PDA

View Full Version : Steelers /Cards Postgame thread

SteelDogFan
09-30-2007, 07:13 PM
Well its 21-7 and 4 minuets left. If nothing maior happens before the end of the game.

I will say we have a silver lining. The NFL is about winning your division first. We beat Cleveland and they beat Baltimore we are still wining our division by a game and have not played Cinci or Balti yet. This game is a loss but in the grand scheme its not a huge one.

Tomlin's first loss doesn't hurt the play-off picture yet.

acemobsoldier
09-30-2007, 07:24 PM
****ing steelers...................

SteelCurtain
09-30-2007, 07:28 PM
this game was reminiscent of last year...2 big mistakes and it costs us the game...

Stillers43
09-30-2007, 07:28 PM
I agree with both of you. We are still in good shape, but F***ing Steelers!

SteelDogFan
09-30-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm not going to start knocking Tomlin yet. But I believe there is something he can take from Cowers notebook. on the 2 yard line put in your power back. Willie was getting stopped for losses all day, on the two yard line put Davenport in to push the pile. I have a question did they run the no-huddle at all I had to do play-by-play on the net.

The Duke
09-30-2007, 07:30 PM
I agree, we're still at the top of the division, let's just focus on seattle now, they'll be an even greater challenge.

At least now Tomlin knows how the team reacts to a loss and will work from there and get them even more hungry to win

TroysBadDawg
09-30-2007, 07:32 PM
I can't believe it we won and you lost. What is this world coming to?

I thought the opposite was going to happen. Oh well they say on any given Sunday any team can beat any team.

I watch both games ours and yours, and still am in shock by the outcomes of both.

ohiosteelerfan20
09-30-2007, 07:33 PM
We just got whooped on the line of scrimage. Both sides of the ball. But I would like to see Bruce Arians try a different play down by the goal line. Same play 4 weeks in row. Kinda of anxious to see how we bounce back next week.

bozz723
09-30-2007, 07:34 PM
How could Tomlin not challenge that first down, on 4th and 1 that Leinert supposedly got?

He wasn't even remotely close to the first and his forward progress was stopped for about 10 minutes.

Also, on the last play of the game, why on earth wasn't offsides called?

All in all, we were 2 inches away from breaking that game wide open. I'm not disappointed at all. Whiz knew our defense and got lucky with Polamalu being out.

We gave that one away.

Paul Pyrch
The Steelers were totally outplayed and Whiz and Grimm had their team psyched and ready. Where was our offensive line today? Ben was sacked four times and threw two interceptions and there could have been more. There simply is no way that we should have lost to the Cardinals and don't bring up the word: parity. The Cardinals wanted the game more.

Bettisberger
I was worried about this game going into it, but I certainly didn't expect it to turn out like this. The Cardinals played well and I give them credit there, but I still believe we were the better team, and the offensive playcalling after the 1st quarter cost us the game. I don't know what our coordinator was thinking with the ARZ stacking against the run the whole game and doing nothing to counter or adjust to it.

manofsteel57
What is wrong with polu shouldn't be in the locker room healing whatever the hell is bothering him. This one hurts! We definetly showed that we should no be mentioned with the top teams in the league. F#$%! What the heck was that 1st and goal from the 4 we throw a pick? That isen't steeler football. Run that in you have 4 downs! Make Statement

bw87a
09-30-2007, 07:37 PM
i still don't understand why any team would pass the ball on the 2 yard line. WHY?!?!?!?!? just a simple side pitch is an easy way to run the ball in on the 2 yard line.

Rush58
09-30-2007, 07:39 PM
we will still win 10 games, but this team is going nowhere. I can't name 1 team in the league that will only throw the ball 1 time on 6 consecutive drives on 1st and 2nd down combine. It's pretty easy to play the pass on 3rd and long and the OL to look so bad.

Atlanta Dan
09-30-2007, 07:41 PM
I am dying to see Ben's postgame comments after trashing Whiz for months - loved the offensive game plan today (not!) - revenge is a dish best served cold:smile:

RoethlisBURGHer
09-30-2007, 07:42 PM
I think if we would have gone to the no-huddle earlier than when we were fown by 14 that the Steelers would have won this game.

