PDA

View Full Version : Niner fans blame the refs.

Edman
09-23-2007, 09:07 PM
I respect and give props to the 49ers on a fine effort against the Steelers today. They played them tougher than the Bills and Clowns. But the moment you bring up the refs for reasons why you lost, that respect goes flying straight out the window.

"Typical"? F that. If I were angrier, I'd say F the Niners.

http://forums.49ers.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=34520

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
09-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Yeah they are whining in the papers also

Strange ruling mystifies 49ers in loss
By Dennis Georgatos

PITTSBURGH - Coach Mike Nolan won a replay challenge overturning a fumble by tight end Vernon Davis, but the puzzling ruling that came out of it proved damaging for the 49ers in a 37-16 loss Sunday at Pittsburgh.

Davis latched on to the 22-yard pass from Alex Smith an instant before being upended at the Pittsburgh 10-yard line by safety Troy Polamalu, losing the ball after crashing head-first into the ground.

Initially, officials ruled it was Pittsburgh's ball at the 47-yard line after safety Ryan Clark recovered the ball and took it 43 yards the other way. Following the review, the third-down throw to Davis was determined to be an incomplete pass.

In a statement to a pool reporter after the game, referee Gerald Austin said that Davis had not gotten both feet clearly on the ground before being turned over, hitting the ground and losing the ball.

Instead of first-and-goal at the 10 with a chance to pull within four points of the Steelers with a touchdown, the 49ers (2-1) were left with fourth-and-13 at the 32. Joe Nedney came on to kick a 49-yard field goal to make it 17-9 with 4:46 left in the third quarter but the Steelers (3-0) regained the momentum, outscoring the 49ers 20-7 the rest of the way to hand them their first loss of the season.

"It was a big change in the game," said Nolan, who joked bitterly that he had offered his prescription sun glasses to an official after hearing his interpretation. "I thought it was a clear catch-and-down (by contact) but you can't use that as an excuse."

Davis, who suffered a right knee sprain on Polamalu's hit and did not return, was even more emphatic than his coach. Both his shoulder and his elbow hit the ground before the ball came out.

"It should have been a catch. I was stunned," Davis said. " That was a big turning point because we were coming on. We were attacking those guys. We were throwing the ball, running. We were doing well."

Austin said Davis got only one foot down and the toe of his other foot just glanced off the turf before being hit and crashing to the turf.

"You have to be clearly down, and if he goes to the ground, he has to maintain control of the ball," Austin said. "That is the rule of the process of the game, two feet clearly down and if he goes to the ground, he has to hold it."

Pittsburgh Coach Mike Tomlin said the officials' ruling was no surprise.

"When you don't establish possession as a receiver, you have to maintain possession of the ball through contact with the ground," Tomlin said. "He caught it, he got hit, the ball hit the ground, banged out, incomplete pass. Hats off to the officials. They're right as usual."

Not much went right for the 49ers after that.

Ben Roesthlisberger slipped a couple of sacks to keep a drive alive, leading to a 49-yard field goal that started the Steelers' 20-7 fourth-quarter run.

With Frank Gore bottled up - he was held to 39 yards by a Pittsburgh defense that didn't allow a 100-yard rusher for a 28th straight game - and down by 14 points with time running low, the 49ers began putting the ball up.

Smith's first interception of the season followed. Thinking Taylor Jacobs was breaking out, Smith put a pass right into Bryant McFadden's arms, and the Steelers defensive back returned it 50 yards for a touchdown.

The 49ers quarterback, who threw for a season-high 209 yards while completing 17 of 35 throws, went back to Jacobs for a 21-yard scoring pass - his first touchdown pass of the year.

But the Steelers got another score late on Najeh Davenport's 39-yard touchdown run.

The 49ers, foiled in their bid for their first 3-0 start since 1998, actually scored first. Davis turned a short pass from Smith into a 31-yard gain to the Steelers' 14. But two passes to Davis into the end zone fell incomplete, and the 49ers settled for Nedney's 32-yard field goal.

"The pressure was coming," Davis said. "Alex had to let it go and he couldn't land them the way he would normally."

