PDA

View Full Version : Ward out Sunday

83-Steelers-43
09-28-2007, 12:32 PM
As pretty much expected...

Steelers' Ward won't play against Arizona on Sunday
Friday, September 28, 2007
By Bob Smizik, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward will not play against the Arizona Cardinals Sunday.

Ward, who injured his knee against the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday, has missed only three games in his 10-year NFL career.

He missed his first game in 2005 with a hamstring injury, ending a streak of games played at 116 and games started at 83. He missed two games last December because of a hyperextended knee.

Tight end Matt Spaeth and cornerback Ricardo Colclough were officially listed as doubtful. Neither practiced today and both said they do not expect to play.

Center Sean Mahan and tackle Trai Essex, who had been injured earlier in the week, practiced and will be available Sunday.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07271/821311-66.stm

stillers4me
09-28-2007, 12:34 PM
I hate to see him hurt.......but better he rests and heals completely. Our schedule only gets tougher and Ben will need all the targets he can find.....not to mention Ward's blocking ability.

fansince'76
09-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Why is Colclough doubtful? Is he auditioning for the role of overpaid sideline sweatsuit model/cheerleader now that Duce is gone? Not that he'd be much help anyway. How that guy is still on the roster is beyond me.

memphissteelergirl
09-28-2007, 12:35 PM
I hate to see him hurt.......but better he rests and heals completely. Our schedule only gets tougher and Ben will need all the targets he can find.....not to mention Ward's blocking ability.

:iagree:

Big D
09-28-2007, 12:36 PM
it's time for holmes, washington and wilson to step up on sunday. I expect that Miller will have another big day sunday as well

Preacher
09-28-2007, 12:40 PM
it's time for holmes, washington and wilson to step up on sunday. I expect that Miller will have another big day sunday as well

That's my thoughts. It is time to see if we truly have a legitimate person that can step into the number 2 role when Santo become the primary receiver.

Atlanta Dan
09-28-2007, 12:50 PM
Several observations

Need to let Ward heal - IMO if they win Sunday he may sit out Seattle to rest through the bye week

I assume Reid dresses - may be one of his last shots to show Tomlin he provides some value

As for Coclough's "injury," that is about as signifiacnt to our chances on Sunday as Steeley McBeam missing practice

Glad to read Mahan practiced but wonder what is up with Spaeth's injury.

TackleMeBen
09-28-2007, 12:51 PM
cant we just put in Sepulveda to take his place. i am sure he could catch and block ..lol ..

Big D
09-28-2007, 12:52 PM
cant we just put in Sepulveda to take his place. i am sure he could catch and block ..lol ..
I see no reason why not

Preacher
09-28-2007, 01:01 PM
I see no reason why not

You all know...

Sep is just a few votes short of the HOF!

Edman
09-28-2007, 01:37 PM
Miller, Holmes, Washington, Wilson, even Reid...time to step up. It's also time for Ben to seize the moment as a QB. I know you want to show up Whiz, but now is not the time to be stupid with the ball. No Ward and perhaps no Spaeth. Oh, and cut Chokelee.

This game will tell me wether our WR's are the real deal.

Steelerstrength
09-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Damn, I really like the production of Spaeth. He's an aweful large target, and the DB's and Safety's can't seem to get around that either. Spaeth is gonna take a lot more shots to the thigh now that teams know his issue. Heath & Tuman will pile up the stats!

Wizzz:monkey:

alittlejazzbird
09-28-2007, 02:41 PM

We have the enviable luxury of multiple receiving targets now, so while I hate to see Hines out (and he won't get to extend that streak of consecutive games with a catch), we have a much tougher schedule ahead and I'd rather have him healthy for that. I predict more tight end touchdowns this week!

Lord Stiller
09-28-2007, 02:47 PM
We have the enviable luxury of multiple receiving targets now, so while I hate to see Hines out (and he won't get to extend that streak of consecutive games with a catch)

Not true. His streak is consecutive games played with a catch. Ward has already missed a few games last year and the year before

CanadianSteel
09-28-2007, 04:49 PM
I truly believe this is one game Hines would have played if he could go, even at 70%.Get better Hines as we will need you for sure down the stretch.
Was hoping to see Spaeth and some more of the 3 tight end sets, specially near the goal line. This could be our best weapon vs Cards. Hopefully Spaeth can go !

.24lockdown
09-28-2007, 07:22 PM
hopefully we can see santonio get a 100-yard game. hes gonna need to step it up...although i can still see ben distributing the ball again, throwing to all receivers and te's like he has been doing.(which is good btw, lol)

revefsreleets
09-28-2007, 07:23 PM
If you have Santonio Holmes in your fantasy league, start him!

The Duke
09-28-2007, 08:42 PM
You all know...

Sep is just a few votes short of the HOF!

You miss Kuhn don't you?

WWIIOwheelz
09-29-2007, 12:42 AM
We're lucky they aren't talking about his return in a matter of weeks or months, after the back-to-back hits he took last week, and I'm not talking about his knee, either.

I'm glad they are giving him an extra week to fully recover, and I honestly can't remember the last time I felt so comfortable with the receiving options the Steelers have outside of him. I wish Spaeth was OK, but better safe than sorry with his recovery also.

I've kept quiet this week about Hines because I was a little hard on Ben for putting him in the position to take those hits last week, haven't wanted to harp on the negatives. I really hope to see Ben going through his reads a little better this week, because it really was an issue all day against the 'Niners, telegraphing / target fixation. Spotting a mismatch & focusing on it is one thing, but not on timing patterns over the middle or slants.

I'll give it a rest, I'm sorry. New week, new game.

Galax Steeler
09-29-2007, 04:14 AM
I belive holmes will get his share of catches this week even being doubled teamed I look for him to be in the endzone at least once.

Elvis
09-29-2007, 05:30 AM
I guess we will find out how far our great young WR has come this coming sunday as he will be promoted to No.1 and get his chance to prove that he belongs there.
But I think that the other side of the field will be the biggest question for our offense. If Washington can step up and make plays, it will make things alot easier on Holmes. And it wont make it so important for Ward to get back too
soon.
:tt02: