PDA

View Full Version : Giving 'Em Up for Good

HometownGal
09-25-2007, 01:29 PM
I have decided that I am going to give myself the very best gift I could give myself, as well as my family, and quit smoking on my birthday this week. :thumbsup: As I watch my children and grandson grow up and as growing one year older kind of smacks ya right in the kisser that life is indeed way too short, I want to continue to be afforded the privilege and honor of continuing to watch them grow, prosper and raise families of their own. Smoking decreases those chances greatly, especially with my health history.

I know several of you here who have successfully kicked the habit and I welcome any tips and pointers you could give me to get past the withdrawal and stay off them for good. :cheers: I quit for 4 years when I was pregnant with my children many moons ago and the way I see it - if I could do it before, I can do it again!

Anyone game on kicking the habit with me? :hug:

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

fansince'76
09-25-2007, 01:31 PM
Good luck, Marianne. I'm sure you'll be able to kick the cancer sticks. :cheers:

verks36
09-25-2007, 01:34 PM
that is awesome the first week is the hardest but go through with it dont give up. It is either said then done but give it your all.

Good luck
verks36

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-25-2007, 01:40 PM
First time I ever picked up a cig...an older guy told me..."you hold that like a little b*tch"....I put it down and never tried again. (If I didnt look cool doing it....forget it!!!!)

X-Terminator
09-25-2007, 01:46 PM
I'm glad you've decided to give them up. I know how determined you are, so I'm confident that you'll be able to successfully kick the habit. I believe in you!

klick81
09-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Good luck...my dad tried giving up drinking and smoking, but smoking proved to be the tougher of the two.

MACH1
09-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Good luck. I'll send you a pm on something that really helped make it easier.

HometownGal
09-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Thanks guys for the encouragement - I know it isn't going to be easy, but what in life that is worth a damn is? :smile:

I went through terrible withdrawal when I quit before but after a few weeks, those symptoms passed. After the birth of my son, I went back to work and started up all over again - back then smoking was permitted in offices. I think I'll just hide under the bed or behind the sofa for a few days. :couch:

Livinginthe past
09-25-2007, 03:07 PM
Best of luck, Marianne.

I'll be pulling for you all the way - I don't actually smoke, but if it helps I can smoke a couple and then give up with ya :wink02:

HometownGal
09-25-2007, 03:30 PM
Best of luck, Marianne.

I'll be pulling for you all the way - I don't actually smoke, but if it helps I can smoke a couple and then give up with ya :wink02:

:toofunny::toofunny::smoker:

Be glad you never picked one up, Nigel - I sure wish I hadn't.

rog
09-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Good luck I quit back in feb it was about the 100th time I tried though. I think I'm actually going to sick it out this time I was out having a few drinks with some friends the other night and I slipped up and bummed a smoke but the good thing was I thought it was gross so I think it will be along time before I try it again.

The ting that worked for me was spite, sounds strange right well I told my wife I was going to quit (again) she said basicly there was no way I could do I showed her. I'll do just about anything out of spite.

The Duke
09-25-2007, 03:56 PM
There's nothing better than seeing someone quit smoking. Last week an uncle of mine had a very serious problem related to smoking and he's thankful he's alive. Quit it HTG and have no regrets about it

revefsreleets
09-25-2007, 04:48 PM
Good luck! The key is REALLY being ready to quit. I had a thousand false starts, but when I was ready, I was ready. It helped me to try and break out of routines. I always smoked with the morning coffee, so I tried to drink tea when I quit instead. Things like that.

TackleMeBen
09-25-2007, 07:41 PM
you can do it marrianne.. i have faith in you.. and look at it this way................. if you quit then you will be around longer to watch more steeler games:wink02::wink02: that right there is worth quitting, right??? lol

my mom quit about 20 yrs ago. thank god i never took up her habit. i thought it was just too nasty.. but i will be here cheering you on :cheer::cheer::cheer:

how about if you quit i will go kidnap your punter for you and deliver him to your house..lol :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

tony hipchest
09-25-2007, 08:00 PM
First time I ever picked up a cig...an older guy told me..."you hold that like a little b*tch"....I put it down and never tried again. (If I didnt look cool doing it....forget it!!!!)

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

now if that isnt positive peer pressure, i dont know what is :smoker:

good luck HTG. i need to jump on that bandwaggon too. i hope to wise up sooner than later.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
09-25-2007, 08:55 PM
GREAT NEWS and good luck!!!! :tt02: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

My last cigarette was 141 days ago May 7th. I used Chantix and it was so helpful you can't even believe no horrible withdrawal, no eating like a pig, no nicotine replacement, no irritability. I smoked for 32 years and this is the only time I ever tried to stop that I've lasted this long.

The only thing I'm worried about is running across a very stressful steeler game, that will be the real test for me. But so far so good. Here's to the non-smokers :cheers:

SteelCityMan786
09-25-2007, 09:14 PM
good luck marianne.

Stlrs4Life
09-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Good Luck Marianne.

SteelersMongol
09-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Good luck HTG. My Dad smoked like since who knows when, but he did quit 15 years ago. I know it's no walk in the park, but if my Dad could I'm sure anyone can. God bless you with enough strength and wisdom to come through it.

HometownGal
09-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Thank you ALL for your great advice and encouragement here in this thread and the numerous PMs I've received. I'm ready to kick the habit and will have my last ciggy tonight before I go to bed. :thumbsup:

Special thanks to Brian, Gary, Vickie and Eric for their support and terrific tips! :cheers: :hug:

We smokers all know that nicotine is very addictive, but smoking is also quite the habitual ritual (I'm a poet and don't know it - LOL!). One of my friends in Chicago told me how she got past having something in her hand and drawing on a ciggy - she cut a straw in half and held it in her hand whenever she felt the urge. She could also draw on it like a cig. She told me that 2 weeks of this and working out when the withdrawal was really hard helped her kick the habit. Sandra is now 3 years smoke free! I've already got the workout ritual down pat, so I'll be spending even more time at the gym.

I can DO it!!!

alittlejazzbird
09-26-2007, 05:20 PM
:toofunny::toofunny::smoker:

Be glad you never picked one up, Nigel - I sure wish I hadn't.

You GO girl - I know you can do it!

Too bad we can't find you one of those rubber rooms such as the type you recommended for Michael Vick, and put you in there for the first week or so until the worst passes. :wink02:

Seriously though, I grew up with parents who were very heavy smokers and I'm the only person in my family who has never smoked (would be stupid for me since I'm a singer by profession). I saw first-hand what it does to someone's health, and I really wish you all the best that you can kick the habit once and for all.

One big plus of quitting -- improved lung capacity, so you can scream that much louder for the Steelers!!!!!

JimMac
09-26-2007, 07:35 PM
Good luck to ya!

Preacher
09-27-2007, 03:41 AM
Good luck!!!

I think it a very wise choice and pray that you will be able to do it!!!

Aussie_steeler
09-27-2007, 05:39 AM
Good luck on your quest. We all wish you well. It will change your life.

Some people swear by the strategy of associating a cigarette with a physically repulsive image so every time they pick one up they they start to feel sick.

Some of our anti smoking ads are very graphic in Australia. Cigarette advertising of any kind is banned by law.

BE WARNED SMOKERS - OUR CIGARETTE PACKS DOWN UNDER CONTAIN VERY GRAPHIC IMAGES ON THEM TO DETER SMOKERS. THESE LINKS ARE NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED.

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/wcms/publishing.nsf/Content/health-pubhlth-strateg-drugs-tobacco-warning-packs-A.htm

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/wcms/publishing.nsf/Content/health-pubhlth-strateg-drugs-tobacco-warning-packs-B.htm

http://tobacco.health.usyd.edu.au/site/supersite/resources/docs/gallery_posters.htm

HometownGal
09-27-2007, 09:32 AM
Well - I'm very sad to report that I fell off of the wagon after only 2 hours. I am so pissed off at myself right now I could scream.:banging: I've only had 1 cigarette, but it was one too many. I bummed a cig from my neighbor as I threw out the rest of my pack last night. I just talked to one of my friends on the phone who told me not to beat myself up, as quitting smoking is the hardest thing she's ever done. It took her 4 times trying within a week to finally stop. She knows how determined I am and she told me to use the "if you fall off of your bike, get right back up on it" theory, so I am going to give it my all again. She also told me to put pictures of my grandson in all of the usual places I frequent in the house (except the bathroom of course - LOL!) to remind me of one of the biggest reasons I want to quit, which I am going to do. I'll do anything to free myself of this addiction. You may all throw the cyber tomatoes now - I'm so disappointed in myself. :tomato::tomato::tomato:

Crushzilla
09-27-2007, 10:05 AM
I wouldn't beat yourself up too hard Marianne. Its hard not to fall off at least once. Its a process.

