PDA

View Full Version : "We will address it this week, and make it go away"

tony hipchest
09-24-2007, 04:30 PM
3-4 times tomlin has said something to this effect in his post game press conferences.

the 1st was on g. warren having a bad snap in preseason. some competition was brought in to send a message and no problems have been seen since.

then there was willie reid and his muffed punts. not only did tomlin publicly call him out and challenge him to do better, he went out and found a better pro option.

willie's fumblitis? im sure everybody has noticed how high and tight willie is carrying the ball now. how he wraps both arms around it before he hits the hole, and how he shifts the ball to the arm closest to the sideline long before a defender is near him. the difference is night and day in just 2 games. did anyone notice how mcfadden was carrying the ball on his interception. thats almost as bad as how willie used to carry it.

finally tomlin seemed a little peeved after the browns game when the team was penalized like 6 times for 45 yards. yesterday was almost flawless with only 3 penalties for 13 yards.

tomlin said he was gonna put his money where his mouth is and not just give lip service when he was first hired and winning these little battles are evidence of that.

a far cry from what we saw last year...

Stlrs4Life
09-24-2007, 05:22 PM
For sure tony, nice observation and good post.

delhess
09-24-2007, 05:29 PM
i believe tomlin will continue to get this level of performance in his players because he seems fair and honest in his assesment of their play. if you call out veterans when they underacheive, that will earn the respect of the whole team, as well as motivate everyone to do better. i am hard pressed to find a flaw in coach tomlin ...... so far.

stillers4me
09-24-2007, 05:33 PM
I think we are seeing proof that winning the little battles wins the war!

Haiku_Dirtt
09-24-2007, 05:33 PM
did anyone notice how mcfadden was carrying the ball on his interception. thats almost as bad as how willie used to carry it.

Great points.

And I did notice that petroleum-coated watermelon. I also noticed Alex Smith going deep 20 yards on the very next snap to set up a perfect 3 play drive. Something told me that McFadden forgot that the game wasn't officially over since every other Steeler stared him down after Anthony Smith made the tackle. Cmon B-Mac.

The Duke
09-24-2007, 05:35 PM
Tomlin is so smart, he addresses problems little or not in a big way. Can't wait to see this guy making game saving decisions. Great post tony

revefsreleets
09-24-2007, 06:00 PM
My guess is that Tomlin goes Mr. Woodc*ck on them and makes the culprits "take a lap".

MACH1
09-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Nice post th.
I don't find myself holding my breath any more on kick returns.:smile:

stillers4me
09-24-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm even breathing steadier when Ben has the ball.

X-Terminator
09-24-2007, 06:31 PM
If you also noticed, after the 49ers rolled out Alex Smith with some success early in the game, Tomlin and LeBeau quickly made adjustments to counter it. Several times, Brett Keisel stayed at home and pressured Smith when he rolled out, forcing him to get rid of the ball quicker than he wanted to. Those kind of on-the-fly adjustments are something we haven't seen around here very often in the past and will definitely serve them well as the season wears on and the opponents get tougher.

Atlanta Dan
09-24-2007, 06:45 PM
In this video (Steelers are discussed at the start), Peter King says Tomlin has told him the team now recognizes "Wednesdays are as important as Sundays" , meaning the preparation is as important to success as the actual playing of the game.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/peter_king/2007/09/24/king_week3.SportsIllustrated

There obviously is going to be a time soon when adversity hits, but so far Tomlin's tenure culd not have started any better..

Atlanta Dan
09-24-2007, 06:46 PM
He's doing a much better job. Last year, the coach didn't have his head in the game, and we weren't ready for the season.

And we still almost sneaked into the playoffs. It was a shame to see the team have a year like that, when it was basically the same team that went 15-1 one year, won the Super Bowl the next, and is absolutely murdering people this season.

Well the QB was not playing at the same level last year either:smile:

Hines0wnz
09-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Good thread TH. The more I see and hear of Tomlin, the more I like him. He seems to stay even keeled throughout the game but I'm anxious to watch him when we get into the meatier games this season.

TackleMeBen
09-24-2007, 08:07 PM
i am loving what i am seeing from tomlin. it seems to have them motivated to play harder and do better each time they are on the field. and you have to love anyone that can get ben to watch more film..lol:wink02:

delhess
09-25-2007, 04:09 AM
In this video (Steelers are discussed at the start), Peter King says Tomlin has told him the team now recognizes "Wednesdays are as important as Sundays" , meaning the preparation is as important to success as the actual playing of the game.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/peter_king/2007/09/24/king_week3.SportsIllustrated

There obviously is going to be a time soon when adversity hits, but so far Tomlin's tenure culd not have started any better..

tomlin = attention to detail and preparation

thanks for the link atlanta dan

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-25-2007, 07:27 AM
Nice observation Tony....As much as I loved Cowher... Its nice to have a Coach who is more inclined to notice and deal with the facts instead of react with emotion.

Buzz05
09-25-2007, 07:28 AM

I saw the same video AD. And you could really tell from pretty much the beginning that this team is a better prepared team going into each game. Something we know wasnt the case last year. They were over looking teams and under estimating teams. Something you cant do. Tomlin has these guys ready to play to full potential and they are very very well prepared. I think there might be something to this Tomlin guy.... haha :thumbsup:

verks36
09-25-2007, 07:39 AM
3-4 times tomlin has said something to this effect in his post game press conferences.

the 1st was on g. warren having a bad snap in preseason. some competition was brought in to send a message and no problems have been seen since.

then there was willie reid and his muffed punts. not only did tomlin publicly call him out and challenge him to do better, he went out and found a better pro option.

willie's fumblitis? im sure everybody has noticed how high and tight willie is carrying the ball now. how he wraps both arms around it before he hits the hole, and how he shifts the ball to the arm closest to the sideline long before a defender is near him. the difference is night and day in just 2 games. did anyone notice how mcfadden was carrying the ball on his interception. thats almost as bad as how willie used to carry it.

finally tomlin seemed a little peeved after the browns game when the team was penalized like 6 times for 45 yards. yesterday was almost flawless with only 3 penalties for 13 yards.

tomlin said he was gonna put his money where his mouth is and not just give lip service when he was first hired and winning these little battles are evidence of that.

good observation

it is so true so what you are going to do and do what you are going to say

HometownGal
09-25-2007, 07:58 AM
Excellent post Tony. :thumbsup: While a ton of credit surely must be given to Tomlin and the coaching staff, the players deserve a helluva lot of kudos for how hard they've worked and the adjustments they've made not only in T/C and in practice, but on the field. Their efforts clearly show. :cheers:

The one glaring difference I've seen thus far in the first three games is that these guys are now playing hard from start to finish instead of revving it up in the second half as we saw a lot of last season. Keep it up guys - hard work always pays off!! :tt02::thumbsup:

Polly
09-25-2007, 11:54 AM
im strartin' to like this guy, especially when he puts his game-face on, he looks scary

BurghZ0n3
09-25-2007, 12:33 PM
I'd like to see us in the playoff against the COLTS...and show 'em that not only them who got Dungy for a great HC!

alittlejazzbird
09-25-2007, 01:00 PM
i believe tomlin will continue to get this level of performance in his players because he seems fair and honest in his assesment of their play. if you call out veterans when they underacheive, that will earn the respect of the whole team, as well as motivate everyone to do better. i am hard pressed to find a flaw in coach tomlin ...... so far.

I think one player referred to his style as "brutally direct," but he didn't mean it in a nasty or insulting way. Coach Tomlin gets right to the point -- here's what you did, but I know you can do better and I expect you to do better -- and because they know he's coming from a place of utmost respect for them, along with a single-minded desire to win in everything he does, they respond.

You get the feeling already that these guys would run through the proverbial wall for Coach Tomlin. I know it's easy to say that because we're winning and everything is great right now, but there's something special about this guy that's just impossible to ignore.

