PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' D vs. Brady, Moss and the Pats

DACEB
09-18-2007, 11:15 AM
O.K. I'm sure everyone knows that the Pats dismantled the Jets and the highly touted Chargers, and actually made it look easy.

Brady to Moss has looked pretty unstoppable, granted I don't think neither the Jets or Chargers played well defensively. The Chargers actually deployed their base 3-4 against the Pats 4 WR set, which the LBs were easily overmatched by the WRs speed. The Jets brought absolutely no pressure on Brady which gave him all the time in the world to pick them apart.

My question is, what defensive package and what personell would the Steelers put on the field to combat the Pats 4 & 5 WR sets?

I myself like a 4 man D-line so that you can apply some pressure with just the front 4 instead of 3 men and a possible blitzer. The Steelers have used a combination of Keisel, Hoke, Hampton and Smith for their DIME package with Woodley subbing. I prefer the natural DE over the OLB playing DE in the DIME package.

2 deep safeties and 4 CBs.

The man in the middle of the formation is important to me, and is usually a LB. That is where Timmons could play a major role, with his speed and athletism. Timmons does'nt have the experience at this time so Farrior would probably be the man. I would actually put Polamalu in the middle and put Clark and Smith at safeties. Troy can cover much more ground, is a great blitzer, and can tackle in the open field. This would also put Smith in position to play the ball and lay the big hit.

What do you all think?

fansince'76
09-18-2007, 11:21 AM
DACEB - I hope you don't mind, but I renamed the thread "Steelers' D vs. Brady, Moss and the Pats" - thanks.

Polly
09-18-2007, 11:34 AM
I like it, but I wouldn't be surprised if lebeau rushes 3 guys and keeps brady guessin on whether that fourth man is commin or droppin back in coverage. What you said about polamalu in the middle could be quite risky. I like it though because brady wouldn't have a clue what troy is going to do. Anthony smith is a beast dont get me wrong I love the guy, but brady will be lookin his way..a lot.

Brady will still pass for a lot of yards, and he always seems to exploit the steelers pass defense when he plays us, always. With moss, stallworth, and welter, I'd be havin nightmares if I were lebeau

tony hipchest
09-18-2007, 11:43 AM
this big dime is something lebeau and the 4 linemen really like. of course the lb's such as foote think it sucks to come off the field but they admit the scheme is effective.

the good thing about this package is that if a team tries to run out of it, our 6 db's are excellent in run support. i think weve played a simple form of it to this point. once we get to more complicated offenses with more talent, is when we could see something like troy coming on a blitz while timmons drops back to pick up his man.

TackleMeBen
09-18-2007, 11:50 AM
i dont care what defense we have out there as long as they can keep brady on his rear all game..

NateC
09-18-2007, 12:04 PM
In my mind Only way to be effective againse the pats is to just slow them down, Brady if he is in the game is gonna find targets. but can we step up on D and make maybe even 1 big play, thats the question i know we can but will we. And on offense we can also basically do what we want. Ben can find open guys with time. I have confidence in that. i also think we will be able to get the ground game going with najah and willie at the right times. maybe a few more passes to willie and a few more runs to NaJEHHH. you cant Stop the pats, we can hope to pressure pressure and pressure some more and try to slow em down. and hope our offense just plain scores more points.

DACEB
09-18-2007, 12:07 PM
absolutely Tony, These are the types of packages that Tomlin wants Timmons in on. These are the types of packages where Timmons would show his versatility. Imagine Troy and Timmons wandering around the line of scrimmage with both having the ability to blitz, cover and attack the ball carrier.

Polly, you have a concern with Smith in coverage? I think from strictly a coverage standpoint (2 deep safety zone)that Smith has all the ability and speed Troy has and I just love his hitting. I look at it like this, we won't be able to stop them all the time so you need someone to lay that BIG hit to deter Moss from running rampant. It's amazing how many balls get dropped when the WRs are looking around for the big hit.

I think we have some talented DBs. No way would I put Townsend on Moss, but Ike would do a good job. Put someone with more speed, like McFadden, on Stallworth and let Townsend cover the crafty Welker. Gay and Smith have shown themselves to be quite the ballhawks so I actually think we have the personell.

Rotorhead
09-18-2007, 12:08 PM
The Pats are stoppable, we have done it before. We need to get pressure on Brady and not let him sit in the pocket picking us apart. We need to take away the long plays so they have to work for their yardage. And we have to do what we do best, stop the running game and make them 1 dimensional.