FastWillieParker39
09-30-2007, 07:43 PM
Jeez guys calm down. It was one loss, we can overcome it. Sure this loss hurts.....badly, but it doesn't mean we're going nowhere.

Rush58
09-30-2007, 07:46 PM
Where was their secondary rank before the game? And we came out running the ball over and over again? Absolutely mind blowing.

bw87a
09-30-2007, 07:47 PM
i know we can overcome it, but it was ARIZONA! and we could have had a commanding 2 game lead in the division with the ravens loss. and maybe moreso that the loss today could have been avoided. with a few simple offensive plays, we could have won that game.

X-Terminator
09-30-2007, 07:47 PM
I swear to God, I don't think I've seen this much panic over one loss EVER. Did it ever occur to you chicken littles that the Cards play in the NFC? Who the hell cares if we lost to them? I want to win our division and conference games - I could give a shit about a loss to the Cardinals in week 4. It will have absolutely NO BEARING on how this season turns out in terms of getting into the playoffs.

PalmerSteel
09-30-2007, 07:48 PM
That offense looked absolutely embarassing!! Dropped handoffs, miscommunications, 3 false starts, and the OL couldn't hold off a pack of cub scouts.

I demand a test of the gatorade. I think it was spiked.

and dont forget the cardinals punt return for TD. this game definately reminded me of last year as a whole. many problems on the offense (and 1 bad special teams play) which made the D tired. will be interesting if the team goes backwards like last year or forward. imo, the next game agaisnt the seahawks is HUGE on how they respond. next game will be Tomlin's first defining moment as the head coach. wish it was here already.

fansince'76
09-30-2007, 07:49 PM
I find it funny that I see a LOT of SNs I didn't see when we were going 3-0, but now that we dropped one, they come out proclaiming the season is practically over. Get a grip, folks.

X-Terminator
09-30-2007, 07:51 PM
I find it funny that I see a LOT of SNs I didn't see when we were going 3-0, but now that we dropped one, they come out proclaiming the season is practically over. Get a grip, folks.

Which of course should surprise NO ONE.

The Duke
I swear to God, I don't think I've seen this much panic over one loss EVER. Did it ever occur to you chicken littles that the Cards play in the NFC? Who the hell cares if we lost to them? I want to win our division and conference games - I could give a shit about a loss to the Cardinals in week 4. It will have absolutely NO BEARING on how this season turns out in terms of getting into the playoffs.

I'm with you X, of course it's a bitter loss but the division is what matters. Let's just forget about this and move on, seattle is next people, that's what matters

jjpro11
tomlin better work their asses all week and get their heads on straight.

Rush58
09-30-2007, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE=GoSlash27;302199]That offense looked absolutely embarassing!! Dropped handoffs, miscommunications, 3 false starts, and the OL couldn't hold off a pack of cub scouts.
QUOTE]

that's really a product of throwing the ball on 3rd and long. OL are going to see more blitz(s) and thus we are going to have breakdowns and false starts. Our problem is we are too much into this Marty Ball philosophy. We need to actually pass the ball on 1st and 2nd down. 1 pass in a combine 6 consecutive drives on 1st and 2nd down will not do it.

ohiosteelerfan20
09-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Have we not learned from 04 and 05? Its not what you do in week four, it is what you do in week 15 -20. I didnt expect them to go 16 and 0.

Stlrs4Life
Bottom line, our OL still sucks. Thank goodness we have time to correct it. We still have problems on special teams even though we practice more on it.

Infamix
The whole team got physically outmatched today...even the playcalling was off. Special teams (except for sepulveda of course) was bad the whole game. I don't expect this to happen next week...the Steelers will bounce back strong.

Oh yea, someone give Nate the copy of the STEELERS playbook.

Glace
Where was our O-Line?

They were concentrating too much on seeing Whiz and Grimm. How does our offensive line look so good the previous 3 weeks, and then absolutely falls to crap this week?

Former coach loyalty? Faneca had an uncharacteristic false start and let guys slide off a couple times....Smith was embarrassing.

Granted, 'Zona has some talent on their D-line....I won't take it all away from them....but I can't believe our O-Line played like that.

And Tomlin??? A game like today, I didn't like what I saw. No emotion...standing there with his arms folded talking into his headset. No fire...no intensity...

