ve said that many of times, to win football games.?

On the media?s argument that white quarterbacks are questioned about being running-quarterbacks, too, like QB Jeff Garcia:

?Okay. I wasn?t pinpointing you guys [just the local media]. I mean it happens. It?s reality. So, if it?s not you guys, then don?t worry about it, right? If it?s not you, it could be somebody else. Relax.?

On whether he receives scrutiny as a black quarterback from outside the media:

?I only speak on facts. If I didn?t receive it here, I receive it outside. The same goes for every other quarterback. If they don?t receive it from their media, they receive it outside.?

On what he hears from outside people:

?It really doesn?t matter for me to try to explain. It?s just something that I?ve experienced. So why go deep into it? Why? It?s over.?

On whether he regrets making the comment that black quarterbacks face more criticism than white quarterbacks:

?No, I don?t regret it. I don?t regret it at all. I stand by my comments.?

On whether he wishes the piece aired at another time than when it did:

?Why? If it had come out later in the year, then you guys would have talked about [it then], too. So, it really doesn?t matter.?

Big D
09-19-2007, 02:58 PM
I love how the press ate him alive today. I cant stand this guy

fansince'76
09-19-2007, 03:21 PM
I love how the press ate him alive today. I cant stand this guy

No doubt. Hey Donovan, ever wonder why QBs like yourself get paid a LOT more than everybody else on the team? This is part of the reason. Don't want the criticism? PLAY BETTER. :crying01:

SteelCityMan786
09-19-2007, 03:25 PM

Exactly. In the NFL it's never a matter of race. If you are getting booed and bugged about how you are doing, it's your fault.

Big D
09-19-2007, 03:29 PM
I by no means am a brady fan. I think he's a big homo in all. But I would argue up and down that mcnabb has been surounded by more talent then tom brady ever was.

Jman
09-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Hmmm... I am pretty much on the same page as a lot of folks here. I live in Allentown, PA about an hour north of Phili. In fact, Bethlehem, the city next to A-town is where Lehigh college is (Eagles' training camp). This is Eagles' country out here...Even the fans out here think this is a joke for him to be saying this...

For me, he's right...Manning and Brady don't get criticized as much...of course, that's probably because they're better.

Big D
09-19-2007, 03:32 PM
Hmmm... I am pretty much on the same page as a lot of folks here. I live in Allentown, PA about an hour north of Phili. In fact, Bethlehem, the city next to A-town is where Lehigh college is (Eagles' training camp). This is Eagles' country out here...Even the fans out here think this is a joke for him to be saying it...

For me, he's right...Manning and Brady don't get criticized...because they're better.

exactly. If Mcscrub wants to be in the same tier as Manning and brady I think he needs to get a lombardi trophy or two in his trophy case

moedap
09-19-2007, 04:17 PM
Donovan McNabb has never been surrounded by the offensive talent that Brady or Manning has. Anyone who believes otherwise is delusional. Although I think McNabb can be a little sensitive he isnt too far off with his comments.

fansince'76
09-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Donovan McNabb has never been surrounded by the offensive talent that Brady or Manning has. Anyone who believes otherwise is delusional. Although I think McNabb can be a little sensitive he isnt too far off with his comments.

Sorry, I think he is way off with his comments in regards to race. All QBs are subject to criticism, it comes with the territory - if their teams lose, they generally get too much of the blame across the board, and when they win, they get too much credit across the board. In the NFL, if a guy has what it takes to play the position and excel, he plays that position - regardless of whether he's white, black, yellow, red or purple. I guess McNair being named co-NFL MVP back in '03 along with Manning was racism? Like revefsreleets said in an earlier post, this would have been a legitimate argument 20 years ago. It doesn't fly now.

MasterOfPuppets
09-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Donovan McNabb has never been surrounded by the offensive talent that Brady or Manning has.
annnnnnd , thats the reason for phillys lack of sb wins??? was 2nd year ben roethlisburgher surrounded by talent when he won the sb??? sorry, try again...

Anyone who believes otherwise is delusional. Although I think McNabb can be a little sensitive he isnt too far off with his comments. how about telling us why you think so....:coffee:

Livinginthe past
09-19-2007, 04:41 PM

Ok.

How about naming some of this stellar talent that Brady has had at his disposal?

Westbrook remains one of the elite two way threats in the backfield.

Let me throw some names at you regarding Brady's 'surrounding talent' - Jabar Gaffney, Reche Caldwell, Antowain Smith, David Givens, David Patten, Troy Brown, Deion Branch, Donald Hayes.....

