PDA

View Full Version : Week 5 Power Rankings

Koopa
10-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Rk Team W-L Last Wk 2005 Only Offense Rk Defense Rk Sp. Tms Rk

1. STEELERS 2-1 1 3 2 9 22
Dick LeBeau's zone blitz schemes vs. the San Diego offensive line that dominated New England looms as the most interesting matchup of Week 5. The Steelers managed to stay on top during the bye week because the Eagles and Bengals won ugly. NEXT: at SD

2. EAGLES 3-1 2 5 5 5 32
The Eagles' special teams, a strength for years, have been brutal this season; they're keeping the Eagles from the top spot. Todd France belongs on a team with Reggie Germany and Darius Holland, but he may not belong in the NFL. Hey, Kathy Ireland was a pretty good kicker in Necessary Roughness ... NEXT: at DAL ? T.O. has stars in his eyes.

3. BENGALS 4-0 3 1 7 2 8
Big mistakes in the red zone turned a would-be blowout of the Texans into a tight game. The Bengals could be undefeated when they host the Steelers in Week 7, but injuries to both the team's centers could hamper them against their next opponent. NEXT: at JAX, and their two awesome defensive tackles.

4. COLTS 4-0 4 6 6 12 21
What if Peyton Manning were a soap opera character? "That bump on my head restored my memory! Touchdown passes ? that's what I'm famous for! Why, throwing touchdowns feels so natural that I will toss four of them against the Titans! That was easy, but my next opponent may put up more of a fight." NEXT: at SF, where the Niners will not put up more of a fight.

5. CHARGERS 2-2 8 4 1 23 13
While everyone was busy watching the Chargers on offense, did anyone notice that Luis Castillo was beating New England replacement left tackle Nick Kazcur over and over? Kazcur is a rookie ? but then again, so is Castillo. Don't be surprised to see him taking down Big Ben on Monday night. NEXT: vs. PIT

6. GIANTS 3-1 15 2 4 18 1
You can talk about Eli Manning all day long, but special teams have played a major part in this team's 3-1 start. According to our numbers, the Giants have gained 23.7 points worth of field position from special teams, and another 3.3 points because Jay Feely has been a better-than-average field goal kicker. NEXT: bye, then at DAL

7. BUCS 4-0 5 10 22 3 16
The high defensive rating shouldn't be too surprising: the Bucs still have a bunch of guys named Simeon Rice, Derrick Brooks, Anthony McFarland, Ronde Barber and Brian Kelly on the defensive side of the ball. Now, they just have to hope that Brian Griese doesn't turn from Buddy Love back into The Nutty Professor. NEXT: at what's left of the Jets

8. PATRIOTS 2-2 6 19 13 24 15
NFL conventional wisdom summarized:
Week 1: The Patriots are so good that they can overcome the loss of Tedy Bruschi and win a third straight Super Bowl.
Week 2: The Patriots have been exposed! They might not even make the playoffs!
Week 3: The Patriots are so good that they can overcome the loss of Rodney Harrison and win a third straight Super Bowl.
Week 4: The Patriots have been exposed! They might not even make the playoffs!
NEXT: vs. ATL

9. FALCONS 3-1 17 8 9 8 17
The first convincing win of the season means a big jump in our rankings. One reason for worry: DVOA ranks their pass defense sixth but run defense 26th. NEXT: vs. NE

10. BRONCOS 3-1 12 12 14 6 23
The Broncos allowed the Dolphins to rush for 151 yards and average 4.6 yards per attempt in the opener. Since then, they've allowed just 2.9 yards per rush against hard-running teams like the Chargers and Chiefs. NEXT: vs. WAS ? : It's Clinton Portis' homecoming as the Redskins come to town.

click here for the rest of the list: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4931952

Suitanim
10-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Giants, Bucs and Bengals are all overrated at this point...thank God it's a 16 week season, and not 4.

Koopa
10-04-2005, 09:09 PM
i don't know about the bucs being overrated for the conference they are in, but the bengals are way over hyped and the giants will probably start slippin.

Suitanim
10-04-2005, 09:19 PM
The Bucs are in the NFC South, along with Last years NFC's #2 (Atlanta) and 2003's NFC rep and recent victor over the defending SB champ Pats (Carolina Panthers). New Orleans is nothing to scoff at either...in fact, this may turn out to be one of the better divisions in all of the NFL.

Prosdo
10-04-2005, 09:43 PM
I have to admit I'm kind of surprised were at #1. I figured after the loss we would fall a little.

bigbensgirl7
10-04-2005, 09:47 PM
We've pretty much been sitting at #1 ever since we lost to the Pats. I realyl don't want to think about it though...honestly I don't give a crap about these rankings...not unless they are right in the end!!!!!

Prosdo
10-04-2005, 09:48 PM
True BBG7. I don't put much on them, but its always interesting to see how the teams go up and down after each week.

SteelR1
10-04-2005, 09:53 PM
I hate ranking like this, it's like the BCS!!

Indy, Bucs and Cincy should share no 1, they are 4-0. Until they lose a game, they are no. 1

Power ranking shouldn't have anything to do with the NFL, that's why we have playoffs!!