PDA

View Full Version : Romo asking for $30M guaranteed

TackleMeBen
09-28-2007, 12:17 PM
A league source tells Pro Football Talk that agent Tom Condon has requested on behalf of Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo a contract including guaranteed money in excess of $30 million. Such a deal would give Romo more guaranteed money than Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, who pocketed 30 million when signed a long-term deal several years ago. Manning was also represented by Condon. As we hear it, the Cowboys aren't biting. Though they've concluded that Romo is for real and deserves to be paid accordingly, owner Jerry Jones isn't prepared to fork over that kind of money yet.

http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/nfl#2

fansince'76
09-28-2007, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't fork that kind of money over to him either. He really hasn't proven anything yet.

Big D
09-28-2007, 12:19 PM
well if an overrated fat jamarcus russell can bamboozel al davis into a 31 million dollard guaranteed contract without even taking a snap the tony homo has to be worth at least 60

Atlanta Dan
09-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Romo will set the salary/bonus target Ben will be shooting at - too bad Jones did not sign Romo preseason - Romo's # is now much higher which in turn will boost Ben's target.

TackleMeBen
09-28-2007, 12:31 PM
i dont see Romo getting that kind of money out of JJ unless he wins the superbowl

Big D
09-28-2007, 12:35 PM
the best thing roger goodell could do at this point is put a contract structure for nfl players similar to the way the nba has theirs. How long will it take before a player gets a rod type of money?

TackleMeBen
09-28-2007, 12:39 PM
the best thing roger goodell could do at this point is put a contract structure for nfl players similar to the way the nba has theirs. How long will it take before a player gets a rod type of money?

not long.. probably next year since we all know that someone will only have a year left on their contract. and if a rookie can get 30mil in guaranteed money what you do think a person that has proven to be a winner will want.. :wink02:

Big D
09-28-2007, 12:43 PM
not long.. probably next year since we all know that someone will only have a year left on their contract. and if a rookie can get 30mil in guaranteed money what you do think a person that has proven to be a winner will want.. :wink02:

Like peyton manning. What do you think polian would do if manning went into his office today and said I want 100 million in guarantees. You are backed into a corner and have no choice. In my opinion the biggest thing wrong with the nfl today is there is no rookie salary cap.

TackleMeBen
09-28-2007, 12:46 PM
i agree. i mean the russell thing was nuts... he has never taken a snap in the NFL and gets that kind of guaranteed money.. could you imagine what the NBA rookies would be asking... i mean just think of it.. no rookie cap could you picture what Lebron would have asked for?

Big D
09-28-2007, 12:50 PM
I might get stones thrown at me, But quite honestly I wouldnt want the steelers to give ben 30 million in guarantees at this stage of his career.

Atlanta Dan
09-28-2007, 12:52 PM
I might get stones thrown at me, But quite honestly I wouldnt want the steelers to give ben 30 million in guarantees at this stage of his career.

:iagree:

What keeps an A-Rod situation from happening is the cap

Big D
09-28-2007, 12:54 PM

But teams can avoid the cap by signing bonuses correct? I just dont understand how rookie contracts keep inflating

fansince'76
09-28-2007, 12:55 PM

No stones coming from this direction - I wouldn't want the Steelers to either at this point, and Ben has actually DONE something in the league. Which shows how preposterous this proposed deal really is.

Big D
09-28-2007, 12:58 PM
No stones coming from this direction - I wouldn't want the Steelers to either at this point, and Ben has actually DONE something in the league. Which shows how preposterous this proposed deal really is.

like winning a superbowl.

MasterOfPuppets
09-28-2007, 12:59 PM
bens stats will have to improve big time ,over what he's done in the last few years to ask for that kinda money.if you want top 5 money you have to have top 5 stats.

