PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Big Ben, Cards' Whisenhunt hold back

stillers4me
09-26-2007, 11:23 PM
Steelers' Big Ben, Cards' Whisenhunt hold back
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Ben Roethlisberger took the diplomatic route. Ken Whisenhunt lavished praise on the quarterback he coached for three seasons as the Steelers' offensive coordinator.
Neither came within two football fields of saying anything incendiary or controversial about the relationship they had when they were with the Steelers.

It has come across that their final year together was strained, in no small part because of comments Roethlisberger has made since Whisenhunt left Pittsburgh to become head coach of the Arizona Cardinals.

It is a hot topic of discussion this week because the Steelers play the Cardinals at 4 p.m. Sunday.

"We had a good relationship and we haven't really spoken since (Whisenhunt left)," Roethlisberger said Wednesday. "No hard feelings either way, I think."
His response to the first question he was asked by reporters who loitered near his locker seemed programmed. It suggested that Steelers coach Mike Tomlin yesterday morning talked to Roethlisberger about more than playing within himself (i.e. not trying to do too much to stick it to Whisenhunt).

Tomlin also might have cautioned Roethlisberger to watch what he said regarding Whisenhunt, lest it become another rallying point for the Cardinals, who have a handful of ex-Steeler coaches and players.

"I'm not going to bash anything about the last year," Roethlisberger said, "or any of the years, because we won a Super Bowl and were very successful."

Roethlisberger is off to the kind of start that suggests last season, when he threw the most interceptions (23) in the NFL, was an aberration.

He has completed nearly 60 percent of his passes and thrown for six touchdowns while being intercepted just once in leading the Steelers to the brink of their first 4-0 start since 1979.

"He looks confident in the pocket and certainly has made some plays moving out of the pocket, throwing down the field," Whisenhunt said, "a lot of the things that make Ben the quarterback that he is. He's playing with confidence."

At the NFL Combine in February, Whisenhunt said he didn't sense that sort of confidence from Roethlisberger in the pocket last season.

He attributed it to the trauma Roethlisberger went through before the season.

Roethlisberger took umbrage at what Whisenhunt said. Asked yesterday why it upset him, Roethlisberger said he "didn't feel it was accurate."

Whisenhunt said that in no way was he taking a shot at Roethlisberger, adding that he simply answered a question he had been asked with candor.

"I've always admired Ben from the way he's been able to fight back from injury," Whisenhunt said. "He's one of the toughest players I've ever been around because of some of the stuff I've seen him go through.

"I understand that Ben maybe thought I was saying some things I maybe shouldn't have said about him, and I understand that and certainly respect that."

Whisenhunt said he is happy that Roethlisberger seems to have rebounded from a disastrous season in 2006.

"I'm glad to see him have that success," Whisenhunt said. "I'm hoping he doesn't have great success against us."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_529594.html

stillers4me
09-26-2007, 11:25 PM
And I bet Whis is glad he didn't take that job in Atlanta......... :jawdrop:

Atlanta Dan
09-26-2007, 11:28 PM
And I bet Whis is glad he didn't take that job in Atlanta......... :jawdrop:

You think? :toofunny:

Sounds like Tomlin told Ben to put a lid on the "I like it around here so much more now" comments

Preacher
09-27-2007, 03:37 AM
I don't know....

I think maybe people were reading a little TOO much into what Ben was saying as well.

Tell you one thing though...

Thank goodness Ben isn't a second Joey Porter at the mouth!

NateC
09-27-2007, 04:34 AM
ID Take him Even if he was , A Fiery Leader with no Inabitions.

Atlanta Dan
09-27-2007, 08:48 AM
I don't know....

I think maybe people were reading a little TOO much into what Ben was saying as well.

Tell you one thing though...

Thank goodness Ben isn't a second Joey Porter at the mouth!

This Ben quote from today's P-G story apparently confirms Tomlin told Ben to zip it with regard to Whiz comments. Props to Tomlin for getting Ben to cool it.

