PDA

View Full Version : Joey Porter's Bark Proves Bigger Than His Bite

alittlejazzbird
09-18-2007, 12:17 PM
From Alex Marvez's column yesterday on Foxsports.com....so far, looks like the Rooneys once again knew exactly when to cut ties.

And props to Terrell Owens for the (probably unbeknownst to him) "Marion the Barbarian" musical theatre pun. (sorry, a little musician humor, couldn't resist) :wink02:

After Sunday?s 37-20 loss to Dallas, linebacker Joey Porter should know it was easier to back his words when playing for Pittsburgh rather than the downtrodden Miami Dolphins.

Porter talked some trash about Marion Barber to FOXSports.com before the game, calling him ?BLEEP y? and saying the Cowboys running back ?thinks he?s a tough guy sometimes.? Porter also said he was ?going to be looking for? Barber.

It didn?t take long for Porter to find him, as the two exchanged words on the field before the game. Porter also was penalized 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct on Barber?s first carry when ripping off his helmet on a tackle.

Barber was unfazed and proceeded to rush for 89 yards and two touchdowns on just 14 carries. Porter finished with a measly two tackles, which isn?t what the Dolphins expected when signing him to a five-year, $32 million contract this off-season.

Barber said afterward that he was unaware of Porter?s pre-game comments and had nothing further to add. But such a plea of ignorance sounds suspicious, especially when wide receiver Terrell Owens said he knew about Porter?s barbs.

?I think Marion handled that situation very nicely getting into the end zone twice,? Owens said. ?Marion, by no means, is going to shy from anyone. His name should be ?Marion the Barbarian? because he has a nose and a knack for the goal line. If there is contact to be made, he's going to make it."

As for Porter, he was short with Dolphins media after a second consecutive loss.

?We are a better defense than we showed the last two weeks,? Porter said. ?To have it happen like it did (against Dallas) ? it?s kind of embarrassing.?

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/Alex_Marvez/2007/09/17/Porters_bark_proves_bigger_than_his_bite

fansince'76
09-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Porter also was penalized 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct on Barber’s first carry when ripping off his helmet on a tackle.

Porter finished with a measly two tackles, which isn’t what the Dolphins expected when signing him to a five-year, $32 million contract this off-season.

So, one of the two times Porter did anything all game, he gets himself tagged for a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. The decline of Peezy continues....

tony hipchest
09-18-2007, 12:30 PM
i'll still give porter style points for ripping off the dallas cowhelmet.

Atlanta Dan
09-18-2007, 12:39 PM
With regard to 2 disgruntled vets, Faneca has kept quiet since the regular season started - any thoughts on whether Joey would be running his mouth about his contract situation if he was still in Pittsburgh?

Joey was a great Steeler for many years, but give the Rooneys credit to recognize cutting ties was the way to go even if they received nothing in return.

rbryan
09-18-2007, 12:58 PM
I must admit that Faneca has looked pretty good the first two games. If he continues to play like he has, he will get paid.

I don't take any satisfaction from JP going down hill. I think everyone except Miami saw that coming. I will choose to remember him running over Peyton Manning when it counted the most during the 05 playoffs as my lasting memory of him.

fansince'76
09-18-2007, 01:00 PM
I don't take any satisfaction from JP going down hill.

Me neither, I said what I said more as being glad we didn't break the bank to keep him, which more than a few wanted us to do.

alittlejazzbird
09-18-2007, 01:13 PM
I don't take any satisfaction from JP going down hill. I think everyone except Miami saw that coming. I will choose to remember him running over Peyton Manning when it counted the most during the 05 playoffs as my lasting memory of him.

I'm with you - I'm always rooting for former Steelers as long as it doesn't affect us on a divisional basis, so there's no joy here over his misfortune. Even though we couldn't keep Peezy, I'll always wish him well unless he's playing against the Steelers or we're fighting for the same playoff spot.

Also agree re: the '05 Indy game; it's my best memory of him, and the one I'll keep.

rog
09-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Just so everyone knows I still have my signed Joey Porter jersey hanging on my wall but he needs to learn how to quit running his mouth. I'm not sure but I don't think Barber called him out so why does he feel like he has to do this it doesn't make sense. I loved watching Porter play for us and was sad to see him go but I don't know if he stayed if Tomlin would put up with this kind of stuff.

polamalufan43
09-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Joey Joey Joey :banging:

Well, if the gas in the tank is almost on empty, I'm glad we traded him when we did.
Still like him as a though, that whole Steeler attachment thing I guess.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

HometownGal
09-18-2007, 05:27 PM
No matter who they were/are - if they ever wore black and gold, I wish them nothing but the best when they leave da Burgh. Peezy was one of my heroes when he was here, but now he is da enemy!

revefsreleets
09-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Actually, I've seen Faneca make some miscues in the first couple of games that I normally wouldn't expect to.

The Duke
09-18-2007, 05:48 PM
I said it before in another thread, Joey is not the same without big snack clogging the line

Atlanta Dan
09-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Just so everyone knows I still have my signed Joey Porter jersey hanging on my wall but he needs to learn how to quit running his mouth. I'm not sure but I don't think Barber called him out so why does he feel like he has to do this it doesn't make sense. I loved watching Porter play for us and was sad to see him go but I don't know if he stayed if Tomlin would put up with this kind of stuff.