Allen Rossum returned the ensuing kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown, breaking up the middle, eluding a diving tackle by one defender at about the 30 and shooting past Nedney and into the clear. No 49er laid a hand on Rossum in the first kickoff return for a touchdown against San Francisco since Dallas' Woody Danzler went 84 yards on Dec. 8, 2002.

The defense, playing without linebacker Manny Lawson after the linebacker suffered a season-ending knee injury Wednesday in practice, gave the offense another scoring opportunity. Lawson's replacement, Hannibal Navies, broke through to sack Roethlisberger and force a fumble that he recovered at the Pittsburgh 22.

But the 49ers made little headway and Nedney kicked a 22-yard field goal to pull to 7-6.

"We've got to capitalize more," Gore said. "Three points is good but seven is better. Our offense just has to come together. We're not together right now. The defense is doing everything they can out there and we're not matching them at all."

http://www.insidebayarea.com/49ers/ci_6978899

stillers4me
09-23-2007, 09:16 PM
waaaaaaaaaaaa............

Several calls went against us. The refs suck. They shall now be known as Beli-Refs.

TroysBadDawg
09-23-2007, 09:38 PM
I believe most of the NFL refs suck sewer water. They are weekend refs who are not responsible to anybody but themselves, it appears. They constantly make horrendous calls, and nothing is done but the excuse is made they are human. But most of these calls go one sided. The get them larger televisions for the instant replays but still limit the time they are allowed to look at the replay. But they still have television timeouts to make money, but not to try to correct bad calls. Why is it, the fans can see them, the announcers can see them and replay them on television but the refs can not see them. I guess they wear special glasses, similar to my kids hearing, selective, very selective, when you want them to do something. In the refs case, when you want them to see something properly, that the rest of the world can see.

polamalufan43
09-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Somebody call the Wha-ambulance :injured:, ref haters and blamers in San Fran, on the double :shout:

~PF43:tt02:

Edman
09-23-2007, 09:48 PM
Terrible calls happen all the time. But this time, I think it's magnified thanks to the Seachicken's insessive whining after XL. Now, everyone wants to blame the refs when they lose. Instead of just realizing that bad calls will happen, and you have to keep playing.

Do you realize how many apologies Bill Cowher recieved from the refs back in the 90's from blown calls? Please, do NOT act like this is something new.

polamalufan43
09-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Do you realize how many apologies Bill Cowher recieved from the refs back in the 90's and from blown calls? Please, do NOT act like this is something new.

Well, I dont think were treating it like something new really.
I personally am just dumbfounded at the fact that it has been going on for so long and the teams that have lost cannot accept that they did. I figure if it's been going on for that long, teams should get over it. Unless the refs make a formal apology like in the Colts/Steelers playoff game. Of course, the teams are going to blame the refs cause they can't think of a better excuse...

Indy_Steelers
09-23-2007, 09:58 PM
The refs are not the problem. We gave them the ball inside our own 25 and they could not score a TD. That was not the refs fault.

fansince'76
09-23-2007, 09:59 PM
Another team that got their asses whipped and they can't handle it. Go figure. :coffee:

polamalufan43
09-23-2007, 09:59 PM
The refs are not the problem. We gave them the ball inside our own 25 and they could not score a TD. That was not the refs fault.

Ding Ding Ding....we have a winnner. :cheer:

Today, we won, and were blaming the refs.
I mean come on, be unfair to us! Letting us get a TD when it was clearly out-of-bounds? Ref, how did u not catch that? Gosh, oh, and that play were you called the Db's catch an INT and not a incomplete pass, total garbage.

Yeah, oh well, if they want to whine, they whine. Yes, it annoys the crap outta me, lol.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

SteelersMongol
09-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Can anyone please post that clip from the game highlights on the Fourty Whiners web or something, please.

ShutDown24
09-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Who cares, Seattle fans (And organization) did the same thing and we still got our 5th ring right?

stlrtruck
09-23-2007, 10:25 PM
Somebody call the Wha-ambulance :injured:, ref haters and blamers in San Fran, on the double :shout:

Hey remember, they play in the same division as the Seahags so maybe some of that whine got into their locker room?

RoethlisBURGHer
09-23-2007, 10:36 PM
If anything, we got screwed on the one play...Clark should have had an INT or fumble recovery on that play.

tony hipchest
09-23-2007, 10:36 PM
i dont see any 9er fans or media whining or crying.

the refs simply ****ed up a call. the refs made a mistake on the call, and theres nothing wrong with pointing that one out. vernon davis was eating up the steelers all day, however the steelers were whipping their ass all day. no single call was gonna change the outcome. nothing wrong with pointing out a call that was almost as obvious as polomalu intercepting manning in the playoffs 2 years ago.

tony hipchest
09-23-2007, 10:38 PM
If anything, we got screwed on the one play...Clark should have had an INT or fumble recovery on that play.the steelers didnt get screwed. theyre lucky it wasnt ruled a catch and the ground causing the fumble. if that wasnt a catch i dont know what is.

its obvious the refs dont know what a catch is either.

SteelCityMan786
09-23-2007, 11:01 PM
waaaaaaaaaaaa............

Several calls went against us. The refs suck. They shall now be known as Beli-Refs.

I may get jacked on how the refs do there job in games, but I get over it eventually. Something I'd tell the 49ers to do. That call they're BSing over went in their favor. If we get the ball they probably would have lost 44-13 not 37-16.

Petesburgh66
09-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Can anyone please post that clip from the game highlights on the Fourty Whiners web or something, please.

Click on the video. Play is shown there as few times as well as homer play by play call on it.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap?game_id=29234&displayPage=tab_recap&season=2007&week=REG3

stlrtruck
09-23-2007, 11:42 PM
You know watching that replay it looks to me that the ball is coming out before his head hits and therefore is a live ball and should have been ruled an INT but hey - as it's been previously stated, it was another good game!

And actually on some of the posts from the 49ers fans, they were even saying that it wasn't the refs fault for the game but their offense's on ineptitude in the red zone!

SteelerManiacXLII
09-24-2007, 12:14 AM
Blaming the refs for inadequate QB play is pathetic. The fourty-whinners just lost all my respect.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
09-24-2007, 01:01 AM
Coach Nolan's thoughts on "the play"

"That call didn't cost us the game," Nolan said. "Excuses make it OK to lose. We lost today, and it wasn't OK. You get some [calls] and you lose some."

Finally someone with common sense.... :cheers:

stillers4me
09-24-2007, 06:26 AM
Today, we won, and were blaming the refs.

I was being sarcastic.

Everybody at the bar we were at was commenting on the bad calls against us and then I read on the niners board about them blaming the refs and how all the calls were for us. Thought it was funny.

silver & black
09-24-2007, 07:47 AM
Terrible calls happen all the time. But this time, I think it's magnified thanks to the Seachicken's insessive whining after XL. Now, everyone wants to blame the refs when they lose. Instead of just realizing that bad calls will happen, and you have to keep playing.

Do you realize how many apologies Bill Cowher recieved from the refs back in the 90's from blown calls? Please, do NOT act like this is something new.

Nothing new about it... the Raiders get an apology every week from the NFL.

If any team has a right to bitch about the refs, its the Raiders. There has been no team more affected by crappy calls and phantom rules over the years, than the Raiders. I have no sympathy for ANYONE that bitches about the refs.

You would think that the NFL would like to clean this dirty little mess up... apparently they just don't care.

You can bet that the time out / freezing the kicker rule will be changed at the end of the season... now that the Raiders used it to win a game. Raider rule #...............??? will be in the book.

TackleMeBen
09-24-2007, 08:13 AM
on the 49ers board, they are whining about the refs giving the steelers all the calls..
http://forums.49ers.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=34520

and here is another thread on the 49ers board i thought was very interesting to us steeler fans. this one is about our qb
http://forums.49ers.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=34588

X-Terminator
09-24-2007, 08:37 AM
You know, I am SO sick and tired of opposing fans whining about refs whenever their team gets spanked. I mean, their team lost 37-16!!! What would that play have done other than give them a chance at a TD? Is it a guarantee that they would have scored a TD in that situation? NO. They were inside the 15 twice yesterday - one courtesy of a Roethlisberger fumble - and came away with only 6 points. Blame your inept as hell offense if you want a big reason why your team got their asses kicked. NOT THE REFS!!!!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - America has become a nation of whiners and crybabies.

fansince'76
09-24-2007, 08:54 AM
I've gotta agree with Tony on this one. Did anyone even bother reading the Niners forum before beginning to complain about them being a bunch of whiners? One or two guys seemed to be whining about the officials but were put in their place quickly by other members.
Here's a few quotes from their board;

"The execution on offense is our problem, not the officials. To whine and cry about the officials is a cheap way to dodge the real issues that are affecting this team."

"Wow now its blame the ref game? Our inept offense lost this game."

The officials calls are non-issues in this game. We have to create the wins, and today we're not doing that for a variety of reasons -- namely, the lack of offensive power.

"We were one of the luckiest 2-0 teams going into Week 3. Today, we finally got exposed by a strong defensive unit, and until the offense starts to play better, we'll continue to struggle."

"The refs didnt cost us the game, WE DID! The run game is the culprit, along with our red-zone offense."

"Exactly! But hey, if people want to whine and cry about the officiating as a way to try and blame others, I guess that's their choice. I'd just rather look to the root of the issue as the REAL reason we lost, and that's the fact our offense... well... it just sucks a lot right now. Some serious work needs to be done to reach the potential we have."

"There are blown calls every game because like it or not refs miss them.

I dont know how old some of these guys and gals who are posting are but back in the late 80s and most of the 90s the Niners got a lot of calls in their favor

Pittsburg is a solid team - and the Niners have to improve - but then again Pittsburgh was a SB champ 2 years ago and the Niners where what 2-14?
These teams are on different levels - now we know what it takes to be a playoff contender instead of a pretender"

Let's not get down on the 49ers fans because there are a couple who want to complain about the refs.

Sorry Lloyd, but they're doing PLENTY of squawking about the refs, but of course, they're in the same division of the masters of bitching about refs:

Yea I honestly if they called that right we would have scored a TD and not a field goal giving us a 17-13 game not a 17-9 game and I bet that would have changed the game and put more pressure on PITTS. Not saying we would have won but I think the game would have went another way.

The Refs had a horrible game. I wish we had another shot at pittsburgh.

The VD call was horrible.

The non-call on Ben Rothlisburger's intentional grounding was b.s.

The worst call of the game was Clements PI call.

Poor officiating the whole game... sadly they all went against the niners... and I'm not being a homer

right these plays were big reasons for momentum change.more chances on offense. and to score 7 instead of 3. field position. ive never seen such a clearer catch get overturned by a call that wasnt even considered. INCOMPLETION. he didnt drop the ball and it never touched tha ground. but ****** happens thats why life stinks!!!

We can't prove that the blown call by the refs on VD's catch would lead to a TD, but it could have. And, that could have kept us in the game a little longer.

That Vernon Davis call is absolute crap. Any football fan knows that was a catch then down by contact. Also, on their kick return for a TD, M Rob was blocked clearly in the back right in the open next to the play. Oh well guess sour grapes but at least we don't have to defend any of our SB victories like their Seattle one.

Let's not forget the fact that Roethelisberger threw the ball away when he was still in the pocket. No flags on that one either.

Listen I normally NEVER blame the ref's, ever, but in this game it was ridiculous, If you can honestly sit there and tell me that the VD catch was NOT a catch, then you need to be banned for stupidity. I mean I am still mad about that, I would have rather they called it an INT instead of a call that makes no sense period.

Of course the call on Nate Clements was so dumb, it was obvious the ref's need to be fired ASAP.

Or maybe the No call on Intentional Grounding.

Did Pitt even have a penalty called against them?

the refs boned us bigtime

not to make any excuse but if the ref didn't blow that call we might of scored and be able to be one score down. THat might of change how we would of went on the 4 min drive where smith threw that pick. If we scored on that drive i'm sure we would of ran the ball on that drive and things might of been different.

Again Lloyd, sorry, but there are plenty of sour grapes on that menu. Gotta love the ones in particular that begin "I never complain about the refs....," or "I'm not into making excuses....," and then they proceed to do EXACTLY that. However, let them squawk - we're still 3-0 today. :coffee:

X-Terminator
09-24-2007, 09:08 AM
I love that that many of them start their whine-fests with "not to make any excuse," or "I never blame the refs," then of course proceed to whine about the refs. But this one is my personal favorite:

Poor officiating the whole game... sadly they all went against the niners... and I'm not being a homer

Wait, this guy says that all the calls went against the Niners, but then has the gall to say that he's not being a homer??? :wtf: Must be something in the water in the bay out there :dang:

49er fans, your team was exposed, and your team lost. Accept it, and move on.

