PDA

View Full Version : Prior knowledge might give Cards edge

83-Steelers-43
09-27-2007, 11:13 PM
Prior knowledge might give Cards edge
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, September 27, 2007

Ken Whisenhunt has gotten a new start in Arizona, but it may seem like old times Sunday for the former Steelers offensive coordinator.

Whisenhunt is in his first year as head coach of the Cardinals, but he hasn't relinquished the play-calling duties that offensive coordinators usually handle. That means he will engage in a battle of wits with Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, just as the two did countless times over the previous three years.

Throw in the scorching temperatures that have been forecast for Sunday, and the two may feel like they have been transported back to training camp at St. Vincent College, where they used to counter each other's moves on a baking football field.

"It's going to be the old days," Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel said, "Whiz and LeBeau going after it."

The two are playing for keeps this time, and a natural question is how much of an advantage the Cardinals will have in the 4 p.m. game, given the familiarity Arizona has with the Steelers.

Whisenhunt has several ex-Steelers coaches on his staff, including offensive line coach Russ Grimm, and a handful of players on Arizona's roster were with the Steelers last season.

One of those, center Chukky Okobi, spent the entire preseason with the Steelers before being released. He probably got a debriefing from the Cardinals' coaches shortly after signing with Arizona and several since then.

"There's no question he was having one-on-one meetings (this week) with their defensive coordinator," Steelers tight end Jerame Tuman said, "and giving him everything he had, everything that he can remember."

Advantage, Cardinals?

The Steelers offered mixed opinions on that question, though Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald said Arizona will have an edge in the game based on what some of their coaches and players know about the Steelers.

"I think the advantage we have is Ken and Russ, they know the personnel we're going against," the former Pitt All-American said. "They know the intricate details of the defense those guys are going to be coming with, and they know the personnel, Troy (Polamalu) and all of those guys like that, so we know kind of what to expect from those kinds of players, and I think that gives us a real good advantage."

However, the same may also be said of the Steelers.

By the numbers

Here is a statistical comparison of the Steelers and Arizona Cardinals

Steelers: 32.3 Points per game

Cardinals: 21.0 Points per game

Steelers: 8.7 Points allowed per game

Cardinals: 22.0 Points allowed per game

Steelers: 378.3 Yards per game

Cardinals: 352.0 Yars per game

Steelers: 244.3 Yards allowed per game

Cardinals: 312.0 Yards allowed per game

LeBeau is well aware of Whisenhunt's tendencies, and, as quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said, the Steelers have a different offense than the one Whisenhunt ran while he was in Pittsburgh.

"Honestly, we're not changing too much at all," Roethlisberger said. "They may have to make more adjustments than we do. I think our defense should know a little bit about what their offense is about."

The advantage either team might get Sunday because of the familiarity factor may, in fact, be negligible.

Scouting is so sophisticated these days that teams have a good idea of what their opponent is going to do. As such, the team that executes better wins most of the time in the NFL.

"Just like coach (Bill) Cowher used to say 'You know what we're going to do. Can you stop it?' " Steelers running back Willie Parker said.

Added Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes: "Our defense knows what we run half the time (in practice), and they still can't stop us."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_529774.html

revefsreleets
09-28-2007, 09:30 AM
I think all the advantages are ours. Tomlin is the wild card, and they are no match for us talent-wise.

fansince'76
09-28-2007, 11:36 AM
The Steelers offered mixed opinions on that question, though Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald said Arizona will have an edge in the game based on what some of their coaches and players know about the Steelers.

"They know the intricate details of the defense those guys are going to be coming with, and they know the personnel, Troy (Polamalu) and all of those guys like that, so we know kind of what to expect from those kinds of players, and I think that gives us a real good advantage."

Don't bet on it, Larry. Don't think LeBeau is going to change things up for this game? Please.