As the saying goes - his mind is writing checks his body can no longer cash

stillers4me
09-18-2007, 07:34 PM
It's always hard to see an ex Steeler go downhill. I too wish Joey nothing but the best. He played hard for us and a lot of times came up big when we needed him to. Joey will never stop running his mouth..... that's part of what makes Joey Joey! I miss him being a Steeler, but am glad that the Rooneys are making the decisions and not me. On to bigger and better things now.... and so far this year they're looking good.

Well said!! Peezy won my heart when he ground Peyton Manning into the turf! (not to mention slugging a Bungle just for the hell of it!) I wish him nothing but the best.

LVSteelersfan
09-18-2007, 10:55 PM
Porter's big mouth during the Super Bowl week and his strutting around the 50 yard line pregame crap was a disgrace. Last year when he quit playing like a Steeler linebacker I was very happy to see him hit the road. Most Steeler players have class and he just gave opponents

jsteelers51191
09-24-2007, 08:22 PM
i just love how bad he is playin and readin how the dolphins wasted all that money on him.

83-Steelers-43
09-24-2007, 08:25 PM
"in miami"

ShutDown24
09-24-2007, 08:31 PM
That is because the system makes the player great... Don't get me wrong... Lloyd, Porter, Gildon, now Harrison are all very good players... (Especially Lloyd) but the system makes them great.

Steel Pit
09-24-2007, 08:45 PM
I said from the onset of the Porter release, F@#* Porter. Although many of you argued with me I now say this, :flipoff:

smaki21
09-24-2007, 08:47 PM
oh you guys should feel bad for him i hope he comes back to pittsburgh for his last year in the league and retires a steelers

jjpro11
09-24-2007, 09:13 PM
i still root for guys like porter, randle el, and kimo. porter has never badmouthed the steelers or the fans. he was upset at management, but never talked bad about a teammate or coach. he didnt leave on a bad note like burress did either.

he gave us a lot of memories while playing here. some werent always good, but who will forget him socking william green during pregame and green walked away bleeding? he's been the most hated steeler here in cleveland for years. i gotta love him for that.

ShutDown24
09-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Yeah I cheer for him as well, but what I said above about the system is true...

Randel El has been a beast this year. Receiving, running and returning.

Haiku_Dirtt
09-24-2007, 09:38 PM
That is because the system makes the player great... Don't get me wrong... Lloyd, Porter, Gildon, now Harrison are all very good players... (Especially Lloyd) but the system makes them great.

How many more decades does the system have to work before it's a foregone conclusion with the linebackers that were deployed in Three Rivers and Heinz Field.

Lloyd. :dang:

NJarhead
09-24-2007, 09:38 PM
I agree.

Say for example, if you'd put Brady in Cincinnati, you'd have a great quarterback that would most likely just end up in jail! :toofunny:

:toofunny:
:cheers:
That's hysterical.

But I still love JP.

stillers4me
09-24-2007, 10:36 PM
Anybody that slugs a Bengal just for the hell ot it is ok in my book.

Godfather
09-24-2007, 10:39 PM
I dn't wish him any ill will. He made a simple business decision to cash in. Can't blame him for that, especially since management felt he was replaceable.

83-Steelers-43
09-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Like I said, I wish the guy the best. As long as he doesn't talk trash against ownership or the former coaching staff (you know, the ones that got him a ring?), I have no problem. He chose money over staying here, that was his choice. He can live with it.......obviously.

Once again, good luck to him as long as it's not on November 26.

Damn cheap Rooney's.

JackHammer
09-24-2007, 11:20 PM
I'm only happy in the sense that it shows that the Steelers were right to let him go. Some people were mad, some thought it was gonna hurt the D. It didn't. Good job FO.

jjpro11
09-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Like I said, I wish the guy the best. As long as he doesn't talk trash against ownership or the former coaching staff (you know, the ones that got him a ring?), I have no problem. He chose money over staying here, that was his choice. He can live with it.......obviously.

Once again, good luck to him as long as it's not on November 26.

Damn cheap Rooney's.

technically, he never got the chance to resign.. but the writing was on the wall that he was going to cash in anywhere he could, especially with cowher leaving.

augustashark
09-25-2007, 12:59 AM
i just love how bad he is playin and readin how the dolphins wasted all that money on him.

I'm glad that it only took you 3 weeks to take a shot at one of the players that lead us to a SB in 05, well done sir.

NateC
09-25-2007, 02:40 AM
J Port, Was a Emotional And Physical Leader On D since 2000...

J Port Was AN Awesome LB, with Mad Heart.

Now he is Older and hurt his Knee.. But can retire Rich On South Beach..

