PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals admit facing Steelers is special

stillers4me
09-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Cardinals admit facing Steelers is special
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, September 26, 2007

TEMPE, Ariz. - There's more to Steelers-Cardinals than just the first meeting of the season of two first-year NFL head coaches, and center Chukky Okobi knows it.
"It's the guys who almost got the job vs. the guys that did," said Okobi, released by the Steelers at the conclusion of training camp and snatched up by Arizona. "And not just the coaches, either.

"I guess it's a grudge match."

Although in this instance, "grudge" is relative.

"I don't think the people that are here are angry. I'm not angry," Okobi said. "I would rather have stayed and played for my hometown team. Russ (Grimm) only played or coached at two places (Pittsburgh and Washington) his whole life. Now, we're out in the desert.
"This isn't necessarily how any of us would have written this story, but it is what it is."

The new-look Cardinals, under first-year head coach and former Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, are composed, in part, of nine coaches or staff members and six players with Steelers ties.

Grimm, Whisenhunt's offensive line coach and assistant head coach, was a finalist for the Steelers job before the team opted for Mike Tomlin.

"A decision was made," Grimm said. "You move on.

"Whether it's bragging rights, anything, sure, it means a little more. But when you look at it, my say-so is going to be done during the week. The players are going to decide what happens on the field, not me, not coach Whisenhunt, not anybody else."

Cardinals special teams coach Kevin Spencer, another who made the migration from Pittsburgh to Arizona, has found preparation a challenge, given the circumstances.

"It really struck me Monday and Tuesday, writing up the scouting report," Spencer said. "It was really kind of surreal that you're writing up a report to tell your new team the strengths and weakness of the kids you spent five years with. It was a little weird game-planning against the guys you've been working heart and soul with for five years."

Spencer, with his 11th high school, college or NFL team in a coaching career that began in 1975, is used to change, but he has struggled with this one.

"My kids still say they miss Pittsburgh," he said. "Of all the places that I've been, that was home, the neighbors, the people that you worked with at the Steelers, the community, my kids in school.

"It was a hard move for a lot of reasons. You find yourself sometimes saying 'we' and 'us' when you're referring to them, and it's not really cool to do that, but it was hard to lose that. It really creeps into your soul and your bones and everything else. We were part of a storied franchise, and we won a lot of football games.

"That's not something you dismiss easily."

Added wide receiver/special-teamer Sean Morey, another Pittsburgh-to-Arizona transplant: "It's gonna be fun, because I'll have an opportunity to play against some of my closest friends. I mean, the three years I spent in Pittsburgh were three of the best years I've had in my life.

"The trash-talking has already begun, the texting and the messages. This is going to be a fun game. I'm going to enjoy it. I'm going to enjoy every snap."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_529563.html

Atlanta Dan
09-26-2007, 10:25 PM
"I don't think the people that are here are angry. I'm not angry," Okobi said. "I would rather have stayed and played for my hometown team. Russ (Grimm) only played or coached at two places (Pittsburgh and Washington) his whole life. Now, we're out in the desert.

"This isn't necessarily how any of us would have written this story, but it is what it is."

Okobi talks as if he was traded to a NFL team in the Middle East:sofunny:

verks36
09-26-2007, 10:30 PM
great article

this game measn so much more to the cardinals than to us. They want to show the rooneys they made the wrong dicisio.

STeelers vs JV STEELERS

jjpro11
09-27-2007, 12:50 AM

Okobi talks as if he was traded to a NFL team in the Middle East:sofunny:

its not very often that you hear players say anything remotely good about the team that just cut them. i think it says something about the steelers and the comradery of the team.

Galax Steeler
09-27-2007, 03:25 AM
I can't wait for this game it is going to be good.

Steel Pit
09-27-2007, 05:21 AM
I like the 4:00 PM start. I think that I may have to drink a few cold ones for the first time this season:cheers:.

Buzz05
09-27-2007, 07:14 AM
I kinda feel bad. I was watching the cards last sunday against the Rat Birds and I was really pulling for them to win...but now this Sunday I hope they go down like dogs...O well...

I wonder how many stories ESPN/CBS is going to run on Sunday about the Tomlin-WIz/Grimm match up...

Atlanta Dan
09-27-2007, 07:39 AM
its not very often that you hear players say anything remotely good about the team that just cut them. i think it says something about the steelers and the comradery of the team.

