PDA

View Full Version : Pats & Belicheat Sued For $184 Million For Cheating

Atlanta Dan
09-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Someone finally has the courage to ask the courts to provide meaningful punishment to known cheaters.

A New York Jets season-ticket holder filed a class-action lawsuit Friday against the New England Patriots and coach Bill Belichick for "deceiving customers."

The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Newark, N.J., by Carl Mayer of Princeton Township, N.J., stems from the Patriots being caught illegally videotaping signals from Jets coaches in New England's 38-14 season-opening win Sept. 9.

"They violated the integrity of the game," Mayer's attorney, Bruce Afran, told the Associated Press. "This is a way of punishing Belichick and the Patriots."

Mayer, 48, is seeking more than $184 million in damages for Jets ticket holders. ...

They were deceiving customers," Mayer said. "You can't deceive customers.":thumbsup:

The lawsuit maintained that because other teams found illegal videotaping by the defendants, Jets ticket holders should be compensated for all games played in Giants Stadium between the Jets and Patriots since Belichick became head coach in 2000.

The two calculated that because customers paid $61.6 million to watch eight "fraudulent" games, they're entitled to triple that amount -- or $184.8 million -- in compensation under the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization Act and the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act.

"How many times have the Patriots done this? We find it hard to believe they did it just once," Mayer said. "We just want to get to the truth of the matter of what the Patriots did to the Jets. I think the ticket holders are genuinely concerned about it. This is a type of misrepresentation."

Patriots spokesman Stacey James declined to comment on the lawsuit.

http://www.sportsline.com/print/nfl/story/10378129

:sofunny:

Livinginthe past
09-28-2007, 08:10 PM
You read about this guy?

Total lionel hutz character.

This client isn't a 'customer' of the Patriots, i'd expect a little more from you in this area, Dan.

You want something with more substance than a case Judge Judy should be trying?

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=300728#post300728

Party time is over.

You can go back to fighting for the scraps.

Atlanta Dan
09-28-2007, 08:24 PM
You read about this guy?

This client isn't a 'customer' of the Patriots, i'd expect a little more from you in this area, Dan.

Party time is over.

So I guess someone is still a little touchy about the recent unpleasantness?:smile:

The fact I opened the post with a crack someone about having the "courage" to file the lawsuit and that I posted the laugh icon at the end of the post presumably would indicate I think the lawsuit is preposterous. I probably have a little more up close and personal experience in being able to detect a frivolous lawsuit than you do but if a sarcastic post prompts another snarky response from you so be it.

At least Pats lackey Bill Simmons recognizes that while Pats fans are thrilled about this potentially legendary season the cheating cloud isn't going away and if it happened to a big rival of his team he would be firing away:

The rest of the country? Not as excited. And that's the real shame of CameraGate -- it's going to completely overshadow the Federer/Tiger/M.J. dynamic of this '07 Pats season. I don't blame non-Pats fans for pooh-poohing everything that happened and making the cheater jokes, only because I'd be gleefully doing the same thing if this were the Colts.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070928&sportCat=nfl

:cheers:

:

tony hipchest
09-28-2007, 08:25 PM

Party time is over.

You can go back to fighting for the scraps.party's over??? :rofl: are you kidding me? you found 1 coach admit to cheating and now you wanna beg for us to leave you alone and exonerate your team? lol. i quoted this stuff 2 weeks ago when the party was just getting started.

fighting for the scraps?

you can go back to fighting for your dignity. youve been on this board for several years trying to convince all steelerfans in the world that the patriots arent juiced up, dirty cheap shot, cheaters. youre 0-3 in that alone. you done struck out.

the partys been over for 2 weeks for you now, litp.

its time to take the lampshade off your head.

jimmy freaking johnson???? :toofunny:

please spare me barry switzers take on the matter. :busted:

Livinginthe past
09-28-2007, 08:42 PM
Hilarious.

Like I say.

Show's over.

i'll leave the more desperate scrambling over the remnants over what was lame smack even at its finest moment.