Roethlisberger and Whisenhunt appeared to have a frosty relationship when they worked together, and it has come out since they separated. Neither said much of anything yesterday to further the feud, but it became so apparent to Tomlin that he had a talk with his quarterback about it yesterday, to make sure Roethlisberger is focused on beating the Cardinals, not Whisenhunt.

"We had a brief talk this morning about that," Roethlisberger said. "I am going to go out and do what I have to do to win the football game ...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07270/820885-66.stm

I wonder if the Cowher/Whiz-Ben frostiness ran since 2004 or became an issue only in 2006?

Since this is a Ben/Whiz thread, I will wait to see if someone else posts the linked P-G story with regard to some comments from Faneca about this year's camp being easier than Cowher camps.

83-Steelers-43
09-27-2007, 09:11 AM
"I certainly didn't mean to offend or upset Ben," Whisenhunt said yesterday. "I was asked a question and tried to answer the question honestly. I've always admired Ben the way he's been able to fight back from injuries. He's one of the toughest players I've ever been around."

I'm trying to figure out why Whiz has to explain himself or apologize to anybody when it comes to Roethlisberger. I can't wait until this week is over.

Lord Stiller
09-27-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm trying to figure out why Whiz has to explain himself or apologize to anybody when it comes to Roethlisberger. I can't wait until this week is over.

Big Ben needs to shut his mouth and focus on the game. He has a tendency to say really stupid things

"I think it's being smart," Roethlisberger said. "Last year, I felt like I knew the offense real well. Maybe I tried to do too much, knowing too much. This year, I know more, but I am not forcing it."

Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt, Roethlisberger's offensive coordinator the previous three seasons, suggested in February that, in hindsight, the coaches likely brought him back too soon from his appendectomy.

Roethlisberger took issue with that and reiterated yesterday he did not believe it to be the case.

"I certainly didn't mean to offend or upset Ben," Whisenhunt said yesterday. "I was asked a question and tried to answer the question honestly. I've always admired Ben the way he's been able to fight back from injuries. He's one of the toughest players I've ever been around."

Roethlisberger and Whisenhunt appeared to have a frosty relationship when they worked together, and it has come out since they separated. Neither said much of anything yesterday to further the feud, but it became so apparent to Tomlin that he had a talk with his quarterback about it yesterday, to make sure Roethlisberger is focused on beating the Cardinals, not Whisenhunt.

"We had a brief talk this morning about that," Roethlisberger said. "I am going to go out and do what I have to do to win the football game ...

"I am not going to bash anything about the last year or any of the years. We won a Super Bowl and were very successful. Of course, I am going to be happy with the system I am in now."

Roethlisberger was asked by the Arizona media yesterday if Whisenhunt was tough on him the way he's pushing Cardinals quarterback Matt Leinart.

"I know what Matt's going through," Roethlisberger answered, laughing.

Whisenhunt, appraised of that remark, asked a reporter in Arizona yesterday, "Is that good or bad? I think Ben had a couple of perfect passer ratings and I think he won a Super Bowl, so if that's a product of it, then that's not bad."

The Steelers' quarterback was harsher earlier this season when speaking about his former coaches compared to new coordinator Bruce Arians.

"We were so predictable -- run on first, run on second, throw on third-and-long -- and that killed us," Roethlisberger told USA Today Sports Weekly in training camp. "Last year, if we took a shot downfield and it was incomplete -- or, heaven forbid, intercepted -- we weren't throwing it again for a long time. And since we knew we were only throwing 15-20 times, we were so careful with doing this and that.

"It will be nice to know that Bruce isn't going to handcuff us.".

83-Steelers-43
09-27-2007, 09:45 AM
Big Ben needs to shut his mouth and focus on the game. He has a tendency to say really stupid things

You said it, not me....:sofunny:

If I were Whiz, I would take the high road and simply not bother answering questions when it comes to the whole Roethlisberger drama soap opera story.

A simple "next question" would be in his best interests and also make him the bigger man.

tony hipchest
09-27-2007, 10:20 AM
You said it, not me....:sofunny:

If I were Whiz, I would take the high road and simply not bother answering questions when it comes to the whole Roethlisberger drama soap opera story.

