PDA

View Full Version : The O-line and the success of the tight ends, and the deep game

Mosca
09-25-2007, 10:55 AM
I was reading something that made this click in my head, about why we're having such great success with the offensive game plan this year, and how the line's success on the running plays has translated into the emergence of our tight ends as receiving threats.

We've been running a lot of play-action passes this year. We ran them last year too, but the TEs would stay in and block on the running plays, and stay in and block on the play actions as well, releasing at the end as safety valves.

Now, with all our tight ends as receiving threats, and with the improved play of the middle 5, we can send 1, 2, or 3 of the TEs out into the patterns on the play actions; because the level of play is higher, our versatility is increased, our predictability is decreased, and our opportunities and probability of success go through the roof. When we get a team with strong corners shutting down our long threat (like the '49ers did, those corners are good), and we have the guys who can go underneath against the linebackers with a high degree of success.

And, did anyone notice that during the week Arians said that we were going to take our long shots downfield several times every game... and then we didn't take ANY long shots against the '49ers? But we certainly sent Cedric and Santonio waaaaaay downfield on a couple of those 20 yard delayed draws to Willie Parker, didn't we?

Hehe. We won the psychologiical battle too, I think.

Tom

delhess
09-25-2007, 11:05 AM
good observations. i think this is some of what arians and tomlin mean by opening up the offense. people think that ben is going to throw more, but i don't think thats true. predictability is going away as these changes go into affect. i hate to see dan kreider go, but he doesn't fit into this scheme very well, and i understand that.

Dragonrider
09-25-2007, 04:44 PM
I think I heard that by opening up the offense they meant that they wanted to spread people out so Willie would have more running room. And they also promised to get the tight ends more involved in the passing game this year.

onthebus36
09-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Great post Mosca.

I totally agree. I think those new TE sets both spread the defense and open running lanes and also provide solid receiving threats underneath.

In the play that resulted in Spaeth's first TD, Ben said the progression was Miller, Tuman, and Spaeth. I don't recall if there was a WR in that set, but if there was, he was just a decoy.

tony hipchest
09-25-2007, 06:27 PM
And, did anyone notice that during the week Arians said that we were going to take our long shots downfield several times every game... and then we didn't take ANY long shots against the '49ers? But we certainly sent Cedric and Santonio waaaaaay downfield on a couple of those 20 yard delayed draws to Willie Parker, didn't we?

Hehe. We won the psychologiical battle too, I think.

Tomyep. i was thinking it would be a good week to test our our 4wr/no huddle offense. maybe we'll attack arizona the same way i think they are prepping to attack us with (probably more reverse psychology on their part).

another thing we havent seen, that we are bound to see soon, is 8-9 defenders in the box to stop willie. if we can run out of a 2 wr and 2 te set with willie in the backfield (a te who can play h-back) we can easilly catch defenders in the wrong package, spread em out, and find the mismatch with the same grouping of players. (miller, holmes, hines and willie are a pretty quick bunch 4 wide and spaeth for blocking or underneath stuff is a nice 5th option or c. davis ore d. kreider).

we will have alot of versatility without any substitutions when it comes time to run the no huddle were all anxious to see.

if hines doesnt play sunday, i wouldnt mind seeing holmes, washington, wilson, miller, and parker in the hurry up. 0n 3rd and 7 theres so much that can be done with that grouping. a qb draw even!

Edman
09-25-2007, 06:44 PM
The 49ers did something I haven't seen any opponent do against the Steelers in quite a while, NOT stack the box to stop the run. Opponents usually put 8-9 guys at the LOS to stop the running game, but not last Sunday. Willie had all kinds of room to run. They actually respected the passing game. Of course that could be just me.

I really like Arians' gameplan of spreading the field and passing the ball in order to open the run game instead of just "doing what we do". It keeps the Defenses honest and makes the Steelers MUCH less predictable.

Atlanta Dan
09-25-2007, 06:53 PM
Good points Tom

I also had thought about no deep throws against the 49ers - although they went deep to Holmes against Cleveland, maybe Arians wanted to keep Ben on a shorter leash after Ben reverted to the 2006 model of Ben and forced that horrible deep interception into coverage in the Bills game

IMO the offense opens up this week - Warner will be in by the second Q and the Cardinals will put up some points - this is the Super Bowl for Whiz & Grimm

NateC
09-25-2007, 07:05 PM
Agreed / Great Points...