Not many HOFers there, right?

Some decent players -sure, but those that have left have totally failed to repeat their output elsewhere.

I think McNabb is an okay guy from what I can tell, but the enduring image I have of him from the SB was of him puking into his helmet and walking slowly to the line while the clock ticked to zero on Phily's chance of tying the game.

tony hipchest
09-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Let me throw some names at you regarding Brady's 'surrounding talent' - Jabar Gaffney, Reche Caldwell, Antowain Smith, David Givens, David Patten, Troy Brown, Deion Branch, Donald Hayes.....

. great point litp. one would think the patriots would need mega doses of juice, and defensive plays constantly called into brady's headset to overcome that group of vagabonds.

....but since that isnt the case, brady is truly a great qb. :rolleyes:

anyways, i watched the JB interview with mccnabb. no biggie. didnt someone make the point of condoleeza rice's new book "twice as good" (or whatever)?

SteelersMongol
09-20-2007, 11:05 AM
I don't like it when anyone tried to play race card. I liked McNabb they way he played in his SB debut (can I say that?). But now he said this I like him a little less. He was pretty much the only reason I liked the Eagles.

Godfather
09-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Ok.

How about naming some of this stellar talent that Brady has had at his disposal?

Westbrook remains one of the elite two way threats in the backfield.

Some decent players -sure, but those that have left have totally failed to repeat their output elsewhere.

I think McNabb is an okay guy from what I can tell, but the enduring image I have of him from the SB was of him puking into his helmet and walking slowly to the line while the clock ticked to zero on Phily's chance of tying the game.

In fairness, the Eagles haven't exactly had Swann, Stallworth, Harris, and Bleier during McNabb's career. The best receiver they've had (talent-wise) is a locker-room cancer who caused problems on three different teams.

As far as puking in his helmet, one of the Pats fans here has pointed out in the past that it wasn't from being nervous. It was from getting JACKE|D UP by Jarvis Green.

X-Terminator
09-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Anyone remember Tommy Maddox? white guy booed out of town.

I remember Maddox, and while he was given hell by the fair-weather "faithful," it had nothing to do with him being cut. It was purely a football and business decision by the Rooneys and Kevin Colbert to release him. No more, no less.

Aussie_steeler
09-22-2007, 06:24 AM
I think Rex Grossman would say that he is feeling more pressure than McNabb at the current moment.

Who do you think is feeling more heat Donovan?

http://www.wayodd.com/noindex2/funny-pictures-all-part-of-the-game-1td.jpg

Godfather
09-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Definitely Rexie...

However, McNabb is the one quarterback in the NFL who has been subjected to explicity racial scrutiny. That may have warped his perspective. Note that Vince Young disagreed with his premise and Byron Leftwich made fun of him--which indicates the younger black quarterbacks in the league are not being treated any differently. Which means at least in the NFL, the issue has become virtually nonexistent.

Elvis
09-23-2007, 10:14 AM
:helmet:I think that McNabb is just making excuses for his
Poor Play myself...
:tt02:
Its just a matter of time til' the Eagles must make
a decision at QB

Edman
09-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Tom Brady and Peyton Manning aren't subject to as much scrutiny as you are Donovan because they don't suck. Right now, you're an injury-prone QB on a bad leg who is sucking terribly right now. You're under more scrutiny because you suck. Race has nothing to do to with it.

If he thought Philly hated him now, he hasn't seen anything yet. What an idiotic statement.

Philly has drafted and compiled loads of talent on that team for Mcscrub, and he (and perhaps Reid) have done nothing but waste it with their choke jobs. I think 2004 (Super Bowl XXXIX) was their last and best chance to win, now I think that window of opportunity is closed. Which If I were an Eagles fan, I'd be very sore about because The Eagles were playing the Pats tough until Mcscrub had to get sick and choke all of the sudden. Just my 2 cents.

Godfather
09-23-2007, 10:37 AM
McNabb is brittle. That's a valid criticism. The timing of when the comments were publshed makes him look like a crybaby. That's fair too. He shouldn't have brought it up after the country rallied behind him when Hush Bimbo and TO made racist statements about him. Playing the race card when you should know better due to experience is bush league.