A simple "next question" would be in his best interests and also make him the bigger man.

too late.

Whisenhunt, appraised of that remark, asked a reporter in Arizona yesterday, "Is that good or bad? I think Ben had a couple of perfect passer ratings and I think he won a Super Bowl, so if that's a product of it, then that's not bad."
im suprised ken would even get into it that deep.

this whole "you were bad for me", "no i was good for you" back and forth is kinda dumb. its like having eva longoria leave you and you saying "well your boobs were never big enough for me anyways".

sure looks like you enjoyed playing with them at the time (the ex coaching staff :wink02:). sure were accepting those high fives when you were on top (of the football world :wink02:).

83-Steelers-43
09-27-2007, 10:23 AM

Good reply by Whiz even though I would just drop it and let Ben do the yapping. I particulary enjoyed the part about winning one of those things.......what are they called?!?!........yeah, not many QB's win one.......in their early 20's nonetheless.......oh yeah! A Super Bowl ring!

Eh, like I said....can't wait until this week is over and game time arrives. Then next week we can hear about how the Seahawks were cheated in XL and how many big macs Holmgren can put down in a 2 minute span.

TackleMeBen
09-27-2007, 10:55 AM
well at least this wasnt as bad as some of the stuff he has said... lol..

rog
09-27-2007, 11:13 AM
I think this whole thing between Ben and Whiz is all from the way last season went and the early offseason. Ben took almost all the blame for last season while Whiz was out there interviewing for a job promotion I could understand why Ben might be holding a bit of a grudge over that even though he did deserve alot of the blame. As far as Whiz not getting the Steelers job I thought that was good for Pittsburgh because their coordinators don't ussually pan out to well as headcoaches.

83-Steelers-43
09-27-2007, 11:18 AM
im suprised ken would even get into it that deep.

I'm guessing the guy could only sit back and take so many punches before he finally decided to stand up for himself. I can't say that I blame him, but like I said, I would have simply ignored the shots while also coming away the bigger man. It shouldn't be worth his time and air.

But, that's just the way I would have handled the situation and I can't blame the guy for the way he handled it. Who knows what else he could have said.

83-Steelers-43
09-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Ben took almost all the blame for last season while Whiz was out there interviewing for a job promotion I could understand why Ben might be holding a bit of a grudge over that even though he did deserve alot of the blame. As far as Whiz not getting the Steelers job I thought that was good for Pittsburgh because their coordinators don't ussually pan out to well as headcoaches.

I respectfully disagree rog. The coaching staff took more heat than anybody last season.

"They brought Ben back way too early"

"Cowher doesn't care about the team. He has North Carolina on his mind."

"Whisenhunt is thinking about his HC'ing future"

Ben was given a pass because of his decision to ride a motorcycle minus a helmet and a license on the city streets of Pittsburgh. He was given a pass because of his concussions. He was given a pass because of his surgery.

Ben took very little heat for last years failures. I'm not stating/arguing that he should or shouldn't have, but I am stating that he did not take nearly as much heat as the coaching staff did in this city. From fans in particular.

I agree with you completely on not hiring Whisenhunt. Personally, I thought he was going to be our next HC, but that's not what I wanted. Always hire outside of the organization when your shopping for a new HC (just my opinion).

Atlanta Dan
09-27-2007, 11:39 AM
So Tomlin tells Ben to lay off the Whiz comments and Ben (apparently unaware that it is not too hard to find out what you say to out of town reporters) then makes the crack about knowing what Leinart is going through?

I obviously am delighted Ben is doing a proficient job at QB so far, but this immature behavior does not reflect well on him and is a diss of Tomlin's apparent instructions to STFU (but then again Ben has already said Tomlin has no ground to comment on how much circumstances have changed since last season since Tomlin does not knwo what went on with the Steelers last season)

Hopefully after Sunday night Ben will have this out of his system - it is way beyond tiresome

fansince'76
09-27-2007, 11:40 AM
Hopefully after Sunday night Ben will have this out of his system - it is way beyond tiresome

At least it's not dogfighting. :wink02: :chuckle:

Atlanta Dan
09-27-2007, 11:42 AM
At least it's not dogfighting. :wink02: :chuckle:

Or failing your drug test while awaiting sentencing

rog
09-27-2007, 11:46 AM
I respectfully disagree rog. The coaching staff took more heat than anybody last season.