TackleMeBen
09-18-2007, 12:09 PM
well we did get to peyton that year... so maybe we can do the same to the sperminator aka brady

fansince'76
09-18-2007, 12:11 PM
If we pressure Brady, we will be successful, if not, we will get eaten alive. Simple.

DACEB
09-18-2007, 12:18 PM
I like the BIG D-line for all those reasons. It allows us to get pressure with the front 4 and clogs the running lanes with the 4 WR 1 RB set.

X-Terminator
09-18-2007, 12:20 PM
One thing I think they need to do is to respect, but not fear their passing attack. With the talent they have, they are going to get some yards. So I think they should mix up the defensive fronts, pressure Brady to force him to make quick decisions/mistakes, and take away the big plays. It's the same philosophy LeBeau used against Manning in the '05 playoffs and what they will probably use against Palmer this season (though I think Palmer is much more easily rattled than either Brady or Manning).

Just my .02.

tony hipchest
09-18-2007, 12:25 PM
and actually our best defense against brady will be that when he lines up and surveys the field there will not be any coaches in his earhole explaining to him what he sees or telling him where to go with the ball. we will probably show a few blitzes he has never seen, put him on his back a couple of times in the 1st quarter and watch him unravel. they wont be able to run and we should be able to pick off a few balls.

rbryan
09-18-2007, 01:19 PM
First thing you gotta due is smack Moss in the mouth. The last two weeks looked more like a track meet than a football game for him. Lets see how well Brady handles the new scheme Lebeau is running. You think maybe we'll switch up our signals for that game??

Note to the Rooneys: bring your own communication system to foxboro.

Whose the backup QB in NE??

OneForTheToe
09-18-2007, 01:54 PM

Isn't it still Vinnie "Barbarino" Testaverde?

fansince'76
09-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Isn't it still Vinnie "Barbarino" Testaverde?

Nope, Testaverde got the ax on the final cutdown. Their backup is still Matt Cassel, as far as I know.

TackleMeBen
09-18-2007, 02:01 PM
well we should just take both of the Pats qbs out... lol

DACEB
09-18-2007, 02:21 PM
First thing you gotta due is smack Moss in the mouth. The last two weeks looked more like a track meet than a football game for him.

I say the same thing, you've got to hit Moss early and often. Get him thinking about the hit and suddenly the timing isn't that crisp anymore. Same goes for Brady, put him on his back.

They will get their yards, but make them earn and feel every one.

The Duke
09-18-2007, 03:47 PM
Ike has been covering receivers really well and because of that not many throws have gone his way. I expect the same to be against the pats.

moedap
09-18-2007, 03:52 PM
I disagree with the Big D line on the dime package. Too slow to get pressure on Brady a fifth rusher would be necessary. Although they would deter runs between the tackles the outside would be vunerable. Plus that 4 WR and 5 WR set from the Pats often includes Watson.

LVSteelersfan
09-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Brady's O-line is huge and very impressive. As said earlier, if we get no pressure on him, we will be toast. We need to play mistake free offense to stand a chance in the game. The Pats Defense keeps getting them the ball back in good field position. We cannot let that happen. I am hoping we can get just a little pressure on Brady or it could be a very long day. I hope someone gives them a few tough games before they get to us to shut up those arrogant Pats fans out there.

Stlrs4Life
09-18-2007, 04:19 PM
I really don't want to think about it!

revefsreleets
09-18-2007, 06:01 PM
I agree. This is probably the most classic example of putting the cart before the horse I've ever seen on this board.

There is a ton of football to be played before then, and a million different things could happen. That's exactly why coaches make their game plans up one week at a time.

WV-SteelerFan
09-18-2007, 07:01 PM
I really don't want to think about it!

I agree. This is probably the most classic example of putting the cart before the horse I've ever seen on this board.There is a ton of football to be played before then, and a million different things could happen. That's exactly why coaches make their game plans up one week at a time.

I think it's putting the cart waaaaaaaaay before the horse seeing as how this week will only be game #3 & the Patriots game is #13 on our schedule...

TheWarDen86
09-18-2007, 08:52 PM
I think it's putting the cart waaaaaaaaay before the horse seeing as how this week will only be game #3 & the Patriots game is #13 on our schedule...

