PDA

View Full Version : Arizona opening the roof

MACH1
09-26-2007, 12:50 AM
I read on their web site and caught the tail end on NFLN. The cards have not played with an open roof since they moved in to their new stadium. Its supposed to be mid to high 90s. Their going to have the Steelers wear black jerseys if they do open it. It looks like Whiz is worried and is going to use every single advantage he can get to beat the Steelers at home on Sunday. I say bring it on. :tt02::tt02:

jjpro11
09-26-2007, 01:12 AM
i thought it was staying closed?

"Open or shut case

Arizona's 2-year-old University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale has a retractable roof.

The Steelers played the Houston Texans in a 1 p.m. kickoff Sept. 18, 2005, in their new stadium, which also has a retractable roof. The Texans wore white, made the Steelers wear black and kept their roof open to somehow try to gain an advantage in the heat. The Steelers won, 27-7.

Kickoff is 1 p.m. (PDT) in the desert Sunday.

"I would expect it to be hot, , so the roof will probably be open," Tomlin said.

Here's a tipoff that it won't be: The Cardinals will wear their usual home, red jerseys, which means the Steelers will dress in white. Also, the Cardinals usually keep their roof close during hot weather; in fact, they were criticized a few times last year when they closed it on cooler days."

whiz should know that that junk wont effect the steelers. he might as well keep it closed to at least keep the fans more comfortable.

WWIIOwheelz
09-26-2007, 01:17 AM
Heh... that heat in the desert feels nothing like summer in Latrobe. They'll need a lot more than the weather come Sunday, I have a feeling.

That's an unbelievable stadium, though. I'd like to visit there someday.

NateC
09-26-2007, 01:47 AM
LOL its not freaking Mile High or something, Its just Hot weather?.. Thats rediculous if somone puts any hope is Players Overheating on Sunday cause they leave the roof open. its almost laughable.

Preacher
09-26-2007, 01:56 AM
LOL its not freaking Mile High or something, Its just Hot weather?.. Thats rediculous if somone puts any hope is Players Overheating on Sunday cause they leave the roof open. its almost laughable.

No... I wouldn't say laughable. It is a actually a serious situation.

However, both teams have to deal with the heat, and Pittsburgh practiced not JUST in heat, but in heat AND humidity.

I doubt very much Whiz would think that it would affect the Steelers.

Edman
09-26-2007, 02:53 AM
The Texans tried that "overheat the Steelers" gimmick once, and got their butts handed to them. It won't work.

Galax Steeler
09-26-2007, 03:52 AM
The Texans tried that "overheat the Steelers" gimmick once, and got their butts handed to them. It won't work.

Agreed I don't think it will work either It will take more than that to slow us down.

stillers4me
09-26-2007, 05:31 AM
Tomlin would be out there in his long black pants telling the the players to suck it up anyway. Just another day in training camp.

Lord Stiller
09-26-2007, 07:11 AM
Houston did the same exact thing (open roof and make us wear black) the year we won the SB and we CRUSHED them

:tt02:

RoethlisBURGHer
09-26-2007, 07:53 AM
I doubt Whiz thinks the dry hear of Arizona will bother the Steelers. He know s damn well how hot and humid it can get in the Pittsburgh area.

Leave the roof closed Whiz, it might help keep the fans in the stadium while you get your ass kicked.

I wish I was a member of the Pittsburgh media just so I could ask Whiz how it feels to be on the other side of the ass whooping.

revefsreleets
09-26-2007, 08:14 AM
And it's still hot around here, so this would have little to no effect on these guys even if they did open the roof. In fact, it would probably more adversely effect the Cards, who more than likely practice in an AC facility.

Lord Stiller
09-26-2007, 08:16 AM
The only effect it will have is the Steelers will likely rotate their D-line more often with Chris Hoke and Eason getting more playing time. They are both pretty good so its not a big deal

Steelerstrength
09-26-2007, 11:53 AM
I doubt Whiz thinks the dry hear of Arizona will bother the Steelers. He know s damn well how hot and humid it can get in the Pittsburgh area.

Leave the roof closed Whiz, it might help keep the fans in the stadium while you get your ass kicked.

That dry heat is nothing compared to humidity. :iagree:

But it is always a concern if your players aren't well-hydrated. Don't be out drinking the night before a game in the heat.

The cards are not foretelling a good game for the Cards. Piss on the Wiz!:monkey:

Dino 6 Rings
09-26-2007, 12:02 PM
so who is even starting QB for the Cards? Well...it won't matter. After 4 sacks on the starter and a pick, it'll be the other guy in the 4th quarter trying to bring his team back from 24 points down...then he'll eat grass and throw a pick too...it doesn't matter...the Steelers will be victorious. Better coaches, better players. Want to know why Wiz and Grimm didn't get the job? Look at all the personal foul penalties from last year, the lack of effort throughout the year, the lack of big plays, the lack of O-line play, the lack of special teams play...and you'll realize, we didn't need more of that. Complete regime change was required. Now the Cards will get to see what happens when the Steelers clicking on all cylinders are all about. Whooping followed by a side of Beat Down.

rbryan
09-26-2007, 12:03 PM
The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire.

