PDA

View Full Version : Steelers deja vu all over again

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-21-2007, 05:29 AM
Steelers deja vu all over again
Same formula for Pittsburgh
John Crumpacker, San Francisco Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Funny thing about the Pittsburgh Steelers: They change head coaches for only the second time in 38 years and they still look like the Pittsburgh Steelers.

They're 2-0, they run the ball well behind a stout offensive line and on defense, it's the Steel Curtain of the 21st century, having giving up 10 points in two games. It could be 1972 or 1992 as easily as it is 2007.

"You know you've got to come in there and hit and hit hard," 49ers defensive end Marques Douglas said. "I'm looking forward to it."

Willie Parker rushed for 235 yards as the Steelers easily beat Cleveland (34-7) and Buffalo (26-3). The equally 2-0 but far less impressive 49ers are next, Sunday at Heinz Field.

"We have a big challenge this week," 49ers coach Mike Nolan said. "Pittsburgh has been a very good team for a long time ... The coaching change, I don't know what to say other than they stayed on line."

Starting 2-0 has made it much easier for the players to believe in new head coach Mike Tomlin, a 35-year-old disciplinarian who took over a Pittsburgh team coming off an 8-8 season, one year removed from the Super Bowl championship.

"So far, guys are buying in," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "He's a great coach. A guy coming in his first year, expectations are going to be high. Coach Tomlin, he wants to do it his way. It's not coach (Bill) Cowher's team. It's not coach (Chuck) Noll's team. It's his team. The 53 guys he decided to keep are the 53 guys he liked. We like the makeup of our team."

There is much to like about the 53 players Tomlin decided to keep. Ben Roethlisberger is trying to be the Roethlisberger he was in 2005 and not the quarterback he was in 2006. Alan Faneca is one of the best left guards in the NFL on one of the league's top offensive lines. Heath Miller is a more than capable tight end.

Ward, undeniably the happiest player in the league, was the MVP of Super Bowl XL and is probably the best blocking wide receiver in the game. He plays the game with a smile on his face and has actually been seen laughing after getting belted on a reception.

"I don't know about happiest," Ward said, doubtlessly smiling through the conference call from Pittsburgh. "I really enjoy what I do. I enjoy getting hit. I enjoy catching the ball and scoring touchdowns. I can't imagine any place I'd rather be. I enjoy every Sunday getting a chance to go up against the best of the best. It's a blessing."

Watching cornerback Nate Clements oppose Ward on pass routes should be one of the game-within-the-game highlights Sunday. Clements is off to a great start with his new team after putting the clamps on Arizona's Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald and St. Louis' Torry Holt.

"He's a great corner," Ward said. "He's a great tackler. He's very physical. He's one of the best corners in the league. They're not paying him all that money for nothing."

As for the Steelers defensively, the 49ers will be quick to realize these are not the Arizona Cardinals or the St. Louis Rams.

Casey Hampton is a floor safe with legs at nose tackle. Three of the four linebackers are known quantities in Clark Haggans, James Farrior and Larry Foote. And Troy Polamalu is the best strong safety in the league.

Center Eric Heitmann will get to know Hampton well, banging heads with the squat 325-pounder over the course of four quarters.

"He can't be moved," Tomlin said. "Casey Hampton is a heck of a player. He's very stout. At the same time, he's very quick. His athleticism is probably underrated."

Put this team on its home field at still-new-ish Heinz in front of fans who know their football and love their Steelers and it adds up to the 49ers' most difficult road trip of the season.

"We hope it's an advantage for us and it usually is," Ward said.

The 49ers have not played Pittsburgh since 2003, when they defeated the Steelers 30-14 at Candlestick.

Listen up for more 49ers and Raiders buzz at sfgate.com/podcasts.

E-mail John Crumpacker at jcrumpacker@sfchronicle.com.

This article appeared on page D - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle

Galax Steeler
09-21-2007, 05:51 AM
Sounds like this is going to be a good game casey hampton is a beast I can't wait to see the game.

RJC
09-21-2007, 07:46 AM
Ben is going to have to be extremely careful with his decisions and ball placement. That secondary is no joke!

SCSTILLER
09-21-2007, 07:57 AM
One player we have to worry about is Frank Gore. He is a heckuva tail back and has a nice balance of speed and power. He may not get 100 yards on this defense but is capable of putting up two scores on us. That won't be a problem though as I see the Steelers putting up some good numbers.

DACEB
09-21-2007, 08:52 AM
coach Mike Tomlin, a 35-year-old disciplinarian

That's one I don't believe we've heard, but I suppose he is a disciplinarian. Tomlin has had the team on track so far, I expect much of the same this Sunday.

We'll see how things play out over the course of the season, but it does'nt seem like Tomlin will let the team get overconfident and lose a game they should win. I also don't believe we will see a repeat of some of the games last year where things got out of hand, (turnovers, or FWP getting shutdown) adjustments will be made.