Someone else may have figured it out by then too. It's a copy cat league remember? I know the Giants shut down and shut out the Vikings in 2000 (D. Culpepper, C. Carter and R. Moss). If I recall they did it with sssLLLOOOOwwww a$$ Dave Thomas at CB. I think Cris Carter is one of the best recievers to ever play football, so this to me was no small feat. If they can do then Big Nasty D can too. Also, not sure who commented on hitting him early and often but I definitely agree with that on ANY reciever, but especially Randy. He's a big sissy and is not fond of contact. Just my thoughts.

Livinginthe past
09-18-2007, 11:22 PM
For those who are interested there have been barely any genuine 4 WR sets and no 5 WR sets at all during the first 2 weeks.

4 WR's have been on the field for only 4 of the 127 offensive snaps so far.

What we are seeing is a balanced unit with 2 WR's/2TE's/1 RB the most typical with the 3 TE/1 WR set getting plenty of action too.

Positional groupings vs the Jets

2 WR/2 TE/1 RB -- 31/63 snaps
1 WR/3 TE/1 RB -- 12/63 snaps
1 WR/2 TE/1 FB/1 RB -- 8/63 snaps
3 WR/1 TE/ 1 RB -- 8/63 snaps
4 WR/1 RB -- 3/63 snaps
3 TE/1 FB/1 RB -- 1/63 snap

Positional groupings vs the Chargers

2 WR/2 TE/1 RB -- 27 of 64 snaps
3 WR/1 TE/1 RB -- 23 of 64 snaps
1 WR/3 TE/1 RB -- 11 of 64 snaps
1 WR/2 TE/1FB/1RB -- 2 of 64 snaps
4 WR/1RB -- 1 of 64 snaps

We've always had to pass to open up the run against the Steelers and this year will be no different - though we definitely have (at this moment in time) the best crop of WR's ever at Brady's disposal.

JackHammer
09-19-2007, 03:02 AM
I like it, but I wouldn't be surprised if lebeau rushes 3 guys and keeps brady guessin on whether that fourth man is commin or droppin back in coverage. What you said about polamalu in the middle could be quite risky. I like it though because brady wouldn't have a clue what troy is going to do. Anthony smith is a beast dont get me wrong I love the guy, but brady will be lookin his way..a lot.

Brady will still pass for a lot of yards, and he always seems to exploit the steelers pass defense when he plays us, always. With moss, stallworth, and welter, I'd be havin nightmares if I were lebeau

LeBeau is from the dark side. Nightmares have him, not the other way around. Brady will pay for his past sins against us!!!!!!!!!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
09-19-2007, 03:47 AM
The Pats game isn't until Dec...lol I think its a bit early to preview this one....Still alot of football to played until then......Who knows what injuries might happen? Who knows if Randy gets suspended for smoking the wacky weed or running over a traffic cop? One thing I'm sure is that Donte "Mr. Hamstring" Stallworth will have pulled his hammy yet again by then....lol

ChronoCross
09-19-2007, 04:15 AM
Why even bring this up.. we have 49ers this weekend and should worry about that game first and work game to game.. I will talk about pats when we get to them..

DACEB
09-19-2007, 07:38 AM
Why even bring this up.. we have 49ers this weekend and should worry about that game first and work game to game.. I will talk about pats when we get to them..

great analysis!

rbryan
09-19-2007, 08:39 AM

I hear ya.

New man law: No more talking about the cheating patsies till its time to play them. All in favor ???

thebus36idf
09-19-2007, 12:40 PM
I think dick lebeau did an awsome Job against the seemingly unstoppable colts our championship season. I especially liked in the last few plays of the game the series before bettis fimbled the ball then steelers defense didn't sit nback, and let peyton pick us apart. We went after him, and sacked him twice in a row. We were also very affective using this same blitzburgh defense against the bengals last year. To bad Big ben threw to many interceptions, and santonio dropped a couple of punt returns. I think we can stick it to these teams if we stick to what we do best. 3-4 with many diffferent blitz packages. Mix it [U]p. Brady, and manning are to good at reading defenses to line up fou, and just cover. Plus our corners aren't solid enough.]

HometownGal
09-19-2007, 01:30 PM
If we pressure Brady, we will be successful, if not, we will get eaten alive. Simple.

That's it in a nutshell. :thumbsup:

Ass Chin does not like to be pressured and if we can consistently keep the pass rush coming, he will be forced to throw, kept off kilter and make mistakes.