Jman
09-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Cry me a river...It should have been down...but it didn't decide the game. Sorry niner fans.

Additionally, if you go to NFL network and check it out, it IS a legit call.

bigmaq
09-25-2007, 08:04 PM
I must confess as a long time "yinzer", I think the Niners fans are absolutely correct. If one reviews every play of the game in a detached manner, you will see that the poor officiating definitely swung the game from the W column to the L column for San Francisco. By extrapolating what would have happened had the calls had been made correctly and gone the other way I have recalculated the score. First the Steelers likely would not have scored any points. I am still awaiting word from the league to my query whether the Steelers should receive negative points. At the same time San Francisco would have score somewhere between 77 and 93 points. Therefore, subject to the league's response to my query the score should be something in the range of San Francisco 77-93 and Pittsburgh -27 to 0. Now could someone please tell my brother how to get his bookie to accept this recalculation and pay up - he took the Niners and the points?

For the record, I also recalculated the SB score as well and I am still adding up Seattle's virtual touchdowns while sipping a latte at Starbuck's. It seems they might just top 200 points scored - certainly a new SB record - with those basketball numbers - they might find it soothing when the Sonics are moved to Oklahoma City by the new owners.

83-Steelers-43
09-25-2007, 08:44 PM
BOTTOMLINE.................

http://www.jewlicious.com/wp-content/kleenex.jpg

YOU GOT BEAT, DEAL WITH IT.

NJarhead
09-25-2007, 09:07 PM
I'm beginning to think this is a west coast thing (or at least an NFC West thing). A Cards fan already mentioned the refs for the upcoming game. Personally, I think it's pathetic. Like Cowher used to say, It's up to us not to get oursleves into that position.
Ref Whiners..., I can't stand 'em.

Stlrs4Life
09-25-2007, 10:33 PM
OK, it's a catch, then it was a fumble really then, Steelers ball on the 47 yard line.

rbryan
09-26-2007, 11:09 AM
The rules are plain as day on this one. If you hit the ground before making a football move and do not hang on to the ball, it's not a catch. Getting crushed by Troy the instant you catch the ball is not a football move. lol

The fact that the ball did not hit the ground and was picked off by Clark is the bad call here.

rog
09-26-2007, 11:17 AM
I must confess as a long time "yinzer", I think the Niners fans are absolutely correct. If one reviews every play of the game in a detached manner, you will see that the poor officiating definitely swung the game from the W column to the L column for San Francisco. By extrapolating what would have happened had the calls had been made correctly and gone the other way I have recalculated the score. First the Steelers likely would not have scored any points. I am still awaiting word from the league to my query whether the Steelers should receive negative points. At the same time San Francisco would have score somewhere between 77 and 93 points. Therefore, subject to the league's response to my query the score should be something in the range of San Francisco 77-93 and Pittsburgh -27 to 0. Now could someone please tell my brother how to get his bookie to accept this recalculation and pay up - he took the Niners and the points?

For the record, I also recalculated the SB score as well and I am still adding up Seattle's virtual touchdowns while sipping a latte at Starbuck's. It seems they might just top 200 points scored - certainly a new SB record - with those basketball numbers - they might find it soothing when the Sonics are moved to Oklahoma City by the new owners.

Great post one of the funniest I've read!

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-26-2007, 11:22 AM

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny: rep-points on that one!!!

rbryan
09-26-2007, 11:26 AM

Seattle has a Basketball team????

lol, great post. You had me going there for a second.

rbryan
09-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Just saw Mike Periera school douchebag Eisen again on the rules of football. We really need to start a petition to get that guy fired. I can't stand that whiny little girl. He kept arguing how the 49ers got rooked even after Periera clearly told him he was wrong. This guy is worse than Mike Holmgren and every crybaby seahawk fan all rolled into one.

Also saw that the ball did hit the ground so the call was right. How about that??