PDA

View Full Version : Okobi: 'Ridiculous' he got cut

83-Steelers-43
09-28-2007, 12:07 AM
Okobi: 'Ridiculous' he got cut
Arizona center believes he should still be Steeler
Friday, September 28, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Former center Chukky Okobi said it is "ridiculous" he wasn't included on the Steelers' 53-man roster and that he would have made the team if Bill Cowher were still the head coach.

Okobi also said he didn't think there was a fair competition for the starting center position, saying it was predetermined Sean Mahan would replace retired Jeff Hartings when Mahan was signed in free agency.

Nonetheless, he said he has no animosity toward his former team or coach Mike Tomlin and understands why the decision was made to cut him after six years.

"To think I wasn't good enough to be on that team is ridiculous," said Okobi, a backup center with the Arizona Cardinals, where he has been reunited with head coach Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm. "But I know how this business works. I've been in this league a long time. Part of it is money, and they're doing what they feel they need to do. It's their team now. It's not Bill Cowher's team."

Okobi was signed by the Cardinals when starting center Al Johnson injured his knee in the season-opening loss in San Francisco. Johnson, though, participated in a full practice yesterday and likely will start against the Steelers.

Arizona probably will be without rookie right tackle Levi Brown (ankle), their No. 1 draft choice from Penn State. Brown practiced on only a limited basis yesterday.

Okobi, a fifth-round choice in 2001, had three years remaining on a contract that was scheduled to pay him $2 million annually. But he and second-year center Marvin Phillip were cut in favor of rookie free agent Darnell Stapleton, even though Okobi came to training camp as the starter.

"I really don't feel it was a competition; I feel it was predetermined," Okobi said. "Sean is more than capable. I got nothing against him. It's that he doesn't deserve to be the starter. It just is what it is.

"If Bill was still there, I'd still be there. I will say this, if Bill Cowher, in the 15 years he's been in league, believed I was the guy, that has to count for something because he obviously knew what he was doing."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07271/821214-66.stm

83-Steelers-43
09-28-2007, 12:12 AM
I guess this article answered my question in this thread......

Post #12: http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=20085&page=2

Atlanta Dan
09-28-2007, 12:16 AM
:toofunny:

Yesterday to the Trib-Review - "I don't think the people that are here are angry. I'm not angry,"

Despite the disclaimer, he sure sounds angry in this story.

I agree Cowher would not have cut him - Cowher was an excellent coach but I do not miss his mindset of slavish loyalty to high-paid career back-ups.

The Duke
09-28-2007, 12:17 AM
The fact that he's still a backup makes me think he's wrong, Mahan was more suited for the job, you lost it Chuky now cool it.

"If Bill was still there, I'd still be there. I will say this, if Bill Cowher, in the 15 years he's been in league, believed I was the guy, that has to count for something because he obviously knew what he was doing."

Is he taking a shot at Tomlin with that.maybe not, but if he is then I can't believe was rooting for him to be the new center....

83-Steelers-43
09-28-2007, 12:33 AM
"I really don't feel it was a competition; I feel it was predetermined," Okobi said. "Sean is more than capable. I got nothing against him. It's that he doesn't deserve to be the starter. It just is what it is.

Yeah, I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that he sat out 10 days of camp with an injury (2 different injuries total during camp) and the fact that he really didn't look all that great when he was healthy?

Chucki, get over it. It's in the past. Move on buddy. Your not the only player who should take that advice at this point in time.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-28-2007, 12:35 AM
And if we kept him but he backed up Sean Mahan, would he be happy? No, he'd probally be the distraction that Alan Faneca is NOT being.

Cowher liked you, but Cowher is no longer the Steelers HC, Mike Tomlin is. Tomlin obviously was right about starting Mahan since our o-line has been pretty damn outstanding so far this season.

Maybe next year when Cowher is in Cleveland ...he can trade for Okobi and he can be in that rotating door they have in Cleveland called the center position.

Edman
09-28-2007, 01:29 AM
Know what's ridiculous?

Taking up a roster spot for so many years on the Steelers, never seizing the opportunity to take the job from Hartings, and blowing your shot to finally win the starting job even when Hartings left. You sucked, Now you're cut, and now you're on another team. Shut up, Chukky. You should be thankful you even have a job. You are a career backup at best.

Steelersfan4life0655
09-28-2007, 02:03 AM
boo hoo, chucky. get over it it the nfl and the last i recalled you were a back up for a few years so obivously they saw something in you that they cringed about. :tt02:

Preacher
09-28-2007, 03:51 AM
boo hoo, chucky. get over it it the nfl and the last i recalled you were a back up for a few years so obivously they saw something in you that they cringed about. :tt02:

Injuries anyone?

NateC
09-28-2007, 04:06 AM
Chukky Just Venting . He Loved Pittsburgh .

Right he Should move on, but damn he saying the Same thing Porter Said. " If Cower was here so would I" And im not mad At him EIther. They Both said its just Buisness. I wish him all the best . Thanks for the:wave: memories

Galax Steeler
09-28-2007, 04:55 AM
Why would we need to keep him he was just eating up cap space and using up a roster spot.

Steel Pit
09-28-2007, 06:32 AM
Cowher, Okobi, Grimm, I'm so freaking happy that they're GONE!

The Steelers are FAR better off without these guys. They all became a little stale on the Steelers sideline.

Edman
09-28-2007, 07:33 AM
I think some Steeler fans wouldn't show so much animosity towards the old regime if they didn't quit on the team last year. Yes, Cowher was successful and I appreciate his time here, but the way he went out as the Steelers coach was a joke. Getting swept by your most hated rival in two decisive blowouts, getting shut out on national TV, the handling of Ben, the numerous turnovers, the special teams gaffes, losing to the 2-14 Raiders, the dumb penalties, and the overall lack of fire and discipline all around. Sure the Stillers went 6-2 in the final 8 games and knocking the Bungles out of the playoffs is fine, but I think the 2006 Steelers were embarrassing, odd, and underachieving at the same time.

Jman
09-28-2007, 08:15 AM
I guess the questions I'm having here is, do you have a job because of your loyalty or your skill?

HometownGal
09-28-2007, 08:30 AM
Nonetheless, he said he has no animosity toward his former team or coach Mike Tomlin and understands why the decision was made to cut him after six years.

Riiiiight. And pigs fly. If you understand the decision, have yourself a steaming cup of STFU already. :coffee:

Okobi was signed by the Cardinals when starting center Al Johnson injured his knee in the season-opening loss in San Francisco. Johnson, though, participated in a full practice yesterday and likely will start against the Steelers.

Well, Chukky - hate to be the bearer of bad tidings here, but if Johnson hadn't boo-boo'd his knee, chances are you would have been watching the games from your sofa. You got a lucky break due to someone else's misfortune - stop bitching and whining about the woulda, coulda, shouldas and act like a pro instead of a toddler sent to his room for a timeout. :binky:

Yes - he is and that is why you were given the heave ho. Glad you realize that. You're career second string - get used to it. It just is what it is.

All Bill Cowher believed (obviously) is that you were a capable BACK-UP. Shut up Chukky - sour grapes do not become you.

revefsreleets
09-28-2007, 09:33 AM
Acceptable: Being a back-up center for the Steelers, a team that cranks out Pro Bowl centers.
Unacceptable: Being a back-up center for the Cardinals. Hey, Chuck, know your role and shut your mouth.

BlastFurnace
09-28-2007, 10:36 AM
I didn't see any other team busting at the seams to sign him once he was cut.

TackleMeBen
09-28-2007, 10:47 AM
I guess the questions I'm having here is, do you have a job because of your loyalty or your skill?

guess that depends on the coach??? if cowher were still coaching then it would be loyalty.. but since tomlin is the coach, he based it on skill.......... and well evidently chukky didnt quite measure up... :wink02:

it seems like he was given chances to win the job after hartings retired but couldnt stay away from the injury bug and when healthy.. just plain out sucked.

fansince'76
09-28-2007, 10:53 AM

Yesterday to the Trib-Review - "I don't think the people that are here are angry. I'm not angry,"

Yep - for someone who's "not angry," he's putting up enough of a bitch about it.

noto45
09-28-2007, 11:32 AM
thats why I am glad Cowher is gone....so long chucky

NateC
09-28-2007, 02:30 PM
SInce when Are We WHat Have you DOne For Me Lately People .....

GLAD COWHER IS GONE???? LOL... YOur nuts. I would been happy to see Cowher COach the Steelers till His Wheels Fell Off.

