PDA

View Full Version : Is Ben the long term solution at qb?

Rush58
09-30-2007, 08:16 PM
I believe so, but it seems the Steelers do not trust Ben. By now we should be a throw 1st and run second team. We are still in the same place we were (philosophy wise) when Ben became the Steelers qb.

Stlrs4Life
09-30-2007, 08:18 PM
Of course he is. Plain and simple, we coold not run the ball today because our OL had no clue that there was a game today. I don't care who was back there in the backfield running the ball today, nobody was going to get very far.

TommyG
09-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Ben did not have any time to throw the ball....we could not keep the defense honest with the pass so we could run the ball....Ben is a franchise QB.....Marino or Elway would not have been able to pass with the protection we had today...Give Ben time and he will get the job done.

Rush58
09-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Of course he is. Plain and simple, we coold not run the ball today because our OL had no clue that there was a game today. I don't care who was back there in the backfield running the ball today, nobody was going to get very far.

I understand that, but we could have set up the run with the pass. The Cardinals have given up big passing yards and we came in running the ball? I can't understand why we didn't throw the ball more on th 6 consecutive drive where we ran the ball on 1st and 2nd down. I still can't get over that.

Rush58
09-30-2007, 08:24 PM
Ben did not have any time to throw the ball....

well, the product of not throwing the ball on 1st and 2nd down on 6 consecutive drives had a lot to do with that.

ShutDown24
09-30-2007, 08:25 PM
Well it sure seemed like they trusted him to me. 32 pass attempts with about half of them coming before we lost the lead?

X-Terminator
09-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Well it sure seemed like they trusted him to me. 32 pass attempts with about half of them coming before we lost the lead?

And how many of those early pass attempts were on 2nd and long or 3rd and long after the run was stuffed on the first 1 or 2 downs? They were still trying to pound the ball with the run even though it wasn't working, and seemed afraid to throw on early downs. To me, that shows a lack of faith to put the game in Ben's hands. I believe if they took the shackles off Ben, he truly could be an elite QB with his ability.

Edman
09-30-2007, 08:44 PM
Besides that awful INT into triple coverage, Ben played well today. The O-Line, Wilson, and Washington gave him no help at all.

OneForTheToe
09-30-2007, 08:47 PM
well, the product of not throwing the ball on 1st and 2nd down on 6 consecutive drives had a lot to do with that.

No its a product of the O'line having their butts kicked. It the O'line plays better and Cedric and Nate run the correct routes things are fine.

stillers4me
09-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Ben played incredibly well considering the amout of scrambling for his life he had to do. Nobody, but nobody does that better than Ben.

I'm just pissed off he still has do do it.

Rush58
09-30-2007, 09:02 PM

Ben was 8-11 with over a 100 yards passing after the 1st and very early into the second period. Instead of capitalizing off the passing game, we went 6 consecutive drives with only 4 passes in total. Sure Ben may have gotten 32 overall, but that was late in the game when we had to throw the ball against a dime/prevent defense.

NV STEELERS 723
09-30-2007, 09:07 PM
I think the fact that Whiz was our O Cord played a huge advantage for the Cards..he knew how to shut us down

Edman
09-30-2007, 09:07 PM
According to this guy...No.

http://mboard.steelers.com/fanzone/mboard/news/70676

stillers4me
09-30-2007, 09:10 PM
We're 3-1, leading the AFC North and people are starting the bench Ben crap???

Let's fire Tomlin while we're at it.

No no........lets' try the Whiz's 2 quarterback system........yeah, that's it. :dang:

stillers4me
09-30-2007, 09:10 PM
We lost one.

GET OVER IT.

stillers4me
09-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Ok.......I feel better now.

TackleMeBen
09-30-2007, 09:16 PM
We're 3-1, leading the AFC North and people are starting the bench Ben crap???

Let's fire Tomlin while we're at it.

No no........lets' try the Whiz's 2 quarterback system........yeah, that's it. :dang:
dont give any ideas to start the we want charlie threads.. (i said that enough last season)

Rush58
09-30-2007, 09:18 PM
According to this guy...No.

http://mboard.steelers.com/fanzone/mboard/news/70676

It seems to me he didn't watch the game. It's one thing if Ben was giving the opportunity to throw on 1st and 2nd down today , but it's another thing when the opportunities to pass came mainly on 3rd and longs. Imagine if Romo had to live on his 3rd conversion ratio, what would his rating be right now? Point made.

Busforever
09-30-2007, 09:19 PM
Ben played incredibly well considering the amout of scrambling for his life he had to do. Nobody, but nobody does that better than Ben.

I'm just pissed off he still has do do it.

I totally agree with that. Big Ben never falls before the 3rd guy trying to sack him. I'm really impressed by Roethlisberger's elusiveness, to talk like a running-back. He's big, he's tough to tackle, he has great sense of rush, and I just like his attitude and his arm. He just need to avoid some concentration mistakes. There are few ones, but against Cards it was crucial (damned pitch, and one regretable interception).
But I'm just happy to have a guy like Roethlisberger as our franchise QB.

Rush58
09-30-2007, 09:22 PM
We lost one.

GET OVER IT.

It's not about the loss. Our current philosophy will win us 10 games b/c we are solid against the run and we can run the ball against most teams. The problem is when we have to play against a really good team that can stop our run and can score on offense. I guess returning to the playoffs is good enough this season.

ShutDown24
09-30-2007, 09:23 PM
Ben is a good QB. He is NOT a GREAT one. No matter how many times his fans insist he could be elite, he cannot be a technical dominate quarterback. I know I am probably going to get flamed for this but I draw more comparisons from Favre than someone like Brady or Palmer... He is a gunslinger. He makes too many mistakes to be that type of QB. We took the leash off last year, what happend?

*Braces for impact*

Preacher
09-30-2007, 09:24 PM
I totally agree with that. Big Ben never falls before the 3rd guy trying to sack him. I'm really impressed by Roethlisberger's elusiveness, to talk like a running-back. He's big, he's tough to tackle, he has great sense of rush, and I just like his attitude and his arm. He just need to avoid some concentration mistakes. There are few ones, but against Cards it was crucial (damned pitch, and one regretable interception).
But I'm just happy to have a guy like Roethlisberger as our franchise QB.

:iagree:

CanadianSteel
09-30-2007, 09:25 PM
I think this would have been a pefect game to run a few series with the "no" huddle attack we were suppossed to have worked on in camp. Have seen it yet and could have changed the tempo a bit possibly in our favour using some short routes and runs out of a more spread offense.
I actually though Ben played OK for the way the line blocked, but that one pick was sure costly !
But hey I am just a fan so what do I know.........

risnuff
09-30-2007, 09:27 PM
To answer the thread title: Yes. Definitely.

X-Terminator
09-30-2007, 09:30 PM
Ben is a good QB. He is NOT a GREAT one. No matter how many times his fans insist he could be elite, he cannot be a technical dominate quarterback. I know I am probably going to get flamed for this but I draw more comparisons from Favre than someone like Brady or Palmer... He is a gunslinger. He makes too many mistakes to be that type of QB. We took the leash off last year, what happend?

*Braces for impact*

We also took the leash off him during the SB run. What happened?

It is absolutely AMAZING how many people forget about that.

SteelCityMan786
09-30-2007, 09:36 PM
We also took the leash off him during the SB run. What happened?

It is absolutely AMAZING how many people forget about that.

Amen to that brother. It's just amazing.

Rush58
09-30-2007, 09:44 PM
Steelers showed no confidence in Ben today. Where were the Cardinals in pass defense coming into today's game?

Lord Stiller
09-30-2007, 09:51 PM
Ben has all the physical tools to be great.

Too bad he can't get a brain transplant

fansince'76
09-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Ben has all the physical tools to be great.

Too bad he can't get a brain transplant

Or an O-line that knows how to pass block....

stillers4me
09-30-2007, 09:56 PM

ding ding ding.....we have a winner!!!

Dylan
09-30-2007, 10:05 PM
what kind of question is that.. they gave ben more responsibility this year and u think they dont trust him? he had one bad game holy crap. i hate people who ask that kind of crap.

:dang:

fansince'76
09-30-2007, 10:07 PM
what kind of question is that.. they gave ben more responsibility this year and u think they dont trust him? he had one bad game holy crap. i hate people who ask that kind of crap.

I think Rush58 does have a point - we should have gone to the air WAY more than we did, considering the Cardinals sold out against the run the whole game. Poorly called game on offense by Arians.

MasterOfPuppets
09-30-2007, 10:23 PM

if you think its bad this year, what do you think its gonna be like next year ?? :shake01:

fansince'76
09-30-2007, 10:24 PM
if you think its bad this year, what do you think its gonna be like next year ?? :shake01:

I'm kinda hoping we go HEAVY on OL in the draft.

Rush58
09-30-2007, 10:25 PM
what kind of question is that.. they gave ben more responsibility this year and u think they dont trust him?

that's my point. This was to game to prove they trusted Ben, instead they tried to pound the ball against 8 men in the box.

HometownGal
09-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Wasn't Ben given the leeway by Arians and Tomlin to change up a play if he saw fit? I could have sworn I read that somewhere here on this board.

I dunno - the OL did not play well today, but Ben seemed a little distracted after he threw that first TD pass to Santo. He overthrew a few and underthrew a few, but I suppose having to have eyes in the back of your head not knowing which AZ defender was going to blindside you can throw off your timing. An OL can make or break a QB's success.

The running attack is a huge part of who the Steelers are and always have been. When a team shuts down the run and takes our bread and butter away, it is almost always devastating.

MasterOfPuppets
09-30-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm kinda hoping we go HEAVY on OL in the draft.
then what ? start a couple rookies?? the FO has dropped the ball the last few years by not looking ahead. you can't always count on finding 5th and 6th rd linemen gems.

fansince'76
09-30-2007, 10:30 PM
then what ? start a couple rookies?? the FO dropped has dropped the ball the last few years by not looking ahead. you can't always count on finding 5th and 6th rd linemen gems.

Might have to - what would you suggest? Really nothing that can be done about it now.

Rush58
09-30-2007, 10:37 PM
The running attack is a huge part of who the Steelers are and always have been.

That's the problem. We should be a balance offense now, but we are still 70% run.

Lord Stiller
09-30-2007, 10:53 PM
Those deep balls he was throwing were beauts!!!

Too bad dumbass Nate Washington slowed down on the one or it would have been right on the money

HometownGal
09-30-2007, 11:06 PM
Those deep balls he was throwing were beauts!!!

Too bad dumbass Nate Washington slowed down on the one or it would have been right on the money

Ben did throw some nice passes today, but I calls them as I sees them. He made several overthrows and underthrows, a few of which I believe were because he sensed footsteps due to the OL's failure to hold back the defender(s).

I know one pass of his that sure as hell wasn't a beaut. If we had scored on that drive, who knows - it may have swung the momentum pendulum in our favor.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-30-2007, 11:19 PM
I believe so, but it seems the Steelers do not trust Ben. By now we should be a throw 1st and run second team. We are still in the same place we were (philosophy wise) when Ben became the Steelers qb.

This question should be removed.

Preacher
09-30-2007, 11:28 PM
Might have to - what would you suggest? Really nothing that can be done about it now.

I say go FA. If we have a need... it is time to fill it.

But people... also remember, this is the first time this season that the O Line actually struggled. They have played pretty good up to this point.

Tankus_Maximus
09-30-2007, 11:31 PM

But people... also remember, this is the first time this season that the O Line actually struggled. They have played pretty good up to this point.

Good point Padre.

Kendall Simmons had the worst game of his career today! He whiffed on a block that led to yet another sack, got called for a false start.....maybe he hears the footsteps of Kemoeatu?

I think that this game just shows how valuable a receiver like Hines Ward is!

Even without our full arsenal (Ward, Spaeth, Polamalu), the Steelers were almost able to force the game into overtime.

This was a game that I didn't like from the beginning of the season.

1 loss, no biggie. Who's next?

FourThreeMafia
10-01-2007, 09:45 AM
God, 1 loss and now people are questioning whether Ben is the answer at QB? Steeler fans are so fickle. I question whether some of the fans on this board even watched the game based on some of their comments. Ben didnt even play that bad yesterday. Like others have mentioned, the OLine and backup WRs didnt help Ben at all. Neihter did Arians playcalling. His first interception in the end zone was bad. He wasnt smart with the ball and forced it. His 2nd INT was not his fault. He had 19 seconds to drive 70 yards without a timeout with pretty much all of the Cardinals players in coverage.

BurghZ0n3
10-01-2007, 09:55 AM
UPs & DOWNs happen to every team....look @ the Eagles yesterday! They were great, but an embarassing loss is inevitable (we're only humans). See if PATS & COLTS could make a perfect 16-0....I doubt it!!! Snap out of it,.... just keep on rollin' :helmet::tt02:

onthebus36
10-01-2007, 09:59 AM
I don't know what game some people were watching. I saw a QB who was running for his life half the game and was still making plays. Ben improvised and made some nice plays once he got flushed from the pocket.

Ben had some bad throws and I don't want to imply he's free of blame in the loss, but he wasn't getting much help from his receivers or O-line. When you hit a receiver with the ball and he's not looking for it, that's not the QBs fault. When receivers are running bad routes, that's not his fault. Ben had two nice long throws to Nate Washington and at least one of them should have been a big gainer.

I'd also lay some blame of the OC. The play calling on that fourth and goal series was pretty bad as I think you, me, and everyone watching knew we were throwing to a TE on 3rd down.

Overall, I was impressed with Ben's play. He was clearly rattled at one point (could it have been due to all the sacks and pressure?) but settled in and ran a nice two-minute offense to get the second TD. He made some great plays outside the pocket including a couple nice scrambles. I don't know what people are complaining about.

Big D
10-01-2007, 10:10 AM

*Braces for impact*

I just told my buddy the same thing. I think that Ben is more like favre and loves to throw unnecesary passes. The thing about ben is when the running game gets slowed down ben loses his mind and starts throwing the ball in any which direction.
Another problem I have with ben is that he tends to play like a rookie, doesn't want to get rid of the ball and if he does normally it goes into double coverage. I do like ben and respect what he has done here. However if you are talking about ben being a franchise quarterback you all have to remeber the type of money it takes to sign a franchise qb. I dont think ben is worth over a 100 million, does anyone think he has thank kind of value? I think the steelers should let it all play it self out and let him play out his rookie contract and see how it goes.

noto45
10-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Ben is our quaterback for the long haul with out a question

rog
10-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Ben should be our QB for the next 10 years he has the talent and ability. To Question him after 1 loss is crazy excpecially if you watched yesterdays game. I don't understand how you could want him gone with everything he has done for this team remember without Ben we don't get that one for the thumb. I am amazed how fans can forget.

TackleMeBen
10-01-2007, 10:42 AM
yes i am sure he will be around for awhile. when you are running for your life you are going to have a bad game.. just look at it this way though, at least we dont have the 49ers oline.. they got their qb injuried yesterday

onthebus36
10-01-2007, 12:22 PM
yes i am sure he will be around for awhile. when you are running for your life you are going to have a bad game.. just look at it this way though, at least we dont have the 49ers oline.. they got their qb injuried yesterday

Or the Eagles O-line. They gave up 12 sacks yesterday! :jawdrop:

TackleMeBen
10-01-2007, 12:41 PM
i didnt watch that game. i was so mad about our loss i was like i am not watching anymore football..lol

ShutDown24
10-01-2007, 01:15 PM

No - I think we should trade for Kurt Warner. :flap::dang::toofunny:

SteelerFanInCA
10-01-2007, 01:15 PM
:dang::dang::dang:

TackleMeBen
10-01-2007, 01:20 PM
No - I think we should trade for Kurt Warner. :flap::dang::toofunny:

i hear that there is a really good chance sexy rex will be avaliable at the end of the season :wink02::flap:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
10-01-2007, 01:24 PM

Why d you ask this question in week 1-3??????
Because we won?

BurghZ0n3
10-01-2007, 02:57 PM
say, Rex would be an awesome backup....no need for Brian St. Pierre anymore, ae?

TackleMeBen
10-01-2007, 03:48 PM
that is a good point. i forgot about him.. now he can go back to the ravens..lol

fansince'76
10-01-2007, 03:52 PM

Normally, I would agree with this. However, given this team's history of staying out of FA for the most part, and the fact that scrub O-linemen are being given $50 mil multi-year deals in FA, I don't see that happening either. If we're gonna go that route, let's just pony up and break the bank for Faneca now, because his services won't come any cheaper this spring.

alittlejazzbird
10-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Besides that awful INT into triple coverage, Ben played well today. The O-Line, Wilson, and Washington gave him no help at all.

Agreed.

And yes, of course he is our long-term quarterback. Why would there even be a question?

Funny how I saw no mention of all his faults in weeks 1-3 when his passer rating was well over 100 and we were undefeated. Puh-leeze.

Hines0wnz
10-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Who's the better alternative......Philip Rivers? Alex Smith? David Carr? Charlie Frye? Trent Dilfer? :sofunny: :blah:

I didnt even see the game but I see 4 sacks of Ben in the box score. That tells me he was harassed often and the coaching (Arians) didnt adjust well. No QB will play well when you are pressured aka McNabb versus the Giants' sackfest last night. I'm sure he will be heralded next week if he throws 4 TDs and just lights up the Sea-chicken's D next week, right? Arians better prepare this week or it could be a repeat (see Sea-chickens/49ers box score).

Edman
10-01-2007, 04:18 PM
People weren't complaining about Ben when we won...

Now after one loss in which most of the entire team had a bad day, now we're thinking about wether or not he has what it takes to lead the Steelers.

I save judgment on wether Ben is the real deal (or a flash in the pan) later on in the season. Sure there are a few gaffes, but would you rather prefer Last Year's Bonehead Ben instead of this years? So far this season, he's done more good than bad.

Counselor
10-01-2007, 05:31 PM
I really hope the title to this thread is a joke. People---it's one game, come down off the ledge.

Dino 6 Rings
10-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Is this even a real question? Or am is this a "lets play around" question...how can you possibly ask if your 4th year QB who already has 1 ring and is unquestionably one of the top 10 QBS playing right now in the league, is the long term solution...

this is a joke right?

Black@Gold Forever32
10-01-2007, 06:12 PM
For real this question is a joke....It would be nice for Ben to have the time in the pocket that Peyton Manning and Tom Brady enjoy......Hell Brady can do push ups and still have time to find Randy Moss for a TD with the time he gets in the pocket.....

ShutDown24
10-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Obviously the team is going to extend his contract after this season unless he completely sucks from here on out. Like, worse than last season sucks. Don't get me wrong - There is a lot of hidden baggage that seems to come with Ben but like HinesOwns said; who else would we get? Drafting another first round QB this early into Bens career is COMPLETELY out of the question and good quarterbacks are hard to come by these days in free agency. He won us a Super Bowl... He is the standard Pittsburgh style QB - Not a huge name elite stats guy, but he gets the job done.

steelpride12
10-01-2007, 06:42 PM
People weren't complaining about Ben when we won...

Now after one loss in which most of the entire team had a bad day, now we're thinking about wether or not he has what it takes to lead the Steelers.

I save judgment on wether Ben is the real deal (or a flash in the pan) later on in the season. Sure there are a few gaffes, but would you rather prefer Last Year's Bonehead Ben instead of this years? So far this season, he's done more good than bad.

I agree, but this is a stupid thread come on 8TD and 3INT is pretty good and a 3-1 record so far is really good yes of course he will be hear for the rest of carrer and is our go to guy thats so dumb.

The Duke
10-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Obviously the team is going to extend his contract after this season unless he completely sucks from here on out. Like, worse than last season sucks. Don't get me wrong - There is a lot of hidden baggage that seems to come with Ben but like HinesOwns said; who else would we get? Drafting another first round QB this early into Bens career is COMPLETELY out of the question and good quarterbacks are hard to come by these days in free agency. He won us a Super Bowl... He is the standard Pittsburgh style QB - Not a huge name elite stats guy, but he gets the job done.

Sadly I think that's the truth, and I'm not saying it because of yesterday's game, it's always been in the back of my mind specially during last season, he can help us win games but he's not tom brady or manning, or even palmer, but he's also not JP Losman or grossman, he's an average QB and I hope he stays with us forever

But to answer the question, yes he is the long term solution at QB

Big D
10-01-2007, 07:16 PM
I guess the next question is what is the cut off on how much ben should make. I dont think ben is worth 100 million. I guess my question would be how much is to much for ben

rog
10-01-2007, 07:50 PM
It is a good thing the internet was not around in the 70's or we would have seen people posting questions like this about Bradshaw. I say give Ben a chance here seriously he is in his 4th year and has already got a ring. Would you really want to go back to the days of Malone, Brister, Graham, Kordell and XFL MVP Tommy Maddox.

Preacher
10-01-2007, 08:08 PM
YES...

Next thread please

iloveben7
10-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Umm Duh? That's such a stupid question. Come on Ben is only in his 4th year and is being mentioned among the greatest QB's ever. People need to give Ben a chance.

I love how kids at school never wore Ben jerseys last year, but I wore mine every Friday even when they lost. At the beginning of this season, I saw tons and tons of Ben jerseys at school, and they said I was copying them. Umm I don't think so