It is nice to hear those words from Okobi if you are a Steelers fan, but if i was in the Cardinals organization or a Cardinals fan I would tell a marginal talent like Okobi don't let the door hit you on the way out and see if the team you really want to play for will take you back.

Imagine the reaction on this board if Alan Rossum said those sorts of comments and claimed he would prefer to be back in Atlanta.

SteelersMongol
09-27-2007, 08:51 AM
I kinda feel bad. I was watching the cards last sunday against the Rat Birds and I was really pulling for them to win...but now this Sunday I hope they go down like dogs...O well...

I wonder how many stories ESPN/CBS is going to run on Sunday about the Tomlin-WIz/Grimm match up...

Same for me. I kind of feel that Cards are "related" with the Steelers in lot of ways. Was hoping they'd whip the Ratbirds, but they fell short.

Now this week, it's a sad thing to watch so many of our brethren are on the other side of the line, like Civil war or something. But oh well. Gotta move on. :tt02:

HometownGal
09-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Let's see how "special" the Cards feel when those final seconds are ticking off the clock and the Steelers have Win #4. :tt02:

TackleMeBen
09-27-2007, 09:50 AM
Let's see how "special" the Cards feel when those final seconds are ticking off the clock and the Steelers have Win #4. :tt02:
i would prefer to see how special the cards feel when they are in the locker room fighting over the ice packs, b/c they will be needing them when our D is done making them eat the turf :tt02::tt02::tt02:

83-Steelers-43
09-27-2007, 10:04 AM
It is nice to hear those words from Okobi if you are a Steelers fan, but if i was in the Cardinals organization or a Cardinals fan I would tell a marginal talent like Okobi don't let the door hit you on the way out and see if the team you really want to play for will take you back.

Imagine the reaction on this board if Alan Rossum said those sorts of comments and claimed he would prefer to be back in Atlanta.

I was actually surprised by Okobi's comments. I thought he would take a shot or two at the organization. After making these comments before he was cut......

"I don't know anything. I know I haven't done anything wrong. I haven't played bad. I missed 10 days with an injury, but I've done absolutely nothing wrong. I've done everything in my power to put myself in the best position. I think I've done a pretty good job."

and if I also recall correctly, Okobi and his agent publicly stated that they expected Okobi to get the starting job here in Pittsburgh. I've been trying to find the article with the exact quotes, but I can't find it.

Eitherway, classy move by Okobi. Good to see he doesn't hold any grudges against his former coaching staff. Then again, maybe he does? If he does he's doing a good job of covering it up and saving it for the field. I wish the guy the best and I wish the Cardinals organization all the best (except for this Sunday).

Buzz05
09-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Nothing against Cowher...but i always got worried when we faced one of his prrotege's in a game. Dom Capers...Lebuae...Malarky....they all made me nervouse because Cowher was never one to change his game plan. The old assistants knew what was coming in what situation.

For some reason this week I am confident they are going to get the job done. Maybe its Wiz not working for Tomlin but I am a lot more confident then i have been in the past

jjpro11
09-27-2007, 03:22 PM

i know what you're saying.. i bet rossum felt like he hit the lotto when he got out of that mess in atlanta. his wife sure felt that way being a steelers fan all along.

Atlanta Dan
09-27-2007, 08:14 PM
i know what you're saying.. i bet rossum felt like he hit the lotto when he got out of that mess in atlanta. his wife sure felt that way being a steelers fan all along.

Jeff Schulz with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution mentions Rossum in his weekly football picks column

Steelers at Cardinals: Oh, and look: Allen Rossum returned a kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown and didn?t get arrested, suspended, fined or stoned. He?d never make it here. Pitt covers the six. :sofunny:

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/sportscolumns/entries/2007/09/27/schaub_satisfie.html

aries4972
09-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Okobi probably won't even play... the guy had six years to prove he could start in this league and he could'nt....... and that was playing for a coach who obviously liked him a lot. I don't think this is as big a game for Wiz as it is for Grimm. ..didnt Wiz take the Arizona job BEFORE the Rooneys made a decision on the head coach??? I think Grimm Was POed.

QyitStorrm
09-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Okobi's comments says a lot about the quality of the Steelers organization. Now, if I was a Cardinals fan, his comments wouldn't sit too well with me either, but guess what? I'm not a Cardinals fan and it sits pretty dayum well with me. I think it's safe to say that Spencer still bleeds Black and Gold also.

blackandgoldman
09-28-2007, 11:56 PM
whats so special? one more win for the steelers and one more loss for the cards.