This team seems to be in a totally different place mentally.

GBMelBlount
09-21-2007, 08:54 AM
Steelers deja vu all over again
Same formula for Pittsburgh
John Crumpacker, San Francisco Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Funny thing about the Pittsburgh Steelers: They change head coaches for only the second time in 38 years and they still look like the Pittsburgh Steelers......

Starting 2-0 has made it much easier for the players to believe in new head coach Mike Tomlin, a 35-year-old disciplinarian who took over a Pittsburgh team coming off an 8-8 season, one year removed from the Super Bowl championship.

"So far, guys are buying in," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "He's a great coach. A guy coming in his first year, expectations are going to be high. Coach Tomlin, he wants to do it his way. It's not coach (Bill) Cowher's team. It's not coach (Chuck) Noll's team. It's his team. The 53 guys he decided to keep are the 53 guys he liked. We like the makeup of our team."

What I like about Tomlin is he is very intellegent, pays attention to detail and is big on preparation. BUT he is not a control freak/micro manager. He is smart enough to allow Ben & the coaches to do their thing. Add his composure which is beyond his years, and the obvious respect he has earned from his coaches and team. I really like this guy so far....

DACEB
09-21-2007, 09:00 AM
Ben is going to have to be extremely careful with his decisions and ball placement. That secondary is no joke!

Agreed, If Ben is careful with the ball should be pretty much the same results as the past 2 weeks.

TommyG
09-21-2007, 09:39 AM
What I like about Tomlin is he is very intellegent, pays attention to detail and is big on preparation. BUT he is not a control freak/micro manager. He is smart enough to allow Ben & the coaches to do their thing. Add his composure which is beyond his years, and the obvious respect he has earned from his coaches and team. I really like this guy so far....

I agree....I was a little worried when he first came in how he would mesh with the hold over coaches....But he has let LeBeau do his thing...He was not afraid to add to what LeBeau is doing but appreciate that this is freaking Dick LeBeau.....I think we have a real shot at winning the division and who knows, even a couple playoffs games....

TackleMeBen
09-21-2007, 11:07 AM
we need to rattle alex smith and get to him early and ben needs to make sure to throw it to the guys in the black jerseys, not the white one..lol..

klick81
09-21-2007, 11:57 AM
"I enjoy getting hit". That's hilarious.

83-Steelers-43
09-21-2007, 12:05 PM

I agree. Although over the last two games he has been pretty smart with the ball when it comes to pressure. Doing something that he did not do last season......throwing it away instead of forcing it.

While I'm not as comfortable with this game as I was the Browns or Bills game, I still feel we will come out on top when all is said and done. Shut down Gore, pressure Smith.

BurghZ0n3
09-21-2007, 03:11 PM
it's gonna be @ HEINZ...not @ CANDLE STICK....and our QB RIppers don't need CANDLE to STICK down Smith .... & Gore!!! :banging::banging::banging: BLACK & GOLD RULE!!!

SteelerFanVA
09-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Awesome article!

Edman
09-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Another test in a long line of tests for Big Ben.This game will be further evidence of how Ben has matured and improved as a QB. The Niner D is nothing to sneeze at. It's up to Ben to play smart and patient. The WR's need to step up their game too. Don't forget Heath either.

Another Test for the O-Line as well.

The D has to stop Frank Gore and force Alex Smith to beat them.

Special Teams...what else? Play good special teams.

MasterOfPuppets
09-21-2007, 07:41 PM
Another test in a long line of tests for Big Ben.This game will be further evidence of how Ben has matured and improved as a QB. The Niner D is nothing to sneeze at. It's up to Ben to play smart and patient. The WR's need to step up their game too. Don't forget Heath either.

Another Test for the O-Line as well.

The D has to stop Frank Gore and force Alex Smith to beat them.

Special Teams...what else? Play good special teams.
we had a small meltdown on kick coverage last week....i hope its fixed by sunday !!! :dang:

stillers4me
09-21-2007, 08:51 PM
Ben can handle it....he's been in much bigger games than this. (I'm starting to actually breath normally when the ball leaves his hands.)

That's one of the great things about how Ben's career has gone......he's played and won playoff games and won a championship. Not many quarterbacks he will come up against has this kind of experience. Not even that elite QB in Cinci. :flap:

alittlejazzbird
09-21-2007, 09:02 PM
"I enjoy getting hit". That's hilarious.

That's why Hines is my favorite Steeler....every time he gets hit, he jumps up smiling with a look like "is that the best you can do?"

steelpride12
09-21-2007, 10:42 PM
Not to sound all confiedent and shit, but my opinion is we win this game BIG. I Mean we will stack the line every down and they have not seen a good defense this season yet. Gore and Smith won't know what hit them. We will cause turnovers as a result of the pressure and it will be a domination game by us no doubt. Steelers-24 49ers-7