Tony, i dont know about you but i dont ever want to see Qb Draws and such Drawn up... Stay in the Pocket and Deliver Balls unless all else Fails... Or 3rd or 4th and 1. fine get behind Mahan and Get a yard... but roll outs and designed Draws, is not something we need Ben dooing.

Mosca
09-25-2007, 07:25 PM
if hines doesnt play sunday, i wouldnt mind seeing holmes, washington, wilson, miller, and parker in the hurry up. 0n 3rd and 7 theres so much that can be done with that grouping. a qb draw even!

And that brings something else up; all the pre-season talk about this guy or that guy being good enough or not good enough, all of a sudden I have tremendous confidence in whoever we put on the field. I have that confidence because I am 100%certain that Tomlin has everyone on the roster ready to play, and that everyone knows what to do when they're called on.

There's a lot going on now; simplicity has brought complexity. Less guys who can do only one thing, and more guys who can do lots of different things. A smaller play book, but with a wider variety of plays. And despite that all, it is still Steelers football. We line up our guys against your guys and judge the force of the collisions.

Tom

tony hipchest
09-25-2007, 07:39 PM
And that brings something else up; all the pre-season talk about this guy or that guy being good enough or not good enough, all of a sudden I have tremendous confidence in whoever we put on the field. I have that confidence because I am 100%certain that Tomlin has everyone on the roster ready to play, and that everyone knows what to do when they're called on.

There's a lot going on now; simplicity has brought complexity. Less guys who can do only one thing, and more guys who can do lots of different things. A smaller play book, but with a wider variety of plays. And despite that all, it is still Steelers football. We line up our guys against your guys and judge the force of the collisions.

Tom:tt02:

our lb's, cb's, ol and back up rb's were all considered a weakness (not to mention our return game = no fumbles through 3 games) .

tomlin was asked who were a few of the unsung heroes or unrecognized players so far this year on either side of the line. tomlin immediately aknowledged mayhan and colon and aknowleged that c. hampton "is as good as advertized". there almost seems to not be enough snaps for either our lb's or nickel backs. like last year, najeh shows he comes through late in the game.

max starks could become our "4th" TE to catch a td!

i agree with the "simplicity brought complexity". like they say... keep it simple stupid :dang:

the complex approach was keeping good young players off the field.

Atlanta Dan
09-25-2007, 09:56 PM
Here is an interesting stat:

Note to Steelers opponents: they?re not going to run it to the right side! According to the SI.com directional running stats, Pittsburgh has run right just 5 percent of the time while piling up a league-high 595 yards on the ground.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15321543/?pg=4#spt_chff_powerrankings

The Duke
09-25-2007, 10:10 PM

Note to Steelers opponents: they?re not going to run it to the right side! According to the SI.com directional running stats, Pittsburgh has run right just 5 percent of the time while piling up a league-high 595 yards on the ground.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15321543/?pg=4#spt_chff_powerrankings

This is a little thing that scares me without Faneca next season. But well, let's just focus on this season for now....

tony hipchest
09-25-2007, 10:13 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15321543/?pg=4#spt_chff_powerrankingsthat stat is hardcore. theres only 3 things i can really take from that.

either faneca and smith are that good.

simmons, mayhan, and colon, need that much more work.

or the steelers are still playing it a little vanilla during the "soft spot" of our schedule as far as the running game is concerned (perhaps a "catch the opposition off balance with the ol switcheroo technique" is in play.)

MasterOfPuppets
09-25-2007, 10:24 PM
that stat is hardcore. theres only 3 things i can really take from that.

either faneca and smith are that good.

simmons, mayhan, and colon, need that much more work.

or the steelers are still playing it a little vanilla during the "soft spot" of our schedule as far as the running game is concerned (perhaps a "catch the opposition off balance with the ol switcheroo technique" is in play.) mahan..?...:huh:....isn't he kinda in the middle ?...:hunch:

tony hipchest
09-25-2007, 10:28 PM
mahan..?...:huh:....isn't he kinda in the middle ?...:hunch:
that portion of him between the right and left side is. :flap:

MasterOfPuppets
09-25-2007, 10:42 PM
that portion of him between the right and left side is. :flap:
gotcha...:thumbsup: his left side is good...but his right side sucks....:thmbup:

tony hipchest
09-25-2007, 10:47 PM
gotcha...:thumbsup: his left side is good...but his right side sucks....:thmbup:lol.... spoken like a true steelerfan. :wink02:

billybob
09-25-2007, 10:51 PM
i noticed that they lined max starks up in a formation,as a tight end.is that loading up for a run,or can we expect to see old max catch a pass too?