PDA

View Full Version : Every Unbeaten is a Super Bowl Contender (Steelers)

alittlejazzbird
09-26-2007, 02:25 PM
I'm including pieces of this article, and a link to the whole thing at the end....
Opinion: Every unbeaten is a Super Bowl contender
Pats, Cowboys, Colts, Steelers, Packers all worthy of early adulation
OPINION
By Dave Goldberg
The Associated Press
Updated: 6:36 p.m. ET Sept 24, 2007

It will happen as sure as there are 24-hour sports television networks.

Some time this week, a voice will intone dramatically: ?Stay tuned to find out why the Patriots-Cowboys game next month is a preview of the Super Bowl.?

Best idea? Tune out.

Yes, New England and Dallas have emerged as the NFL?s two best teams over the first three weeks and are likely to be 5-0 when they meet at Texas Stadium on Oct. 14. It may even be hard for the Patriots to keep in under 38 points a game. Their next two are with Cleveland and Cincinnati, who may not be able to hold them down that much.

But the other three unbeaten teams ? Indianapolis, Pittsburgh and, yes, Green Bay ? have a chance to be in Arizona, too.

After three weeks, this has turned into a different kind of year, one where the salary-cap imposed parity of the last 15 seasons seems to have been reversed. There is a distinct upper class in the NFL, much like there was through the 1980s and early ?90s.

Try to think of legitimate contenders beyond the top five and you come up with some lukewarm possibilities that are quite likely to make the playoffs, but less likely to really contend for a championship.

They include talented San Diego, if its players ever get on the same page; Chicago if it somehow manages to find a way around its negative quarterback situation; Baltimore if it stops letting teams back in games late; Tampa Bay, whose defense seems to be returning to its form of five years ago; and perhaps Seattle. And maybe Philadelphia if it plays up to Sunday?s win over Detroit, hopefully in less outlandish uniforms.

But here?s why those top five are the top five:

Pittsburgh
These guys won the Super Bowl two seasons ago. They slipped to 8-8 last year for a variety of reasons: Ben Roethlisberger?s injuries and ailments; post Super Bowl malaise; a coach, Bill Cowher, who may have subconsciously been looking ahead to his current sabbatical.

But remember the Steelers went 6-2 in the second half of 2006. The talent is still there, Mike Tomlin has the energy that Cowher may not have had last year, and they?ve outscored the opposition 97-26 in three games. OK, that opposition wasn?t the best available, but it?s still the NFL.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20961010/

83-Steelers-43
09-26-2007, 02:27 PM
This should make many happy....

alittlejazzbird
09-26-2007, 02:28 PM
This should make many happy....

Actually, what made me personally happy....no mention of Cincinnati even in the "lukewarm" category!!!!!

83-Steelers-43
09-26-2007, 02:29 PM
The guy should have just flat out stated the Steelers are going to win the Super Bowl. There we go.

alittlejazzbird
09-26-2007, 02:30 PM
I liked it better over the summer when we were far off everyone's radar and not worthy of even a tiny mention. But hey, that's life in the 24/7 media world.

verks36
09-26-2007, 02:31 PM
I dont know when evey one says are oppistion is so bad when look who the pats have played. IT is crazy every time some one mentions we are 3-0 they always have to tag on the fact that the teams we played sucked. Cant they just leave it at they are 3-0 period.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Actually, what made me personally happy....no mention of Cincinnati even in the "lukewarm" category!!!!!

Guilty!!!....I am going to sit in front of the television Monday night with a big bowl of popcorn and LMAO as the bengal secondary starts running into each other and fall down like a bunch of keystone cops!!!!
I may have to even stay up and watch Marvin Lewis try and convince everyone that THEY dont know what is REALLY going on.....while doing his best impersonation of the Iraqi Defense Minister during the Gulf War...."Pay no attention to the American Tanks in the background...it is all propaganda...there is NO TRUTH to the rumor that the Americans are invading".