Dino 6 Rings
09-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but the Pats? not my concern. 49ers are all that matter. Dick L, Mike T, don't care about the Pats right now. Its all about stopping Gore and putting up 30 points again. That's all that matters.

GBMelBlount
09-19-2007, 08:32 PM
I hope the powers that be are totally focused on this coming week, one game at a time. Also, I really appreciate this thread. It has been very interesting, and I have learned alot. Thanks Guys! This is why i love SF.

DACEB
09-20-2007, 09:26 AM
For those who are interested there have been barely any genuine 4 WR sets and no 5 WR sets at all during the first 2 weeks.

I'm curious as to where you got that info LITP. I'd like to get the same type of info, but actually the defensive formations the Steelers have used.

Get back to me, LITP.

DACEB
09-20-2007, 09:34 AM
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but the Pats? not my concern. 49ers are all that matter. Dick L, Mike T, don't care about the Pats right now. Its all about stopping Gore and putting up 30 points again. That's all that matters.

I did'nt realize this thread was taking away from the time Dick L, and Mike T have to prepare for the 49ers. My bad!

ChronoCross, your the funniest, you took the time to bury this thread and the 'week 4 thread' yet you did'nt even post in the 'week 3' thread for the 49ers. Guess you really don't have anything too intelligent to add.

Guess I should thank you guys for keeping it going though.:cheers:

Livinginthe past
09-20-2007, 10:25 AM
I'm curious as to where you got that info LITP. I'd like to get the same type of info, but actually the defensive formations the Steelers have used.

Get back to me, LITP.

Hey DACEB,

Unfortunately its done by a Boston Globe sports writer on his blog - its something that all journalists should be doing - giving you the facts and let you draw the conclusions instead of giving us pages of baseless rhetoric and opinion.

FWIW, the page is http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

DACEB
09-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Thanks LITP, I'll check it out.

Glace
09-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Our defense will be important for the game against the pats....but the offense will be more important.

#1 we need to outscore them.
#2 we need to keep their offense off the field
#3 is related to #2 because it keeps our defense off the field, resting and fresh for when they take the field. That is monumental in allowing for big plays on defense.

So yeah, while I agree, it will be the major test of the defense this year....our offense is MUCH more important to a victory in that game....

Well....what am I saying....ALL games....

memphissteelergirl
09-20-2007, 11:29 AM

Absolutely! One game at a time, y'all. (Although I confess I love the idea of Troy or Anthony lowering the boom on Randy "Needs a Barber Desperately" Moss! )

jd2
09-20-2007, 02:41 PM
LeBeau don't get nighmare's, he gives them.

MasterOfPuppets
09-20-2007, 09:51 PM
FOO!!

Your kingdom has been judge and has been found wanting! It will be divided between the Colts and the Patriots...

Patriots be comin.....and HELL commin wid'm:huh:......:alcoholic

GBMelBlount
09-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Our defense will be important for the game against the pats....but the offense will be more important.

#1 we need to outscore them.
#2 we need to keep their offense off the field
#3 is related to #2 because it keeps our defense off the field, resting and fresh for when they take the field. That is monumental in allowing for big plays on defense.

So yeah, while I agree, it will be the major test of the defense this year....our offense is MUCH more important to a victory in that game....

Well....what am I saying....ALL games....

#1 works for me....

tony hipchest
09-20-2007, 10:04 PM
:huh:......:alcoholic

lol.

no making fun of "Finger on the Wall".

(i have put my "Finger in the Dike", once.)

:huh:

oh yeah, maybe it was a :thumbsup:, or perhaps a :banana:

:point::hope::tap::freddy::chillpill:cooldude:

fansince'76
09-20-2007, 10:19 PM
You have been givin the FINGER...that is all...

Take it to the Blast Furnace if you're going to talk smack. :coffee: :yawn:

Rotorhead
09-21-2007, 02:26 AM
I definately agree we need to smack Moss a couple of good times. If we turn Troy loose on him in the 1st quarter, punish him everytime he gets the ball, we wont have to worry about him anymore. I recall Troy doing that to Antonio Gates when we played the Chargers 2 years ago. Gates would actually run the other way everytime he saw Troy in the second half. I also recall the look on Brady's face when we put the hurt on them that same year with our blitz package. It didnt matter what receivers he had, he was confused and sitting on the field after sack # whatever with a dazed look on his face helmetless. We can definately beat them, I look forward to that game!