THanks For the Memories Bill// CHuckky Lol i could care less he is gone BUT. The Fact he is Mad about leaving Pittsburgh ummm, Cant Really Blame him for that. I dont Care How he said it. He is SOre about not playing for the Steelers. I feel his pain.

Haiku_Dirtt
09-28-2007, 02:35 PM

I agree Cowher would not have cut him - Cowher was an excellent coach but I do not miss his mindset of slavish loyalty to high-paid career back-ups.

And many players got more for doing less on Sundays than Okobi.

Lord Stiller
09-28-2007, 02:44 PM
Why would we need to keep him he was just eating up cap space and using up a roster spot.

Because he is better than Mahan

fansince'76
09-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Because he is better than Mahan

Yep, that explains why he lost a job that was practically his to lose to Mahan. I didn't see it myself, but I heard more than one report from TC that Mahan more than held his own against Big Snack in blocking drills while Big Snack beat Okobi like a rented mule in the same drills. We kept the right guy.

Dino 6 Rings
09-28-2007, 02:59 PM
What's rediculous is the fact he's admitting he'd rather be a Steeler than a Cardinal...I imagine some people in his locker room are looking at him going..."so you'd rather be on that team? is that what you mean?"

Didn't hear James crying about being let go by the Colts...

BurghZ0n3
09-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Some who left B&G, might've felt regrets that they did...look at Carnell Lake, Rod Woodson, Chad Brown to name a few. They should've gotten the ring if they were loyal :helmet: . I believe Chad Brown came back for 1 season, didn't he?

Steel Pit
09-28-2007, 05:26 PM
SInce when Are We WHat Have you DOne For Me Lately People .....

GLAD COWHER IS GONE???? LOL... YOur nuts. I would been happy to see Cowher COach the Steelers till His Wheels Fell Off.

THanks For the Memories Bill// CHuckky Lol i could care less he is gone BUT. The Fact he is Mad about leaving Pittsburgh ummm, Cant Really Blame him for that. I dont Care How he said it. He is SOre about not playing for the Steelers. I feel his pain.

Yes Sir, a few of us NUTS are GLAD THAT COWHER IS GONE!
By the way, Cowher did coach "till his wheels fell off" and his wheels fell off many times. This usually occurred in the month of January, in the city of Pittsburgh.

A change was far-overdue, THANK GOD FOR MIKE TOMLIN! YEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! :banana::cheer::bouncy::hug::thumbsup::tt02::chick en:

stillers4me
09-28-2007, 05:48 PM
I don't care what any of them say.....the Cards are a bunch of players and coaches not good enough to be Steelers.

It's time to activate Ben 2.0.............and dig into LeBeau's bag of goodies. We haven't seen the Steelers 2007 editon yet.

Mosca
09-28-2007, 06:53 PM
Cowher gave us some great teams, and did a great job. His style was different from Tomlin's, but just as effective in its own way. I love Tomlin and his approach, but it's been 3 games, folks. Talk to me in 15 years.

Okobi would probably be playing for Cowher and Grimm, and probably doing OK but not as good as the guy we got now. That's all.

I think his problem wasn't that he isn't good; it's that he isn't BETTER, and that he never got better over the last few years. He didn't grow into his potential, and I figure Tomlin decided that if he hasn't done it by now, he never will. Notice how Tomlin continually stresses that his team has to get better, every week. Well, you gotta figure he doesn't need any complacent guys around. As soon as you figure you're good enough, you're not.

Whatever, next, y'know?

Tom

Atlanta Dan
09-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Cowher gave us some great teams, and did a great job. His style was different from Tomlin's, but just as effective in its own way. I love Tomlin and his approach, but it's been 3 games, folks. Talk to me in 15 years.

Okobi would probably be playing for Cowher and Grimm, and probably doing OK but not as good as the guy we got now. That's all.

I think his problem wasn't that he isn't good; it's that he isn't BETTER, and that he never got better over the last few years. He didn't grow into his potential, and I figure Tomlin decided that if he hasn't done it by now, he never will. Notice how Tomlin continually stresses that his team has to get better, every week. Well, you gotta figure he doesn't need any complacent guys around. As soon as you figure you're good enough, you're not.

Whatever, next, y'know?

Tom

Great post - agree completely:thumbsup:

Mosca
09-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Great post - agree completely:thumbsup:

I mean, look at even what he said in the interview; "I didn't do anything wrong." OK, but did you do anything MORE? Did you do anything that blew people away? No? OK, for what we're paying you, there is a UDFA that isn't doing anything wrong, either.