TackleMeBen
09-28-2007, 12:30 PM
you just keep thinking that Fitzgerald...:wink02:

SteelDogFan
09-28-2007, 12:40 PM
I truly think that Dick and even Bruce are well prepared for this game. I bet that Dick has some stuff that even the Wiz hasn't seen. The only chance I give the Cards is if they hit a lot of big plays, four or more. They cannot go on ten and twelve play drives on the Steelers "D". I also don't think that LIONHEART will do any good at all. The only thing is when Warner comes in the game will Dick blitz more or stay in zone to prevent the big play.

TackleMeBen
09-28-2007, 12:43 PM
i think leinart is too busy working on his hollywood image to really care about this game...

harp79
09-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Eh..I don't t hink they have much prior knowledge given that we're under a new HC and OC. If anything our players have prior knowledge of AZ's coaching style.

FastWillieParker39
09-28-2007, 04:16 PM
This game is huge for Tomlin. Going on the road against a team that the Steelers team isn't really familiar with since they never really play the Cards that much. Wiz knows a lot of stuff about our players and knows there strenghs and weaknesses more than any coach (beside the Steeler staff) in the NFL.

However, we should win this game. There O against our D doesn't scare me. You can also say that about our O against there D.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-28-2007, 04:49 PM
MIke Tomlin and Bruce Arians took the old Steelers playbook, plays that date back to the 1992 season...and the replaced it. They installed a new offense, an offense taylored around Ben Roethlisberger.

The old offense was taylored around a power-run game and the hope that the QB doesn't screw up.

We know what Ken Whisenhut likes to do, the same thing he did in Pittsburgh...power run.

If anyone has an edge in "prior knoledge"...it's the Steelers.

steelpride12
09-28-2007, 05:08 PM
I really don't see what they know over us our offense is diff. with Arians coming in a our D will do everything it can to mix it up!

Dino 6 Rings
09-28-2007, 05:41 PM
I have some prior knowledge about the cards...

they stink
they have always stinked
they will continue to stinkeded into the future.

we could lose this game...if Ben gets into a motorcycle accident right before kickoff, Batch desides to wrestle with real lions instead of attending the game, willie fumbles 4 times, troy misses 8 tackles, hampton falls asleep, holmes runs the wrong way with a catch and spikes it into our own endzone causing a safety and if the special teams act they way they did last year...

only then...will it be a loss...

Steelers 33 Cardinals 19

Dino 6 Rings
09-28-2007, 05:42 PM
I had the Cards with 17 but, with Holmes spiking the ball in the wrong endzone as a potential thing happening, I spot the Cards an extra 2 points.

revefsreleets
09-28-2007, 08:21 PM
THAT is funny!

beSteelmyheart
09-28-2007, 09:36 PM
Whiz=the ones that couldn't cut it vs. Tomlin & the ones that could.
We'll see on Sunday but I don't see them beating down the Pittsburgh Steelers. :jammin:

QyitStorrm
09-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Prior knowledge might give Cards edge ! It might give them a little knowledge, but they still have to play the game. Knowledge will only take them so far, but in this game knowledge, execution, and good coaching wins games. We have all three.

TackleMeBen
09-28-2007, 10:19 PM
the cards are nothing more than steeler rejects that will get a better understand after sunday why they all moved to AZ:wink02:

RoethlisBURGHer
09-28-2007, 10:41 PM
the cards are nothing more than steeler rejects that will get a better understand after sunday why they all moved to AZ:wink02:

For the dry heat? :hunch: Because it damn sure wasn't to win football games.

TackleMeBen
09-29-2007, 09:59 AM
For the dry heat? :hunch: Because it damn sure wasn't to win football games (http://www.qklinkserver.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=92&k=football%20games&st=1).

yeah b/c they couldnt deal with the snow and cold weather..lol.. maybe they were misled and was told that with leinart at the helm they could win football games??? maybe they should be like that jets fan and sue them for misleading them..lol :wink02:

The Duke
09-29-2007, 10:08 AM
The "edge" they may have, just like edge james won't be a big factor in the game

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-29-2007, 10:11 AM
I have some prior knowledge about the cards...

they stink
they have always stinked
they will continue to stinkeded into the future.

Steelers 33 Cardinals 19

:toofunny::toofunny: