PDA

View Full Version : Don Banks/SI - Not All 3-0 Teams Created Equal (Steelers)

alittlejazzbird
09-25-2007, 02:13 PM
I agree with him - if we can take at least two of three in weeks 7-9, I'll put the Steelers up there with New England and Indy as 100% for-real Super Bowl contenders.

"Not all 3-0s are created equal. The resurgent Steelers might wind up being one of the success stories of the year in the NFL, but through no fault of their own, we really don't know enough about Mike Tomlin's guys to christen them an elite team. Pittsburgh has won convincingly three weeks in a row, but those victories came against the Charlie Frye-led Browns, the injury-decimated Bills and the offensively-challenged 49ers.

In Weeks 7-8-9, the Steelers will show us what they've got, when they draw at Denver, at Cincinnati and home against Baltimore. Our hunch is the Steelers are for real. But you can't put them in the same class as the Patriots or Colts based on three wins against teams that had losing records last season."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/09/25/snap.judgments/index.html

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-25-2007, 02:18 PM
I agree with him - if we can take at least two of three in weeks 7-9, I'll put the Steelers up there with New England and Indy as 100% for-real Super Bowl contenders.

"Not all 3-0s are created equal. The resurgent Steelers might wind up being one of the success stories of the year in the NFL, but through no fault of their own, we really don't know enough about Mike Tomlin's guys to christen them an elite team. Pittsburgh has won convincingly three weeks in a row, but those victories came against the Charlie Frye-led Browns, the injury-decimated Bills and the offensively-challenged 49ers.

In Weeks 7-8-9, the Steelers will show us what they've got, when they draw at Denver, at Cincinnati and home against Baltimore. Our hunch is the Steelers are for real. But you can't put them in the same class as the Patriots or Colts based on three wins against teams that had losing records last season."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/09/25/snap.judgments/index.html

I was listening to "Da Coach" and Hoge talk about this on ESPN two days ago..Hoge was pressing the point that the Steelers ARE in the same league because they can do something that no other team can do....pressure the QB to a point that you take him out of the game. He went on to say that the Steelers offense CAN score on these teams and they are legitimate contenders to go deep into the playoffs. (Even mentioned the "S" word.

SteelerFanInCA
09-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Until we play some of the better teams, I'm sure this will be a popular opinion. It's only a matter of time unitl we beat the better teams. One game at a time and we will get there.

jjpro11
09-25-2007, 03:21 PM
this really shouldnt be a surprise to anyone. we have the same basic core of players that took us to 15-1 and a super bowl win. we may be even better on both sides of the ball with the experience gained of ben, parker, miller, taylor, polamalu, the list goes on... the additions of holmes and smith could be big for us as well. i for one definitely think that our defense is better than it was in 2004 and 2005 because of the scheme and personnel. i still need to see more out of the offense to declare it better, but so farn so good.

rog
09-25-2007, 04:02 PM
I realize the Steelers wins came against teams that are not very good but they were very convincing they have dominated from the start of the Browns game through the 49ers game. The Patriots have done the same but were the teams they played all that great ...no. If you want to say the Jets are a good team go ahead and I will disagree they might be better than the Bills or Browns but I don't think they are better than the 49ers. Ok I know everyone is going to say what about the Chargers? They just lost to the Packers barely beat the Bears and are definatly not the same team they were last year. I agree with Hoge we got just as good of a shot as anybody in this league if the team plats up to their potential and I believe their best football is still ahead of them. Lets go Steelers proving everyone wrong again.

Stlrs4Life
09-25-2007, 05:08 PM
I can agree with that article. It is true, until then alot of them will feel that way.

Providence Steel
09-26-2007, 10:02 AM
What I don't like about the article is that after beating the Jets, Bills and a Chargers team that is just a shadow of itself as compared to last year, the Patriots are anointed a "class 5 hurricane". Yeah they beat them big and Moss has 5 touchdowns....Class 5 Hurricane???

After loosing Parcells and hiring Phillips, the Cowboys are clearly on the right track as well. Praise to the team for doing the right thing.

After beating the Bills, 49ers, and the Browns, the Steelers are looked down upon because of the class of the opposition??? Has any team the Patriots played this year put up 51 points in any game?

What games is Don Banks watching!?! As a New England resident, I get every Patriots game and I can tell you that the running game is not that great looking yet. Moss looks fantastic...against mediocre teams so far and Brady looks the best I've ever seen him. Defense is good too but to be honest, since watching the Steelers on the internet, the Steelers appear to be more balanced across the board and our defense is certainly more impressive.

Don Banks has never uttered a kind word about the Steelers unless what he says is an obvious fact that cannot be denied. He's a Patriots homer.

Beside that, the Steelers are more closely removed from a Super Bowl victory than the Cowboys or the Patriots and anyone with a nose on his face could see that last year's performance was a combination of injury, a slump coming off a Super Bowl win (didn't the same happen to the "Class 5 Hurricanes"?) and a coach who's heart was not into the game for his last year.

onthebus36
09-26-2007, 10:17 AM
You can only play the teams on your schedule. If the Steelers beat bad teams, they beat them the way you are supposed to beat bad teams - convincingly. Those teams were dominated.

We play increasingly better teams over the next two games. Playing at Denver is never easy but I follow the Broncos and they have the look of a team in disarray. For one, they barely beat the Bills.

