PDA

View Full Version : Tomlins weekly Q&A with steelers digest

tony hipchest
09-26-2007, 07:06 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/82271/

Q. When you were hired here, how difficult was it to allow the team to stay with a defensive system with which you weren?t most familiar?

A. Not difficult at all. To me, that?s all ago-driven when people come in and believe they have to put their stamp on things. Why would you fix something that?s not broken? That?s just me. I?m more interested in winning than anything else, and that allows us to win. We have great players, we have a great system, we have great coaches. That decision was very easy for me.

Q. Isn?t that an unusual attitude for a head coach in the NFL?

A. I?m sure it is, and I don?t know why that it is. I just know what?s right for me, in terms of my mind-set and my decision-making. The story doesn?t have to be me, what I do. The story has to be what we do, and what we?re capable of doing as a team.

Q. When you first looked at this defense, what did you think of it, both in terms of personnel and scheme?

A. I?m a student of the game. It wasn?t the first time I exposed myself to this defense, when I realized I was a candidate for this job. I had studied them the three previous offseasons since they were No. 1 in the league in defense in 2004. I had done a week?s study on this defense during every offseason since 2004, so I?m familiar what the players are capable of, and I have a great deal of respect for them.
so tomlin is just a student of the game that is not looking to be the face of the franchise for the next 15 years. :jawdrop: you mean the "face" goes back to the players? :dang:

very interresting he would spend a week of study time towards the best defenses every offseason since 04.

they say that a team often takes on the personality of its head coach. i hope all the players become film junkies and students like him. (it propelled him to one of the finest coaching job in sports)

Stlrs4Life
09-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Very good read tony. If that's the case we are headed in the right direction.

Haiku_Dirtt
09-27-2007, 05:32 AM
He's ALL BUSINESS. I love this guy.

To find a loose comparison I have to reset the Pete Carroll topic.

ALL BUSINESS. :thumbsup:

alittlejazzbird
09-27-2007, 10:27 AM
He's ALL BUSINESS. I love this guy.

To find a loose comparison I have to reset the Pete Carroll topic.

ALL BUSINESS. :thumbsup:

Bill Belichick is all business, too, but he's a cold, evasive and unpleasant man who certainly has the respect, but probably not the personal regard, of his players.

Tomlin, on the other hand, is all business, but he has a twinkle in his eye and an obvious high level of respect for all his players. His dealings with the media are direct and he answers every question he's asked by looking people straight in the eye. Underneath all the businesslike professionalism, there is a warm heart (and probably a great sense of humor) that radiates from him everytime he speaks. He already has the respect and admiration of his players, and it will only grow with time.

That's what I love about Tomlin. He has all the right stuff to be a successful coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers, but he is also, fundamentally, a good human being. I would never, ever say that about Belichick.

HometownGal
09-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Bill Belichick is all business, too, but he's a cold, evasive and unpleasant man who certainly has the respect, but probably not the personal regard, of his players.

Tomlin, on the other hand, is all business, but he has a twinkle in his eye and an obvious high level of respect for all his players. His dealings with the media are direct and he answers every question he's asked by looking people straight in the eye. Underneath all the businesslike professionalism, there is a warm heart (and probably a great sense of humor) that radiates from him everytime he speaks. He already has the respect and admiration of his players, and it will only grow with time.

That's what I love about Tomlin. He has all the right stuff to be a successful coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers, but he is also, fundamentally, a good human being. I would never, ever say that about Belichick.

Great post jazzy! :thumbsup: You said it all in a nutshell. Though Tomlin is indeed a professional where business comes first, he exuberates a warmth from within that is truly a rarity these days among pro sports coaches.

You did forget to mention, though, the other glaring difference between Tomlin and Belidick - Tomlin is brutally honest almost to a fault and would never - EVER - feel the need to cheat to win. :cheers: