PDA

View Full Version : Steelers of late always slow to get respect

thebus36idf
09-27-2007, 07:30 PM
Hey I still haven't heard much about the steelers around sports t.v. or radio. This seems to be the case over, and over including our championchip year. All I hear is:blah::blah: about the Colts & Patriots, and even the Chargers, and how sooooooo talented they are. We have the youngest quaterback ever to win a superbowl. Not to mention his rookie starting record. We constantly are among the elite in defense, and all I hear about is the Ravens. Our running back is running for 100 yards a game time, and time again, and all I hear is L.T., and Larry Johnson. Where is all the black, and Gold around the sports stories? Last years numbers were among the top in the NFL if it weren't for all the int's. I am sick, and could just laugh when we were predicted to come in 3rd in our division amongst sports writers. Yeah The Ravens kicked our butts last year, but we beat the bangels to finish the season, and shoul have beat them inthe first game. We definitly outplayed them. They'll jump on the bandwagon at about week 14 after we go after the Pats.
Peace & Grace- Black & Gold

tony hipchest
09-27-2007, 07:46 PM
shhhh.

dont blow our cover.

were flying under the radar.

we like being the underdogs.

or do we? :huh:

:willy:

verks36
09-27-2007, 08:07 PM
WOWOWOWOWOW

I witnesed the most disrespectful thing TODAY on ESPN.
ON Jim Rome is Burning
The sports analysis Just said quote,

"Yes the Patriots are the real deal looking ahead at their schedule the only teams who will be underdogs by less than a touchdown are the COLTS AND THE COWBOYS."

NOT the STEELERS ARE YOU JOKING ME

jjpro11
09-27-2007, 08:21 PM
i have to disagree with you. i have seen us a ton on espn and the front page of various football websites. allan rossum was just on espn first take yesterday. everywhere i have seen has us in the top 3 or 4.. thats not really flying under the radar imo.

tony hipchest
09-27-2007, 09:06 PM
WOWOWOWOWOW

ON Jim Rome is Burning

"Yes the Patriots are the real deal looking ahead at their schedule the only teams who will be underdogs by less than a touchdown are the COLTS AND THE COWBOYS."

NOT the STEELERS ARE YOU JOKING MEyeah, youre right! the steelers should atleast only be the underdogs by 4.

:rolleyes:

.24lockdown
09-27-2007, 09:12 PM
i find this to be true as well. and they love to point out that our competition has been weak.
willie parker is the nfl's leading rusher in yards and i have barely heard 2 words about him.

Borski
09-27-2007, 11:40 PM
WOWOWOWOWOW

ON Jim Rome is Burning

we're not underdogs by less than a touchdown because the Pats are the Underdogs in the game:wink02:

verks36
09-27-2007, 11:54 PM
we're not underdogs by less than a touchdown because the Pats are the Underdogs in the game:wink02:

lol good way to think about it

83-Steelers-43
09-28-2007, 12:01 AM
Media doesn't show us enough love.

Media showing us love is a bad thing. Better to stay under the radar.

:blah::blah::blah:

Praise us, hate us....I don't really care. Scratch that, I do not care in the least bit. The final score after four quarters is all I care about.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-28-2007, 12:16 AM
I love being the underdog because I enjoy listening to the media jerkoffs say how they knew that the Steelers were gonna do this, and be this, and win this...but when the predictions came out before the season the Steelers were third in the division at best (yes, some picked Cleveland to finish above us), no where near talented enough to even compete for the playoffs, and most had us at 7-9 at best...not even .500!

But what sucks for me when it comes to the underdog role...I live in Cleveland. I don't get much Steeler news here if I cannot get online for a little while. So if ESPN isn't talking about the Steelers because we're "off the radar", then I miss out on some important stuff.

BlackGoldBlood
09-28-2007, 01:22 AM
Only thing that bothers me is that the fact the Steelers are so underrated is a really bad comment about the quality of general football analysis in the media.

If you measure quality of a team by how well they do in the playoffs, and measure the strength of a team by what it has done in recent years (say the past 6 years), the rank goes #1 Pats #2 Steelers #3 Colts.

I think the Steelers are seen as kind of villains. The bad guys that are always one of the best and who actually not only win football games but do long term damage to teams through physical play and pure intimidation. I like that. Much rather be a fan of this bad-ass team than the fairy-tale teams in New England and Indianapolis.

jack4patriots
09-28-2007, 02:38 AM
Hey I still haven't heard much about the steelers around sports t.v. or radio. This seems to be the case over, and over including our championchip year. All I hear is:blah::blah: about the Colts & Patriots, and even the Chargers, and how sooooooo talented they are. We have the youngest quaterback ever to win a superbowl. Not to mention his rookie starting record. We constantly are among the elite in defense, and all I hear about is the Ravens. Our running back is running for 100 yards a game time, and time again, and all I hear is L.T., and Larry Johnson. Where is all the black, and Gold around the sports stories? Last years numbers were among the top in the NFL if it weren't for all the int's. I am sick, and could just laugh when we were predicted to come in 3rd in our division amongst sports writers. Yeah The Ravens kicked our butts last year, but we beat the bangels to finish the season, and shoul have beat them inthe first game. We definitly outplayed them. They'll jump on the bandwagon at about week 14 after we go after the Pats.
Peace & Grace- Black & Gold

The Steelers are & have been one of the 3 power teams over the past several years...IMO, the 3 include your Steelers, my Patriots and the Colts. I think thats pretty easy to agree upon.

I think fans of each team looks forward to the games when we play one another as the highlights of our respective seasons. It's wierd now that all 3 of us have won SB's recently. I laughed at Charger fans who were trying to tell me they were one of the elite teams...now look at them....bottom line is "ya gotta earn it"! and that is only done by consistently being at or near the top over several years.

Our game will be one to get all fired up over. But we have a long wait ahead.

here's to both teams staying healthy so we can be at our best for that game. Your fans always travel up to New England for the games you play us...can't miss the ol' black & gold!

jack4patriots
09-28-2007, 02:46 AM
WOWOWOWOWOW

ON Jim Rome is Burning

Either Rome forgot the Patriots were playing the Steelers or he's just stupid.

Steel Pit
09-28-2007, 06:45 AM
Media doesn't show us enough love.

Media showing us love is a bad thing. Better to stay under the radar.

:blah::blah::blah:

Praise us, hate us....I don't really care. Scratch that, I do not care in the least bit. The final score after four quarters is all I care about.

83-Steelers-43 is EXACTLY RIGHT! In years past, when the media started praising the Steelers, the Steelers started losing games that they should have been winning.
It was as if the Steelers players started believing the hype and they began to play with less intensity.

Look at all of the Cowher teams that were "media favorites" to win the AFC and move on to the Super Bowl. Well as we all know it worked against us most of the time.
Cowher's one Super Bowl victory was achieved when we were the underdogs, the un-mentioned, so let's roll with that again this season and see what happens.

prodrivewrx2nv
09-28-2007, 08:31 AM
I'm just sick of the media still talking about Ben's accident and his appendectomy. It's almost as if they are trying to jinx him....

We are definitely going to beat the Pats.....

HometownGal
09-28-2007, 09:26 AM
I'm with 83 on this one. Who the hell cares what the media thinks or doesn't think? We know what these Steelers are made of and from their play thus far, so does the coaching staff and team, so why get your panties in a bunch over what a group of self-proclaimed soothsayers think?

Just like the 2005 magical season - it's going to be great seeing those morons making the mad dash to backpedal with a big ol' :egg: on their faces.

revefsreleets
09-28-2007, 09:44 AM
"Some of the things people spend time talking about are irrelevant to me in terms of preparing to play a football game," Tomlin added.

thebus36idf
09-29-2007, 03:38 PM
i have to disagree with you. i have seen us a ton on espn and the front page of various football websites. allan rossum was just on espn first take yesterday. everywhere i have seen has us in the top 3 or 4.. thats not really flying under the radar imo.

I don't know where you live so that might have an affect. I however have 3 espns that I watch regularly. Literally the only thing I watch. I have yet to see a mention of us as legit contenders.

thebus36idf
09-29-2007, 03:42 PM
shhhh.

dont blow our cover.

were flying under the radar.

we like being the underdogs.

or do we? :huh:

:willy:

It has some benefits definitly, but since they only play once a week I think part of the fun during the season is hearing about how good your team is. Seeing them, and hearing about them in the media, gives me something to chew on during the week. If it wasn't for this forum I'd be goin' NUTS!!!

thebus36idf
09-29-2007, 03:45 PM
[I think the Steelers are seen as kind of villains. The bad guys that are always one of the best and who actually not only win football games but do long term damage to teams through physical play and pure intimidation. I like that. Much rather be a fan of this bad-ass team than the fairy-tale teams in New England and Indianapolis.[/QUOTE]

I agre whole heartedly. The Steelers are always going to give you a SMASH IN THE MOUTH B-A-B-Y!!!!!!!

thebus36idf
09-29-2007, 03:50 PM
[
Look at all of the Cowher teams that were "media favorites" to win the AFC and move on to the Super Bowl. Well as we all know it worked against us most of the time.
Cowher's one Super Bowl victory was achieved when we were the underdogs, the un-mentioned, so let's roll with that again this season and see what happens.[/QUOTE]

No argument there. I however don't need to be praised as the greatest team I think the media likes to set teams up for failure, it makes great news. A mention here or ther as contenders however would be great.

thebus36idf
09-29-2007, 03:54 PM
i find this to be true as well. and they love to point out that our competition has been weak.
willie parker is the nfl's leading rusher in yards and i have barely heard 2 words about him.

This theory works if they didn't know our schedule before sports ill. put us third in our division. Not many teams finish third in their division with a 3-0 start. Hopefully 4-0 after this week.:banging:

silver & black
09-29-2007, 07:18 PM
Only thing that bothers me is that the fact the Steelers are so underrated is a really bad comment about the quality of general football analysis in the media.

If you measure quality of a team by how well they do in the playoffs, and measure the strength of a team by what it has done in recent years (say the past 6 years), the rank goes #1 Pats #2 Steelers #3 Colts.

I think the Steelers are seen as kind of villains. The bad guys that are always one of the best and who actually not only win football games but do long term damage to teams through physical play and pure intimidation. I like that. Much rather be a fan of this bad-ass team than the fairy-tale teams in New England and Indianapolis.

You could be describing my Raiders back in the day................. man, how I long for back in the day. :sofunny:....................:dang:

delhess
09-29-2007, 09:25 PM
the steelers are getting pretty good respect from the guys at sirius. there are some real great shows on there. it is not the kind of opinions you get from jim rome or a show like that, instead it is 24/7 breakdown of real teams and matchups. i am addicted since i bought my radio.

"movin the chains" has been giving love to the steelers all along, and adam schein is coming around as well. sirius is 95% of my nfl information, and i love what i have been hearing about pittsburgh. nobody says they are going to the super bowl, but they do realize that the steelers are for real. love their stuff, check it out.

here we go steelers!:tt02:

steel striker
09-29-2007, 09:59 PM
I agree no wants to us any props but, we seem to play better with a chip on our shoulder. Also none of those so called experts thought we would go that super championship run we had in 05. I live in Delaware and, all I hear Ravens & eagles and skins but, I still wear the colors proud big ben & heath miller jersey's. It does make my mad about how the media beat ben and the steelers up last year and this they want even speak about us. It's cool once we crush the pats & ravens then and only then will we get their attention. I bleed black and gold!!!!!

bratsinmybelly
09-29-2007, 10:54 PM
I really feel that our perceived lack of respect and our actual lack of attention is due to the fact that we are consistently good. We have been steady contenders since the early 70's. Sure we've had our bad years but we have remained among the league's elite for some 30 years now. The media only pays attention to us when we stink b/c THAT'S news. The media is always trying to get the "latest " stories. Pittsburgh being a contender is not a "fresh" story. We're always contenders. The only time the media get fired up about the Steelers is when we stink. That, if you ask me, is the true definition of respect.

Galax Steeler
09-30-2007, 07:06 AM
We as steeler nation nows what we have and what we can do who cares what everybody else thinks when we pop up in the playoffs then maybe they will know we are for real.:tt02::helmet:

Dino 6 Rings
09-30-2007, 12:15 PM
The only people that are going to show the Steelers respect are the fans of the teams we thump on Sunday. On Monday they will say "wow, they are good, don't know why anyone isn't talking about them." And when time comes for the commentators to "show love" to the Steelers, they will be doing what the rest of the nation demands they do, cause after 16 weeks of thumping and destroying all in our path, the story will be, "wow, they are the best team I've seen in years." and Finally, they will recognize our greatness. Steelers football will be all the buzz tomorrow morning around water coolers in the office in Arizona. No doubt about it.

Steelers
09-30-2007, 12:41 PM

Nah, I disagree. The Steelers are seen as the good guys around the league. Good guys who will still **** you up, but good guys nonetheless. They are one of the classiest organizations in sports with a roster full of team-oriented players.

Like someone already mentioned, we don't get any love when we're good because that's the status quo. You know how much attention we got last year. Last year was the anomaly. :helmet:

chenzzo
09-30-2007, 04:05 PM
I think one of the reasons the Steelers don't get more love or more exposure is because they don't play flashy football like the Pats or the Colts. We don't have one guy that's the star and gets all the exposure. We have a full team of hard workers who make the plays that need to get made without a lot of fuss. The Steelers play old-school, hard knocks football, that isn't always pretty, but gets the job done. Sure we have some highlight reel plays, but I get the feeling that our guys aren't looking for that, they just want the win, so they can get ready for the next game.

just my two cents.

risnuff
09-30-2007, 04:43 PM
We'll get plenty of respect once we win the Super Bowl.

Actually maybe we won't. We won XL, and all we heard about from the national media is how we didn't deserve it because of the officiating, and how their beloved Patriots were still so much better. Maybe we'll get a fairer shake when we win the next Super Bowl with better referees.