Hines0wnz
09-26-2007, 02:45 PM
I think its too early to give Dallas high praise. Who have they beaten? The Giants who cant stop a high school team from scoring this year, the Dolphins who cant even beat the Jets and the Bears who have traditional issues at QB but perhaps have found that luck can only carry your team for so long. The NFL is an AFC dominated league right now with the same good teams (Steelers, Patsies & Colts) being the best every season. I know for arguments sake that the Steelers havent played any contending teams yet either but the swagger they had prior to last season is back. They expect to win.

tony hipchest
09-26-2007, 02:49 PM
I dont know when evey one says are oppistion is so bad when look who the pats have played. IT is crazy every time some one mentions we are 3-0 they always have to tag on the fact that the teams we played sucked. Cant they just leave it at they are 3-0 period.its because patfans think the jets and chargers are very good teams on the cusp of excellence. steelerfans pretty much think the browns and bills suck.

Dino 6 Rings
09-26-2007, 04:38 PM
agreed, anyone the Pats play are "contenders" even if they are playing a bills team that just got slapped in the face and punched in the mouth by the steelers and are playing clean up to our beat down. "bills are a good team" when they play the pats...funny how all of a sudden the browns were one second away from a 2-1 start and now they suck again cause the bengals aren't that good...so that explains the browns one win. Nothing said about a very good raiders defense though...nope...

San Diego + Norv Turner = Loss to Pats
Jets + Chad (can't throw the ball 20 yards) Pennington = Loss to Pats
Bills + Just got crushed by Pittsburgh = Loss to Pats...

I'm more impressed with Indy
Beat down the Saints
Beat a good Tennessee team in Tennessee
Beat a getting better Houston team in Houston

Those are legit wins.
Steelers beat a bad first game Browns team
Steelers beat a supposed to be good bills team
Steelers beat a 2-0 49ers team that many think will win the NFC West.

Pats...yawn...see what happens when Moss takes a big hit and starts taking plays off...then talk to me.

Haiku_Dirtt
09-26-2007, 04:41 PM
Steelers and the Cowboys in the Super Bowl AGAIN. Why won't the NFL just get a little more orginal? :yawn:

rog
09-26-2007, 06:06 PM
The problem with all the "experts" is they allways go with the sexy safe picks and with teams that have guys like Bady and Romo (which by the way Romo fell apart fast than wet toliet paper last year). They never think the Steelers are for real because they can't see past the pretty boys. So much for the 49ers really testing the Steelers D sunday like alot of them thought they would. They could barely stay competitive.

wadester47
09-26-2007, 06:16 PM
ok ,
lets take it for what it is right now, it is a compliment steeler fans. we have been the most consistent team over the past 15 years ( excluding the pre - ben year and last year )but over all we have been consistent- consistently good.

feel good for once being 3-0
everyone lighten up, Go STILLERS!!!!!!!!!!

Stlrs4Life
09-26-2007, 07:05 PM
I think the article is all relevant.

NateC
09-26-2007, 07:05 PM
:cheer:
I like that . Ill ride the high that we could go Undefeated in O7, WOuld be sick, 07 STEELERS 16-0 and a Super Bowl Win.
:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

83-Steelers-43
09-26-2007, 08:00 PM
:cheer:
I like that . Ill ride the high that we could go Undefeated in O7, WOuld be sick, 07 STEELERS 16-0 and a Super Bowl Win.
:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

Bingo.

Preacher
09-26-2007, 08:06 PM

:sofunny::sofunny:

God love you for that!!

Preacher
09-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Guilty!!!....I am going to sit in front of the television Monday night with a big bowl of popcorn and LMAO as the bengal secondary starts running into each other and fall down like a bunch of keystone cops!!!!
I may have to even stay up and watch Marvin Lewis try and convince everyone that THEY dont know what is REALLY going on.....while doing his best impersonation of the Iraqi Defense Minister during the Gulf War...."Pay no attention to the American Tanks in the background...it is all propaganda...there is NO TRUTH to the rumor that the Americans are invading".

Oh man.... that was hilarious!!!