"They brought Ben back way too early"

"Cowher doesn't care about the team. He has North Carolina on his mind."

"Whisenhunt is thinking about his HC'ing future"

Ben was given a pass because of his decision to ride a motorcycle minus a helmet and a license on the city streets of Pittsburgh. He was given a pass because of his concussions. He was given a pass because of his surgery.

Ben took very little heat for last years failures. I'm not stating/arguing that he should or shouldn't have, but I am stating that he did not take nearly as much heat as the coaching staff did in this city. From fans in particular.

I agree with you completely on not hiring Whisenhunt. Personally, I thought he was going to be our next HC, but that's not what I wanted. Always hire outside of the organization when your shopping for a new HC (just my opinion).

MAybe it was just my close friends that made me think Ben took all the blame because all they did was blame him mostly for not wearing the helmet. I do believe that during the season Whiz thought he already had the Steelers job that was a big reason he didn't take one somewhere else the year before. Cowher may have taking alot of heat after the season but during the season all I heard was Ben this and Ben that but most of that was coming from my father-in-law (who wants them to get rid of every QB that throws a pick for the first time by the way) and guys at work that don't even pay much attention to the games in my opinion.

83-Steelers-43
09-27-2007, 11:53 AM
MAybe it was just my close friends that made me think Ben took all the blame because all they did was blame him mostly for not wearing the helmet. I do believe that during the season Whiz thought he already had the Steelers job that was a big reason he didn't take one somewhere else the year before. Cowher may have taking alot of heat after the season but during the season all I heard was Ben this and Ben that but most of that was coming from my father-in-law (who wants them to get rid of every QB that throws a pick for the first time by the way) and guys at work that don't even pay much attention to the games in my opinion.

Personally, I blamed him for riding the bike in the first place after being told to put it away by a number of people (including coaching staff), but that's a dead topic and it's in the past now. No point in getting into that story.

But like I said, I'm not arguing whether or not Ben deserved the free passes or the very little heat he did take, but the very small amount of heat Ben took in this city could not compare to the beating the coaching staff took every week.

At least from what I saw, read and heard last season.

Edman
09-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Ben took plenty of heat last year. From himself and from the fans. The WHOLE team took heat. The coaching staff for quitting, Ben for riding the bike, and the players for being fat cats.

Dino 6 Rings
09-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Talking blame? Cool...I blame Arizona for having the nerve to even schedule the Steelers...once Wiz looses both his starting QBs to "sack injuries" he'll be wishing he was still in Pittsburgh coordinating a real team instead of some desert mirage.

I blame the NFL schedulers for the PAIN the Cardinals are about to experience.

As for talking smack...Ben and Wiz had a good run, they both respect each other I'm sure, I'm sure they are both glad to have moved on after last years debacle. This is a new season for everyone, the game will be played sunday, and Wiz will be watching game film from his team's loss thinking "Dick really is an awesome Defensive Mind" and "Ben really is good."

LVSteelersfan
09-27-2007, 05:43 PM
I blame the NFL schedulers for the PAIN the Cardinals are about to experience.

Had this same conversation with AZ fans on their site. The schedules for who plays who are SET IN STONE every year. There is nothing that they do to make the schedules easy except maybe for scheduling big games for some teams after their bye weeks or giving some teams an easy schedule early in the season or late in the season. As soon as the last game was played last year, they knew what the Steelers schedule was. We would have played the Cardinals this year no matter what because we play the NFC West this year. So the so called schedulers had nothing to do with anything.

People are ragging on us for our easy schedule without realizing that the schedules are known years in advance except for the two same conference games that are played against the 1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place, 4th place teams from the year before. (i.e. we get the 3rd place schedule against the AFC South and AFC West from last year).

Sorry, but it bugs me when people make statements like that one. But yes, the Cardinals WILL FEEL THE PAIN. lol