PDA

View Full Version : Faneca

bratsinmybelly
09-23-2007, 12:19 AM
I just want to say "Kudos to you Alan Faneca". In a season that some might consider a write off, this guy is playing with the emotion of a player intent on retiring with this team. I've seen him doing everything from patting Willie on the helmet to hoisting Ben up after a nice throw against the doo-doo's. Not to mention a few plays that show why he is THE best OL in this game today.

Now, I know he had some words to say about the coaching decisions and not signing him pre-season, but to his credit, He is playing like a man possessed, not like a man who is dis-gruntled. This is the first scenario that I can remember in which there is no reason not to re-sign a guy from a player standpoint, it's just about money. He's not too old, he's not been bitten by the injury bug, he doesn't complain (except about money) and he seems to have played the hand that's been dealt to him with great poise and pride. Is there really no way we re-sign him? If not, what does this say about our past exploits vs. the cap? The cap is a thing put into place to help teams like us. Is there no way around losing this guy? I think back to the last couple of years of the Maddox era and wonder........Is he the reason why we can't re-sign Faneca? Boy I hope not. I can only hope that the Rooneys pull yet another rabbit out of the proverbial hat and make a miracle happen.

Fire Tomlin
09-23-2007, 12:39 AM
He's playing for what he's being paid to do. Faneca proved himself to be a whiney b'tch who doesn't do well in the arena of change. Now he probably sees this team is far better than he could have imagined considering the magnitude of the change and is probable regretting how he handled himself when he chose to spit on Rooney.

bratsinmybelly
09-23-2007, 12:51 AM
I would say that he isn't the first player that we've had that said some regrettable things during a contract negotiation/dispute (Hines). I simply take note of his actions on the field. Lots of players are "doing what they get paid to do" but not many are doing it at the same level. I just can't help but notice his instinctive ability to play this game. Between games he may be flawed but hit the lights and this guy's a pure gamer. I just wish there could be a better turnout than the seemingly inevitable. Maybe I'm nuts, I just hate to see us lose another elite player at the hands of the salary cap.

Michael Keller
09-23-2007, 03:33 AM
If the Steelers designate Faneca as a Franchise player must he not remain with the team? Isn't this a possible scenario.

Michael

Haiku_Dirtt
09-23-2007, 04:11 AM
He's playing for what he's being paid to do. Faneca proved himself to be a whiney b'tch who doesn't do well in the arena of change. Now he probably sees this team is far better than he could have imagined considering the magnitude of the change and is probable regretting how he handled himself when he chose to spit on Rooney.

"Fire Tomlin" meaning WHAT exactly? You surely don't mean that we need a new head coach already...

When caustic and irresponsible rethoric is pinned on a guy who is 2-0 at his age in the NFL...

Hmmm. Why won't I finish a thought? Token reaction not worthy of a response. Get lost.

Haiku_Dirtt
09-23-2007, 05:55 AM
So what's the easy answer? There isn't one.

Folks we are talking about Steve Hutchinson MONEY. No matter how you do the math it comes to no less than $30 million or $10mil per year. That's 30,000,000.00 plus and how much gauranteed?

:idea: Let's rebuild. A player like Joe Thomas is a winner. Sam Baker out of SC is becoming Best In Show. That kind of investment is where the smart money is...and Alan should take the best deal Dan Schneider has to offer.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-23-2007, 06:37 AM
So what's the easy answer? There isn't one.

Folks we are talking about Steve Hutchinson MONEY. No matter how you do the math it comes to no less than $30 million or $10mil per year. That's 30,000,000.00 plus and how much gauranteed?

:idea: Let's rebuild. A player like Joe Thomas is a winner. Sam Baker out of SC is becoming Best In Show. That kind of investment is where the smart money is...and Alan should take the best deal Dan Schneider has to offer.

LOL...well said!!!
I think we have some flexibility on the line...I have often thought that if Faneca went down or held out, Colon is athletic enough (with a mean streak) and could potentially play left guard.
That being said...in our next draft we could potentially grab the best tackle or guard available at the #32 spot in the first round. (hehehe....I know, I need to curb the enthusiasm)

Galax Steeler
09-23-2007, 08:23 AM
I don't think we could afford to keep faneca I also think it is time to rebuild at that position.

Preacher
09-23-2007, 10:46 AM
Faneca is playing well at times. However, I have also seen him blow assignments and miss blocks. So I wouldn't crown him a deity yet.

However, he is playing pretty good, but not good enough to sign a 30 plus year old player to a massive contract that ties our hands for the next few years.

If he is willing to sign for a REASONABLE amount.... then we will bring him back. If not, then goodbye.

Elvis
09-23-2007, 11:05 AM
Great thread preacher.. I agree 100% about whateveryone is saying about "he should play like it is his last year in Pittsburgh" because if he wants the $30 Million garentee... then he can go to Washington or Arizona and maybe get that, because the AFC is too smart to give someone 30+ years old that kind of $$$. The Steelers org. will make the right decision and I am confident in that..
:tt02:

Atlanta Dan
09-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Faneca has been quiet since he popped off about the rotating O-line assignments in pre-season, but (as Hines said the other day with regard to the group meetings of the offense with Arians) how can you complain about anything when you have won your first two games by an aggregate score of 60-10?

Although Faneca simply may have decided to be a professional and do what he is paid to do before leaving after this year, IMO he will be bi***ing to the media again if the season goes sour in November and December. Not that he cares, but his trash talk last May and statement he would not be a captain because of his contract situation removed any illusion he gives a damn about anyone other than himself.