I have a feeling he'll be at his best when times get tough. I just hope it's a very loooooong time before we see him at his best! :wink02:

yinzer-inseattle
09-25-2007, 02:54 PM
You get the feeling already that these guys would run through the proverbial wall for Coach Tomlin. I know it's easy to say that because we're winning and everything is great right now, but there's something special about this guy that's just impossible to ignore.....

Along those lines this quote from Deshea Townsend in the PG 09/02/2007

He had my respect the day Mr. Rooney hired him," cornerback Deshea Townsend said. "That's my leader. If he tells me to run through a wall, I might look at it for a while, but I know I've got to do it sooner or later."

Not doubt Coach Tomlin has got these guys positioned to do whatever it takes.

rog
09-25-2007, 03:27 PM
I have said it before and I will say it again...I thought the Rooneys made the wrong choice but I could not have been more wrong Tomlin is doing everything right and he will be the coach of this team for along long time and I couldn't be happier about that.

Dragonrider
09-25-2007, 03:28 PM
Another 15 to 20 years of having Mike Tomlin on the sidelines will allow me to retire happy. This guy is the real deal and like I stated before, I learned about him on Sirius NFL Radio before I ever heard him talk. He has done everything they said he would and more importantly, all he said he would. Great post.

Counselor
09-26-2007, 09:51 AM
This thread reminds me of all the times last year Cowher said things "won't happen again" (like certain 15 yard penalties) and yet they did happen again and again---making Cowher look like a fool (a bit like Tom Coughlin---well, maybe not quite that bad).

When problems arose last year, there was no evidence of anyone really addressing the root of those problems---the players were just told to "do better"---well then, why even have a coaching staff?

I have a strong sense that every time a mistake is made this year, Tomlin and his assistants watch the film and spend time the next week solving the problem.

I also think things like Tomlin's "news" segment brings a high level of accountability to this team.

alittlejazzbird
09-26-2007, 09:54 AM
I have said it before and I will say it again...I thought the Rooneys made the wrong choice but I could not have been more wrong Tomlin is doing everything right and he will be the coach of this team for along long time and I couldn't be happier about that.

If you have some time on your hands and want to be amused, go back and look through the "Is is Tomlin or Is It Grimm" discussion thread from earlier this year:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=14375

I was over the moon about Tomlin from the moment of his first post-interview press conference, but many did not share my enthusiasm, to say the least. In light of where the team finds itself heading into Week 4, that old thread makes for some interesting reading.

HometownGal
09-26-2007, 10:03 AM
The bottom line is - Tomlin puts his money where his mouth is. Nothing is a gimme with him - you want it - you're going to earn it. I love his demeanor both on and off the field and especially his very noticeable rapport and comradery with the team, along with the mutual respect he gives to and receives back from the guys. If we as fans are "head over heels" for the Tomlinator, imagine how ecstatic the Rooneys must be! :thumbsup::tt02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-26-2007, 11:35 AM
I also think things like Tomlin's "news" segment brings a high level of accountability to this team.

BINGO!!!...I believe that says it all!!!

DACEB
09-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Great post Tony

As many have pointed out, this team seems much better prepared. The mental mistakes are at a minimum and the physical play has been near outstanding. I think many (including Cowher) minimized the importance of STs, but that has become a strength under Tomlin. This team is playing very well in all three phases of the game and it shows.

I also love the fact that he takes the same approach with himself, in his first year he is also a work in progress.

SteelerFanInCA
09-26-2007, 01:09 PM
With Tomlin you know these guys will come ready to play week in and week out.

tony hipchest
10-30-2007, 06:07 PM
after the denver game, the big deal that was gonna be adressed was giving up td's in the red zone and not atleast holding the opponent to fg's. vs. the bungles, we stoped them twice when they were in the red zone, and held them to 6 points in the half.

heres whats in store for raven week-

tomlin on the kick coverage breakdowns vs the bungles (after noting it as 1 of the main problems that will be addressed this week)-

"...so we gotta get in the lab on it and get those problems solved."

within hours of the press conference we heard ricardo colclough had been released and a. madison re-signed.