Sorry, Chukky. We love you, but goodbye.

Tom

QyitStorrm
09-28-2007, 09:44 PM
Point well taken...I feel Cowher was the right man for the job at that time just as I feel Tomlin is the perfect fit at this time. As for Okobi......Get a job!

Steeler in Carolina
09-29-2007, 01:43 AM
He needs to quit whining.

Elvis
09-29-2007, 06:51 AM
" Ridiculous"
When you dont make plays when you get the opportunity then
its time to move on and take your high paying benchwarming
self out of here to the Arizona Steelers Rejects.....
:blah:

Steelillini
09-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Hey Chucky, you were a backup on a playoff caliber team and now you are a backup on a team that never gets to the playoffs, you ever think that you are just that--a career backup-------get over it

Stlrs4Life
09-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Is Chucky talking out both sides of his mouth:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_530088.html

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, September 30, 2007

Quote:
What is it about Steelers coach Mike Tomlin? Even some of the players he fires have good things to say about him.

Tomlin didn't release center Chukky Okobi on Sept. 1. "Release" and "cut" are words popularized by sports writers and fans.
Tomlin fired Okobi, plain and simple. Took money out of his pocket, food off his table.
Here's what Okobi had to say last week about Tomlin, the man who delivered his pink slip:

"I've got no qualms at all with coach Tomlin. I've got a lot of respect for him. He's going to have a lot of success. We will always have a good relationship, I think. On a personal level, I got to know him maybe a little bit better than other people did. Maybe that's why when I (left) we did have as lengthy a conversation as we did."

Facing Tomlin and his former Steelers teammates today as a member of the Arizona Cardinals will be three-plus hours of mixed emotions for Okobi, the only player let go by Tomlin who entered training camp as a potential starter.

"I had worked so hard to be the guy in that position, playing center for Pittsburgh. It's not like playing any other position. There's a longstanding tradition there. I know all about it, especially being a local guy," said Okobi, who was raised in Pittsburgh and started seven games in six seasons with the Steelers.
Telling a player he's no longer a member of the team is never easy. Okobi said Tomlin gained his respect when he explained his decision in detail....

GeneralRobinson
11-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Y'all probably don't care, but I read that Chukky Okobi was released by Arizona.

fansince'76
11-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Y'all probably don't care, but I read that Chukky Okobi was released by Arizona.

Yep - almost immediately after our game against them. Classic pump-and-dump.

MJ5150
11-13-2007, 12:36 AM
I miss the guy. He misses Pittsburgh. I think he honestly felt like the starting position was going to be handed to him as a reward for waiting since 2001 and doing whatever Cowher, the other coaches, and the FO asked of him during that time.

That is probably what eventually ruined it for him. Perhaps he lost a little bit of fire and desire when he felt like the job was his. I think we all can get a little complacent when we are sure of something. Along comes Tomlin to challenge the guy, and he fails. Perhaps there were some financial issues from the FO, but I'm not about to comment on that. He kept in playing shape and got the job in Arizona based on what Grimm and Whiz knew about him.

I actually developed a nice friendship with Chukky while he was a Steeler. He used to have a website where you could buy one of his jerseys, so I contacted him and bought a Steeler home jersey of his. We ended up having more in common that him playing for my favorite team. When I was in Pittsburgh last year during the off season, we met up and had dinner. When he found out I went to the University of Florida, he arranged for Max Starks to come along. Total thrill for me. He owns and operates a business just outside Pittsburgh, so he still has ties here.

So yeah Chukky, I know how bad this must hurt. Who knows, maybe you can come back someday.

-Mike

SteelerFanInATL
11-14-2007, 06:28 AM
When a free agent lineman is signed in the offseason for $17M and they are talking about playing him at center, that is more than a hint of who is going to start. $17M and not starting is not how the Steelers roll. Yes, if Cowher was there he probably would have made the team as well as Joey Porter. (Who saw that comming?) He really can't complain since they let J.P. go also. It is still a buisness
and sometimes it is about the money even if it is only $2M. IMO when a starter leaves
for whatever reason, and the backup has not been promoted to the starting position, and a F/A is signed at your position, combined with the fact your team has a new head coach, its time to get yourself mentaly prepared that you POSSIBLY MIGHT NOT BE AROUND TOO MUCH LONGER.