Sure its easy to smile and high-five guys when we're winning....but when we're down and struggling...we need the head coach to get in his guys faces and pump them up. Football is a game of blood, sweat and tears. It's about adrenaline and pushing yourself when everything hurts. An enthusiastic coach is VERY important to keeping his guys in line and getting them fired up to play. Cowher was good at that. I missed that today.

You don't need an oversized jaw and saliva factory to fire guys up...but you need something more than your leader just standing there.

skinart82
It's hard to beat a team that knows everything you're gonna do on offense and even a lot on defense. Maybe we needed a loss to get the heads out of the cloud. But still, the F*@KING cardinals, what the hell.

fansince'76
09-30-2007, 07:55 PM
And Tomlin??? A game like today, I didn't like what I saw. No emotion...standing there with his arms folded talking into his headset. No fire...no intensity....

Yep, here we go - one more loss and the "Fire Tomlin" threads should start.

HometownGal
09-30-2007, 07:56 PM

A-FREAKIN-MEN. :thumbsup:

I'll bet dollars to donuts these are "fans" (and I use that term lightly today) who weren't even born yet during the Steelers' lean years. As Steelers fans, we are SPOILED.

The boo-birds have come out to roost. Shame on you people.

Preacher

I already started one! :sofunny:

83-Steelers-43
Well, here was our wake up call. Bring on Seattle. Tough loss. A game we should not have lost, but we did. Time to move on.

SteelDogFan
We all knew and we all posted about it. Could our secondary cover Fitz and Bold when Warner is QB-ing. This tells us know, at least not in this game. What I'm gathering is we were beat up front. I don't know how many it was but in each drive I saw, "Parker up the middle for -6 yards yards. Thats the time you bring in a back that will fall forward for 3 yards to soften up the "D".

jjpro11
too many stupid penalties.. one straight up cost us a td. i think timmons had 2 penalties on special teams alone. again.. just pathetic.

Preacher
09-30-2007, 07:57 PM
A-FREAKIN-MEN. :thumbsup:

I'll bet dollars to donuts these are "fans" (and I use that term lightly today) who weren't even born yet during the Steelers' lean years. As Steelers fans, we are SPOILED.

The boo-birds have come out to roost. Shame on you people.

Yep.

I really don't understand.

We lost a game. ONE GAME.

skinart82
09-30-2007, 07:59 PM
I am glad that baltimore lost today and cincy will lose tomorrow, so that we still have a lead in the division. Seatle had better practice hard, there will some pissed off Steelers next week. Hopefully Hines will be back and Troy is ok.

HometownGal
09-30-2007, 07:59 PM
And Tomlin??? A game like today, I didn't like what I saw. No emotion...standing there with his arms folded talking into his headset. No fire...no intensity...

Holy sh it - people were B & Ming when Cowher was giving spit-baths. I think Tomlin showed a lot of restraint and professionalism today. He wasn't happy (you could see it in his eyes) but he wasn't going to let his disappointment show on the field. You can bet your sweet bippy he's going to bust their hineys in practice this week.

RunWillieRun
09-30-2007, 08:00 PM
I think this problem was 50/50 coaching/execution. You can't fully blame one side or the other. Just an overall pathetic performance. There is always next week to come out firing on all cylinders and wipe the floor with the seahawks!!

It is only one loss! We can still go 15-1!! (very optimisitic)

Glace

I'm not saying that at all....I'm just saying I want a coach, not a spectator. Tomlin will prove to be a great coach....he just needs to step it up and do what he needs to do when we're down.

Like I said, I'm not expecting Cowher on the sideline....but he needs to do something.

TackleMeBen
tomorrow we all will be calmed down and no more fire tomlin threads..lol

noto45
09-30-2007, 08:01 PM
ZERO Points off of Cardinal Turnovers that was a killer

jim brown
09-30-2007, 08:03 PM
I read all of your comments, some I agree with and some not! But what I didn't like was the casual way we handled some things ,like no hurry up offense and the play calling!! The ist and goal and no power back?? Also why did nate slow up,again, when ben threw him the long ball?? I'm not a n/a but every game counts and I would like to see more no huddles and alittle more enthusiasm from the offense! Have a good day and see you'all next week GO STEELERS!!!!

83-Steelers-43
It was all killer. That's why we lost. We dropped a game we should have won. Some want to down play it, that's fine. Go for it. But eitherway it's over. We got a nice kick in the arse, hopefully we wake up from this and bounce back against Seattle.

Time to move on.

ricksteelers55
You know what I only see good things about that game.

Why ?

We played poorly and still had a chance to tied it up.

Of course I dont understand why throwing the ball inside 5 when you have 3 downs to get to the endzone or at least having 3 points,but Hey we can't change the curse of the game.

Ward wasn't there and neither was 43 so like someone said this might be our wake up call.

We have to regroup and be prepared cause here's our next 4 games

Seattle
Bye Week
Denver
Cincy
Baltimore

These are good football clubs...so get your ass in gear folks

SteelDogFan
This is not being a boo-bird this is letting of frustration due to a loss with other Steelers fans thats a good thing not a bad thing.

The Duke
09-30-2007, 08:05 PM
tomorrow we all will be calmed down and no more fire tomlin threads..lol

yeah, you keep thinking that. People will just be worse tomorrow, I don't think I want to be here to see it

TackleMeBen
09-30-2007, 08:07 PM
yeah, you keep thinking that. People will just be worse tomorrow, I don't think I want to be here to see it

i was trying to be positive...:wink02:

Rush58
09-30-2007, 08:07 PM
People can blame the OL, but as long as we continue to play Marty Ball. We will alway(s) have pass protection problems.

SteelDogFan
09-30-2007, 08:08 PM
I've only been a part of these boards for a short time if I knew it got that bad I would not have started this thread.

warddj86
09-30-2007, 08:10 PM
what's up with troy? and what was ben thinking throwing that ball to heath that was intercepted

TackleMeBen
09-30-2007, 08:13 PM
evidently he wasnt thinking when he threw that ball.

Glace
09-30-2007, 08:15 PM
People can blame the OL, but as long as we continue to play Marty Ball. We will alway(s) have pass protection problems.

I bet the Chargers are wishing they were playing Marty Ball right now.

Guys, seriously, you can't dismiss people as being boo-birds.

A loss is one thing....but when we play to 20% of our true capability, that's what burns the most. Nobody is giving up on supporting this team. I will support this team no matter what, just like I have the past 24 years.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
09-30-2007, 08:15 PM
Tomlin said in an interview a couple weeks ago he's not sure how this team would respond to adversity. I guess he'll find out. The offense was absolutely offensive today.

TackleMeBen
09-30-2007, 08:17 PM
Tomlin said in an interview a couple weeks ago he's not sure how this team would respond to adversity. I guess he'll find out. The offense was absolutely offensive today.
:iagree: i bet the practice squad oline could have played better.

HometownGal
09-30-2007, 08:17 PM
I've only been a part of these boards for a short time if I knew it got that bad I would not have started this thread.

Don't sweat it SteelDog. People are just disappointed and frustrated - can't deny that I am frustrated, as well, but I'm not having a cow over one loss after a 3-0 start to a team not in our division or conference.

I still believe in this team and this coaching staff very much and I'm not embarrassed to say it.

BozMan
09-30-2007, 08:18 PM
I'd like to see Ben throw the ball away or scramble on busted plays. Too many times today he hung on to the ball back there and took a sack for negative yardage.

What's the word on the injuries to Polamalu, Hoke, and McFadden?

Besides playing poorly, we (especially the D) got friggin' BANGED UP today. Yeesh.

One silver lining in this loss is that Whiz and Grimm exposed some potential weaknesses in this team. It's only Week 4, so Tomlin & Co. should have plenty of time to make adjustments.

Edman
09-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Trap Game, people. The Steelers were unbeaten traveling across the country to play an underrated Cards team with a coaching staff that was familiar with us. Winnable or not, this was a trap game. If this crap happened against our division rivals or an AFC team, I'd be worried. Besides, we're not going to go 16-0 every year. In fact, I'm sorta glad the Steelers lost. The pressure of going unbeaten is gone. New focus.

We win three games....'Oh, one game at a time.' 'Let's not get ahead of ourselves,' 'Long season' 'It's early'...

We lose one game(that isn't within the conference I might add)... 'Fire Arians!' , 'Bench Ben!, The sky is fallng!, Our season is over!, Fire Tomlin!

Steeler fans are funny.

HometownGal
09-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Guys, seriously, you can't dismiss people as being boo-birds.

When I see a bunch of people who have never or rarely post here trying to infect the rest of us with their gloom and doom after only 4 games played and a 3-1 record, calling them "boo birds" is mild.

alittlejazzbird
09-30-2007, 08:20 PM
I didn't get to see any of the game until the very end. I'm wondering, in light of all the penalties against the Steelers, who were previously playing almost mistake-free, did it appear that crowd noise was a factor in the penalties?

I was reminded of the Indy game back in 2005, which prompted the Steelers to work on a silent snap count because they had so much trouble with the dome noise. Anybody know if they used a silent count today?

Not completely shocked by this loss....but I'm fully expecting a win at home next week!

Stlrs4Life
09-30-2007, 08:20 PM
"Parker up the middle for -6 yards yards. Thats the time you bring in a back that will fall forward for 3 yards to soften up the "D".

I don't care who was back there today, our OL couldn't run block to save there lives today.

OneForTheToe
09-30-2007, 08:21 PM
O'line was a big problem again. No one, in particular, just the entire line. I wonder if Mahan is really healthy. I think the loss of Ward was bigger than I thought it was going to be. Washington and Wilson need to keep their consentration and step up in these big moments.

TackleMeBen
09-30-2007, 08:25 PM
how about instead of fire tomlin threads.. we start fire oline threads..lol

MACH1
09-30-2007, 08:29 PM
how about instead of fire tomlin threads.. we start fire oline threads..lol

Why dont we just fire the whole team. :wink02:

We can get this all out of our system with a W next week. Its only one loss, were far from being over.

TackleMeBen
09-30-2007, 08:30 PM
Why dont we just fire the whole team. :wink02:

We can get this all out of our system with a W next week. Its only one loss, were far from being over.
i said that early and someone said i had to be kidding.

jjpro11
09-30-2007, 08:33 PM
who the hell was blocking darnell dockett? 3 sacks and 5.5 tackles and a FF.

Glace
09-30-2007, 08:34 PM
When I see a bunch of people who have never or rarely post here trying to infect the rest of us with their gloom and doom after only 4 games played and a 3-1 record, calling them "boo birds" is mild.

:blah:

Look, I never go into a season EXPECTING perfection, or EXPECTING a superbowl. But I do expect a better effort than what I saw out there today.

There is a lot to be happy about with this team....but everything that isn't something to be happy about just showed it's ugly head tonight in the form of a big dump on Arizona's field.

God forbid I criticize the team or express myself when they play badly.

Post count and the time that we lurk these forums means nothing...NOTHING. We are all fans of the game and more importantly, our team.

TackleMeBen
09-30-2007, 08:35 PM
who the hell was blocking darnell dockett? 3 sacks and 5.5 tackles and a FF.
looks like nobody was... maybe the air was blocking him??? :flap:

jjpro11
09-30-2007, 08:36 PM
who are we kidding? we need hines.. 8-9 guys in the box all game long... holmes was the only consistent receiver we had on the field. miller is reliable, but we needed him to block because of the pass rush.

fansince'76
09-30-2007, 08:38 PM

Look, I never go into a season EXPECTING perfection, or EXPECTING a superbowl. But I do expect a better effort than what I saw out there today.

There is a lot to be happy about with this team....but everything that isn't something to be happy about just showed it's ugly head tonight in the form of a big dump on Arizona's field.

Post count and the time that we lurk these forums means nothing...NOTHING. We are all fans of the game and more importantly, our team.

What's much more telling are the folks who ONLY come here when the team loses to criticize.

TackleMeBen
09-30-2007, 08:40 PM
did anyone notice how ben didnt shake Wiz's hand after the game was over?

The Duke
09-30-2007, 08:43 PM

he did? but did he walk near him and not shake his hand or did they not even cross each others path?

jjpro11
09-30-2007, 08:44 PM

i think its safe to say they just dont like each other. thankfully this is the last time we have to hear about it this year.

X-Terminator
09-30-2007, 08:45 PM

But you rarely showed up here when the team was winning, but all of a sudden show up to post after a loss. And you can't see why someone would question that???