Of couse the roof will be open. Those things are expensive, not exactly chump change to replace when it gets blown off. lol

prodrivewrx2nv
09-26-2007, 12:16 PM
The fact that they are doing this shows how afraid they are of us. More reason to walk all over them!

rbryan
09-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Not much point to close the roof in an attempt to gain an advantage with the noise factor. Half the stadium will be wearing Black and Gold

GaryGlick
09-26-2007, 12:48 PM
I was disappointed when I read this morning that they would probably have the roof closed. I would prefer to see the Steelers whoop their butts in the heat, especially with Tomlin wearing his "mental warfare" grim reaper outfit. So I love this news!

SteelerFanInCA
09-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Roof open or closed, I will be at the game Sunday with terrible towels in hand, cheering on the black & gold to victory.

It will not make a difference on the roof because eventually we are going to blow the roof off. :tt02::tt02::tt02:

Haiku_Dirtt
09-26-2007, 01:46 PM
BAD IDEA!!!!:angel: Don't they know God is a Steelers fan?

83-Steelers-43
09-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Open or closed...does it really matter? We are going to stomp a mud hole eitherway.

Hines0wnz
09-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Stories like this only originate from perennial losing teams. Good teams dont need BS tactics to win (except NE of course :wink02:).

TackleMeBen
09-26-2007, 02:48 PM
the steelers better check for unwanted cameramen on the sidelines in cardinals gear...lol... that would be the only way they can beat the steelers

Stlrs4Life
09-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Jacksonville always pulls the same to us when we play down there for a day game at 1PM. It will not matter.

Haiku_Dirtt
09-26-2007, 04:22 PM
the steelers better check for unwanted cameramen on the sidelines in cardinals gear...lol... that would be the only way they can beat the steelers

Family Feud...excellent graphic. A++

Just look at Tomlin. Like "napalm in the morning". Just the way he looks "smells like VICTORY!!!"

Grimm should probably join in on a few drills.

NJarhead
09-26-2007, 07:55 PM

As did the Buc's 3 years in a row (or 3x in four years) making us wear black early in the season. Then Sapp screwed up and danced through our stretches each time. In any event, the Steelers were hot, but not in terms of temp and it was the Buc's who were "sweatin' like Mike Tyson at a spelling bee" through much of those games.

BTW - I heard the roof will be closed and the Cards are wearing Red.

Steeler in Carolina
09-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Does the NFL not control whether the roof is open or not? I don't know, but it seems to me that they would want to be in control of that situation. Also, if the roof is open, half the fans will not show up. Before the new stadium, attendance was horrible.

Sharkissle29
09-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Roof open or closed, I will be at the game Sunday with terrible towels in hand, cheering on the black & gold to victory.

It will not make a difference on the roof because eventually we are going to blow the roof off. :tt02::tt02::tt02:

as will i! here we go steelers, here we go!

jjpro11
09-27-2007, 12:54 AM
Does the NFL not control whether the roof is open or not? I don't know, but it seems to me that they would want to be in control of that situation. Also, if the roof is open, half the fans will not show up. Before the new stadium, attendance was horrible.

they should regulate it for the safety of the players and fans. you dont want fans passing out in the stands while watching a game because of the heat. it certainly is not good for the players either with how large most of them are.

SteelersMongol
09-27-2007, 09:00 AM
If this is true, this isn't WISE Whiz!

varmintjcl
09-27-2007, 09:33 AM
I live in Az & I can say "It won't matter". Sunday will be in the low 90's with next to no humidity and it will be a beautiful day, let them open the roof, or close it who cares, the cards can't play football, never could no matter who the coaches are. I haven't seen any head coach last more than a couple years with them so whiz better keep looking or get ready to retire like all his predecessors.

LVSteelersfan
09-27-2007, 04:54 PM

They will open the roof and film it from a bogus Goodyear blimp to steal the signals. ROFLMAO

Borski
09-27-2007, 05:35 PM
heres the most I found on the issue

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18854145&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478568&rfi=6
ROOF FACTOR

A few weeks ago, Tomlin said that he expected the Cardinals to open the roof for their game with the Steelers at the University of Phoenix Stadium. Yesterday, Tomlin again speculated that the retractable roof will be opened. But either way, isn't losing any sleep over the matter.

"It depends on the weather ... I expect it too be hot, so I expect it to be open," he said. "But we're not going to concern ourselves with variables that don't matter. The quality of our play is going to determine how we perform, and I mean that.

"Some of the things people spend time talking about are irrelevant to me in terms of preparing to play a football game," Tomlin added.

The NFL has a standard policy for stadiums with retractable domes.

The policy dictates that the home team will decide whether to open the roof 90 minutes before kickoff. If the game begins with the roof open, it will be closed only if a hazardous condition develops or if it begins to rain.

The roof will not be closed for rain any time after the five-minute mark of the fourth quarter (including overtime).

When the Cardinals hosted and beat the Seattle Seahawks on Sept. 16, the roof of their stadium was closed because 100-degree temperatures outside.

"We don't have control over the weather, so we don't worry about it," Tomlin said.

figg
09-27-2007, 07:12 PM
roast your fans :wink02: :sofunny:

revefsreleets
09-28-2007, 08:28 AM
"Some of the things people spend time talking about are irrelevant to me in terms of preparing to play a football game," Tomlin added.

Ha! I guess it's safe to assume we'll never see Mike Tomlin hanging around Steelers message boards, then!