:thumbsup: no lip service here.

revefsreleets
10-30-2007, 06:36 PM
ST is still a huge concern, though. Not that it normally isn't, but given all the extra attention it was paid this offseason, I expected a far greater return.

Then again, maybe we really were just that bad after last year.

GBMelBlount
10-30-2007, 08:14 PM
Nice thread TH. Only thing I think he needed to "address" and didn't was OL in draft. I was surpised (to put it mildly) that we picked two LB's & TE early and addressed line very late in draft. Granted Spaeth has been a pleasant surprise and we are now very solid at LB for the long term. However, the OL is still considered by many to be the weakest link in an otherwise very strong team thus far IMO.

Stlrs4Life
10-30-2007, 08:25 PM
I too am still worried about our special teams. Punt, punt return, KO, and KO return teams are all terrible.

SteelersMongol
10-30-2007, 08:57 PM
NFL says "(Mike Tomlin) is the coolest coach in the league." :jammin:

Steeldude
10-31-2007, 12:54 AM
IMO, parker still holds the ball loosely. many times as soon as he hits the ground that ball is out. i know that the ground can't cause a fumble, but one of those is going to haunt the steelers at a bad time.

i have yet to see the steelers improve the O-line. simmons is poor every week and he is getting worse.

Preacher
10-31-2007, 01:38 AM

Actually.. That was Deon Sanders that said that... yeah, I was shocked as well.

Also notice... No WIllie Fumbles. I guess Tomlin DID remedy that situation!

stillers4me
10-31-2007, 06:13 AM

Deon heard that from me......... :sofunny:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/07_MC_Tomlin_76489.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/parker_coach.jpg

Dino 6 Rings
10-31-2007, 07:09 AM
Tomlin takes the approach of treat the men like men. Point out their errors, teach them how to improve, and move on. The days of getting up in players faces are no longer with us. He'll call you over, say "You went left instead of right, you missed the play. That TD is on you. I expect better" and the player will show up next play or may find himself on the waiver wire. That's how you get pro athletes to perform at their highest level. He learned under Dungy, and helped to build a superbowl team in Tampa. The guy is no slouch, I'm a fan.

Counselor
10-31-2007, 10:06 AM
Actually.. That was Deon Sanders that said that... yeah, I was shocked as well.
!

For once I've got to agree---he is the coolest coach in the league!

Atlanta Dan
10-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Tomlin takes the approach of treat the men like men. Point out their errors, teach them how to improve, and move on. The days of getting up in players faces are no longer with us. He'll call you over, say "You went left instead of right, you missed the play. That TD is on you. I expect better" and the player will show up next play or may find himself on the waiver wire. That's how you get pro athletes to perform at their highest level. He learned under Dungy, and helped to build a superbowl team in Tampa. The guy is no slouch, I'm a fan.

Agreed - Tomlin has a bit of Michael Corleone in him (it's nothing personal - it's strictly business).

Cutting Coclough was an action with which I agree but which was cold blooded - I cannot recall Cowher cutting a player who made it onto to the regular squad out of training camp unless an injury required a move to bring in someone else (and even then the player was sent to the practice squad if that move could be made).

My only question with Coclough still is how he made it out of training camp.

Lord Stiller
10-31-2007, 12:14 PM
My only question with Coclough still is how he made it out of training camp.

My guess is Tomlin kept Colclough after TC because of the potential he had being a good athlete. After not showing enough improvement and screwing up on special teams Tomlin axed him

It's not a big deal because Madison was still available and that is who likely would have been kept over Colclough anyways

SteelDogFan
11-01-2007, 10:44 AM
There is one other coach that exhibits this kind of demeanor when being interview by reporters and Hes a legend and also somewhat irritating at times. Bill Bellicheck. I know Tomlin has a WAYS to go but their even Kiel reminds me of each other. Only Bill B. never even smiles.