TackleMeBen
09-30-2007, 08:49 PM
he did? but did he walk near him and not shake his hand or did they not even cross each others path?
i dont know b/c my channel didnt show it. i only heard the announcers say he didnt seek out Wiz at the end of the game

stlrtruck
09-30-2007, 08:54 PM
Our offense was lethargic at best today. The O-Line didn't know whether to run block or pass block - and I could swear they were in the huddle when the plays were called. I give credit to the cards for playing a great game and making plays when they had to do it. We gave up a lot of THIRD down plays that we shouldn't have. It was definitely a tough pill to swallow!

I'm still wondering why our DBs play so far off the ball and give the WRs and TEs so much cushion, especially on 3rd down and 15?

But it's time to move forward and take care of business at home next week against the suckhags!

TackleMeBen
09-30-2007, 08:55 PM
tomlin just said that their play wasnt up to snuff today...

stillers4me
09-30-2007, 08:58 PM
tomlin just said that their play wasnt up to snuff today...

I told you Tomlin is a genius. :sofunny:

TackleMeBen
09-30-2007, 09:00 PM
I told you Tomlin is a genius. :sofunny:
yes and someone asked him about the injuries and he said that injuries were no excuse for them losing the game tonight.

HometownGal
09-30-2007, 09:02 PM

What's much more telling are the folks who ONLY come here when the team loses to criticize.

THANK YOU. :cheers:

jjpro11
09-30-2007, 09:05 PM
yes and someone asked him about the injuries and he said that injuries were no excuse for them losing the game tonight.

what exactly are the injuries? did anyone ask for an update?

stillers4me
09-30-2007, 09:05 PM

Now the guys are going to see what Tomlin is like when he's not happy.

Any bets on if spittle is involved??? :sofunny:

HometownGal
09-30-2007, 09:06 PM

:blah::blah::blah: :yawn:

Then start acting like it instead of only coming around here when the team doesn't play up to snuff to moan, groan, boo and hiss.

TackleMeBen
09-30-2007, 09:06 PM
what exactly are the injuries? did anyone ask for an update?
he was getting ready to run down them and the nfl network broke away to something else

TackleMeBen
09-30-2007, 09:07 PM
Now the guys are going to see what Tomlin is like when he's not happy.

Any bets on if spittle is involved??? :sofunny:

i will put it this way.. i wouldnt want to be on a plane with him on a 4 hr flight back home :sofunny::sofunny:

TroysBadDawg
09-30-2007, 09:12 PM
There simply is no way that we should have lost to the Cardinals and don't bring up the word: parity. The Cardinals wanted the game more.

I was trying to be nice. Sorry. But I call it as I see it. Yes the Steelers were out played, but again any team can beat any team on any given Sunday. It happened today. But parity is what the NFL wants, they want all teams to be equal, that is why there is free agency, salery caps, profit sharing among the teams, not to mention the new rules they now have in place, Starting with the grass rule. Since when is there a television time out in football? Show me it in the original rules. It was put in to make more money for the NFL and to pay help pay the players these rediculas saleries. oh well rant off, sorry didn't mean to get on a soap box there. have a beer on me :cheers:

steelcityjameser
09-30-2007, 09:26 PM
tomlin showed that he's a bit green. that's fine. like a fine wine, i think he will age well.

the most concerning thing(for me, prob. an overreaction) was after ben's crazy misplay debacle that resulted in the phantom pitch to willie and a poor effort on 3rd down to follow, i swear i saw him(tomlin) laughing with ben about it. player's coaches are fine, but it's his job to get after them when they screw up. nothing huge, but it did sort of irk me.

as for the loss, no big surprise. when you turn the ball over, don't capitalize on gifts, can't run the ball, and lose half of your team studs the ballgame is up for grabs against even the worst teams in the NFL. if you don't put a team away early when you're on the road, watch out.

in a way, the loss is a good wake up call. it's obvious there was alot of off the field motivation for the cardinals. that doesn't mean we need to panic. every dog(or bird) has it's day and today they got lucky and got the win. regroup, step up and get ready for the next game. period.

zoneblitz43
09-30-2007, 09:26 PM
They are who we thought they were...THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!!!

HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!

TackleMeBen
09-30-2007, 09:29 PM
thank you denny green ..lol