THANKS AGAIN JOEY...
CLOSE THIS GARBAGE THREAD DOWN.... AS STEELER FANS WE DONT DISSRESPECT THOSE THAT BLEED FOR THE CAUSE

atlsteelers
09-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Joey may still have a lot left in the tank - remember he is returning from knee surgery much like last season. He did have a few nice games for us down the stretch last season. So once he is fully recovered he may still have a nice season in miami.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-25-2007, 08:32 AM
The only thing I love about it is that the Rooneys have proven once again....its the Organization that is successfull...not the individuals,

fansince'76
09-25-2007, 09:27 AM
Joey may still have a lot left in the tank - remember he is returning from knee surgery much like last season. He did have a few nice games for us down the stretch last season. So once he is fully recovered he may still have a nice season in miami.

Be that as it may, I'm glad it's the Dolphins' $20 mil (guaranteed) riding on that, and not the Steelers'.

rbryan
09-25-2007, 09:37 AM
This is a retread of the same thread from a week ago. Before everyone buries JP try to remember that its only week three and he comes here in Nov. At least wait till after then to throw dirt if you must throw it at all. That will probably be the best game he plays all year, even without any additional incentive.

HometownGal
09-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Say for example, if you'd put Brady in Cincinnati, you'd have a great quarterback that would most likely just end up in jail! :toofunny:

For videotaping the after-game showers in the Bungles locker room. :sofunny:

Edman
09-26-2007, 03:37 PM
I wish no ill-will on Peezy. He wanted money and the Steelers just couldn't pay him. I do want to serve a heaping plate of crow to all those who said we would regret releasing him. The D so far is as good as it has ever been. In fact, I think it's better.

Joey barked more than bit last year, disappeared in the big games, he's hit 30, and he's on a broken wheel. It further confirms my feelings that it was a good idea to let him go.

Elvis
09-30-2007, 04:07 PM
Joey Who?
:sofunny:
:tt02:

silver & black
09-30-2007, 07:26 PM
Well said, Shark & Nate!!

Seeing Joey in a Dolphins uniform is as painful as it was to see Greg Lloyd in a Panthers uniform!! :banging:

I bet it is. Kinda like seeing Marcus Allen in a Queefs uni... it just isn't right.

Livinginthe past
10-01-2007, 01:11 AM
I bet it is. Kinda like seeing Marcus Allen in a Queefs uni... it just isn't right.

Hey S&B,

Props on the win - looks like the Miami D has gone awol this year - Fargas had a big week.

Musta been extra sweet for daunte. :cheers:

silver & black
10-01-2007, 05:25 AM
Hey S&B,

Props on the win - looks like the Miami D has gone awol this year - Fargas had a big week.

Musta been extra sweet for daunte. :cheers:

Yeah, after all the WTF??? about McCown starting over C-Pep, it was nice to see the fans justified in their opinions ... at least for one game.

Whatever happens the rest of this season, the Raiders have shown much improvement over the last 4 years. Next stop... taking the division back!

Atlanta Dan
10-01-2007, 04:11 PM
This from Don Banks at SI.com

I'm guessing by now Joey Porter realizes he's not in Pittsburgh any more. The always loquacious Miami linebacker guaranteed a Dolphins win this week at home against Oakland, but it was Raiders receiver Jerry Porter who actually delivered, scoring the game's first touchdown on a 7-yard pass from Culpepper.

The Steelers' Porter got his money in free agency, and he loved all the attention and respect the Dolphins lavished on him back in March. But if you could get him to tell the truth, you know he'd rather still be winning in Pittsburgh.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/09/30/snap.judgments/2.html

SteelersMongol
10-01-2007, 08:57 PM
I love Joye, and I miss him.

skinart82
10-01-2007, 09:39 PM
I wish Joey would have just retired instead of going to Miami and not looking so good. At least he would have went down in history with all the great Steeler LB's

NateC
10-01-2007, 11:33 PM
When Peezy Come to Town Im Rooting for him im sorry. HE has shown nothing but class since leaving.

hope we returns a muffed snap or somthing for a td in a Steeler blowout Scoring Miami's Only Points.

THAT man was the Steeler D baby..

WHO RIDIN................ LETS RIDE>................

Its Fire.... ... its Just Plain Fire.
DIffernece is We had Talent to match the passion.. Miami is not there Talent wise or Peezy would be making things happen... he just had Knee Surgery for peat Sake.... next year he'll be stronger for them

Edman
10-07-2007, 03:16 PM
It didn't get better for Joey today.

Dolphins drop to 0-5. I think it's safe to say their season is already over.

Atlanta Dan
10-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Joey had his usual stats today since joining the Dolphins - 3 tackles (2 solo) and no sacks -

I am happy for Joey he got his big contract and happy for the Steelers they are not paying it.

steelforce95
10-07-2007, 07:27 PM
J Port, Was a Emotional And Physical Leader On D since 2000...

J Port Was AN Awesome LB, with Mad Heart.

Now he is Older and hurt his Knee.. But can retire Rich On South Beach..

THANKS AGAIN JOEY...
CLOSE THIS GARBAGE THREAD DOWN.... AS STEELER FANS WE DONT DISSRESPECT THOSE THAT BLEED FOR THE CAUSE

I will always wish Joey luck, he helped our team in so many ways. We loved him when he was here. It's easy to trash him since his team sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!