But McNabb does not suck. That's just nuts. The last two seasons he was healthy (2003-2004), he threw for a combined 7000 yards, completed over 60% of his passes, and had 47 touchdowns with just 19 interceptions.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/McNaDo00.htm

revefsreleets
09-23-2007, 04:27 PM
He obviously had a chip on his shoulder today and came out and performed, albeit against a very suspect Detroit defense. It bothers me a lot, though, when these guys seem to be able to just turn it on and and off. I only respect competitors who make millions of dollars when they play to their potential all the time, regardless of what's going on in the press.

tony hipchest
09-23-2007, 04:54 PM
ive seen mcnabb have alot of games like the one he had today w/o having to draw on the press for external motivation. todays performance can be attributed to a good gameplan, a good qb, and a defense who wasnt up to the challenge.

as for the media firestorm over mcnabbs interview (who many think was given last week), i can see where he is coming from when c. palmers skin is practically sucked off his bone by the media for throwing 6td's in a loss.

if mcnabb threw 6 td's in a loss he would probably be blasted for not running enough.

i think the assertion that mcnabb just "turned it on" because of the media drama just proves his point that he faces a hell of alot more scrutiny than alot of top qb's.

on the other hand, the media darling palmer can screw up as often as he wants, not post wins, and he will always know as a golden boy, regardless.

revefsreleets
09-23-2007, 06:27 PM
LOL. It was interesting to see some coaches talking about coaching black QB's in college in the south in the 70's in response. THOSE QB's faced some scrutiny. McNabb plays in Philly. If Rocky played QB they'd boo him, too. His race is obviously an issue to him, and I'm sure his motivation is a personal issue for him as well.

tony hipchest
09-23-2007, 06:36 PM
LOL. It was interesting to see some coaches talking about coaching black QB's in college in the south in the 70's in response. THOSE QB's faced some scrutiny. McNabb plays in Philly. If Rocky played QB they'd boo him, too. His race is obviously an issue to him, and I'm sure his motivation is a personal issue for him as well.are you saying mcnabb wants to win because he is black?

im sure the competitive nature of pro atheletes, and the thrill of being a winner alone supercedes race issues.

donnovan wants to win because he is a competitive football player, not because he is black.

but i will agree with you. mcnabb has always hot dogged it throughout his career when he is not faced with media adversity :rolleyes:

how great it is to be able to "turn it on" like that.

TackleMeBen
09-23-2007, 07:23 PM
on the other hand, the media darling palmer can screw up as often as he wants, not post wins, and he will always know as a golden boy, regardless.

and here i thought tom brady was the golden boy:flap::flap:, maybe he just has the golden.............(i better not go there :wink02:)

Godfather
09-23-2007, 09:07 PM
LOL. It was interesting to see some coaches talking about coaching black QB's in college in the south in the 70's in response. THOSE QB's faced some scrutiny.

Unfortunately they still do.

There were LSU "fans" who didn't like Jamarcus Russell and Rohan Davey. Mostly people who couldn't even spell LSU.

revefsreleets
09-24-2007, 01:13 PM
are you saying mcnabb wants to win because he is black?

No, I'm saying that McNabb plays hard when he wants to, and phones it in when he doesn't, just like any other athlete is capable of.

83-Steelers-43
09-25-2007, 11:23 PM
Now McNabb can call up Rex Grossman and see what he has to say about this 'issue'.

Keep playing that card Donovan. :yawn:

Preacher
09-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Hmmm....

This makes me ask another question in relations to Rush's comments...

1. Was Donovan overrated?

2. Is Donovan now starting to feel pressure because the press is asking him questions they never asked before? and if so... then...

3. Is the press paying Donovan back with all this criticism?

See... I just find it funny that Rush Limbaugh makes a comment about the press wanting McNabb to succeed because he was black... and now, McNabb saying he is feeling all this pressure because as a black QB, he is under a microscope.

Isn't that just a little odd?

revefsreleets
09-26-2007, 02:46 PM
I don't think he's overrated. When he's on his game he can be dominating. But this race garbage gets old. I don't want to go off on a tangent, but the Jena, LA situation is a perfect example of the dichotomy. If this was 6 white kids beating a black kid almost to death, the outcry (complete with Reverend Al) would be there no matter what, and God forbid if the situation was EXACTLY reversed, and the white kids were NOT being charged with murder, the black community would be even more enraged then they are now. Nobody is applying a higher standard to Donovan because of his color, and he's delusional if he actually believes differently. Newsflash: In a Country of 300 million people, there are exactly 32 starting NFL QB's. You bet you're ass they are going to be scrutinized!