PDA

View Full Version : Niners promote first overall pick to starter

Koopa
10-04-2005, 07:32 PM
San Francisco head coach Mike Nolan promised changes and a big change is what the team is about to get.

FOXSports.com has learned that Nolan informed his quarterbacks Tuesday that he was promoting No. 1 pick Alex Smith to the starting lineup and demoting starter Tim Rattay. Smith played on Sunday night in a mop-up role after Rattay and the first team offense looked dreadful at times.

Smith had originally lost out on the battle in training camp but Nolan has always had an eye on starting Smith at some point this year if Rattay struggled. That point, however, has arrived much faster than one could have predicted.

Rattay is the 27th-rated passer in the NFL and 23rd in yards passing with 667 yards and a disappointing 70.3 rating. He has completed 56 of 97 passes this season.

It is not clear when Nolan will announce the change but earlier today he informed his quarterbacking unit of the flip.

Smith was the first overall selection in April's draft.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4932658

Suitanim
10-04-2005, 07:42 PM
No surprise there...we'll start to see how the '05 draft class of QB's turnout.

I think Charlie Frye will be the name everyone remembers in the end...

Prosdo
10-04-2005, 08:41 PM
It was bound to happen sooner or later.

SteelR1
10-04-2005, 08:55 PM
Let's see what the kid can do!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-04-2005, 09:19 PM
bout damn time if u ask me. He's the future, let him get in there take his lumps and grow w/ the team.

Soldier4Steelers
10-04-2005, 09:30 PM
they better pray he is not a ryan leaf. i hope he pans out. its important for them

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
10-04-2005, 10:10 PM
maybe he can match big bens rookie season :bouncy:
because it seems as though it must have been easy for ben since he does not get the respect he deserves

Ambridge
10-05-2005, 07:48 AM
San Francisco plays Indy this week.

Something tells me that Alex Smith is going to have Dwight Freeney in his face all day long.

Koopa
10-05-2005, 11:39 AM
maybe he can match big bens rookie season :bouncy:
because it seems as though it must have been easy for ben since he does not get the respect he deserves

alex smith is more then likely gonna pull an eli manning rookie season with only 1 win all season. that line they have is horrible, they have no running game, they don't have any reliable wrs, they might as well draft matt lienart cause alex smith is gonna get crushed all season long and it will ruin his career.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
10-05-2005, 06:27 PM
with all jokes aside, hes a young and seems like a good guy, i wish him the best of luck,
the 9ers are a good organization, and i hope he lives up the the pedigree of quarterbacks that come out of there

Suitanim
10-10-2005, 07:42 PM
Alex was 9/23 for 74 yards and 4 picks.

I thought out of the draft he was overrated, and I continue to think he's overrated. He was a system QB, and he's not in the spread option system anymore. I'm pretty sure the best QB out of the '05 class will be a darkhorse like Charlie Frye out of Akron...