And Atlanta Dan - stick to quoting page 2 purveyors of strictly light weight football opinion.

I'll go with the guy who has been there and done it ..quite literally in this case.

God knows how many times the Steelers were doing this stuff....even back in 70's?

Not video tape of course, but you can bet that they cheated somehow - its in their steriod taking blood.

Enjoy.

Atlanta Dan
09-28-2007, 08:53 PM
And Atlanta Dan - stick to quoting page 2 purveyors of strictly light weight football opinion

Enjoy.

Cutting response - I better quit posting before I break down in tears:smile:

So Simmons is just another Pats hater? Are you a fan of his only when he says wonderful stuff about your boys?

You really are in denial about this (and if you think Simmons is a lightweight on the NFL listen to his weekly podcast that breaks down the NFL lines - I think you might admit he has some working knowledge of the league, although obviously not approaching your level of expertise)

It's only September - lots of football to be played

tony hipchest
09-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Hilarious.

Like I say.

Show's over.

i'll leave the more desperate scrambling over the remnants over what was lame smack even at its finest moment.

And Atlanta Dan - stick to quoting page 2 purveyors of strictly light weight football opinion.

I'll go with the guy who has been there and done it ..quite literally in this case.

God knows how many times the Steelers were doing this stuff....even back in 70's?

Not video tape of course, but you can bet that they cheated somehow - its in their steriod taking blood.

Enjoy.jiimmy johnson? lol. what was he in the league for? 7 years? when he was exposed as just a product of the hershel walker trade and just another barry switzer he got out. wanstedt had gotten the hint and norve turner isnt far behind.

terry bradshaw on the other hand was able to win all 4 of his rings without him or his coaches cheating. im far more inclined to believe him as opposed to the weak assed sources you cite. as soon as johnson begun the spew you obviously missed live, bradshaw pretty much told him, he was full of shit.

much like im telling you.....

....that the one thing the cowboys and patriots have in common is that neither cant beat the steelers for a ring without cheating. go figure.

:jammin: lets get this party started!!!!!...... right??? :jammin:

Livinginthe past
09-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Cutting response - I better quit posting before I break down in tears:smile:

So Simmons is just another Pats hater? Are you a fan of his only when he says wonderful stuff about your boys?

You really are in denial about this (and if you think Simmons is a lightweight on the NFL listen to his weekly podcast that breaks down the NFL lines - I think you might admit he has some working knowledge of the league, although obviously not approaching your level of expertise)

It's only September - lots of football to be played

I'll take Jimmy Johnson's word over his.

You know...an actual former HC.

Is he a Patriots-hater?

No probably not.

Is he one of a growing band of bandwagon hopping 'journalists who know where their ratings lie?

You betcha!

There's an awful lot of mileage to be made from Patriots bashing at this time, not least with overly jealous rival football fanbases who have come up empty against the patriots time and again - you can go ahead and put you and yours in that group.

Like i've said before, an awful lot of mass sports media is geared toward the uneducated masses - which is proven out pretty much every day.

Oh, and his 'lines' are probably no better than mine - I have enough of a working knowledge of the NFL to make the odd bet pay - so far neither me or Bill have been able to pack in our full time employment to further our career in this area though. :smile:

Atlanta Dan
09-28-2007, 09:08 PM
I'll take Jimmy Johnson's word over his.

You know...an actual former HC.

Is he a Patriots-hater?

No probably not.

Is he one of a growing band of bandwagon hopping 'journalists who know where their ratings lie?

You betcha!

There's an awful lot of mileage to be made from Patriots bashing at this time, not least with overly jealous rival football fanbases who have come up empty against the patriots time and again - you can go ahead and put you and yours in that group.

Like i've said before, an awful lot of mass sports media is geared toward the uneducated masses - which is proven out pretty much every day.