Just remember how upset you are at yourself right now next time you are thinking about sneaking one.

MACH1
09-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Hop right back up on that bike and keep going. Its hard but it can be done.
Don't be to hard on yourself its only day one.

Dynasty
09-27-2007, 05:16 PM
Like Crush said, if you weren't mad at yourself, that would be a problem for quitting, but since you really want to, don't worry about having one.

steelerbackr4life
09-27-2007, 05:49 PM
Good luck Gal I quit 18 years ago. After the initial physical addiction was gone the hardest part about quitting was mental, after meal cigarette etc. One thing that really helped me was holding a cigarette when I wanted one and never lighting. It it is odd you are so used to doing the same things that you dont know what to do with your hands at the times that you would normally be smoking.
After awhile it was easy. Youll see every day it gets easier !

stillers4me
09-28-2007, 08:40 PM
How did today go for you, HTG........or maybe I shouldn't ask.

:couch:

Steel Warrior
09-28-2007, 10:47 PM
Hey HTG, Don't beat yourself up over this. We tend to think in black and white, or yes or no, but seldom in shades of gray. It's all about willpower and what you're comfortable with. I'm guessin' many of the folks that post here drink but know when and how much to drink so it isn't a problem for them. Same with cigs, cut back and limit yourself to only 5 or 6 a day, coffee in the morn, on the way to work, after lunch, in the eve, before bed. And, if you get frisky, you can have an extra one after that! Five or six cigs a day aren't gonna kill ya. Once you reduce to that, then you can consider going lower or to none at all, or stick with a few a day. I know a guy that quit several years ago that has one in the morning with his coffee and one before he goes to bed. Whatever works, but it doesn't have to be all or nothing, as it shouldn't be with anything you do.

zoneblitz43
09-28-2007, 11:29 PM
I quit smoking on May 17, 2006. Until then I have been smoking since I was 12, my parents smoke and I was always around it so I thought it was acceptable. Well, in Ohio cigarettes are now $6 a pack and smoking in public places has been outlawed. That was good enough motivation to quit. However one year later I can breathe much easier, I can play sports again, and I have saved a lot of money. How did I do it? I simply went to Wal-Mart and bought a box of patches for $20. Instead of smoking, I bought chewing gum. After 13 years of smoking I quit when I thought I never could. If I can do it I'm sure you can too.

HometownGal
09-28-2007, 11:57 PM
How did today go for you, HTG........or maybe I shouldn't ask.

:couch:

I fell off the wagon yesterday, unfortunately, and called my health insurance carrier to see if they had a smoking cessation program. The counselor I spoke with was very nice, quite encouraging and very helpful. She told me that under no circumstances should I beat myself up and that I took that important first step by wanting to quit smoking after all of the years I have smoked. She also said that she quit smoking 11 years ago after 25 years of nicotine addiction, but it took her several times of quitting and relapsing before she finally stayed off of them for good. She sent me a packet of material which I hope to receive tomorrow and also told me that a lot of people choose Monday as their "Q-day" because they associate the "beginning of the week" with a "new beginning towards good health". I haven't smoked much at all since I tried quitting on Thursday and I'm going to give it another shot on Monday. You have all given me such encouragement and support and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I am going to kick the habit - I am determined. :thumbsup:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
09-30-2007, 02:09 AM
So Marianne how is the no smoking going? Did you get yourself some Chantix?

:bouncy::bouncy::thumbsup:

GutterflowerSteel
10-05-2007, 05:39 PM
I was finally able to quit over 8 years ago after many, MANY tries. I did it by acupuncture, the only thing that ever worked for me. Patches just give you more of what you're trying to get away from, and I found out that I was allergic to Zyban.

After my first acupuncture treatment, I realized that I had NO cravings and NO bitchiness - it was amazing! I'm squeamish about needles...but these aren't even sharp and it's actually relaxing to the point that I'd nap during each visit :smile: If the company that you work for offers flexible spending accounts for health care - acupuncture is covered under that. It took me 4 or 5 visits. It may take you less, or it may take you more. But it was money well spent.

HANG IN THERE - it gets easier!