Next up is the Bengals. I don't know what to make of this team other than that they are clearly inconsistent and lack discipline.

After that is the Ravens. Again, they are playing well overall but are keeping teams they should beat handily in the game. And their D is giving up a lot in the 4th quarter.

Anyway, I agree with the article in that the Steelers need to play an elite team for us to get a better picture of who this team is. I also agree that three game stretch will tell us a lot. However, based on the way some of the teams we face this season have performed so far, I like our chances.

Steel Pit
09-26-2007, 10:19 AM
What I don't like about the article is that after beating the Jets, Bills and a Chargers team that is just a shadow of itself as compared to last year, the Patriots are anointed a "class 5 hurricane". Yeah they beat them big and Moss has 5 touchdowns....Class 5 Hurricane???

After loosing Parcells and hiring Phillips, the Cowboys are clearly on the right track as well. Praise to the team for doing the right thing.

After beating the Bills, 49ers, and the Browns, the Steelers are looked down upon because of the class of the opposition??? Has any team the Patriots played this year put up 51 points in any game?

What games is Don Banks watching!?! As a New England resident, I get every Patriots game and I can tell you that the running game is not that great looking yet. Moss looks fantastic...against mediocre teams so far and Brady looks the best I've ever seen him. Defense is good too but to be honest, since watching the Steelers on the internet, the Steelers appear to be more balanced across the board and our defense is certainly more impressive.

Don Banks has never uttered a kind word about the Steelers unless what he says is an obvious fact that cannot be denied. He's a Patriots homer.

Beside that, the Steelers are more closely removed from a Super Bowl victory than the Cowboys or the Patriots and anyone with a nose on his face could see that last year's performance was a combination of injury, a slump coming off a Super Bowl win (didn't the same happen to the "Class 5 Hurricanes"?) and a coach who's heart was not into the game for his last year.

Nice post man. As I read the article I just didn't see the "TOUGHNESS" in the future 3 game stretch of schedule mentioned in the article. Has anyone watched the Broncos squeaking out victories against less than average opponents? How about the Ravens? Yes their defense is semi-tough but it's not nearly as good as it was last season. In the 2nd half of the Jets game you saw a 2nd year QB shred them apart. And then they mention Cincinnati, WHAT? STFU! That's certainly not going to be a tough game.

fansince'76
09-26-2007, 10:26 AM
And I should care what Don Banks thinks because....?

Providence Steel
09-26-2007, 10:34 AM
I guess the article is slanted by not mentioning that the Patriots ALSO need to play some better teams before you can get a more accurate picture of what they are made of. Having to the Play the Cowboys, Redskins, Colts, Ravens, Steelers and Giants might give us a better picture of the Patriots as well. This doesn't even mention the AFC East divisional foes that will occasionally put up a fight. (What a lousy division)

rog
09-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Nice post man. As I read the article I just didn't see the "TOUGHNESS" in the future 3 game stretch of schedule mentioned in the article. Has anyone watched the Broncos squeaking out victories against less than average opponents? How about the Ravens? Yes their defense is semi-tough but it's not nearly as good as it was last season. In the 2nd half of the Jets game you saw a 2nd year QB shred them apart. And then they mention Cincinnati, WHAT? STFU! That's certainly not going to be a tough game.

I wouldn't say the Bengals game isn't going to be tough because we allways get their best shot. Sometimes it seems like that is the only game the Bengals want to win is the games against Pittsburgh. The Ravens game makes me nervous just because they killed us both times last year. Denver doesn't make me too nervous other than that we are going to Denver and they will be looking for a little payback for AFCC game.

83-Steelers-43
09-26-2007, 10:41 AM
but those victories came against the Charlie Frye-led Browns, the injury-decimated Bills and the offensively-challenged 49ers.

In Weeks 7-8-9, the Steelers will show us what they've got, when they draw at Denver, at Cincinnati and home against Baltimore.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Although I really don't care what the Patriots (I will on December 9) or Colts are doing nor do I really care what this guy or anybody else at ESPN has to say about this team. I'm looking at our team and our schedule. Up to this point, we have beaten the teams that we should have beaten. We will eventually be tested by the stronger teams in the league. When those days come, I personally will have a better understanding of where this team ranks.

I'm not taking anything away from the way they are playing right now. I'm not stating that they are not a good football team. I would just like to see more proof before I decide to call them an "elite" team and have them making a deep playoff run/possible Super Bowl victory in mid-September after playing the teams that we have played.

I really don't see anything wrong with that.

Dino 6 Rings
09-26-2007, 01:17 PM
What do the Pats have the Steelers don't? Well, they have 3 rings and 2 superbowl losses. Hmm...We have 5 rings and 1 superbowl loss.

They have Moss...we have Ward and Holmes.

They have a good defense, we have a great defense.
They have Maroney, a fast running back, we have Parker, a Faster running back.
They have a great head coach. We have Tomlin, a great Coach given a chance to be head coach. (3 pick sixes and the defensive MVP for Tampa Bay's superbowl win, Tomlin was their secondary coach.)

We are loaded with veterans, they are loaded with veterans.

Funny how this Banks guy put Denver, Cincy and Baltimore as tough games on the schedule...too bad he doesn't get it yet, our biggest game is this Sunday, vs the Cards.