Faneca is still a good player (but as Preacher noted is in decline), but his asking price does not fit the Steelers' cap space.

stillers4me
09-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Exactly. There were people that thought the sky had fallen and landed with a big thud when they let Joey go.

Trust in the Rooneys.

Steeler in Carolina
09-23-2007, 04:28 PM
I can't see Faneca being resigned. Too much money for one player.

Haiku_Dirtt
09-23-2007, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=Atlanta Dan;298049] because of his contract situation removed any illusion he gives a damn about anyone other than himself. QUOTE]

And who should know better than anyone? How long has he played for the Rooney's?

Amnesia is the only credible reason why Alan forgets about Kevin Greene and Kirkland and Lloyd and St. Pierre (:toofunny:) and oh yeah... Joey Porter. I know I'm forgetting many others.

NV STEELERS 723
09-23-2007, 07:13 PM
I would like for Faneca to retire a STEELER but that don't happen in todays world...its not the 70's anymore...

I wonder if we won the Super Bowl this year if Alan would take a pay cut to stay??????

Atlanta Dan
09-23-2007, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE=Atlanta Dan;298049] because of his contract situation removed any illusion he gives a damn about anyone other than himself. QUOTE]

And who should know better than anyone? How long has he played for the Rooney's?

Amnesia is the only credible reason why Alan forgets about Kevin Greene and Kirkland and Lloyd and St. Pierre (:toofunny:) and oh yeah... Joey Porter. I know I'm forgetting many others.

Please walk me through which of those players should have been signed up for another contract at the price they were seeking - it's a business

Show me a team that signs up past their prime players for top of the market contract and I will show you a team in salary cap hell - the Rooneys (like every other owner) owe him zip and Faneca claiming anything to the contrary is nonsense and he knows it

Atlanta Dan
09-23-2007, 08:36 PM
I would like for Faneca to retire a STEELER but that don't happen in todays world...its not the 70's anymore...

I wonder if we won the Super Bowl this year if Alan would take a pay cut to stay??????

About as likely as OJ finding the real killer

stillers4me
09-23-2007, 08:41 PM
About as likely as OJ finding the real killer

Or the real burglers.

TackleMeBen
09-23-2007, 08:42 PM
this is like being a http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/horse.gif

stillers4me
09-23-2007, 08:43 PM

I sincerely hope that Faneca gets one more ring before the door hits him in the ass. :thumbsup:

rich4eagle
09-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Faneca appears to be fully engaged and I am sure the Steelers and he will reach an agreement.....of course unless he wants overpaid vastly like most athletes do......in which case they need to let him go............

my guess he eats humble pie or goes and gets replaced NO BIGGIE

lilyoder6
09-23-2007, 09:51 PM
i think he's goin gto realize how this is a great team and he'll want to retire as a steeler

Haiku_Dirtt
09-23-2007, 10:01 PM
i think he's goin gto realize how this is a great team and he'll want to retire as a steeler

He needs to retire very rich and that won't happen with the B&G unfortunately. Who can fault him?

Godfather
09-23-2007, 10:12 PM
[QUOTE=NV STEELERS 723;298652
I wonder if we won the Super Bowl this year if Alan would take a pay cut to stay??????[/QUOTE]

That would make it even less likely. He'd have two rings so there would be no reason to play for that. At that point you just want to cash in while you can and that means going free agent.

It's a business decision on both sides. Faneca wants the money, the Steelers want the cap room for Ben.

Big D
09-24-2007, 11:23 AM
If the Steelers designate Faneca as a Franchise player must he not remain with the team? Isn't this a possible scenario.

Michael

it's very possible. But the problem with making a move like this is you take a huge hit on the cap. I believe when you franchise a player the player gets the average of the top 3 players at his position. And I think Faneca would stir up the locker room if such a move was made. I think it's best if we let faneca walk

fansince'76
09-24-2007, 11:27 AM
He needs to retire very rich and that won't happen with the B&G unfortunately. Who can fault him?

The Steelers made him the highest paid guard in the league at the time of his last contract signing. I'm not going to blame the Rooneys for not breaking the bank to keep him in the current atmosphere in the NFL that is seeing scrub O-linemen getting $50 mil+ contracts. However, I'm also not going to blame Faneca for chasing huge $ elsewhere. I will also not feel sympathy for him when he more than likely lands with a club that wins 4-6 games every year either.

Michael Keller
09-24-2007, 01:00 PM
it's very possible. But the problem with making a move like this is you take a huge hit on the cap. I believe when you franchise a player the player gets the average of the top 3 players at his position. And I think Faneca would stir up the locker room if such a move was made. I think it's best if we let faneca walk

Big D

You believe he would stir up the locker room because he will be FORCED to stay and that will not go down very well with Faneca. That is a good point.

Well the Steeler management and in particular this year's coaching staff certainly
have proven to me they exercise good judgement. I rest on their decsion and enjoy what promises to be a good season.

Thanks Bid D

Atlanta Dan
09-24-2007, 01:10 PM

I agree Faeca would potentially go ballistic if he was franchised (although he should thank the NFLPA for not dumping that clause from the CBA rather than just blame mgmt. for facing that possibiity) and it would stir up other vets who recognize it is a business decision who gets re-signed but presumably expect they should be allowed to get their long-term contrcat somewhere else if the Steelers will not pay up.

Faneca is entitled to the his $$$ elsewhere but if he dose not like being forced to play out a long contract then he should have signed a shorter contract last time.