Oh, and his 'lines' are probably no better than mine - I have enough of a working knowledge of the NFL to make the odd bet pay - so far neither me or Bill have been able to pack in our full time employment to further our career in this area though. :smile:

Read Simmons column I linked - Simmons loves the Pats, revels in the fact they are going to enjoy being the villains wearing the black hats this season, but admits why most of the country is rooting against them. More than you are able to do.

tony hipchest
09-28-2007, 09:47 PM

you should really stay away from all those patriot sites.

I have enough of a working knowledge of the NFL to make the odd bet pay - so far neither me or Bill have been able to pack in our full time employment to further our career in this area though. :smile:

:poop: :poop: :poop:

*phew*

Hi y"all! anyone seen my pet bull sally come running through here?

Crushzilla
09-28-2007, 10:15 PM
This lawsuit is the biggest joke.

I guess anytime anything controversial happens everyone is ready to stand around with their hands extended.

So is he going to split this money with everyone who has been to these games? Only those who have their ticket stubs? The pure logistics of this makes my head spin.

People like this should be hung, drawn, and quartered...

HometownGal
09-28-2007, 10:45 PM
I wonder if this idiot has legal representation. I know attorneys can be douchebags (except AD of course :wink02:) but I can't imagine any attorney taking this case.

Oh wait a minute - yes I can. My former boss took a case where a woman claimed she purchased a Snickers bar from the now defunct G.C. Murphy Co., opened it, found it infested with maggots and claims she beat her husband with a toaster because the maggots she ate caused her to go "mad". :toofunny: End result? The court awarded her the cost of the candy bar. :thumbsup:

rbryan
09-29-2007, 01:40 AM
This lawsuit is the biggest joke.

I guess anytime anything controversial happens everyone is ready to stand around with their hands extended.

So is he going to split this money with everyone who has been to these games? Only those who have their ticket stubs? The pure logistics of this makes my head spin.

People like this should be hung, drawn, and quartered...

You guys are all missing the point, this story on the lawsuit is all about making the original revelation seem trivial. Who broke this story??? Oh yeah ESPN, theres your first clue.

Patsies and anyone who would still claim them are scum. PERIOD. BTW litp, couldn't help but notice that you changed that lame sig which quoted Da Kraftmeister spouting prophetic on the virtues of doing things "The Right Way" lol

You had a good run but U and the patsie mystique are all played out.
See Ya.

Atlanta Dan
09-29-2007, 08:17 AM
I wonder if this idiot has legal representation. I know attorneys can be douchebags (except AD of course :wink02:) but I can't imagine any attorney taking this case.
:

Plaintiffs are self-described "public interest lawyers" who filed the class action lawsuit on their own behalf, providing a real life illustration of the adage "anyone who represents himself has a fool for a client."

Class actions are notorious money makers for the attorneys but not members of the class - when I received notice several years ago that (unbeknownst to me) I was a member of the "class" of Blockbuster customers who had paid rental late fees, the other class members and I each got a coupon for a free rental as our settlement benefits and the attorneys representing the class were paid several million bucks in attorney's fees by Blockbuster.:sofunny:

Livinginthe past
09-29-2007, 08:32 AM
You guys are all missing the point, this story on the lawsuit is all about making the original revelation seem trivial. Who broke this story??? Oh yeah ESPN, theres your first clue.

Patsies and anyone who would still claim them are scum. PERIOD. BTW litp, couldn't help but notice that you changed that lame sig which quoted Da Kraftmeister spouting prophetic on the virtues of doing things "The Right Way" lol

You had a good run but U and the patsie mystique are all played out.
See Ya.

Ah. The tiresome ESPN theory makes its umpteenth appearance this year - I guess not many people agree with you - bearing in mind it doesn;'t take much to get an anti-patriots bandwagon rolling thse days.

Most people probably just think you are oddly delusional, including me.

Which is probably why you can't see past the 'mystique' that was ironically created by the media you have such a weird obsession with.

rbryan
09-29-2007, 08:50 AM
You mean kinda like the weird obsession one must have to post over seven thousand times on the Steelers board when you're a patsie fan?