Big D
09-28-2007, 01:01 PM
bens stats will have to improve big time ,over what he's done in the last few years to ask for that kinda money.if you want top 5 money you have to have top 5 stats.

exactly! I would much rather have conservitive ownership like the rooneys then a loose cannon free spending owner like daniel snider

Haiku_Dirtt
09-28-2007, 01:11 PM
well if an overrated fat jamarcus russell can bamboozel al davis into a 31 million dollard guaranteed contract without even taking a snap the tony homo has to be worth at least 60

Isn't that how the housing bubble inflated? :burning:

Haiku_Dirtt
09-28-2007, 01:15 PM

Imagine what Schneider would do with his roster without the cap. Would Brady backup Manning or would Manning backup Brady? :deal:

Big D
09-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Imagine what Schneider would do with his roster without the cap. Would Brady backup Manning or would Manning backup Brady? :deal:

exactly. Or who would be the giver, or who would be the reciever

alittlejazzbird
09-28-2007, 02:29 PM

The thing is, though, Ben already has a Super Bowl ring and is showing signs that another is on the horizon somewhere down the road. So the case can be made, based on his career record, that he should be paid more than Romo.

I have to think the Cowboys are going to balk at that $30 million figure. I mean, how many games has Romo started? He's not exactly battle tested, and he was responsible for the fumbled snap that lost their playoff game (notice how everyone has conveniently forgotten that debacle?).

To quote a typical mutual fund prospectus, "past performance does not guarantee future results," but IMO Ben's Super Bowl ring and a 37-12 won-loss record as a starter (including post-season) are together worth more than Romo's fumbled snap and handful of wins. I guess it remains to be seen where the salary bar ends up being set.

fansince'76
09-28-2007, 02:53 PM
I have to think the Cowboys are going to balk at that $30 million figure.

If it were any owner besides Snyder or Jones, I would be inclined to fully agree. With Jones, ya never know, though.

alittlejazzbird
09-28-2007, 02:58 PM
If it were any owner besides Snyder or Jones, I would be inclined to fully agree. With Jones, ya never know, though.

You gotta point there, 76....imagine how happy Ben will be if Jones is loony enough to actually pay it!

Big D
09-28-2007, 03:06 PM
You gotta point there, 76....imagine how happy Ben will be if Jones is loony enough to actually pay it!

Well Ben would be wishing his ass on the first plane out of pittsburgh. I dont see the steelers giving ben that type of money regardless what the market shows

silver & black
09-28-2007, 03:11 PM

You can bet it will be addressed at the next CBA meeting. It is ridiculously out of hand...especially rookie salaries. Russell better be Superbowl good right out of the gate, or he is in for a rude awakening from Raider Nation after what he put us through this year.

silver & black
09-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Like peyton manning. What do you think polian would do if manning went into his office today and said I want 100 million in guarantees. You are backed into a corner and have no choice. In my opinion the biggest thing wrong with the nfl today is there is no rookie salary cap.

I might be wrong about this, but I believe there is a rookie cap. They get around it with option bonuses, signing bonuses and roster bonuses.

Big D
09-28-2007, 03:14 PM
You can bet it will be addressed at the next CBA meeting. It is ridiculously out of hand...especially rookie salaries. Russell better be Superbowl good right out of the gate, or he is in for a rude awakening from Raider Nation after what he put us through this year.

espically after acting like a greedy spoiled brat. Drafting a quarterback number one is always risky, but when it is the raiders and with their luck with drafting quarterbacks in the first round it's like playing russian roulette. I'm sure there are raider fans that arent over todd marijuaivich

Big D
09-28-2007, 03:16 PM
I might be wrong about this, but I believe there is a rookie cap. They get around it with option bonuses, signing bonuses and roster bonuses.

whats funny is the nba has a great rookie cap that prevents any hold outs. While the nfl has a great policy that wont let underclassman enter the draft until year 3 after graduation. Could you imagine if both leagues would combine the smarts in this. Odds are your boy Jamarcus Russell would be starting right now

Atlanta Dan
09-28-2007, 03:25 PM

I think the first round salary signings are slotted, meaning the #15 pick almost always will get less than the #10 pick (which is what messed up Brady Quinn after everyone missed his view that he was really a #1 pick who happened to slide to #22 but still should get top 5 pick money.) That is why you always seem to have the delay in first round signings as someone needs to go first and set the market price that year.

After that, initial contracts for first round picks go 4 (Troy) to 5 (Ben) years to amortize the signing bonus.

The NFL needs to go to a separate cap for rookie signigs but that would hurt the agents and top players who (along with Goodell) are the colllective masters' voice for Gene Upshaw and the sham union called the NFLPA, which does nothing for rank & file players or retirees.

I believe no top shelf QB has ever left his team in the prime of his career since the cap came in, but someone soon is going to demand a bust the bank contract that some mid- to small market owner will refuse to pay. IMO Ben & the Rooneys are on the short list of QB-owner tandems for which that may occur.

silver & black
09-28-2007, 03:25 PM
espically after acting like a greedy spoiled brat. Drafting a quarterback number one is always risky, but when it is the raiders and with their luck with drafting quarterbacks in the first round it's like playing russian roulette. I'm sure there are raider fans that arent over todd marijuaivich

I'm one of those Raider fans... Marinovich was a disaster. He is the reason that Davis avoids drafting QB's like the plague. For the Raiders to step up and draft another QB at #1 shows that Davis knows what the greatest need on this team is.

His nickname through this this whole debacle was JaGreedy. :sofunny:

Big D
09-28-2007, 03:29 PM
[/B]

I'm one of those Raider fans... Marinovich was a disaster. He is the reason that Davis avoids drafting QB's like the plague. For the Raiders to step up and draft another QB at #1 shows that Davis knows what the greatest need on this team is.

His nickname through this this whole debacle was JaGreedy. :sofunny:

I'll give you raider fans credit. I wouldnt be as forgiving if we had a player hold out through week one.

silver & black
09-28-2007, 03:32 PM
I think the first round salary signings are slotted, meaning the #15 pick almost always will get less than the #10 pick (which is what messed up Brady Quinn after everyone missed his view that he was really a #1 pick who happened to slide to #22 but still should get top 5 pick money.) That is why you always seem to have the delay in first round signings as someone needs to go first and set the market price that year.

After that, initial contracts for first round picks go 4 (Troy) to 5 (Ben) years to amortize the signing bonus.

The NFL needs to go to a separate cap for rookie signigs but that would hurt the agents and top players who (along with Goodell) are the colllective masters' voice for Gene Upshaw and the sham union called the NFLPA, which does nothing for rank & file players or retirees.

I believe no top shelf QB has ever left his team in the prime of his career since the cap came in, but someone soon is going to demand a bust the bank contract that some mid- to small market owner will refuse to pay. IMO Ben & the Rooneys are on the short list of QB-owner tandems for which that may occur.

Thanks for the info. Something definitely needs to be done, or the NFL is going to go the way of Major League Baseball. The NFL can't keep ticket prices as low as MLB can because of only playing 16 games as opposed to 161 games. If it gets much more out of hand, no one will be able to afford to go to a game, and the NFL will find itself in a world of hurt.

Can you imagine what next year's #1 is going to get... especially if its Brohm?

Big D
09-28-2007, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the info. Something definitely needs to be done, or the NFL is going to go the way of Major League Baseball. The NFL can't keep ticket prices as low as MLB can because of only playing 16 games as opposed to 161 games. If it gets much more out of hand, no one will be able to afford to go to a game, and the NFL will find itself in a world of hurt.

Can you imagine what next year's #1 is going to get... especially if its Brohm?

and if it's the falcons who get the pick. If I remeber right williams signed for 27 guaranteed last year, russell signed for 31 that means next year it could go up to at least 35 million

silver & black
09-28-2007, 03:41 PM
and if it's the falcons who get the pick. If I remeber right williams signed for 27 guaranteed last year, russell signed for 31 that means next year it could go up to at least 35 million

I never thought about Atlanta getting the pick, but it is a real possibility. Williams got 27.5 gauranteed.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-28-2007, 04:33 PM
What would you guys say is the most important stat in football?

Completion percentage? TD passes? Yards? Yards per attempt? Interceptions? Sacks?

I think it's wins-losses/Super Bowls

Ben has one of THE BEST records since becoming a starter and he already has a SB ring.

If he gets lots of wins this year, I think he'll be deserving of some big money...especially if he puts up some career highs in things like yards & touchdowns.

tony hipchest
09-28-2007, 04:35 PM
and if it's the falcons who get the pick. If I remeber right williams signed for 27 guaranteed last year, russell signed for 31 that means next year it could go up to at least 35 millionit depends. the rise in rookie guaranteed money has been consistant with the rise of the salary cap, so if it raises 5% that 31 mil would go up by 5% of that; however, i read somewhere that its possible to drop from $109 mil to $107 next season. with most teams planning on it raising to $116 next season they may find themselves $9 mil over budget for 2008. this especially hurts a team like the raiders who are essentially paying russell to red shirt for a year and having him at an inflated price for next season.

CanadianSteel
09-28-2007, 04:36 PM
The NFL salary cap system keeps a level playing field but is not without its flaws. Seems rookies comand way to high slaraies & specially bonuses and when it comes to higly drafted QB's you better hope your scouts are right ,otherwise it can set the franchise back years - see Tim Couch etc. Puts a great amount of pressure on rookie QB to be good right out of the gate as well.
Also seems that proven players who have accomplised things in the game are the ones on the other end getting cut for cap reasons. I glad the Steelers are one of the few teams who have seemed to figure out the cap a little bit and seemed to know when to give out the paydays, but it was not without some mistakes like previous contarcts for Gildon and Kordell.

silver & black
09-28-2007, 04:46 PM
The NFL salary cap system keeps a level playing field but is not without its flaws. Seems rookies comand way to high slaraies & specially bonuses and when it comes to higly drafted QB's you better hope your scouts are right ,otherwise it can set the franchise back years - see Tim Couch etc. Puts a great amount of pressure on rookie QB to be good right out of the gate as well.
Also seems that proven players who have accomplised things in the game are the ones on the other end getting cut for cap reasons. I glad the Steelers are one of the few teams who have seemed to figure out the cap a little bit and seemed to know when to give out the paydays, but it was not without some mistakes like previous contarcts for Gildon and Kordell.

It also puts a great amount of pressure on the team that drafted him to put him on the field immediately. Definitely not a good thing when it comes to QB's. I'm glad Russell is sitting this year, but the pressure to get him on the field because of the money invested is tempting. I don't see Russell being able to live up to his salary for 2-3 years... but then again, you never know.

I never wanted him for just this reason. We could have traded down and still got Stanton or Edwards and some O line or D line help.

Preacher
09-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Anyone think that Romo's asking price is a red herring?

I have to ask, what other QB's does he represent that are coming up for contract negotiations... whose contract is he really trying to drive up. Because that amount for that him just isn't right.

Atlanta Dan
09-28-2007, 04:53 PM
What would you guys say is the most important stat in football?

Completion percentage? TD passes? Yards? Yards per attempt? Interceptions? Sacks?

I think it's wins-losses/Super Bowls

Ben has one of THE BEST records since becoming a starter and he already has a SB ring.

If he gets lots of wins this year, I think he'll be deserving of some big money...especially if he puts up some career highs in things like yards & touchdowns.

So in 2000 Trent Dilfer was the best QB in the NFL?

Livinginthe past
09-28-2007, 05:20 PM
So in 2000 Trent Dilfer was the best QB in the NFL?

People always seem to trip over themselves by trying to oversimplify a pretty complex equation.

There are so many variables at hand - how much does the team rely on the QB to win games? - defensively challenged teams tend to pay more of a premium to give themselves the best chance in shootout scenario's.

Does the guy have any clutch ability, does he flake out in the 4th quarter or does he do his best work then.

I like Romo (and I like Eli Manning as a QB, too) and think he is a good QB - people were overly harsh on him this offseason - just like how they've been overly emotional when punishing Eli for the draft day debacle.

revefsreleets
09-28-2007, 07:14 PM
A) Condon is striking while the iron is hot. Romo wore out last year, and he's only 3 games into this year. It's smart bargaining to push for this now. Is he worth $30 mil guaranteed? Maybe right this minute, but who knows long term? Jerry Jones won't sign him now anyway.
B) Ben is probably, given the way the market on QB's is running now, worth even more than this deal. Be prepared for these kind of numbers when it comes time to deal.
C) The NBA deal is nothing like the NFL. In the NBA, you get drafted in position number X, you get contract number X. That's why those guys sign two days after drafted. You have to prove yourself.
D) The NFL can and should adopt that policy yesterday. Only a few agents would balk, because they also have older players in their stable, and this policy would pay those players the money that's being wasted on unproven talent coming out of the draft. Wouldn't you rather see Ben get paid $100 million than an unproven rookie QB coming out of college? For that matter, why not spread the wealth around if your QB is under contract. Pay your vets and save the dough you may blow on busts.