I guess you would be the authority on weird obsessions. BTW its not that hard to see past the mystique anymore.

Livinginthe past
09-29-2007, 09:06 AM
You mean kinda like the weird obsession one must have to post over seven thousand times on the Steelers board when you're a patsie fan?

I guess you would be the authority on weird obsessions. BTW its not that hard to see past the mystique anymore.

Its hardly an obession to post on a board where you like some of the posters - by that I mean those who are capable of talking football without frothing at the mouth or resorting to sounding like an unwanted extra from an episode of the X-files.

I guess you really did buy into the ESPN 'mystique - how do they do it' set up by ESPN and mass media like them - it was designed as an easy 'out' for people too lazy or uneducated to actually see what was happening on and off the football field.

Hey, it only took you 6 years or so - so its not all bad.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-29-2007, 09:14 AM
LITP,

Would it be possible to get a camera into the Bengals Locker room?

I think all of us would like to find out once and for all what the crap TJ Houshmandzadeh puts into his hair.

rbryan
09-29-2007, 09:17 AM
No froth here Nigel. The patsies have been exposed as the cheaters that I always knew they were. Sorry if that revelation has your knickers in a twist. Must be like when a child finds out that there really isn't a Santa Claus.

Livinginthe past
09-29-2007, 09:20 AM
LITP,

would it be possible to get a camera into the Bengals Locker room?

I think all of us would like to find out once and for all what the crap TJ Houshmandzadeh puts into his hair.

Its funny you should mention that.........

We already did that :wink02:

http://play.rbn.com/play.asx?url=nfl/nfl/open/bengals/wmdemand/housh061001.wmv&proto=mms?mswmext=.asx

Livinginthe past
09-29-2007, 09:23 AM
So basically....

* angry conspiracy froth....etc etc*

rbryan
09-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Angry? sure I'll admit to that. You wouldn't be angry if you found out another team was cheating your beloved pats??

Livinginthe past
09-29-2007, 09:35 AM
More angry fluff, still frothing at the mouth..should probably check blood pressure....

*yawn*

rbryan
09-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Maybe you should be the mod. Another 7000 posts and you might be able to convince someone that you're as smart as you think you are.

HometownGal
09-29-2007, 03:20 PM
LITP,

Would it be possible to get a camera into the Bengals Locker room?

If I posted what I believe Doushmandzadeh puts in his hair, I'd have to ban myself. :jawdrop:

MACH1
09-29-2007, 03:59 PM
If I posted what I believe Doushmandzadeh puts in his hair, I'd have to ban myself. :jawdrop:

Ever see "What about Mary", something like that. :sofunny:
http://www.spacegravy.com/sgmedia/graphics/oneliners/movies/SomethingAboutMary.gif

tony hipchest
09-29-2007, 04:06 PM
"space gravy"

hehehe

83-Steelers-43
09-29-2007, 04:20 PM
So that also explains how Chad Johnson got his 'blonde' mohawk?

revefsreleets
09-29-2007, 06:10 PM
All this other stuff aside, the importance of this completely frivolous lawsuit is that it will keep a lot of scrutiny on the Pats until it's tossed out of court.

stlrtruck
09-29-2007, 10:45 PM
I hope the guy gets the money he's asking for. It would go right along with the lady who sued McD's over hot coffee - but none-the-less, I'd love to see the patsies get smoked again.

It's amazing how quickly some want to take this whole cheating story and push it aside as if it never happened. Could that be because the patsies are supposedly the "poster children" for what is supposedly right in the NFL? Think about it - Tom Brady the late round draft pick that wins 3 SBs, Randy Moss - the proverbial bad boy of the NFL being all goody goody in NE, the return of Brewski (yes I know its Bruschi) from his stroke last year (BLAH BLAH BLAH).

Maybe, just maybe, it's time for the patsies to get a good dose of "You're shite does stink!"

I guess we can add to the 1492 thread - Columbus also found out that the patsies cheat!

Preacher
09-29-2007, 10:52 PM
What's funny...

Pats fans STILL think that they are the greatest dynasty :rofl:

They're not even a dynasty yet... let alone the greatest.

And now? Yeah, there will be all types of questions surrounding it.

The lawsuit cracks me up... Couldn't pick a better coach and team to go against. but honestly... I really don't like to see frivolous lawsuits

MACH1
09-29-2007, 11:17 PM
What's funny...

Pats fans STILL think that they are the greatest dynasty :rofl:

They're not even a dynasty yet... let alone the greatest.

And now? Yeah, there will be all types of questions surrounding it.

The lawsuit cracks me up... Couldn't pick a better coach and team to go against. but honestly... I really don't like to see frivolous lawsuits

Its not a dynasty if you have to cheat to get it.

Galax Steeler
09-30-2007, 06:43 AM
Its not a dynasty if you have to cheat to get it.

:sofunny::sofunny:

Counselor
10-01-2007, 04:56 PM
You read about this guy?

Party time is over.

There are a lot of problems with this lawsuit but it's interesting concept. ....I would argue that the guy is a customer of the NFL of which the Pats are a part. Therefore he is a customer of all 32 teams including the pats.
And the NFL destroyed the evidence . . .too bad the guy hadn't filed sooner, or the league would have been precluded from destoying those tapes . . .at least until the suit was dismissed.

dragtruk
10-03-2007, 07:30 AM
What I don't get is why hasn't Vegas gotten in on this law suit stuff. Sports betting is big business. How come none of the losing bettors aren't filing more suits? Try cheating in Vegas and see where that gets you.

Livinginthe past
10-03-2007, 08:53 AM
There are a lot of problems with this lawsuit but it's interesting concept. ....I would argue that the guy is a customer of the NFL of which the Pats are a part. Therefore he is a customer of all 32 teams including the pats.
And the NFL destroyed the evidence . . .too bad the guy hadn't filed sooner, or the league would have been precluded from destoying those tapes . . .at least until the suit was dismissed.

A customer of the NFL?

The guy isn't suing the NFL though is he?

TroysBadDawg
10-05-2007, 11:29 AM
that there really isn't a Santa Claus.

What the heck you mean that there isn't realy isn't a Santa Claus? You should bite your tongue. It is a lie I tell you there is, there really is.

NateC
10-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Paapo Jiii JO. SANTE KLAUS. CHRIS CRINGLE.
12 REINDEER.. I BEEN TO THE NORTH POLE... SHOULD CHECK IT OUT>

steelerbackr4life
10-06-2007, 11:15 AM
I know that in the NY Post next to the Patsies name in the standings there is an asterik. It simply reads "caught cheating".

I was wondering if this is the same in other papers across the country or only in New York?

TroysBadDawg
10-14-2007, 05:59 AM
You know maybe the wrong people are being sued, maybe it should be the NFL for alolowing it to continue, with years of allegations against the the cheaters, and they did nothing about it. when they did get the evidence they distroyed it. they have more allegations about microphones in sholderpads and again the are doing nothing about it. it is the NFL that is as much the fault as anybody for allowing it to continue. They themselves are cheating the fans, but do they care, not one bit as long as the money keeps pouring in they are happy and pigs in a slop trough at feeding time. And we the fans keep feeding them.

rbryan
10-14-2007, 09:16 AM
This story isn't going away. The more the patsies win the more pissed off people are everywhere, outside of New England.

The thing about this that nobody has mentioned is the unfair advantage it was for Brady from the beginning of his career. Most QB's come into the league and get thier azz handed to them. It takes years for them to get the confidence to be a big time QB. Not our boy Brady, whether he knew it or not is irrelevent. Bottom line, the confidence he gained from his coaches always making the right play call based on knowing what the defense was doing is why he is the QB he is today.

IMO, the spygate incident is the tip of the iceberg. The patsies have been cheating in a dozen other ways since the late 90's. They will get what they deserve in the end.